NGE: Koutetsu no Girlfriend Special Edition

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Wevangeliwon
Tunniel
Tunniel

NGE: Koutetsu no Girlfriend Special Edition

•      
  •      

Postby Wevangeliwon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:54 pm

Girlfriend of Steel, Special Edition. I can't read Chinese, but I assume its pretty much the same game. Since I haven't played the original, I will probably order it.

Discuss.

SAUCE:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-7s-49-en-70-2h4f.html

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:54 am

Three words - Gainax Cash Cow

Looks lik Rebuild's bringing back all the old properties.
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:42 pm

So they released the Special Edition in Chinese, huh?

Cool, cool.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Re: NGE: Koutetsu no Girlfriend Special Edition

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:29 pm

Wevangeliwon wrote:I can't read Chinese

We need a Chinese translator. Ornette, I choose you!
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:11 am

*bumping the old thread (actually there are at least two threads regarding GoS SV)*
Well, I've finally played this game after months, I've been postponing it from some months. The new scenes are easily recognasible, mainly because of the different drawings, they've probably been made by Cyberfront rather than Gainax, but the more amazing part was Mana's voice during the flashback scene, she almost sounded like Yui. I've played the basic "Mana route" (I trusted Mana and then I kept searching her after the destruction of Raiden), and in my case the additional videos were apparently mere additions, they didn't require any special action/choice from my part, I've used the same route several times with the old GoS, I wonder if there are different endings or special events.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:17 am

Special Edition has a brand new ending you can choose from. When Shinji's sitting on the bench brooding on what to do now, the original 3 ending choices are there, but there should be a new forth one at the bottom. You select that one then it shows Shinji and Mana reuniting in Tokyo-3 and apparently moving in together despite Angels still attacking. There's some other stuff going on too but I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in this or another thread.

But yes, any decisions you make during the gameplay doesn't affect the ending you get, you can still choose whichever one you want.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:29 am

^thanks for mentioning it, SSD, I completely missed it. It's a quite... confusing ending, I'd say. It looks like Shinji, ahem, becomes a man, I never imagined to see a thing like that in an official publication. Also Asuka living together with Kaji, Hyuga declaring his love for Misato... it's really a weird ending, though Shinji drinking coffees like they were alcohol was probably the weirdest part.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:22 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:^thanks for mentioning it, SSD, I completely missed it. It's a quite... confusing ending, I'd say. It looks like Shinji, ahem, becomes a man, I never imagined to see a thing like that in an official publication. Also Asuka living together with Kaji, Hyuga declaring his love for Misato...

Yeah, very bizarre all around. :kaos_sick: To be honest (and no I'm NOT just saying this because Mana/Shinji hook up in that ending), I feel the original three endings fit the tone better of the game, they have that bittersweet Eva feel to it, you know? Hopeful but sad at the same time. It'd be nice if the Mana/Shinji ending wouldn't have been so....odd...I guess. And yes, from what I recall, in the scene when Shinji and Mana are relaxing in their apartment, there is some sort of offhand comment that they have sex. I have the PSP version of Special Edition, I should play through it again.

it's really a weird ending, though Shinji drinking coffees like they were alcohol was probably the weirdest part.

If you mean the part before Mana and Shinji run into each other, I think it's a parody of when a character's drowning their sorrows in their beverage of choice (but usually alcohol). It's a common comedy trope.

And of course, has a TV tropes page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DrowningMySorrows , http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IllTellYouWhenIveHadEnough , http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DrunkOnMilk

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:32 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Yeah, very bizarre all around. :kaos_sick: To be honest (and no I'm NOT just saying this because Mana/Shinji hook up in that ending), I feel the original three endings fit the tone better of the game, they have that bittersweet Eva feel to it, you know?

I agree, it's like they turned the game into a "comedy" like GoS2nd but it feels not really adequate to GoS general tone.
View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:And yes, from what I recall, in the scene when Shinji and Mana are relaxing in their apartment, there is some sort of offhand comment that they have sex.

There's also the point where she says "be kind", I believe that it was before their "first time".
View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:If you mean the part before Mana and Shinji run into each other, I think it's a parody of when a character's drowning their sorrows in their beverage of choice (but usually alcohol)l. It's a common comedy trope.

Sure but I never expected a similar thing, again it wasn't really in the tone of the original game.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I agree, it's like they turned the game into a "comedy" like GoS2nd but it feels not really adequate to GoS general tone.

Agreed. I mean, one thing that could have helped is NOT casually brushing off the fact the Angels are still attacking. If the Mana/Shinji ending was slightly adjusted to more of a tone of "There will still be battles since I'm an Eva pilot, but I want to stay by your side and protect you, Mana.", that would have been nice (though cliched, yeah). I still can't get over about Kaji and Asuka moving in and Hyuga confessing to Misato though... That's just so OOC, but I'm sure people would argue both the game's Shinji/Asuka end or Shinji/Mana end are. >_> (FWIW, I love the LAS end because it's VERY in-character for them and it brings the game on a nice closing note to "continue" with the Action/Descent Arc of NGE. The ending with Asuka's behavior towards Shinji and his reaction isn't a stretch by any means considering their behavior in-series or EoE.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for light-hearted or happy endings in Eva and the spin-offs, but I prefer them to make sense on some level.

There's also the point where she says "be kind", I believe that it was before their "first time".

