Evangelion Video Game Series Releases?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
orangechicken29
Embryo

Evangelion Video Game Series Releases?

•      
  •      

Postby orangechicken29 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:11 pm

I have a question about the Evangelion video games. Have they only been released in Japan? If so, is there any news on whether they will reach America?
Thanks!

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon May 28, 2012 2:52 am

Have they only been released in Japan?

As far as I know, in all cases the answer is yes.

If so, is there any news on whether they will reach America?

Most likely never.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon May 28, 2012 1:36 pm

No Evangelion game has ever received an official English release. It is extremely unlikely that any Evangelion will ever get an English release.

I believe I read somewhere that in order for something like an Evangelion game to get an English release, there would need to be somewhere between 200,000-350,000 expected sales. Being as Evangelion games are of next to no interest to non-Evangelion fans, you would be hard-pressed to find enough Eva fans who are gamers, who would want to buy and play an Evangelion video game. And from what I understand, most of them are mediocre anyway.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon May 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Some of them, so I am led to believe, barely qualify as 'games' in the western sense are more akin to visual novels.

Have none of the Super Robot Wars games been given western releases?

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Mon May 28, 2012 8:23 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Have none of the Super Robot Wars games been given western releases?

No they are a licensing nightmare they only SRW games that got a western release are the O.G. ones (the ones that focus on the characters they created)
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon May 28, 2012 9:14 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Some of them, so I am led to believe, barely qualify as 'games' in the western sense are more akin to visual novels.

This is correct. Some are actually visual novels, and some are games that might as well be visual novels.

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:No they are a licensing nightmare they only SRW games that got a western release are the O.G. ones (the ones that focus on the characters they created)

This. The super robot wars games have license potential, as they appeal to RPG fans and general anime fans, however the licensing often doesn't permit them to sub-license or localize the games to other regions.

Sadly, the only way you're going to play an Evangelion game is to do what I did, import them.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Thu May 31, 2012 7:22 pm

Eva doesn't seem like it would really lend itself too video game. I get that there's been a bunch of Eva games but they all look kind of...bad. There's definitely potential, but it seems like the stuff they make is just otaku pandering, but then again I never played any of them so I don't know.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu May 31, 2012 7:44 pm

View Original PostSenorSquiid wrote:it seems like the stuff they make is just otaku pandering

You are very very close to the mark.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu May 31, 2012 8:34 pm

Not all Eva games are bad. Eva 2 certainly needs more love. :( I'd love an updated version (or at least New Movie Edition version) one day.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”