Worth seeing death and rebirth?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Worth seeing death and rebirth?

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:18 pm

I've got the original 26 episodes, the directors cut versions of the last few episodes, and EoE. Is there anything new or different about death and rebirth that would merit its own viewing?

To rephrase it, is there any new content or significant events that I'm missing out on by not watching death and rebirth?
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:30 pm

Death draws some more connections, and has some supposed look-alikes of all the CHILDREN warming up for, and then playing, a string quartet.

I usually skip over it when I'd just watched the series, or have just shown the whole series to someone.

Skip Rebirth, it's just the first 30 min or so of EoE.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:35 pm

If you go by Death & Rebirth, odds are that you will be dissapointed. Rebirth isn't worth watching. Death however is quite good as a prelude to The End of Evangelion. If you don't have the time to watch the entire TV series befor hand, Death will get you in the right frame of mind to watch EoE and enjoyit to its fullest.

Seeing as how Manga Entertainment is supposed to be putting the Renewal versions out at some point in the future, I would suggest waiting for that. Seeing as how there is no such thing as a Renewal version of Rebirth, I'm hoping that they'll do one release of Death and EoE in one package.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:39 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:If you don't have the time to watch the entire TV series befor hand, Death will get you in the right frame of mind to watch EoE and enjoyit to its fullest.

heh, very important, that. Probobly a lot quicker than skipping from 19, to 22, to 24.

Thanks.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:07 pm

There are also a few bits of animation that is unique only to Death. The only meaningful one I can think of is Rei I seeing Kaworu. More importantly (like cat42 mentioned) it isn't so much a recap of the first 24 episodes that makes it interesting, but HOW it recaps them. Events are stringed together in an interesting way, not chronological in story timeline nor series.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:43 am

It's an awesome moodsetter, so I'll just reiterate what Monkey said;

The Eva Monkey wrote:Death however is quite good as a prelude to The End of Evangelion. If you don't have the time to watch the entire TV series befor hand, Death will get you in the right frame of mind to watch EoE and enjoyit to its fullest.

Don't watch it right after the series; it's just repeating itself.

I'm gonna go watch 'Death' pretty soon. I've seen the whole series with a pal, but it's been sporadic and now it's been months since we arrived at the brink of 'EoE'. Death'll do the trick, I hope.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:20 am

thanks for all the helpful responses. Also thanks for moving the thread (i think i put it in the discussion forum).

MAL Profile

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:07 pm

I love Death; IMO it's the best part of Eva. Sure, it's mostly recycled footage, but it's put together beautifully. Skipping it just because you've already seen the series would be a horrible thing.

But yeah, Rebirth is a waste of time.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:14 pm

Space Penis wrote:I love Death; IMO it's the best part of Eva. Sure, it's mostly recycled footage, but it's put together beautifully.

You must admit that Death is one of the greatest re-edited works out there. I'm amazed by it to this day.

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:34 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Space Penis wrote:I love Death; IMO it's the best part of Eva. Sure, it's mostly recycled footage, but it's put together beautifully.

You must admit that Death is one of the greatest re-edited works out there. I'm amazed by it to this day.

Death is my fav thing Eva related to watch. Whenever I feel like watching Eva I watch Death. Death is probably the only time I ever watch clip shows.(redeath is also one of my favs"oh baby")
I don't care for Eva-elitists. I don't know everything, and neither do you.

"I'm real tempted to say Kaworu and Evangelionfreak" Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Is that why they call you EvangelionFreak?" DatDude
"I will never understand you, Evangelionfreak. Never ever." Faußtin
"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Well, that still leaves Evangelionfreak straighter to me. Phew." Reichu

ssetbob7
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ssetbob7 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:53 pm

I've seen Death (online, youtube saves my life!) but can't seem to find Rebirth so I will take every body's word for it that I am not missing that much, what a relief.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:14 pm

I know a site that has Rebirth on it. (*cough* Reichu-chan *cough* NGE Geeks Commentary page)

Yes, Youtube is a very happy thing. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have been able to see 15-EoE! :D (minus Rebirth)

I personally think Death is brillantly edited and well-done, so what I don't understand is why are some some "farging ice-holes" out there that think it sucks? To quote my beloved Asuka: Anta baka? :?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:20 pm

It is a giant letdown if you've seen screenshots of new stuff and is expecting a movie. It's not a movie.

WES512
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby WES512 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:52 pm

In Death, many of the TV scenes that were reworked turned out to be excellent, in special the one of Rei smiling at the end of episode 6.
And there are scenes that make a connection to the events of EoE, for example this one:
[URL=http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot20061009001716hh4.jpg]Image[/URL]
Because of these two points, I recommend to watch Death.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:55 pm

youtube? oh come on.. isohunt and torrentspy all the way. 8)

MAL Profile

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:22 pm

slothen wrote:youtube? oh come on.. isohunt and torrentspy all the way. 8)

QFPT

Though, I did buy them legally, so :P

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:50 am

cat42 wrote:QFPT

okay.. this must be a new internetism or something.. what the hell does it mean. im getting sick of being in the dark.

MAL Profile

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:04 am

Quoted for pirate truth
:P

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”