Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:18 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Oh um yeah okay

Kitano's worst film in my opinion. Nihilistic crap.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:56 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Kitano's worst film in my opinion. Nihilistic crap.

But I wonder

Maybe this film was intentionally mindless crap.
I can't shake the feeling that this was just a way to show everyone the middle finger by showing how thrill-addicted and murder-crazed the audience is and how little he cares.

On the other hand, I don't know what 1989 looked like in Japan, so I can't tell for sure :S

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:46 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:But I wonder

Maybe this film was intentionally mindless crap.
I can't shake the feeling that this was just a way to show everyone the middle finger by showing how thrill-addicted and murder-crazed the audience is and how little he cares.

On the other hand, I don't know what 1989 looked like in Japan, so I can't tell for sure :S

i always have to laugh when movies pull this. i was watching this shit tv movie the other day the plot of which was basically "Stone Cold Steve Austin and a bunch of other guys are let loose on a desert island and proceed to Battle Royale it up for the amusement of the viewing public", and at the end they totally tried to pull the "the real monsters here are the audience". Uh no, Mr. Filmmaker, I get what you're trying to say but I'm pretty sure the real monster here is you. It's astoundingly cynical for a creator of entertainment to say that the audience, rather than the creators of entertainment, are to blame for the creation of entertainment which is hateful nihilistic crap - and even more so to do so through the production of further nihilistic crap - see the debate as to whether Bayformers is a genuinely awful series produced by a genuinely awful person, or simply a satire of the ubiquity of same in entertainment - either way the guy in charge is a fucking cock.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:36 pm

I watched Windaria today. I liked it but I'm not sure to what extent I liked it. It did certain things very well. The only significant problems were 1) the fanservice was misplaced (which is usually the case, isn't it?); if they felt obligated to include nudity in the movie, there's a scene where it would have fit much better about halfway through. Maybe it was supposed to represent the "innocence" of the princess but it just felt like shoehorned-in sexiness. And 2) the course of action Izu took didn't seem right to me at all. As in, I couldn't see his character actually taking that path so quickly and easily. It's not that I can't imagine someone following that path, but the way it was portrayed felt awkward.

The ending still made me cry a bit, though, and I was never bored. The visuals were interesting throughout, but the hallucination imagery in the Forest of Doubt was the highlight. The overall feeling had some '80s Ghibli adventure to it mixed in with a lot of JRPG. I wonder whether certain elements were made up for Windaria or are based on legends I'm not familiar with. Especially the ghost ship.

Also, the dog from Genmu Senki Leda is in there.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:50 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:i always have to laugh when movies pull this. i was watching this shit tv movie the other day the plot of which was basically "Stone Cold Steve Austin and a bunch of other guys are let loose on a desert island and proceed to Battle Royale it up for the amusement of the viewing public", and at the end they totally tried to pull the "the real monsters here are the audience".

Sucker Punch is pretty much the same thing. It's also the second of three movies i've walked out on.

see the debate as to whether Bayformers is a genuinely awful series produced by a genuinely awful person, or simply a satire of the ubiquity of same in entertainment

I'm pretty sure it's neither. It's just a mediocre action trilogy, directed by a director who everyone hates because he has a slight skill at making action movies.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:06 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Maybe this film was intentionally mindless crap.

I considered that option too back when I watched it, but Kitano doesn't really leave any room for interpretation. Compare it to, say, Miike's Ichi the Killer which allows for an interpretation that's close to what you suggest, but it's done in a more reasonable and thought-provoking way. On top of that, the film is so awkwardly executed that it's not even possible to like it even if you try to ignore the pitfalls of the script. I like Kitano better when he uses his trademark deadpan comic relief. That's when his films make sense and his characters are more tangible.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:47 pm

Zack Snyder's Guardians of Ga'Hoole movie. basically this is the most absurdly hardcore movie ever and if you dig owls or owl-related subjects you should probs check it out
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:32 pm

Watched Hellboy II. I knew better then to do this, but I did it anyway.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:27 pm

I always like the scary incest elves in Hellboy II. Makes me wish Del Toro would direct something Tolkien after all.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby DevRei17 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:37 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Watched Hellboy II. I knew better then to do this, but I did it anyway.

Why? Hellboy 2 is one of the best, if not the best, comic book movie out there.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:18 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:Why? Hellboy 2 is one of the best, if not the best, comic book movie out there.

The Avengers would like to speak with you.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Sales do not determine quality.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:52 pm

Nuclear Lunchbox wrote:The Avengers would like to speak with you.

You mean Watchmen, right?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:48 pm

So sue me, I thought it was awesome.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:31 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:Why? Hellboy 2 is one of the best, if not the best, comic book movie out there.
I didn't particularly like the first one and this was just more of the same.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:36 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Kitano's worst film in my opinion.

Disagreed.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:07 pm

I just watched World on a Wire. This is something I suspect I would have enjoyed much more had I not read the book it's based on first, or waited longer before watching, as it simplifies Simulacron-3's story and strips away many of the most interesting elements. (Which is... nearly always the case with book adaptations, isn't it?) The visuals are terrific as far as '70s made-for-TV stuff goes, but I just didn't find its take on the story engaging.

I'd intended to watch The Thirteenth Floor shortly but my indifference to World on a Wire is causing me to reconsider; maybe I'll wait a while until Simulacron-3 isn't so fresh in my memory?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:19 am

Well, I just got done taking a friend up on a dare. He wanted me to watch the most depressing film he has ever seen (and this guy has seen a lot of movies); House of Sand and Fog.

Now, as far as quality, the movie is terrific. However, it is fucking depressing. Watching Schindler's List is more uplifting and positive. It is on par with works like Grave of the Fireflies or NGE post-Bardiel.

If you do want to watch this movie, which is about a woman who proceeds to make a complete and utter train wreck of the life of a family who bought her father's house in auction, just be warned that it is excellent, just not a fun movie. If there is a takeaway from it, I suppose it would be "beware of unintended consequences".
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:07 pm

I really should be saying that the last movie I watched was Rebuild 3.0. However, this is not the case because I got like 1 minute into the cam rip and decided that the sound was just so lacking and I would enjoy it better once a disk rip is out. The rotoscoped film quality was surprisingly decent though.

No friends, the last film I saw was the latest remake of Les Misérables, which was fantastic in my opinion. Far darker and edgier than any of the theater versions I've seen, and naturally that's because one can usually fit more things into a film than on theater. (Don't get me wrong, as a thespian myself, I know there are lots of things that work out better on a stage than on a screen, Noises Off for example) I was really able to get behind the characters, and I feel like it cleared up some of the plot for me.

Just before that, I also saw Lincoln, which was very intriguing.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:31 pm

I watched The Hobbit yesterday.

Needed to use my self-control techniques for laughing out loud when one the goblins died featuring the Wilhelm Scream.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Return to “Film and Video”