Evangelion: The Wall

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

Evangelion: The Wall

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:04 am

I wrote this a while ago, during the downtime, and I never managed to get round posting it anywhere properly. So hey, have a read and tell me whether I'm a crazy person or the Megassiah.

Now, it's a relatively well know fact that if you play "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd while watching Wizard of Oz, it all synchs up well and makes sense. Or something. Anyway, I've wondered how well it would work for The Wall with Eva, specifically Death. They both look at similar subjects, i.e. alienation, longing for emotional contact, etc etc. So I thought I'd try it.

A few notes before we begin:
  • I was using "Every Brick In The Wall", the revised-and-extended version of The Wall for the music, since it is far superior to the original. It also includes some of the songs from the movie that were left out from the album, one of which, "When The Tigers Broke Free", is quite important, as we will see.
  • Due to a, ah, oversight on my part, I was forced to skip the tracks between "Hey You" and "Waiting for the Worms" due to a lack of time. I had been planning on skipping "The Trial" anyway, since Shinji never really undergoes anything that could be considered analogous to it, at least not until EoE.
  • There was something else I was going to write here, but I totally can't remember what.

Anyway. Onto my observations!

Firstly, we open with the Katsuragi's expedition to Antarctica with "When The Tigers Broke Free (Part 1)" playing over the top. This is an obvious parallel; the events that happened and their effect on Misato are analogous to how Pink's father dieing at Anzio affected him.

Then, as Second Impact occurs, there's the silence at the end of "Tigers". It continues until Adam starts to spread his wings, and then the explosive guitar of "In The Flesh" kicks in. The rapid shots that follow all seem to be deliberately choreographed to the songs guitar, it's quite disturbing.

We see Asuka running towards her house, shouting to her mother that she's been chosen as a pilot as the lyrics begin;

So ya
Thought ya
Might like to go to the show.
To feel the warm thrill of confusion
That space cadet glow.

We see the hung bodies of Asuka's mother and her doll:

Tell me is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?

Close-up of the young Asuka's face, fading into the 14-year olds during a synch test

If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.

It is incredibly trippy, this coincidence. Those lyrics sum up Asuka's character incredibly well.

The first "rehearsal" segment, of Shinji sitting alone is to the quite lyrics of "The Thin Ice". When the credits begin it's with a few seconds of the guitar instrumental, with the credits jumping almost in time with the guitar.

The fight against Sachiel is quite disconcerting, "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 1" is playing during it, which is quite a chilled out track. It goes on up to the bit with teenage mute-Misato in her cell. Interesting, since both the fight with Sachiel and Misato's experience at Antarctica are both "bricks" in their respective walls.

There is a very curious parallel during "When The Tigers Broke Free (part 2)". In the film of "The Wall", during this scene Pink finds his (dead) fathers old army revolver and uniform and dress himself in it; by contrast during this song Shinji is practising in the Eva simulator.

The next two songs, "Happiest Days of our Lives" and "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)" have very few connections to the events on screen. This is not overly surprising, since they deal with the trauma Pink received during his school days, which never seemed to be an issue with the Eva cast.

"Mother" begins just as Asuka is introduced. OEDIPUS COMPLEX FTW

The line "Mother, should I build the Wall?" occurs as we see Asuka lying in the bathtub of her own blood from #22. Poignant, since by this point Asuka has pretty much retreated totally behind her own Wall, and won't come out until #25'.

The long, extremely good guitar solo in Mother starts almost synchronized with the montage of Asuka's fights. This is very interesting, since the guitar is supposed to represent one of Pinks violent "turns".

Right at the end of Mother is the scene with Rei and Asuka in the elevator; for a few minutes they don't talk, and Asuka sneezes. This is exactly timed with the "high" of "Mother did it need to be so.....high." Funny as hell.

Goodbye, Blue Sky is linked with Rei's section, and again is eerily synchronised with the visuals. Of note is "Did-did-did you see the frightened ones?" as Shinji is staring at Rei during the beginning of their rehearsal.

The next song, Empty Spaces- What Shall We Do Now? does mesh very well. The music synchs well enough, but the lyrics and the meaning of the song has very little bearing on the events happening. This isn't too surprising since Eva disregards the social and lifestyle problems which this song deals with.

The next two songs, "Young Lust" and "One of my turns" are much the same. Of note however, is the lyric "This is just a passing phase; one of my bad days." which occurs at about the same time as Gendo's line "Memories are enough, for now.". Seemed interesting.

Don't Leave Me Now is synched with Naoko talking to (and killing) Rei-I after listening to what Gendizzle's been saying about her.

The Last Few Bricks begins as Ritsuko destroys the Rei-tachi from #23, with Shinji watching, which is another interesting parallel.

Another Brick In The Wall (part 3) begins exactly as Kaoru enters the rehearsal. Ominous!

The long instrumental in ABITW3 is played as Bardiel bitch-slaps Shogouki as Shinji refuses to fight; as the control is switched over to the Dummy system Goodbye Cruel World plays. Significant, since Sho being used to kill Bardiel was a very important event in Shinji's downward spiral.

Goodbye Cruel World cuts off suddenly, representative of the last gap in the Wall being filled, thus cutting off all sound. This occurs exactly as Sho crushes Sangouki's entry plug.

