LET'S PLAY "Neon Genesis Evangelion 2"!

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:05 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Ah, good to know. That's always confused me, so I'm glad to get it sorted out. It's an odd choice though, now that I look at it; if they're naming the things as a series why not keep the convention consistent?

If the convention in research labs of Japan likes to name model 01 as "shogo-something" then it is consistent with their convention I guess.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Come to it, it doesn't make any sense to have a "unit 00", either. The first unit is, well, the first. If there's one that came before the first then that one's the first. That's what "first" means!

One reason why something is named 00 instead of 01 could be because 00 is not considered the real production model but more as a prototype.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:09 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:If the convention in research labs of Japan likes to name model 01 as "shogo-something" then it is consistent with their convention I guess.

There is that. I wonder how often such labs have a series to work with, though.

One reason why something is named 00 instead of 01 could be because 00 is not considered the real production model but more as a prototype.

That's the rationale that's always been offered (unit 00 = prototype, unit 01 = test type, unit 02 = production model), but in practice unit 00 is out there doing all the same stuff the others do so I can't see any significant difference there.

If your prototype is being maintained and used as a weapon of war I submit that it is no longer a prototype. But I suppose that's just me being picky.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:39 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:There is that. I wonder how often such labs have a series to work with, though.

Even if it is a series of prototypes or tests, it can be named this way. It does not have to be a production series.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That's the rationale that's always been offered (unit 00 = prototype, unit 01 = test type, unit 02 = production model), but in practice unit 00 is out there doing all the same stuff the others do so I can't see any significant difference there.
If your prototype is being maintained and used as a weapon of war I submit that it is no longer a prototype. But I suppose that's just me being picky.

It is not hard to imagine, at least for me, that a prototype may be taken for actual deployment and used just like a production model (and maintained as such) and the naming is kept as it is to keep things simple (and reduce confusion caused by renaming).
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:51 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:It is not hard to imagine, at least for me, that a prototype may be taken for actual deployment and used just like a production model (and maintained as such) and the naming is kept as it is to keep things simple (and reduce confusion caused by renaming).

I would think it should be renamed in that case (as in the speculated change from Unit 01 to Unit 08 in Q), but again, that's just me being picky. It's fine as is, really, I'm just thinking aloud (er . . . ) here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:37 am

I'm enjoying the walk through so far.
thanks Reichu! :)
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks!

But it would be awesome if you could add subs. (For the character dialogue)
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:07 pm

View Original PostSomeone wrote:But it would be awesome if you could add subs. (For the character dialogue)

That's assuming I personally understand everything that they say. -o-; I understand enough to get by in the game, but it would take a lot of effort for me to translate all of the "small talk" and such. (And the various cut scenes I still have lying around are probably more interesting than Maya's musings on avocados.)

I guess if I get "bored" enough waiting for my backup files to render, I could mess around with subtitles... though they'd probably be part helpful, part "what, me know Japanese?". :whistle:

Hoping to get the actual Israfel fight up... er, sometime. :tongue:

@symbv: Thanks for the elaboration on the -gouki stuff.

My only other personal acquaintance with the convention is from Pocket Monsters, of all things, where Porygon models enumerated Zerogouki and Shogouki are both put to active use, so I knew NGE wasn't totally unusual about this. This is from the infamous "seizure" episode, in case anyone is wondering.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Ive watched or skipped through all of them. Much enjoyment was had.

More stuff about what the character are saying please.

I hear a lot of chuckling and repeating of what characters are saying but I would lik to know what it is and why its funny.

Also, please dont toy with poor Maya's affections, the poor gal's vulnerable enough as it is.

However seeing this made the whole thing worthwhile
SPOILER: Show
'Oh hai Lilins'
Zerry's big grinning vissog posing for the camera is funny to me.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:39 pm

I have a question. If Rei dies, does she get cloned?
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:20 pm

Alreet, I added some dodgily timed subtitles to part 1. (You may have to turn them on.) Just as an experiment.

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:I have a question. If Rei dies, does she get cloned?

Her next clone shows up, yes. I've only gotten up to number 5 in any of my games.