Yep. it was something like "Will you be gentle" (優しい etc), I think.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:20 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Agreed. I mean, one thing that could have helped is NOT casually brushing off the fact the Angels are still attacking. If the Mana/Shinji ending was slightly adjusted to more of a tone of "There will still be battles since I'm an Eva pilot, but I want to stay by your side and protect you, Mana.", that would have been nice (though cliched, yeah)

The funny thing is that Asuka apparently would still fight if there'll be Angel's attacks, even if she's almost a housewife, while Shinji will simply go around with Mana, though it's not like it doesn't completely make sense, Shinji escaping from battles is a recurring theme in Evangelion (it's possible to quit even in NGE2). Anyway, I think that probably an ending like the one that you've suggested wasn't possible because Mana had to somehow hide even after her identity has been deleted, probably she couldn't hang around Neo Tokyo 3 for much time without attracting suspects from the Japanese military and Shinji just HAVE to stay close to her, you know.
View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:but I'm sure people would argue both the game's Shinji/Asuka end or Shinji/Mana end are. >_>

Probably :lol:
View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm all for light-hearted or happy endings in Eva and the spin-offs, but I prefer them to make sense on some level.

Me too, personally I think that light-hearted endings should make sense inside their own continuity, adding that new ending to GoS was really weird.
View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Yep. it was something like "Will you be gentle" (優しい), I think.

You're right, I think that it was 優しい.

Anyway, one thing that I never liked in GoS was Rei's role and actions, she's almost completely useless and she glacially rejects Shinji in some rare instances when they have some interaction, it's fitting with Rei's disappearence after episode 6 but I was still disappointed, though I kinda like Mana, probably that strip about Mana being Rei in disguise was correct. 2nd Impression in comparison was more balanced between the various characters, GoS is either Shinji/Mana or Shinji/Asuka, though it's also true that 2nd Impression had very little romance compared to GoS.
Last edited by Hyper Shinchan on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:28 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:at least they should make sense inside their own continuity, adding that new ending to GoS was really weird.

Exactly!

Anyway, one thing that I never liked in GoS was Rei's role and actions, she's almost completely useless and she glacially rejects Shinji in some rare instances when they have some interaction.

Well, GoS2 is RiAO not "our" Rei. But, I guess GoS-Rei's on the sidelines since she was at that point in the series (Middle arc). In the first Sega game, I don't believe there's a Rei route but Second Impression has a Rei route where the ending involves them eating a meal at Nerv together. (Rei isn't eating enough and Shinji's worried about her health, kind-sorta like Ha but not quite.)

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:39 pm

Sorry, I've been editing my previous post like a crazy, anyway I've not changed anything of major.
View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Well, GoS2 is RiAO not "our" Rei

Wrong, she's RiMW, "Rei is Mai Waifu" :lol:
View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:so I guess GoS-Rei's on the sidelines since she was at that point in the series (Middle arc).

Yeah, I mentioned it (maybe after an edit, I don't remember), but it's still disappointing, 2nd Impression is exactly at the middle of the series, before Weaving a Story, if I remember correctly, but she has a more important role.
View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:In the first Sega game, I don't believe there's a Rei route but Second Impression has a Rei route where the ending involves them eating a meal at Nerv together. (Rei isn't eating enough and Shinji's worried about her health, kind-sorta like Ha but not quite.)

Well, personally I think that there's really no comparison between the first Sega game and 2nd Impression, it's really disappointing that they've not made a DVD Interactive porting for 2nd Impression too since I really liked it.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:42 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:it's really disappointing that they've not made a DVD Interactive porting for 2nd Impression too since I really liked it.

Oh I know! I have the DVD of the first Sega game, it'd would have been nice if a DVD of 2nd Impression was made. Mayumi just isn't as well-known as Mana, which is a shame. :shinji_boohoo: It probably doesn't help that Mana was in both the Game/Manga of Ikari Shinji Raising Project not just GoS where Mayumi was only in 2nd Impression. Sigh.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:49 pm

^I always thought that they never ported 2nd Impression because the first DVD wasn't a huge hit, a mere hypothesis of mine, though it's also true that those lazy guys never reprinted it and it's currently unavailable (my DVD is an used one, luckily in excellent conditions); your theory about the popularity of Mayumi is actually an interesting one, though probably we'll never know the exact reason, I just hope that sooner or later there'll be a porting of some kind.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:38 am

Hey, not to interrupt a discussion between the two veterans, but you all obviously know how to acquire some sort of English version of this. Does such a thing exist that you can let me know about? Or... No... I'll just... Sit over here...

:shinchair:

I really don't want to break any rules as a new member.
AVATAR: Zer0 from Borderlands 2.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:54 am

View Original PostONIAgent150 wrote:I really don't want to break any rules as a new member.

Don't worry, I think that you've not broken any single rule. SSD understands Japanese enough to play this game while I've used an Italian patch, I think that there isn't an English translation of this game so far.

@admins: that website doesn't host any illegal material, it's only the patch that should applied to a legally owned copy of the game.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Oh! Cool! Well, then is there a place where I can get an English version of the original? There is an AWFUL translation walkthrough on Youtube, but I was hoping to experience it for myself. Again, I don't want to break any rules, so if it's not legal, just hush me.
AVATAR: Zer0 from Borderlands 2.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”