[TV] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:54 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Love & tolerate?

Hate! Hate! Hate!

Mt Olympus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mt Olympus » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:09 pm

Here's a funny ass video about Bronies, figured y'all might enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p6LVZFLSfw

Henry Spencer
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:33 pm

HOLY SHIT GUYS! Kim Jong-il is a Brony!

Boy, he sure put on the pounds.
In Heaven everything is fine.
2% of people on internet forums are impressionable n

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:11 pm

Kim-Jung Il is dead.

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Oh boy here we go! I'm not entirely sure if this is a troll article or a serious one

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2012/04/25/my-little-pony

:rei_hissyfit: :rei_hissyfit:

The bloke's Twitter account seems to swing back and forth between positive and negative comments about Bronies, mostly negative. War vet, lawyer, commentator, and . . . internet troll? Only in America folks, only in America.

It is pretty funny though. The comments section is filled with with Brietbart.com regulars, conservatives, and active duty military personnel talking about how the article is horrible and ponies are awesome. Somepony even made a new Facebook group for conservative Bronies and right-wing Pegasisters thanks to the article being so gosh darn out there (I'd join, but Facebook wakes me want to take a shower every time I look at it). The comments section also included a link to Red Eye pony video that I hadn't seen before . . . the 2:00 AM time slot does strange things to people's minds.

Also, for the record, the changelings were all repulsive (haven't felt that about a foe in a while, so kudos for that), I really liked Shining Armor and Cadance even if I do wish they had been foreshadowed earlier in the season, and "This Day Aria" OR "Deceptive Cadence Aria" has really gotten stuck my head. Now, what kind of crossover potential does this have? . . . Besides the obvious, I mean.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:58 pm

I've accepted myself as a Brony. it didn't take long. Go back a few pages & you'll see me all "WTF is this shit". Now I'm a fan. Oh well.

Anywho I discovered Princess Molestia today. It's amazing.

http://askprincessmolestia.tumblr.com/

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:18 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I've accepted myself as a Brony. it didn't take long. Go back a few pages & you'll see me all "WTF is this shit". Now I'm a fan. Oh well.

Well, that's how it usually goes. Hell, that was my progression.

"What in the hell is thi - "

*10 episodes later*

"I CAN'T STOP WATCHING!"

Anywho I discovered Princess Molestia today. It's amazing.

http://askprincessmolestia.tumblr.com/

Haha, yes. The original story was that Celestia got copied by a succubus.... which, in light of the season 2 finale, is very nearly canon. O_o
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:54 pm

So, last week I finally saw a couple episodes of this, and... seriously? Really guys?? This is the internet phenomenon of the decade? It's a fucking cutesy little cartoon for fucking little girls. That's not even an insult, it's perfectly competent at being that, but uh, what else is there I'm not seeing? Where's the "worldwide cult phenomenon" aspect to it? I am not seeing the appeal to anyone over the age of 8.

tl;dr I'm still not entirely convinced that the widespread supposed adoration for this show isn't ironic. I'm not convinced that even the people who are a part of the phenomenon know whether it's ironic.

And so this is it. The postmodern apocalypse. An entire generation of growing or grown men and women is worshipping a little kids' show and we're all so deeply indoctrinated in the cult of irony that nobody knows what's even ironic anymore.

Western culture is over. Now we are all bronies.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:14 pm

What episodes did you watch?
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Henry Spencer
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:54 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:So, last week I finally saw a couple episodes of this, and... seriously? Really guys?? This is the internet phenomenon of the decade? It's a fucking cutesy little cartoon for fucking little girls. That's not even an insult, it's perfectly competent at being that, but uh, what else is there I'm not seeing? Where's the "worldwide cult phenomenon" aspect to it? I am not seeing the appeal to anyone over the age of 8.

THANK YOU!

And for those of you who are about to launch bricks at me: Yes, I have seen an episode. No, I did not magically fall in love with it. No, I am not hating on you because you like shows meant for an audience of little girls and (possibly) their parents. Can we be cool here?
In Heaven everything is fine.
2% of people on internet forums are impressionable n

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:39 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:What episodes did you watch?
What does it matter. He went into prepared not to like it in the first place, so whichever episode he watched is irrelevant.
Last edited by child of Lilith on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:51 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:So, last week I finally saw a couple episodes of this, and... seriously? Really guys?? This is the internet phenomenon of the decade? It's a fucking cutesy little cartoon for fucking little girls. That's not even an insult, it's perfectly competent at being that, but uh, what else is there I'm not seeing? Where's the "worldwide cult phenomenon" aspect to it? I am not seeing the appeal to anyone over the age of 8.

It's a high-quality show with identifiable, upbeat characters that aren't perfect or completely typecast and it offers a weekly serving of guilt-free whimsy. In these depressing, cynical times a bit of honest whimsy can be quite endearing... even enough to warm the atrophied, blackened hearts of 4chan regulars.