You haven't seen it happen in the Kaworu game because Rei isn't going into battle, due to Eva-00 being on vacation or whatever. Too bad...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:31 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Alreet, I added some dodgily timed subtitles to part 1. (You may have to turn them on.) Just as an experiment.

Don't kill yourself doing that. I mean, it's nice, don't get me wrong, but there's a lot of material there and you shouldn't feel compelled to sub it all. Also, your commentary covers the more pertinent points, so it's not essential by any means.

But if you're keen on doing it, well . . . yay! I certainly won't knock it!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: LET'S PLAY "Neon Genesis Evangelion 2"!

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:21 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Though, who wouldn't want to listen to every second of my sultry voice...?
At least your neutral American (New England more than New Joisey) accent is easy on the ears -- but you don't half say "Fuck!" a lot.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:33 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:At least your neutral American (New England more than New Joisey) accent is easy on the ears -- but you don't half say "Fuck!" a lot.

I only curse a lot during part 1, honest. -o-; (Now, if I were playing a game that actually challenged my hand-eye coordination and involved regularly plummeting off edges, getting sucked into black holes, or being reduced to a pile of gore, I would be pulling out every epithet at my disposal.)

The part of NJ I've spent 1/29 of my life in seems to encourage a neutral northwest US accent, by and by. It's not quite New England, but it's not quite "Joisey" either. I suppose I can't complain too much. :tongue:

@Bagheera: I was just messing around, mostly. I don't actually intend to make subtitle tracks for all of the walkthroughs. (And even if I did, I would get progressively lazier with each one.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:36 am

Well...I was amused and entertained for a time, at least. And you sounded different that what I was expecting (I actually didn't know what to expect, given that it's...you).
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:01 pm

To keep things on point: when you comment that I'm not being snarky enough, is that based on the first video alone, or a survey of several? I'm not an earnest stiff, as far as I can tell. (I might get throat-tired and not say a while lot sometimes, but that's another matter.)

SSD told me that she was having trouble getting the videos to play loud enough, so I've been boosting the volumes on new videos. This makes the background noise in my voiceovers considerably more obvious to me, compelling action. While I've been able to filter out background ambiance easily enough, I'm not sure what to do about the rather noisy external hard drive. (Yes, I know, if I'd been smart I would have moved it early on...) If any of those reading are familiar with noise filtering techniques, then a pointer or two would be greatly appreciated.

Currently encoding part 14...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:36 am

14 through 17 are online. 17 is the first part of my third recording session, so I am fresh and plenty silly. 18 through 22 on the way.

Yes... somehow I've managed to get up to 22 already... but I'm nearly done with the scenario now, so that's good.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:14 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:I have a question. If Rei dies, does she get cloned?

I know Reichu answered this already, but to go more in-depth:

As long as you're not playing Rei 02's scenario (where you get a game over if you die), yeah, there's a new clone three days after the battle. In the PS2 version of the game I remember getting up to clone number 6(!), who knows how. In the PSP version I got up to clone number 4 or 5.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Another thing to note about Rei's clonal reappearances is that the battle reports won't actually acknowledge that Rei has died. But I guess that makes sense. :sly:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:28 pm

The playthrough is complete at 24 parts! Still editing audio and video, though. Up to 21 are online.

BTW, 16 has been reuploaded because of an audio sync issue.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:55 pm

Folks didn't think I'd ever finish uploading this, but seven (?!??!) years later and we're almost done.

2019/2/12: Part 22 is up. Fully subtitled.
2019/2/16: Part 23 is up. Fully subtitled.

("Fully" here means "quite thorough, but I might skip the occasional thing that's not terribly important".)

Last one should show up within the next week. After that, I'm kind of tempted to do a Shinji playthrough where I attempt to make life as difficult for him as possible. This, incidentally, makes my life more difficult, since an unhappy Shinji has a lower AT value, and a low AT value makes the game very difficult, if not at times impossible. In other words, the playthrough would be thoroughly entertaining, provided one doesn't mind sitting through a lot of Game Overs and backtracking to previous save files... Anyone like the idea? (I guess I should make sure I can still capture video from my PS2 before I make too many plans...)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Fan Works”