[MANGA] [NGE] Shinji & Rei in volume 8

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
KaworuNagisa17
Embryo

[NGE] Shinji & Rei in volume 8

•      
  •      

Postby KaworuNagisa17 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:39 pm

Who gave cheers or jeers about Shinji & Rei's scene here?

the manga has built up this pseudo-incestual couple and again showed it, by having them hold hands for a third time

anyone really like or hate this?
Is Gendo Ikari gonna have to choke a bitch??

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Not this discussion again!

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:11 pm

A favorite among eva fans, the is Rei and Shinji incest question!

Shinji at this point has no idea Rei is a clone of his mother.
Rei knows what she knows, but she loves him.

I never really thought the relationship had anything to do with incest.

I mean even if she is a clone, or child of lilith or whatever, can you really consider it incest?

As far as th scene goes I liked it, I always like Rei and Shinji together.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:59 am

That did kind of weird me out a little bit.

I thought that it was some kind of comforting scene. Ayanami was glad to have Shinji back, and she doesnt really know how to understand, let alone show the feeling.
Misato hugged him and such, and Rei asked to hold his hand. I suppose it gave her some kind of reassurance that he was back and alright.

Meh, my two cents.
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:49 am

Holding hands does not equal incest. I always thought of Shinji and Rei's relationship closer to that of a brother and sister.

Has anyone seen Koi Kaze, or .HACK//Legend of the Twilight? They both have disturbing incest undertones.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:35 pm

Argh, I can agree to the .Hack//Legend of Twilight thing.
Altho, I think that was a little worse than the Shinji/Rei because they actually knew they were siblings ... whereas Shinji and Rei don't know (or at least didnt know at first) the way in which they were connected.

I stick with my comfort assumption on this subject, I guess.
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:50 pm

I didn't really have a problem with the holding of the hands, but I hope that it isn't taken any further than that. I just don't like the thought of those two getting any closer, you can try and explain it away all you want, but to me it would still be too incestuous.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:24 pm

Did Rei really know that she was a clone of Yui at that point? o_o; In any case, I didn't think of it as incest. It was just a nice mushy-sweet moment. And Rei seems to have more of her own mind, and wants to be her own person.
Close your eyes and listen hard

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:26 pm

Hehe, I saw that part when flipping throught the manga at the store. Oh how I want to buy it! But the whole incest is to disputed. I'm not even going to try to explain why it isn't incest. But, I for one, as somewhat of a Shinji+Rei fan, think there is no problem with it.

aranami
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby aranami » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:53 pm

From a biological standpiont Rei is not his mother. Her body came from Lilith. Therefore they are not related
"Immortality! Take it! It's yours!"

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:10 pm

From a biological standpiont Rei is not his mother. Her body came from Lilith. Therefore they are not related

Her soul is Lilith's soul. Her body is Yui's body. There are different interpretations regarding how much each element crosses over into the other (whether she might also contain part of Yui's soul or possess a portion of Lilith's genetics), but physically, she is still a good percentage Yui, hence the identicality.

I still don't have a problem with it, though. I agree somewhat with the brother-sister angle, though the more ambiguous that impression remains, the better. Romance isn't always sexual, and I guess that's why this possibility appeals to me so much, though I doubt it will ever reach that status. In light of the inevitable, it just seems sad.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Invincible Kaji
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Invincible Kaji » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:09 pm

Phaze wrote:Holding hands does not equal incest.

Good thing, otherwise a lot of parents would get arrested for crossing the street with their children.
Penguins aim for me.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:33 pm

Good point. When I first saw this I thought many of the same things. But look at the scene itself. She says something along the lines of "The second time I felt....... content. May I hold your hand again?" I feel that she is expressing a desire to learn just what it means to be human by becoming close to Shinji. Dosn't mean that I like it though....... (<--------Shinji/Asuka Fanatic)
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:44 am

damn Rei..and her not understanding her feelings...that scene makes it seem like she asked Misato for help..lol
she probably just didnt know what to do
and the incest idea is kinda ridiculous...
from a genetic standpoint, perhaps but like isnt half of Rei's DNA from lillith?

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”