There are certainly aspects of the fandom that are purely trying to be ironc, just as there are also the emotionally stunted, the perverse, those who fully embrace it as a lifestyle in glee-like fashion, some who are just sheepish followers trying to belong to something, and then there are those who simply enjoy it for what it is and move on without really engaging with the fandom at all.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:23 pm

Hey, Commander Shepard likes ponies, and since you'll never be better than Commander Shepard it stands to reason that this genderfliped song is surprisingly good. (And that's three links in a single sentence.)
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:16 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:What does it matter. He went into prepared not to like it in the first place, so whichever episode he watched is irrelevant.

To be fair, I wasn't entirely enthralled by the two-part pilot; Nightmare Moon's challenges to the Mane 6 seemed particularly formulaic. Pinkie Pie's antics were what saved it for me; "It was under Eeeeee!" still cracks me up. And I didn't start truly warming to the series until episode 4, when Applejack reasonably approximated the effects of a college student's sleep schedule, and I didn't become a "fan" until episode 8, because Twilight was absolutely adorkable.

"...There's a giant tree branch in the middle of my bedroom, and the book doesn't say anything about having a giant tree branch at your slumber party. Or at least I haven't found that entry yet. Ur... ah! The book does have a section about backyard slumber parties. Is that what we're doing right now? Does this count as camping?"

:lol:

EDIT: And really, the biggest takeaway from this fandom is the ridiculous levels of creativity that's sprung up because of it. For example, I've taken a liking to dubstep recently thanks to TheLivingTombstone, WoodenToaster, and Omnipony.

Two recently-discovered favorites:

Rainbow NukeStep http://youtu.be/hABOm19S2Ks (Poni, MW2, and dubstep? YES.)

Dubstep Dishwasher http://youtu.be/0AHHOTDzWuM ("There's just one problem. She cleans the dishes with.... Wubs.")
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:38 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:What does it matter. He went into prepared not to like it in the first place, so whichever episode he watched is irrelevant.

Um... no? I was honestly curious to see what all the fuss was about. I was skeptical, sure, but I was open to the possibility of seeing just what people are going gaga over. I didn't see it.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

My little HATRED! BO

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue May 01, 2012 12:53 am

^ Did you see The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000?

I'd also suggest watching this, though God knows why it exists. No, it's not Cupcake.

View Original PostCody MacArthur Fett wrote:Hey, Commander Shepard likes ponies,

Doesn't that only mean something if it's coming from FemShep?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 01, 2012 1:52 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:even enough to warm the atrophied, blackened hearts of 4chan regulars.
I can only find it dubbed, though -- does no-one have the subs?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

My Little, wha...?

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue May 01, 2012 2:00 am

^ Professor, it's an American-produced show, what are you talking about? Or hey, find Canadian-talk that hard to follow, eh?

... and I still don't get why you won't watch Tamers. Characters representing virtues? Digimon did that in the 1st season.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue May 01, 2012 2:23 am

I think that was supposed to be a joke about 4chan.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed May 02, 2012 8:41 pm

So, I've been aware of this show for a while, and, I've always tried to stay away from it. Not because I think I'm too manly to ever want to sit in front of a little girls' show and watch brightly colored ponies to cutsie-whootsie thing,. but it's actually because I'd rather enjoy sitting in front of a little girls' show and watch brightly colored ponies to cutsie-whootsie things. See, I already have a predisposition to anything adorable. I'll openly admit to squealing at characters/actors like:

Georgie Henley, who I first saw in the Disney/FOX Chronicles of Narnia movies,

Isabella Garcia-Shapiro from Dinsey's Phineas and Ferb,

Camille Walaby,

and Hello Kitty pictures.
(Oh, Yuko Miyamura. Stop finding ways of getting inside my head!)

So I firmly believed that if I saw something like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic that my body would simply give up on producing testosterone all together and start pumping me full of estrogen, and that I would be happy with that anyway.

Now, I'm not disrespecting guys who are into this show. I know plenty of manly men, man's man type of guys, who love this show as well. They kill and eat their own food, write stories or watch other shows about mafia crime lords and drug dealers, or shoot at anything that moves in the woods, and they have no problem telling me that they're into this show. I'm just saying that I'm pretty sure I would not be among these manly... "Bronies." (I think that's the term for them.) My interest in other unmanly things may have reached its limit and I can't really get into anymore without polarizing myself into something else entirely, with irreversible and undesirable consequences.

But, wouldn't you know it, an episode popped up on my TV during a break from storyboarding a project. That's when I found out Tara Strong does a voice in the show. She also did the voice of Raven, my favorite character from the Teen Titan animated series.

Image = Image

You know, my reasons for NOT watching this show keep looking less and less important to me the more I get exposed to this thing... :uhh:

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed May 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Reasons are. . . not important. Give in to the ponies, and be set free.

Also, I agree Twilight is best pony. Image
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Return to “Film and Video”