Pretty Hypocritical

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Pretty Hypocritical

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:16 pm

I don't think it's very cool that when someone on this forum posts a vitriolic attack against another human being the mods determine that it is not their place to censor him, but when another person posts a sarcastic comment expressing disapproval over a fanboy bitch-fight about what the TRUE and PROPER name of a blockbuster movie franchise is they get deleted without a moment's hesitation or even the pretense of justification. Way to have your priorities straight, guys! At least be consistent!
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:24 pm

>consistency
>EGF mod policy

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/810/r14p.jpg/]Image[/URL]

I'd like to know what you mean with first one though. Haven't seen any serious slamdowns lately

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:42 pm

Who vitriolically attacked whom and what now? I guess you could elaborate about what the intent of your comment actually was, gatotsu, because I honestly couldn't tell. It read like flame fodder and that's why it got deleted.

Insert tired joke about sarcasm and Internet here.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:51 pm

My two cents: Mod policy isn't as inconsistent as you may think. I get that the forums aren't prefect, we all know that, but the context of posts are everything. In particular, sarcasm--especially when it causes thread derailment--really helps nobody.

Edit: Slight typo.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:34 pm

The forum administration is not a rigid organization that is able to catch everything immediately; hell, no police force in the world could boast that kind of efficiency, and that is their job. This is simply a hobby for us, and we do our best to keep things peaceful around here. For the most part, we do a great job at it, but it's not due to strict policing. It's due more to the trust we have that you, the members of the forum, won't start shit around every corner that would require our attention. When it does happen, you can bet that we'll be involved as soon as we catch it, but for the most part things are alright.

If your first example is what I think it is, then you're mistaken about the moderator's level of involvement in the situation. More goes on behind the scenes than what you might think, especially with delicate situations.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:16 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I'd like to know what you mean with first one though. Haven't seen any serious slamdowns lately

I was referring to the AWL incident (dunno if you followed that), wherein one of the justifications I recall seeing bandied about for why Hal's blatantly offensive and inflammatory post to AWL - which included such pleasantries as direct personal insults, judgments of character, and wishing for her career to fail - was not deleted is that it is not the mods' place to censor the opinions of members. Meanwhile, today I post a comment on the "Rebuild vs. NME" thread expressing (through sarcasm/comedy) that I thought the basis of the debate was absurd and that both the aggression and air of self-proclaimed expertise in Reichu's comment directed at Warren Peace was laughable, and rather than an actual response or even a warning my post gets deleted outright, as well as the followup post in which I expressed (again, humorously) that I didn't think that was appropriate. It just seems awfully hypocritical to me, is all.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Since you previously said you believe nothing needs to be taken seriously, I don't see you should feel the need need to comment on that thread that you feel it is ludicrous as it only means you actually took the debate seriously.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:28 pm

It's so cute how you're gradually figuring out how to troll, symbv

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:55 pm

Well, if you mean I was posting with no other purpose except to provoke negative emotional response and nothing else, I am sorry you think and feel that way. But I seriously think that you should not have felt a need to post there. Either you in fact took the debate seriously enough, or the sarcasm bug inside you just could not resist rearing its head. Besides, posting sarcastic comments while saying you don't take it seriously is usually just a way to hide a lack of desire to engage in constructive and substantial debate, rather than a lack of seriousness.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:56 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:I was referring to the AWL incident (dunno if you followed that), wherein one of the justifications I recall seeing bandied about for why Hal's blatantly offensive and inflammatory post to AWL - which included such pleasantries as direct personal insults, judgments of character, and wishing for her career to fail - was not deleted is that it is not the mods' place to censor the opinions of members.

Who said that? That's never been a reason, we'll remove posts if they break the rules no matter what members opinions may be. That post in particular (which has been long gone) was posted at a time of day when mods weren't around and the thread took on a lot of traffic before anyone could get to locking it. As opposed to simply sweeping pages of a thread under the rug immediately, we left it there until we decided what to do.

Meanwhile, today I post a comment on the "Rebuild vs. NME" thread expressing (through sarcasm/comedy) that I thought the basis of the debate was absurd and that both the aggression and air of self-proclaimed expertise in Reichu's comment directed at Warren Peace was laughable, and rather than an actual response or even a warning my post gets deleted outright, as well as the followup post in which I expressed (again, humorously) that I didn't think that was appropriate. It just seems awfully hypocritical to me, is all.

I saw that post, wasn't the one that deleted it, but it was complete gibberish. No clue what you were trying to get at. Didn't have time to do anything about it but when I got back to my comp, someone PMed me reporting that post but by then, it had already been deleted.

Sorry that thread doesn't meet your approval of "things that people are allowed to take seriously", but if you're going to complain about it, at least try to make it so other people know what you're going on about.

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:09 am

If there is one thing that I have learned from 15 years of posting in forums, it is this;

Mods do play favorites and do not distribute warnings/bans consistently. Some forums are better than others in this regard, but every single forum community has one or two moderators that misuse their position in order to silence opinions they personally don't agree with or as a shield to cover their asses for their own uncivil behavior.

This is just something that happens on forum boards. If you truly have a problem with it, then try contacting the admin(s) and pleading your case.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:12 am

Then I guess we're lucky because we don't have anyone like that here.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:15 am

Except for what powers they have, Mods and Admins are on a pretty equal playing field here and we make the big decisions for this site together.

Needless to say, if somebody is or would be caught playing favorites, they'd be reprimanded for it. As far as I remember, that hasn't been an issue, or not an issue in recent years since people learn their mistakes.

Now, not all the staff is online at all hours (we're spread across different Time Zones AND this is a high traffic website) which is going to make catching things (inappropriate posts, for instance) difficult or not something we immediately catch.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Pretty Hypocritical

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:19 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:I don't think it's very cool that when someone on this forum posts a vitriolic attack against another human being the mods determine that it is not their place to censor him

So I guess locking that shit and burying it in the graveyard isn't good enough, we need to delete it too?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:48 pm

It's not even in the graveyard.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:41 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:It's not even in the graveyard.

I was referring to this actually:

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/12580/How-I-feel-about-Sgt-Griffs-Questionable-Behavior/

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:46 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:So I guess locking that shit and burying it in the graveyard isn't good enough, we need to delete it too?

Just to be clear, you do know that the OP is three months old, right?

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:01 am

View Original PostBobBQ wrote:Just to be clear, you do know that the OP is three months old, right?

Was going to ask this

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”