Trading Card Games

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Trading Card Games

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:47 pm

Here is where you post anything and everything to do with TCGs of any sort.

This year I'd gotten back into Pokémon Cards in a big way and yesterday I went to my first tournament. I wasn't as completely destroyed as I was expecting to be and managed to win 2 out of my 5 matches (though I had a good shoot at winning a third if my opponent wasn't so slow and timed out the game).

I was running an Eelektrik recycling deck with Zekrom EX and Mewtwo EX as my main attackers, with Raikou EX, Thundrus and Zapdos as backup. There was a lot of Terakions around which I wasn't too happy about (because most of mu stuff was weak to fighting). It was a lot of fun and I'm definitely going to try and do it again, though the tournaments are often pretty far away.

Some Photos  SPOILER: Show

A few friends of mine are into Yugi-oh too, and one is looking forward to a pre-release event next week, though I don't know much about Yugi-oh or what's going on with that.

So, what are you lot into?
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:01 pm

I sometimes play Yu-Gi-Oh.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:51 pm

A friend of mine (same one who got me into Evangelion) has been trying to reel me into the world of MTG (Magic: The Gathering) ever since he got into it at college. I have a deck's worth of cards from a draft that he held in July. It's a blue/green deck that focuses on the soulbond ability. The draft was fun, but I don't think I'll actually get into MTG for myself anytime soon.

When I was younger I went through the obligatory Pokemon TCG and Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG phases. I was mostly into collecting Pokemon cards - I was around 7 or 8 years old at the time. I was into Yu-Gi-Oh! around the end of elementary school and the beginning of middle school, when the anime was big in America. I still have all of my Pokemon cards in a box and a binder (for dem foils) and my Yu-Gi-Oh cards are in a bin under my bed.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:12 pm

Played MtG off and on for years, currently off. Great game in theory but not worth the expense to stay current.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:42 pm

I played Magic the Gathering a decade ago. Anybody want my cards?

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:45 pm

I used to play Yu-gi-oh back when 5Ds was airing. I ran a infernity deck but dropped the game. Far too expensive.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:28 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I played Magic the Gathering a decade ago. Anybody want my cards?

You might want to take them to a comic/gaming shop and see what they'll give you for them. Some cards can be worth a fair amount.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:55 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:You might want to take them to a comic/gaming shop and see what they'll give you for them. Some cards can be worth a fair amount.

I met a guy at Comic Con who claimed to have a 4 copies of an MtG card that's worth $6,000. I'm pretty sure he keeps them in a safe.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:45 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I played Magic the Gathering a decade ago. Anybody want my cards?

Ebay them.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:47 am

I played Yugioh when I was younger but fell out of it when I moved and didn't have anyone to play with. Used to go to regional tournaments and stuff, was a lot of fun even though I'd only win a few rounds before I got knocked out. Recently I've been satisfying that itch through Dueling Network, a platform I wish existed 7-8 years ago.

Unfortunately I never got into Magic. Not that I didn't want to, just that all my friends played Yugioh. Sucks because if I had played Magic instead I'd probably still be playing. Thought about getting into it now but my free time and money is limited enough as is, and TCG's put a strain on both of them (especially money).

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:52 am

@CJD Dueling network?

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:03 am

Dueling Network

Click the skip intro button and mute the music in the bottom right if you don't like it.

Stupid fucking design decision to put that on the homepage.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:12 am

Cool looks interesting.
A mute website is a good website.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:29 am

Related --
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/11822/Card-Game-Magic-the-Gathering/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/7061/Card-Games/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/12260/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:57 am

I play M:TG casually. Casually, as in, my brothers play it, so it's usually just when they're up for a game or two. A lot of their friends are into it too. I also hang around the comic-book shop a lot and they have Friday Night Magic and casual games/tournaments on Sundays. I dabble, and will probably start playing more when I'm working there (If that eventuates).

My decks always usually focus on Green dual-build with either White or Black. I like the unconventional stratagems.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:08 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:You might want to take them to a comic/gaming shop and see what they'll give you for them. Some cards can be worth a fair amount.

I have kept current only insofar as knowing rules and new abilities, but I still have my old-school decks. It amazes me how these newer sets forget some of the old, nasty tricks that still have little to no effective defense to this day.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Quadhonk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:30 am

When I was a kid I played Pokemon TCG. Used to go up to a local comic store where there was tournaments every saturday. It was always tons o fun, had all my badges and everything. Stopped going around middle school.

I've had the same MtG deck since I was eleven. It's green deck, it's still in my bottom drawer. Haven't played a game in a while. I mostly used to play with my brother and best friend. My bro had a black/red burn deck. My friend had a lockdown deck, it was the most annoying deck you could ever face in a TCG. I remember he had four counterspells, four arcane denials, icy manipulators, it was just brutal.
It's difficult in times like these; ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality.
It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical.
Yet I cling to them because I believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
- Anne Frank (21 July 1944)

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:40 am

Went to a Boundaries Crossed pre-release event today, t'was fun. Basically you pay $40 and get given 6 boosters with which to make a 40 card deck, with basic energies provided by the store, then you have a tournament with the shitty decks you've made.
It was cool mainly because everyone was completely new to these cards so no-one had super awesome well refined decks that aren't really much fun to play against. Also, for every win you get an extra 2 boosters at the end of the tournament. I won 2 boosters.....
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:00 pm

For anyone who's interested, my roommate regularly streams MTG matches in all formats: http://www.twitch.tv/andrewcuneo

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:04 pm

I'll take em, been looking to get into legacy. Anyway I've been playing magic on and off for the last 8 years. Been taking it really seriously for the past 6 months though. Ton of fun playing Bant control.

Also the stream Ornette linked to is fantastic. Music is great and he gives really awesome insight into the game

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”