Unofficial EvaGeeks.org Steam Group

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:00 am

I'm also on a budgetary diet too, but that has more to do with me spending money at SMASH! and on Amazon.co.uk than the Steam Summer Sale. Actually, I spent only a little more than ten dollars on this sale. In the Christmas sale I probably spent around twenty dollars, and between that and the summer sale I spent around fifteen on Portal 2 and Morrowind when those were on sale.
I'd like to play Skyrim someday too, but I know that Bethesda will eventually roll out a GOTY edition for that and it'll probably be more worthwhile than the game as it has been since release... oh, and because I haven't played Morrowind yet. But all things in their time, I guess.
Voluntary Illusion.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:11 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:So, how did you folks survive the Steam Summer Sale?
I already mentioned getting Mirror's Edge, but I also picked up Limbo which I played over the weekend and Half-Life which I plan to start next week.

As much as joke about the sale.... I'm broke as fuck. I bought Fable 1 for $2.50 to get the achievement, traded a friend a CSGO beta for Arma 2 CO, and bought a Summer Key and Juggernaut Announcer Pack for DOTER 2.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:17 am

Hey, speaking of which, I've still got an accidentally bought unused giftable copy of Frozen Synapse for anyone who wants to gift-trade. $10 normal value, $5 on the Steam sale.

Too bad there's no medium of exchange, now I have to rely on a double coincidence of wants! </economics>
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:17 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:So, how did you folks survive the Steam Summer Sale?

Quite well, actually! I picked up combo packs for both the bioshock and deus ex series (decent enough FPS/adventure substitutes for Fallout:NV now that I'm pretty much done with that) as well as binding of issac + expantion, all for just over $50. That should keep me busy a good long while!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:51 am

I'd gotten most of what I wanted during the winter sale back in December. I Honestly think I spent more getting a gift for some of my friends than I did on myself.

All I got this go around were Total War: Fall of the Samurai, a couple of Shogun 2 DLC packs, and the Penny Arcade games. Judging by how much I've been able to play games the last few months, I couldn't justify getting much more than that.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:56 am

Got Ys Origins and Oath in Felghana, can't complain :D
Also bought Isaac and Hitman Blood Money as Gifts.

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ssguy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:31 pm

I bought almost nothing, and most of it was just a game or two for friends.

That's only because I was slaughtered in the other sales though.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:33 pm

I only bought one game for my friend.

I think I fared pretty well.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

PolarisX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PolarisX » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:50 pm

I bought a copy of Terraria, that was about it. Everything else I owned or had no interest in.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:32 pm

I think I might get used to these evageek L4D2 events.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:55 pm

You guys are doing events?

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:07 pm

Not really.
I was just in the mood for some L4D2 and invited some people.

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Rj123541 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:10 pm

I should start using my steam account I haven't played my games in so long.....
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm still not clear on exactly what people do on Steam that they don't do on the forums or IRC, but I'm happy to find out if anyone cares to share.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:39 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I'm still not clear on exactly what people do on Steam that they don't do on the forums or IRC, but I'm happy to find out if anyone cares to share.

Well, for me it's a matter of accessibility. Forums are an entirely different beast than chatting. Discussion on them is slower, so it consequently is of a higher quality, both in merits and quality of the individual post. Discussions also last longer and stay archived longer on forums.

Steam "Chatting" is closer to IRC, but the best analogy would be AIM/Yahoo way back in the stone age when those programs were used to talk to friends on the fly. For me I never really hit it off with IRC, I like my text discussions, if they feature a mass amount of people, slower so I can read it all and respond how I like. I've already said how much I prefer responding to individual points, or "Omnislashing" as you guys call it, but that's not possible on an IRC. Plus I suck with small talk and I can't edit posts in IRC which just makes it a non interest for me. IRC is also just another program to run. I already run Steam on startup and have it running all the time since it connects me with friends (both actual friends and "friends"), so IRC would just be redundant. Steam also does have a Chat Room function that would fit the bill of IRC but I don't think anyone in the group uses it, at least not when I checked after the group was formed.

And, of course, there's the fact that Steam is used to play games. Steamworks is easily the best multiplayer system on the PC, probably better than any of the console systems too, and Steam is the leading digital distributor. I'm not sure how much you know about it but games that support Steamworks allow me to easily invite friends to a game just by clicking them in my friends list. If I used forums or IRC for that it would require a few things to be successful:

1. People would have to be reading the forum when I posted it to respond. I don't think any of us sit here and F5 for hours so that limits a posts instant exposure and when they do respond, hours later, I may not be interested.
2. People would have to be paying attention to IRC or it would risk going off screen. I suppose IRC also has PM's but so does Steam. Like, right now as I'm typing this IO just PM'd me on steam and it popped up nice and flashy.

Really a better comparison for Steam would be Facebook. You have a connected group of "friends", you occasionally engage in 1 on 1 chats with them, and a key feature of it is that it's so huge, with something like 40 million users "Everyone" has an account. They've expanded the Facebook style most recently with the launch of an improved community page that allows you to post screenshots, videos, and status updates that all your friends can see on their community page, like the Facebook home page.

Really, if any of these guys are using Steam like IRC or Forums I'm not aware of it.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:51 pm

Huh. Looks like I already have an account; I forgot Skyrim used Steam, mainly because I went and installed it and it gave me the finger. Oh well, the account still works. Happy to join the group if anyone cares to invite me. Handle's Bagheera_Rising 'cause someone went and stole "Bagheera", damn it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:11 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Huh. Looks like I already have an account; I forgot Skyrim used Steam, mainly because I went and installed it and it gave me the finger. Oh well, the account still works. Happy to join the group if anyone cares to invite me. Handle's Bagheera_Rising 'cause someone went and stole "Bagheera", damn it.

Is 'Bagheera_Rising' your account name (what you log in with), your display name (what you see if you click Friends), or the ending of your URL on your profile (like Et_cetera in mine)? Searching hasn't turned up any results. Just click one of our profiles in the OP and add one of us to your friends list and we can invite.

[s]Also if you try now you might have problems. Steam's down at the moment so if you can't log in wait an hour.[/s] Steams back up.
Last edited by CJD on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Rj123541 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:37 pm

If I start using steam again IO you better play with me.
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:43 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Not really.
I was just in the mood for some L4D2 and invited some people.

That wasn't even the fun part.

SPOILER: Show

It's probably for the best that I wasn't able to use mic, though.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:04 pm

So, are we going to play Borderlands 2?

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”