Hey You is next, with the profile of Kaji. This is, in some ways, the most interesting part. It highlights an aspect of Kaji that never really came across to me before. He is, in essence, just as fucked up and desperate as most of the rest of the cast of Eva; he merely hides it better and deal with it better.

There are also some more interesting concurrences with the lyrics:

But it was only fantasy (- Kaji staring at his murderer)
The Wall was too high, as you can see
No matter how he tried, he could not break free
(-Shinji from the beginning of #24, staring out to the see

A very desperate "HEY YOU!" is screamed as Shinji first meets Kaoru. This really highlights how very messed up Shinji was by this point.

It was just as Kaoru hijacks Nigouki that I had to skip to Waiting for the Worms, at the end of Hey You.

The first part, with Shinji/Pink "sitting in a bunker, here behind my walls" is a very obvious connection, but the second half, the "rally" does not really link. Shinji never really reaches that level of delirium until the "Come, Sweet Death" scene in EoE.

Just as Sho has Kaoru in his grip, with him begging to be killed, the famous minute-long scene of Sho holding him in his hand, perfectly still follows. This is accompanied by STOP.

Stop
I wanna go home
Take off this uniform
And leave the show
And I'm waiting here in this cell
Because I have to know
Have I been guilty all this time

I don't think comment is needed here.

Then the credits role, over the sunset at the beach where Shinji and Kaoru met, with Outside the Wall playing;

All alone, or in two's,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.
And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad bugger's wall.

I don't believe there could possibly be a more fitting ending.

EDIT: Out, damn typo-demons! I BANISH THEE!
Last edited by Space Penis on Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:27 pm

Do you know something, everytime I listen to the Wall I have scenes from Evangelion running around in my mind. I've actually been meaning to write down my idea for a stage show that crosses the Wall and Evangelion (Complete with an Eva that hovers over the Wall for Run Like Hell, the Wall being built as the concert goes on and a giant mirror ball for the solo in comfortably numb)

Anyway as for the Sync, I can't believe you actually tried it. Has interesting results though, Stop! seems to fit perfectly, Mother seems to work very well.

I think this highlights the beauty of Roger Waters masterpiece. (Or Ego trip depends on how you look at it) (And I know it was by Pink Floyd its just that Roger decided to dominate it) Where was I? Oh yeah, the it highlights the beauty because you can apply it to more then what Roger just intended, it was meant to be a look into one persons (Pinks) feelings of isolationism due to the persons past, yet it can be applied to so much.

I'm just wondering what would happen if you played The Film of The Wall, side by side with Eva. I can't imagine anything interesting, but the songs are a bit different, also it misses out "Hey You" and "The Show Must Go On"

It's a shame you had to miss out some of the tracks but it seemed to work better as it lined up with Stop and then Outside The Wall. Would have been interesting to see where Comfortably Numb fitted in though.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:56 pm

jcmoorehead wrote:Do you know something, everytime I listen to the Wall I have scenes from Evangelion running around in my mind.

Yeah, me too. I got the idea to do this after watching an AMV for Comfortably Numb.

Stop! seems to fit perfectly

It freaked me the fuck out.

it was meant to be a look into one persons (Pinks) feelings of isolationism due to the persons past, yet it can be applied to so much.

I don't think that's quite true; the nature of The Wall is that it's cyclic and can happen to anyone. As one person is coming out (or being forced out, in Pink's case) from their wall, another builds their own. That's the purpose of the children picking up the bricks at nd during Outside the Wall and the overlapping "Isn't this where we came in?" with In The Flesh.

It's a shame you had to miss out some of the tracks but it seemed to work better as it lined up with Stop and then Outside The Wall. Would have been interesting to see where Comfortably Numb fitted in though.

Yeah. A shame really, since compared to some of the other songs (Like ABITW or What Shall We Do Now) Comfortably Numb would fit a lot better.

One of these days I might try it with the EoE, although Death is suited better to it, being a psychological profile of the characters like The Wall.[/quote]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:24 pm

So did you try doing this with EoE? I think that crappy commentary (not that I really listened to it yet, or ever plan on it) suggests people trying that.
But damn, just READING this blew my mind! :shock:

Thanks for posting this, it was quite interesting! :wink:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:30 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:So did you try doing this with EoE?

Not yet. And my EoE dvd will be...inaccessable for a while.

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:11 am

So, when are you going to make an AMV along these lines?
-...because a lot can happen in 24hrs.
-"Consistancy people, consistancy!!!"-George Carlin

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:36 pm

Never, probably. I don't have the tools or the expertise to do something of that scope.

Plus, someone else has already tried to make an Eva AMV to the entire Wall. It's still on AMV.org, I think.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:54 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:So did you try doing this with EoE? I think that crappy commentary (not that I really listened to it yet, or ever plan on it) suggests people trying that.
But damn, just READING this blew my mind! :shock:

Thanks for posting this, it was quite interesting! :wink:

Unless you hear the commentary you have nothing to bitch about.

expect the translations and English VA's

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

^_^ \/,,

•      
  •      

Postby chiefen » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:25 am

Space Penis wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:So did you try doing this with EoE?

Not yet. And my EoE dvd will be...inaccessable for a while.

Then what did you do it with? I mean, the series is twelve hours long or so, in total. The Wall is not. :P
NGE, N. G. E., N. G. Evangelion, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

NOT Eva or EVA. Please. >_<

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”