more tags?

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:24 am

And Kaji, too.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:25 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:This strikes me as more of a geek code block than anything. Shouldn't we just come up with a convention and sig it as desired?

See first post. Yes it could just be a sig thing, sure, but it's an easy addition and a nice visual shorthand for a lot of what goes on around here, especially useful for bringing newbies up to speed on the community. I think if kept fairly simple it can be implemented in a manner that is far easier to read fashion than the typical nearly undecipherable geek code blocks.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:43 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:See first post. Yes it could just be a sig thing, sure, but it's an easy addition and a nice visual shorthand for a lot of what goes on around here, especially useful for bringing newbies up to speed on the community. I think if kept fairly simple it can be implemented in a manner that is far easier to read fashion than the typical nearly undecipherable geek code blocks.

Well, it's not like that icon business won't be indecipherable anyway. You're gonna be looking at a learning curve here no matter what you do.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:41 am

I'm all for NemZ's idea. I don't think it looks bad at all, and it is a nice way to quickly learn others' positions on common topics. I see no downfall to it whatsoever, and for the people who don't want to use it, well, they don't have to use it.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:27 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Well, it's not like that icon business won't be indecipherable anyway. You're gonna be looking at a learning curve here no matter what you do.

True, but that's another way in which it would benefit from being an official forum feature rather than just something people do. If it's all part and parcel of the profile setup then noobs have immediate access to a translation key when they join. Between than and using iconography rather than coded text it should be fairly self-explanatory.

For this same reason I'm going to suggest each should use a drop-down menu button (more compact than radio) rather than open text fields. This limits the complexity to one choice per form and prevents people from making a mess of things by trying to express themselves unguided.

So what do people think of this list? Anything to add or that you think doesn't belong? What options should each offer (keeping it practical)Help me out here.

NemZ wrote:Preferred answer to concurrency issues
Shipping
Sub vs. Dub
Rebuild sequel theory
Self-assessed eva fandom level
Watch for the charecters, story, or action
Misato was (not) coming on to Shinji
Yui is (not) a bitch
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:30 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:So what do people think of this list? Anything to add or that you think doesn't belong? What options should each offer (keeping it practical)Help me out here.

The last two don't really fit the pattern of the rest. Maybe have an option with two fields, where you pick a character and then a descriptor? Something like

X:Y

where X is a character name (SI, ASo, RA, KN, etc) and Y is a descriptor (B, S, A, E, etc). So if you think Shinji is awesome you'd have SI:A, and if you thought Misato was a slut you'd have MK:S.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:16 pm

that's sort of amusing... though it would allow for some schenanagins like saying Kensuke is a slut. :lol:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:34 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:that's sort of amusing... though it would allow for some schenanagins like saying Kensuke is a slut. :lol:

Hey, a boy can dream right? :naughty:

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:34 am

So are people actually interested in this or not? This would be one time I wish we could add polls.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:36 am

I don't know yet whether or not I'd personally use it, but I think it'd be an interesting feature to include.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:11 pm

It looks a bit complicated, but surely people will eventually get used to it with time, plus it can indeed be an useful feature. Not exactly necessary, but useful nonetheless.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Don't see any use for it at all, really. I don't really care what peoples' views on any of these subjects are. There's too much bitching and arguing on this forum as it is, now we need a system to tell us at first glance who we like and who we don't? I think it'd, at its core, make this forum even more divisive than it already is.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:11 pm

I think it's interesting but the terms need to be cleared up and/or kept simple. Looking at the stuff posted on the first page it might as well have been machine code.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:45 am

We might as well give it a go. If it doesn't work out we can always change things back.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:03 pm

I recommend that Ornette code the forum to be 10000% more awesome. Can you handle that, buddy?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:37 pm

So what codes should be used to simplify things? What topics should be avoided? That's what I need help figuring out and what needs to be aproved by the staff before this is going anywhere.

I posted a list above, but it needs work. It needs more people's input than just mine.

EDIT: and since a week has gone by and nobody offered said input... well nevermind then.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”