Platinum Next-Time Preview questions

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Platinum Next-Time Preview questions

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:32 pm

1) Are the Next Time Previews for the Video (& released on LD, or were those the theraical versions?? :?) versions of 25' (Air) and 26' (My Purest Heart for you) [url]http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/mdwigs/Movies.html[/url] included as omake and/or included on any of the Platinum DVDS? (I only have up to Vol.3 so far... >_<)
I've seen a raw 25' preview on a fansub and I've seen a raw 26' preview (both were poor quality), so I'm wondering what the translations were and I think that'd be a cool extra to have.
The 25' preview I have more or less of an idea of what's being said, mostly because Misato had esstienally the same speech as on the Addition track (which I wish I could find somewhere, too bad it's OOP! >_<) but with the 26' preview I'm not really sure. (All I know is Misato says something about Shinji being in a place where there was nothing there (LCL Sea??). IE: soko ni something wa nakatta, soki ni something else wa nakatta. soko ni yet another thing wa nakatta, soki ni...)

2) The 30-sec Next Time previews were only included for the NPC episodes (21'-24'), right? Were they not included in the Japanese DVD release as well? Why couldn't both versions (15-sec and 30-sec) be included for the episodes?! (Lemme guess: Because ADV sucks ass?)
...Yes, I'm very nit-picky when it comes to releases of my favorite anime.
>_<
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:52 pm

You have just confused the shit out of me.

On the platinum disc, the preview shown at the end of 24' is for 25'.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Platinum Next-Time Preview questions

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:18 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:1) Are the Next Time Previews for the Video (& released on LD, or were those the theraical versions?? :?) versions of 25' (Air) and 26' (My Purest Heart for you) [url]http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/mdwigs/Movies.html[/url] included as omake and/or included on any of the Platinum DVDS?

The preview at the end of (the so-called "Genesis" version of) #25' isn't anywhere on Platinum. Come to think of it, I can't recall it being anywhere on Renewal, either, and that includes the Bonus Disc.

so I'm wondering what the translations were

Was able to figure out enough to find the rest with Google...

遂に阿鼻叫喚の現実を直視する碇シンジ
その衝撃に耐えかねた彼は自我を幻想へと委ねる
そこに真実という名の苦痛はなかった
そこに自己という名の虚構はなかった
そこに他者という名の恐怖はなかった
そこに他人という名の希望はなかった
そこに自分という名の存在もなかった
次回 終局 「まごころを、君に」

Transration:

Finally, Shinji Ikari faces the Pandemonium that is reality.
Unable to cope with the trauma, he resigns himself to a fantasy world.
Where there is no pain called 'reality'.
Where there is no fiction called 'myself'.
Where there is no fear called 'other people'.
Where there is no hope called 'others'.
Where there is no existence called 'the self'.
Next time, the finale: "My Pure Heart for You"

2) The 30-sec Next Time previews were only included for the NPC episodes (21'-24'), right? Were they not included in the Japanese DVD release as well? Why couldn't both versions (15-sec and 30-sec) be included for the episodes?! (Lemme guess: Because ADV sucks ass?)

The 30-sec previews for all episodes are indeed included as extras on the Renewal release. It wouldn't have been terribly hard for ADV to include them, but...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:38 am

Wait, there are previews after the credits on all episodes in the Platinum thinpack.

Oh, are you talking about this?

The Video Version of Episode 25':

Eye catch: "Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode: 25' Love is destructive."
Credits for just episode 25 are shown at the end to the song "Thanatos - If I Can't Be Yours - (Short Version)"
At the end of the episode there is a preview of the next episode.

I was hoping for remastered original previews. There's some rough versions of unfinished scenes in there that were left out of Renewal (it seems), and it became a pain to imitate when Kevin Caldwell used those for 'Engel'.

So the Renewal 'Evangelion Movies' DVD, with 'Death' and 'EoE'...
...is "Revival", through and through?

I recall downloading a VCD of it a few years ago, wanting to check out the madness again. There was the caption "Iia". I thought it was powerful.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:40 am

You're making me really confused.

Kaysow wrote:Wait, there are previews after the credits on all episodes in the Platinum thinpack.

Oh, are you talking about this?

The Video Version of Episode 25':

Eye catch: "Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode: 25' Love is destructive."
Credits for just episode 25 are shown at the end to the song "Thanatos - If I Can't Be Yours - (Short Version)"
At the end of the episode there is a preview of the next episode.

When I'm talking about what ADV left out, I'm talking about this:

I wrote:Japan

On Air (OA): The version that aired on Japanese television. The next episode previews are 15 seconds long.

Video & LD Version: The version initially released to video cassette and laser disc, and later to DVD. Sometimes tweaks were made in the transition, but these tend to be minor. Most notable of these are the Video & LD Versions of #21 ~ #24 (specially designated with primes, e.g., #21' ~ #24'), the so-called "director's cuts", sometimes called the New Production Cut (NPC) episodes instead. The next episode previews are 30 seconds long.

Renewal: A remastered version of the series released to DVD. Some modifications have been made from the previous release. (Eat your heart out, George Lucas.) Both versions of the #21~#24 cluster are included. (Although OA #21 and #22 are missing a lot of their original visuals, featuring the NPC revisions instead!) Except for the NPC episodes, the previews have been restored to 15 seconds; however, the 30-second versions are included as extras.

I was hoping for remastered original previews. There's some rough versions of unfinished scenes in there that were left out of Renewal (it seems), and it became a pain to imitate when Kevin Caldwell used those for 'Engel'.

I recall downloading a VCD of it a few years ago, wanting to check out the madness again. There was the caption "Iia". I thought it was powerful.

Asuka's "Iya". If it was a caption on a black screen, rather than spoken aloud, that means you saw the 'Genesis' version.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:54 am

What is the 'Genesis' version?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:58 am

cat42 wrote:What is the 'Genesis' version?

See the bottom of this page, "The End of Evangelion: Theatrical release Vs. Video release".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:26 am

Thank you. Now I finally know that I didn't hallucinate a preview for 26', (I first saw the movies as a fansub, obviously it seems, of the video release).

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:14 pm

Gotcha

Reichu wrote:

When the show was airing, they composed previews of the next episode, which was by then in production and unfinished. That made for some unique (albeit now obsolete) footage. Like parts of the Ep.9 fight without a timer and stuff. These unique, rough scenes were scrapped for Renewal, it would seem :(

I'm trying to be brief here, but do keep reading if you're curious.
This is assuming Kevin Caldwell got this shot from were I think he did.

Pre-Renewal, in the preview for episode 9, we see Units 01 & 02 backflipping away from the twin angels (I'll never learn their names). There is A) No timer counting down, and B) More buildings in the foreground.
When I got my Platinum box, this was impossible to locate. Instead, it seems that they have replaced this shot in the preview with one from the Ep.14 recap. It's the same scene, with no timer, but also with the buildings in the foreground removed.

Same thing with the shot of Shinji & Asuka's faces just as they deliver the final kick, in the lost footage, there's a pan that's not in Renewal.

Shit, I hope noone's gonna kick my ass for wasting his/her time here :D This is all totally needless information, unless you're trying to faithfully recreate an AMV using said lost footage.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:45 pm

Sucks that those weren't included. :( Thanks for pointing that out, Reichu-chan!

EDIT: Though interestingly enough, the Platinum transcripts from your site at the end of 24', has the dialouge for the 25' next-time [video version, as there was no Next-Time for the thearter versions] preview. :shock: Hmmm....I guess maybe that was included for Platinum but the 26' Next-Time wasn't?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”