Anime Recommendations Thread (READ RULES BEFORE POSTING)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:08 am

slothen wrote:I'll say it: Naruto is a BAD ANIME. But its hella entertaining.

And there are too many Naruto AMVs using that song.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:46 am

If i ever watch naruto AMVs, I do it with the sound off. Sometimes they cut together some pretty cool battles.

Also I started watching Simoun, and its quite.. different.. from what I'm used to.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:12 pm

slothen wrote:Also I started watching Simoun, and its quite.. different.. from what I'm used to.

That's good to hear (that the recommendation has been taken up). It's the probably the most thoughtful of this year's anime titles (certainly so amongst those I've tried), as well as being visually beautiful.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:45 pm

Since the hardsubs stopped at episode 16, and no one feels like seeding elfen lied, im considering downloading the unsubbed versions of 17-26 with the seperate sub files. I hope the translation quality or the sub timing doesn't take a big hit.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:53 pm

I've been following a scanlation of the Black Lagoon manga and loving that, but it comes out at a painfully slow rate. I heard that the anime had been licensed, but I can't find it anywhere and the only fansub that seems to exist is in French.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:50 am

What? I watched whole Black Lagoon first season and now episode one of the "Second Barrage". I think SHS does them.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:37 am

slothen wrote:Since the hardsubs stopped at episode 16, and no one feels like seeding elfen lied, im considering downloading the unsubbed versions of 17-26 with the seperate sub files. I hope the translation quality or the sub timing doesn't take a big hit.

Wowo (of wo-subs) is the main translator for Simoun-fans, so those would be like the rough drafts. I think that his translations are the basis of the Simoun Project subs as well.

AchtungAffen wrote:What? I watched whole Black Lagoon first season and now episode one of the "Second Barrage". I think SHS does them.

Shinsen aren't doing the manga, though. I would recommend BL if the rules of this thread allowed me another go at the moment.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:46 am

Before I do any of that though, I'm going to go through GitS: SAC again.

I'm not sure why but I always liked the first gig better. Anyway I love ghost in the shell because in addition to the great action and interesting characters (even though the characters themselves aren't the focus of the show). It is quite mentally challenging. I always liked the sci fi politics aspect, and the rapid pace at which events move really makes it a somewhat more active viewing experience.

Edit: The english dubs are superb.

EDIT: MORE OF YOU DOWNLOAD SIMOUN! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Edit nov. 7: Elfen lied was good. Simoun was excellent. Can't really compare the two though.

what should i watch now?

MAL Profile

Soljer13
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:50 am

GRENADIER

Boobs that reload guns. Need I say more?
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:33 am

Rozen Maiden is quite a fun anime, once you get over the quirkiness. The music is really good too. Also desu desu desu

But I tell you what. A reeally bad way to start watching it is to watch the fourth episode in french.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:07 pm

Hmm...

I heartily recommend Eureka 7.

From the ANN overview...

Age rating: Teenagers (May contain bloody violence, bad language, nudity)
Genres: Adventure, Drama, Mecha, Romance, Science Fiction, Shounen
Plot Summary: Renton Thurston is a 14-year-old boy who lived with his mechanic grandfather in a backwater town. Every day he dreamed of being with the mercenary "Light Finding Operation (LFO)" aircraft pilot group "Gekkostate" and riding "Trapar" particle waves-- a sport called "reffing"-- with their charismatic leader Holland, especially when faced with his father's acclaimed past or his grandfather's desire to protect him. When a young girl named Eureka riding the original LFO, the "Nirvash typeZERO", asks his grandfather for a tune-up, she inadvertently brings the attention of the military to the garage; as a result, the garage is destroyed and Renton is forced to deliver a new type of interface-- the "Amita Drive"-- to the Nirvash. After a heated fight in which the Nirvash destroys the military LFOs by unleashing an immense amount of power, Renton is invited into Gekkostate. However, he quickly realizes that behind the facade of a traveling group of mercenaries is a very bitter reality.

It's currently running on Adult Swim, and it's a very, very, VERY good series. Not only does it contain a lot of the underlying themes of Eva, it's got slick animation, a great score, some of the fastest mech fights out there, great character development, and well, it just all around kicks ass. The introduction kind of sucks; it gets a lot better after the first 11 episodes, and legendary in the last half of the series. Magical series, Eva like in it's own respects without being a ripoff, and easily BONES' best work.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Dascoo
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dascoo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:57 pm

I saw someone mention The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, so I guess I should do a tiny review.

Anyways I highly reccomend it, plus it's a change from what I'm usually used to watching. The story is based off the light novels of the same name, which I heard aren't as good as the anime adaptation. It's funny, and random, with a little bit of every genre.

