[LAEM] Faithful to the Story?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Love Not Given Lightly
Embryo

[LAEM] Faithful to the Story?

Postby Love Not Given Lightly » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:30 pm

For a lot of the topics regarding LAEM I've noticed that most people don't like the idea of certain directors altering the story or characters at all. I don't see what's wrong with this exactly. As long as they make it clear that LAEM is an alternate version of the original EVA series and not a direct adaptation, and it doesn't suck, I don't see a problem with changing a lot of things.

In fact, I would probably prefer a lot of story and character changes to a direct adaptation. Because if I see LAEM and all it is will be a line-for-line shot-for-shot remake of the show, I'll be kind of disappointed. But if they can keep the spirit of the show and tell their own story in the same universe, I think it would be great. Thoughts?
There are no stupid ideas, only stupid executions.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:46 pm

Personally, when i hear of an adaptation of something i love, i prefer that they adapt the story as close as possible to the original material rather than the director adding their own vision. Then again i am someone who would prefer a line-for-line shot remake of the show if it weren't impractical/absurd.

Basically, yeah i think it would be great if they told their own story (so to say) while keeping the spirit of the series, i'd just rather they didn't need to.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:07 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:Then again i am someone who would prefer a line-for-line shot remake of the show if it weren't impractical/absurd.

Why? It would be pointless. If you want the show, watch the show.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:14 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:Why? It would be pointless. If you want the show, watch the show.

But it would be the show in live action

Seriously speaking, i know how stupid it sounds, and i admit now i am finding it a bit stupid too. I guess it's just a silly preference on my part, thinking that adaptations should be as if the the original author directed it. Just to be clear tough, i don't oppose/dislike the idea of a director giving his own vision.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Love Not Given Lightly
Embryo

Postby Love Not Given Lightly » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:18 pm

The first time I ever heard of Evangelion was on some "Top 10 Animezz" list on Youtube and it had Evangelion on it, with that one picture of Shinji, Kaworu, Rei, and Asuka, just chilling in some dystopian junkyard, looking happy. You can't even tell it's a mecha anime from that image. Clearly this gave me a totally inaccurate idea of what the show really had to offer when I watched it. There's not a single scene where all of those four characters are even near each other altogether.

Now of course that's fine, because I love the show to the point of near-obsession the way it is, but I'd love to see a director's vision of the Evangelion universe that fits one of those posters more than the show. Just to spice things up, and how crazy would it be to see all of those characters together! Can you imagine the dialogue between Kaworu and Asuka?
There are no stupid ideas, only stupid executions.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:56 pm

Geez. I stopped caring about this shit like five years ago.

When the bankrupt company that barely exists is suing the original creator and rights holder over it, it's fairly safe to assume that it's dead where it stands.

robin007bond
Embryo

Postby robin007bond » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:48 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Geez. I stopped caring about this shit like five years ago.

When the bankrupt company that barely exists is suing the original creator and rights holder over it, it's fairly safe to assume that it's dead where it stands.

But if ADV is nearly bankrupt, chances are that the rights to Evangelion can be bought up by another studio.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”