Q mod policy is retarded

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:42 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:In what way was it a mess? People keep saying this and I just don't get it.

For one thing, people wouldn't stop posting spoilers in thread titles, most people wouldn't even conform to using "[Spoilers]" or "[No Spoilers]" tags in threads so that when people who see thread links on the front page or in their "New posts since the last time you were here" page, know that when they see an innocent looking thread titled "Shinji is the best!" they know that it's in the rebuild subforum and that it actually contains spoilers galore. The worst was thread titles that contain blatant spoilers because those are exposed by default in new post streams. The thread titling has actually been mitigated this time because of the nazi on-topic rules that were employed when the forum was so loaded that moderators couldn't rename threads, move posts, lock threads, etc. because the moderator control panel usually takes twice as long to load than viewing a thread on a good day. (Note: the "[Spoilers]" tagging was tossed since nobody followed it, with warnings and all, and the entire subforum became fair game spoilers except for the 2 or 3 threads with the "[No Spoilers]" tag on it).

Second, as soon as production images or new trailers would come out (that would fall under the spoiler policy because they were released after the movie) people scurried to make avatars out of them. You'd think it would be a no brainer not to put stuff like that in an avatar, but people did it in droves. Admittedly, most of them were borderline but some were pretty spoilery, Mari nearly "kissing" Shinji was a popular one.

Finally, it didn't prevent spoilers from staying in the rebuild subforum. While discussion about rebuild stayed in the subforum, you had plenty of "but in Rebuild you could see Bardiel in the plug with Asuka" for example, in the Discussion Forum thread about whether Bardiel needed the entry plug or not, or Bagheera's comment about 3.0 Shinji's situation (no spoiler tagged, no warnings), completely a remark in passing in the pictures thread.

As an aside to the 3 points above, I'd like to note that the policy started with a "keep spoilers in the rebuild subforum" and when each of these issues arised, we needed to amend the policy to account for them.

As for #3, the number of people who left during 2.0 (there's a thread full of them, which doesn't include the PMs and emails that I got from others) and it's year long spoiler policy, was probably 3 or 4 times more than everyone complaining about it in this thread combined. Some of these people felt they had to leave the entire forum because spoilers were flying around, unmitigated by warnings, in thread titles, avatars, or just plainly out in the open for all to see in threads outside of the rebuild subforum. Some claimed that they'd be monitoring the website's front page for news on when it is ok to come out of hiding, since like some here have correctly noted, the rest of the internet is pretty much "we don't care about spoilers, so if you do, then leave now" and there would be no other way for them to know if there was a Japanese DVD release of the movie or when an announcement is made. That's one of the main reasons we have a spoiler policy at all, because if it's just left to #1, we may as well not bother with spoilers and let the couple of dozen people who really want to stay unspoilered leave the forum for a year.

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:What I don't understand is, if this policy is so justified, why are people getting so venomous in defense of it and resorting to personal attacks while defending it?

It's probably in response to the absurd level of hyperbole from the people who feel their rights as forum members are being trampled. Eventhough this policy was used for 2.0 for a better part of a year, and is even less restrictive than the 2.0 one, and nobody complained about it back then.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:59 pm

If I could actually remember what Bagheera said in that post, I would be severely pissed right now, since I read it before the mod-squad cleaned it up. Thank Lilith my brain decided to pass over that one without letting it sink in.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:18 pm

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:What I don't understand is, if this policy is so justified, why are people getting so venomous in defense of it and resorting to personal attacks while defending it?

I'm done arguing with you but I thought note that the only one who's sparking that venom is you. The threads been pretty civil otherwise.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:37 pm

If I get suspended, warned or banned for this, I don't fucking care. I am sick and tired of being insulted and the mods not doing a goddamn thing about it.

View Original PostCJD wrote:I'm done arguing with you but I thought note that the only one who's sparking that venom is you. The threads been pretty civil otherwise.

You honestly can't see the shit that you are throwing my way, can you? Do you honestly believe your last post to me was civil? You have, from the start of your interaction with me, have done nothing but spit venom in my direction, long after I cooled down and began articulating my points in a rational, non-insulting manner.

I have directed you to my posts in this thread where I addressed your points and you dismissed them. Instead, you continue to hurl insults my way and dismiss every one of my points with ad-hominem and obfuscation. Even now, you pull the "I'm done arguing with you" card to ass-pull some sort of inflated sense of faux-maturity on the issue when it is crystal clear you have the emotional control of a self-centered, egotistical child.

Oh, and if you think I have been uncivil thus far, no, you have not seen me uncivil. Not even Bagheera has seen me be "uncivil" on these boards. If you do want to see that, then please, continue insulting me.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:48 pm

View Original PostAnonymous_Evafan wrote:So my question is would a compromise where warnings are reinstituted BUT if they are not heeded a much harsher ban is levied be acceptable to all parties?

I was thinking about something like that, what does the staff think about it? Or has it been already tried out last time? I think that I asked it before without receiving a reply, it's probably understandable in the middle of this mess, did you give short bans after the warning or long (more than one week) ones?
View Original PostOrnette wrote:As for #3, the number of people who left during 2.0 (there's a thread full of them, which doesn't include the PMs and emails that I got from others) and it's year long spoiler policy, was probably 3 or 4 times more than everyone complaining about it in this thread combined..

We have more than enough time to recover, I doubt that donutking and Bag will be the only ones to leave the forum because of this policy.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:50 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:We have more than enough time to recover, I doubt that donutking and Bag will be the only ones to leave the forum because of this policy.

I'm getting really close, but it's not because of the policy specifically. It's because of a pattern of behavior that I have seen time and again on other forums that I am starting to see here too.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Time, gentlemen please.

View Original PostZapX wrote:Ok, I'm stopping this shit right here. If you want to discuss the spoiler policy, that's fine but all this shit slinging, ridiculous comparison and personal commentary ends here. Discuss the policy, not the people. This is your one and only warning. Any more of this crap and I'm locking this up because it's bordering on ridiculous now
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:57 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:We have more than enough time to recover, I doubt that donutking and Bag will be the only ones to leave the forum because of this policy.

To clarify, those people who left were the ones who didn't want to be spoiled. I'm comparing the people who threatened to leave because of the policy vs the people who left during 2.0 because our policy wasn't good enough or that they simply didn't want to risk getting spoiled so they left anyways (some made up their minds even before the movie was in theatres) and how much greater that proportion was.

Come to think of it, there were probably more unspoilered people who idled in #egf's IRC channel because that place was spoiler free, in hopes of getting news about a release date, than people complaining in this thread.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”