Borat: Cultural Learnings of America...

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America...

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:55 am

...for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

a.k.a. the movie that's just come out and managed to totally kick arse on its opening weekend. It has a 96% at Rotten Tomatoes, amazingly enough -- don't see that everyday.

Is anyone planning to go see this? After having clips of Borat from his TV show of origin (Da Ali G Show) forced into my eyes and ears by my dad, I'm rather interested. Even my mom wants to see "Borat". We wouldn't be able to go as a family until the weekend after next, sadly, but we haven't done that in so long I wouldn't mind the wait.

My extremely vestigial playlist of (pre-movie) clips -- follow the links for more:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9043BE6E07B6B8A6
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:19 pm

I'm thinking about going to see it at some point this week.

I'm amused by the occasional negative review that's by some uptight pedant that laments the death of society and the fact that people still find racism and sexism funny. People obviously don't understand the purpose of satire.

Trailer can be found at: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/borat/

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:14 pm

I'm going to see it only because Neil Cavuto at Fox News said "It was an attack against traditional values". Sounds right up my alley.

Did anyone catch Borat on the Daily Show a couple of nights ago? Apparently he dosen't care for Jewish people :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1PPzSzqS5o
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:35 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I'm amused by the occasional negative review that's by some uptight pedant that laments the death of society and the fact that people still find racism and sexism funny. People obviously don't understand the purpose of satire.

I find racism and sexism that makes fun of actual racists and sexists funny. ;)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:28 pm

I am not too big on stupidity for stupidities sake so I will most likely pass on this one.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:57 pm

I got to see a preview screening awhile ago, and I LOVED it!
I first found out about Borat on HBO, via the Da Ali G Show. :D ("Does you fink the moon does not exist?" "Is it cause I is black?" (If you watch the interview with Da Ali asking if terriorsts could drive a train into the White House, you can see him doing his best to hold back laughter!)
I'd say Borat and Da Ali are my favs, Bruno is funny, but not as funny as the other two. *shrug* By the way, Sacha Baron made an apperance on an episode of Curb Your Enithusam as one of Larry's guardian angels!

The show/movie is funny as hell, but of course, not for those who get offended easily. (Two words: Naked Wrestling. :lol:) Though at least James Lipton was cool about being on the show; he even rapped at the end. ^_^

What I think is great is how Sacha Baron Cohen is Jewish himself and by getting real reactions from ignorant people, it makes things all the more funny and shocking. ("In my country there is problem..." :twisted:)

(Although I think the part of him staying with the Jewish couple was staged as well as Pamela running out to the parking lot as the guards tackled him.)
I also think it's funny how Borat uses some Polish in his speaking, but maybe that's because I'm Polish so it assumes me. ^^;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:31 pm

I don't watch TV (unless there's something specific I want to catch), and we don't get HBO, so I wouldn't have learned about Borat if not for word of E-mouth. (My dad passing along the trailer and various clips from the show.) Borat is strangely endearing, if not a naive, sexist, anti-Semitic, overamorous simpleton. ;) The humor doesn't offend me since I 'get the joke' (and my sense of humor is twisted to begin with).

And, yeah, some of the reactions he gets are vely intellesting... If you met this guy in RL and didn't know he was an act, how would you react to him? I know one thing: I would be giving him some very strange looks.

I haven't checked out Ali G and Boris yet.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:13 pm

Sexy time! Wa-wa-wa-whee-wa! :mrgreen: I like you, do you like me? I no like homosexual, but in my country they no longer need wear blue hat. *Cut Boart wearing said blue hat* ^_^; If my film not success, I be execute!

By the way, you MUST see him on Conan O Brain, you can probably find a clip of it on Youtube (he was on again the other night. Several months(?) back, he was on, but this time he sang! :D And tried to do something um interesting to Conan. :-p)

You saw my comments on Youtube? :oops: *makes hole to bury self in* Then again, people are shmucks, especially online, though trying to correct their, um, incorrectness, doesn't do much, sadly. :roll:

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:56 pm

My buddy who works at CMU dressed up as Borat for Halloween. And his impression of Borat is spot on.
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~haff/borat/haloween/

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:47 pm

Very cool. :lol: His impression is on.

In terms of Ali G, I thought up of a great one, I was sitting in the car with "pops", listening to some politcal thing he likes when they said the name General Miller. On the fly, I did the hand-snapping thing and said, "Check it! We's here wiv none other than my main man, General Mills!" Needless to say, my dad cracked up. :lol:

Return to “Film and Video”