Death Credits

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
aranami
Adam

Death Credits

•      
  •      

Postby aranami » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:08 pm

The picture you see durring the credits is of one of the lakes with the sun over the mountains and one of the mass prod. Evas.

It appears that the sun is setting. Is this a picture of the morning after EoE?

What are your thoughts about what this picture represents??

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:22 pm

Hmmm.... I've never really paid that much attention to it.

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

best ending credits ever...

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:52 pm

It's a very beautiful scene. Technically, it's just the credits sequence but it's the best damn credit sequence I've ever seen.

As far as symbolism I'm not certain there is any, it just seems like a very nice frame for the movie. I think it takes place the very evening of Kaouru's death.

Although I've always been interested in that Statue.
The one sticking out of the water. Is that Kaoru's angelic body or something?

I mean, we go straight from his beheading to the statue he was sitting on, and you can clearly see it's bleeding from the neck.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:02 am

He wasn't really beheaded... more like squeezed so hard his head popped off... wait.. what? Bleeding from the neck? HOW COULD I NOT NOTICE THIS! *Goes to watch all of Eva again cuz you know I can't bear to just plug the last dvd in*
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Jason
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jason » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:05 am

Anyone got a screen cap or am I going to have to go and find my DVDs?
Feel the word and melt upon it.

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:23 am

It most be one of this:

The statue in Japanese is called "tenshizou" i don't remember what it means, but if you search for it in google you'll get nice pictures and some merchandize.
http://www.avians.net/rkc/14daughters/tenshizou/eva-in-3d-new-ed_076.jpg
*insert cool signature here*

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:27 am

:shock:

You know what, I never think i made that connection between Kawrou's beheading and why the statue was bleeding. I need to watch Eva again. Unfortunately my friend who I borrowed it from is leaving for college soon. Hmmmm, with all the director cuts, renewal and platinum editions coming out maybe I should........

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:10 pm

Also note that the staute is bowing to the sun.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:26 pm

I thought that was supposed to be one of the Mass Produced Evas. In the final scene of EoE it's the same landscape.
If that was Kaworu's angelic form it would be Adam, which also seems quite likely.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:09 pm

The scene is an afternoon scene of the flooded tokyo 3. The scene is the reverse shot of the beginning of End of Eva. It appears to be a statue or log formation, however it is very odly placed, but it isn't an MP Eva. If you watch the DC of episode 24, Kaworu speaks to Seele on top of that statue.

To me, the importance of this is more symbolic than anything. There's a very interesting discussion of this statue over at the Anime Nation Forums. I can't find it... but take a look for it, its really interesting.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:32 pm

I just noticed the bent telephone pole, that setting appears a lot. Aside from the already mentioned, that is also where Sachiel was swimming in the first episode. So that same area is where Sachiel appeared, where Kaworu talked to SEELE, where Kaworu and Shinji first met, where Shinji was at the beginning of the EoE (the first scene of rebirth), where Shinji was during the final scene of the EoE, and is in the end credits of death.
I think the when the area is blue, when the sun is up and still bright, (the beginning of the first episode, the first scene of rebirth) it represents rebirth, or the beginning, it could over all represent life, or the black moon, or something... when the area is red, during a sunset it represents the end (the credits of death, the final scene of the EoE).

Or something like that...
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:38 pm

Phaze wrote:I just noticed the bent telephone pole, that setting appears a lot. Aside from the already mentioned, that is also where Sachiel was swimming in the first episode.

I thought this was one of the craters created from an explosion and was filled to make a lake?

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:01 pm

I just noticed that it seems to have breasts, indicating that it is feminine. I don't know the relevance of that, but it never struck me before.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

child-of-lillith
Embryo

Re: Death Credits

•      
  •      

Postby child-of-lillith » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:29 pm

aranami wrote:The picture you see durring the credits is of one of the lakes with the sun over the mountains and one of the mass prod. Evas.

It appears that the sun is setting. Is this a picture of the morning after EoE?

What are your thoughts about what this picture represents??

yeah you see it from one side... whilst the sun is setting... and then for the start of EoE you get it from the otherside of the lake... whilst the sun rises
Behold the crucifix; what does it symbolize? Pallid incompetence hanging on a tree

EvaPimp
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaPimp » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:55 pm

I might be dumb, but I always thought the statue was Eva 00's true form.
Thats the form it took after it exploded...thats what I thought...

Xanatose
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xanatose » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:24 am

Back when I first saw the introduction scene for Kaoru in the anime, I'd yet to begin studying analytic psycology in earnest. However, a few years later when I saw that screen shot from Death, I was reminded of something I'd read in an essay by Carl Jung.

The following is lifted from "Individual Dream Symbolism in Relation to Alchemy: A study of the Unconcious Processes at Work in Dreams" by Carl Jung. There is much to that essay, and I would encourage others to look it up if they should find the following passage interesting. A dreamer has described a series of dreams they have had, and in turn Dr. Jung analizes each to note how "they form a coherenet sereies in the course of which the meaning gradually unfolds more or less of its own accord."

3. Hypnagogic Visual Impression:

By the sea shore. The sea breaks into the land, flooding everything. Then the dreamer is sitting on a lonely island.

The Sea is the symbol of the collective unconcious, because unfathomed depths lie concealed beneath its reflecting surface.(7) Those who stand behind, the shadowy personaifications of the unconcious, have burst into the terra firma of conciousness like a flood. Such invasions have something uncanny about them because they are irrational and incomprehensible to the person concerned. They bring about a momentous alteration of his personality since they immediately consitute a painful personal secret which alienates and isolates him from his surroundings. It is something that we "cannot tell anybody." We are afraid of being accused of mental abnormality--not without reason, for much the same thing happens to lunatics. Even so, it is a far cry from the intuitive perception of such an invasion to being inundated by it pathologically, though the layman does not realize this. Isolation by a secret results as a rule in an animation of the psycheic atmosphere, as a substitute for loss of contact with other people. It causes an activation of the unconscious, and this produces something similar to the illusions and hallucinations that beset lonely wanderers in the desert, seafarers, and saints. The mechanism of these phenomena can best be explained in terms of energy. Our normal relations to objects in the world at large are maintained by a certain expenditure of energy. If the relation to the object is cut off there is a "retention" of energy, which then creates an equivalent substitute. For instance, just as a persecution mania comes from a relationship poisoned by misturst, so, as a substitute for the normal animation of the environment, an illusory reality rises up in which weird ghostly shadows flit about in place of people. That is why primitive man has always believed that lonely and desolate places are haunted by "devils" and suchlike apparitions.

(7) The sea is a favourite place for the birth of visions (i.e., invasions by unconcious contents). Thus the great vision of the eagle in II Esdras II:I rises out of the sea, and the vision of "Man" -[illegible--Xan]-in 13:3, 25, and 51 comes up "from the midst of the sea." Cf. Also 13:52: "Like as thou canst neither seek out nor know the things that are in the deep of the sea: even so can no man upon earth see my Son..."

Compare the above to the scene in which Shinji meets Kaoru, and how he acts before and after seeing him. And further consider the symbolism of the sea, and the reflection on the surface that always prevents us from seeing its depths.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:54 pm

I had been looking to see if Evangelion contained any sort of collective unconscious, I had thought it was perhaps the black moon or the sea of LCL, apparently I was wrong.

KaworuNagisa17
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KaworuNagisa17 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:09 pm

I love Death's ending. Canon D is easily one of the best damn pieces of classical I'll have ever listened to and this sequence is homage to that.

some say that D&R are so not worth it. Death's ending makes it worth it, in my eyes.
Is Gendo Ikari gonna have to choke a bitch??

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”