The story revolves around 2 highschool freshman, a boy named Kyon who is the narrator, and good looking girl named Haruhi Suzumiya who during a class introduction says that she isn't interested in normal humans, instead she's only interested inaliens, time travellers, and espers. Haruhi soon creates the SOS Brigade, a club meant to make the world more interesting and search for the unknown. Kyon is dragged into this club and learns that Haruhi Suzumiya isn't was she seems....Yeah

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:25 pm

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was pretty entertaining. I don't think it's as groundbreaking or innovative as some people make it out to be (I thought Ergo Proxy was more innovative), but it was fun to watch, the animation quality was amazing, esp during the fights and band. Looking forward to the next season.

I actually started to watch Simoun, haven't gotten very far but it's a refreshing change from the depressing-everyone's-fucked-up-bad-end stuff that I've recently finished.

I started watching Eureka 7 when it aired on Adult Swim. I don't have cable so I only got to catch it at bars that will let me control the remote or at my GF's house. So I ended up seeing a lot of them out of order and probably missed a few episodes. I eventually gave up because I couldn't stand Eureka's and Renton's VAs, so I downloaded all 50 episodes and watched it in Japanese. I thought that it was too long and found myself getting bored through some of them. I kinda got the same feeling from FMA, too long and some of the side stories could have been completely skipped or significantly shortened without losing anything.

I got the Wolf Rain DVDs as they were being released. I thought it was a pretty good show. My only complaint is Kiba kind of going on and on about paradise. Oh, and the 4 recap episodes in the DVD release (in Japan, the 4 final episodes were released as an OVA but on AS, they didn't air the recaps). I thought it was a really cool way to end it.

I'm surprised nobody here has recommended Death Note. I look forward to each new episode more than any of the other series I'm watching from this season. I read the manga on mangarun a little while ago and the show is turning out to be just as good. Animation quality is really good, pacing is also really good. If you've not read the manga yet, should hold off until you've seen the corresponding episode (so far it's been following pretty closely, with the exception of the flashbacks in the manga). I've never thought eating a potato chip could be so interesting.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:48 pm

Ornette wrote:I actually started to watch Simoun, haven't gotten very far but it's a refreshing change from the depressing-everyone's-fucked-up-bad-end stuff that I've recently finished.

I've watched the first five episodes. It's not bad, but it suffers from being yet another show in which half the protagonists are dithering spineless wimps who shouldn't be allowed to fly inside combat zones in the first place.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:57 pm

BobBQ wrote:half the protagonists are dithering spineless wimps who shouldn't be allowed to fly inside combat zones in the first place.

Hint - most of them are there as priestesses, doing ceremonial aerobatics, until the draft came in. That's really the point of it.

BTW Simoun-Fans just released ep#20, for those like myself who are wating for the polished translations.

Dascoo
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dascoo » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:23 pm

Ornette wrote:
I'm surprised nobody here has recommended Death Note. I look forward to each new episode more than any of the other series I'm watching from this season. I read the manga on mangarun a little while ago and the show is turning out to be just as good. Animation quality is really good, pacing is also really good. If you've not read the manga yet, should hold off until you've seen the corresponding episode (so far it's been following pretty closely, with the exception of the flashbacks in the manga). I've never thought eating a potato chip could be so interesting.

Alright, Death notes a little odd with me. I find Death note like GITS:SAC with some episodes absolutely amazing, but most of the episodes are kinda meh, where they're just plain boring. I stoppped at episode 6, I'll probably watch an episode tomorrow, but I wanna watch more Gunslinger Girl.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:09 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:BTW Simoun-Fans just released ep#20, for those like myself who are wating for the polished translations.

coooool.

MAL Profile

zephyr72
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby zephyr72 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:25 pm

There are like 3 i want to recommend, but i will say Haibane Renmei because it is so emotional and it is easy to get attached to the characters. although, its not for you if you have to have lots of action.

P.S. I second everyone who recommends Elfen Lied, Suzumiya, and Death Note.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:01 pm

BobBQ wrote:
slothen wrote:I'll say it: Naruto is a BAD ANIME. But its hella entertaining.

And there are too many Naruto AMVs using that song.

What song?

Yeah, Naruto gets kind of a mixed review. Part awesome, part most-boring-shit-since-Dragonball, part 50% recycled flashbacks, and part 5 season long fillers. But still sort of great. But just sort of.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:23 pm

Kaysow wrote:What song?

Ninja Rap by Vanilla Ice. Have you ever seen a turtle get dooown?

Return to “Anime and Manga”