Subbed or Dubbed?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Subbed or Dubbed?

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:48 pm

I've seen both but I like the dubbed version better. *Hides under his desk.* I guess I just like the english voice actors voices more.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Slade
Embryo

Postby Slade » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:07 pm

I agree. (ducks under desk too) Muhahahahaha! Serisouly I liked the dubb more then the sub, the dub actors add so much more personality to the characters. Especially what Allison Keith did for Misato, absolute brillance.
"All I have ever asked of this world is that when my time comes, let it be for something, not of something."

- Slade

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

Postby MongolSquad » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:21 pm

I haven't watched the entire series on subs, but I've seen it entirelyon dubs. I think I like the subs a little better because Asuka's Japanese actor doesn't make her sound like an arrogant bitch at crucial moments, like when she and Shinji kissed. Another reason is because touji and kenski don't grate on my nerves in the subs. But I liked the dubs overall.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Phaze » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:34 pm

I myself prefer the sub, except for the EoE where the outstanding dub takes the cake.
Allison Keith's performance was very good, but she didn't fit Misato's role very well. She sounded too young.
Shinji role was also lacking, Spike Spencer tried really hard to sound as Shinji's original seiyuu had, and couldn't quite make it work.
Finally, Gendo's voice was sub-par as well, his voice seemed to say "Scientist nerd" instead of "Cold manipulator."
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby wildarmsheero » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:37 pm

When I first started to watch Evangelion, the only VHSs they had were dubbed, so I was stuck with that. Once I got my perfect set, I didn't bother to change the language. This was mainly because most of the anime I've watched to that point had been dubbed. After that, I started watching random episodes dubbed and subbed. One day, I decided to watch all of Evangelion over again, except this time, subbed. I enjoyed it a great deal more than the dubbed version and I've been a subbie ever since.

The dub, in my opinion was ok when the episodes were less serious and more humorous. Also, there are some voices that I thought were pretty good through out the whole show (Kaji and Gendou). But for the most part, the dub was not nearly as good in serious moments as the sub was.

The sub is perfect. Every line is performed flawlessly with the right amount of expression that is needed. There’s no competition.

Yeah... my two cents.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:03 pm

I like the dubbed version better, the subbed version is good but you spend to much time concentrating (unless you have already memorized the series) on the words that you can't let your mind wander as much on certain scenes.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

max3000
Matarael
Matarael

Postby max3000 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:29 pm

Subs give me a headache...
So i'm gonna go with dubbed versions...
Seriously, dubbed versions make it more easy to concentrate on watching thw series\movie instead of trying to read the subtitles.
http://max3000.deviantart.com

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:42 pm

I only watch subs if i can't find it dubed

Slade wrote:I agree. (ducks under desk too) Muhahahahaha! Serisouly I liked the dubb more then the sub, the dub actors add so much more personality to the characters. Especially what Allison Keith did for Misato, absolute brillance.

Im with you 100% except for the under desk hiding. . . . I'll hid in the bathroom untill it over.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Nephilim » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:53 pm

Hahaha, yeahh !!! other people thinks like y do !!!
All otakus want to kill me for that !!!

But i'm chilean, and i have watched the Mexican dubs for evangelion when it was on TV, and they are very well done, but i downloaded renewal with spanish dubs, and they SUCK !!!.
I mean, Kaworu says lilth to the lilims, so you never understand when he identifies the identity of Lilith !!!!, ooo i wanted to kill myself. And those spanish people never know how to pronounce in english !!!, its so frustrating... :x
*insert cool signature here*

Quiddity
Lilith

Postby Quiddity » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:27 pm

The Japanese language track is great. The voices are really good including favorites like Kotono Mitsuishi and the actress who did Maya (can't remember her name off the top of my head). The dub on the other hand completely reeks. And keep in mind that this is coming from a huge dub fan, one who supports many, many dubs even ones that are flamed to death by the fandom, like Gundam Seed. I can't stress how much of a dissappointment it was. And quite possibly the biggest problem is that the show has plenty of good actors! There's nothing wrong with actors like Spike Spencer or Tiffany Grant. They've done well in other stuff like Nadesico or RahXephon. But in Eva they're absolutely horrific. It isn't them taking time getting used to the characters, because they're still bad at the end of the series and in End of Eva. Frankly, I think its quite clear that the problem was coming from the Director, Amanda Winn. From my own conversations with her, the infamous director's commentary on EOE and D&R and various published interviews its quite clear that she is the reason why the Eva dub turned out so bad. Its a shame that one person can ruin such a masterpiece for us in English.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:06 pm

Actually I prefer the english Asuka to the Japanese one. Grant just sounds more bossy and confident, like Asuka should be.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:46 pm

Quiddity wrote:Frankly, I think its quite clear that the problem was coming from the Director, Amanda Winn. From my own conversations with her, the infamous director's commentary on EOE and D&R and various published interviews its quite clear that she is the reason why the Eva dub turned out so bad. Its a shame that one person can ruin such a masterpiece for us in English.

She can only be blamed for the movies, which she did with husband Jason Lee, through Gaijin productions. Personnally, I think I could give her the benefit of having done a decent job, except for the really annoying sound effects she added. Matt Greenfield was the ADR director for the series and director's cuts. I think he did an ok job, minus a few things he added that added levity to a scene that was intended to be serious.

Personally, I liked the Eva dub, but that was back when I preferred dubs. And I have gotten over the whole "I don't want to read" thing, and have come to appreciate the fine art of Japanese ensemble voice acting. And with names like Megumi Ogata, Kotono Mitsuishi, Yuko Miyamura, and Megumi Hayashibara, how can you go wrong? Plus if you think about it, the voice acting in the original is directed by Anno himself, so it is in many senses more true to his vision to watch it in a format closer to the original.

Crazyman42
Lilith

Postby Crazyman42 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:55 pm

I didn't know the English version was considered at Dub. Subbed all the way.

Super Mega Ultra Deluxe
Embryo

Postby Super Mega Ultra Deluxe » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:33 am

There some anime where the dubs are good and you can enjoy the full experience with them, I didn't think Eva was one of them. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort English VA and crew made to create the Dub, but I think the Japanese VAs are just so incredible, that it makes everything else just sounds mediocre.

I always believed to enjoy the true Eva experience requires you watched sub, there is so much more depth and emotion to it.

Plus while Spike might've busted a lung doing it, the Megumi's screams are what I think really sell the scene.

It's sorta hard for me to watch the dub though, so I have only a couple episodes to comapre to, which might not be too fair.

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby TheMessiah » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:35 am

i watched Eva twice on dub

i am watching it again on sub. there are quite a bit of little things that you miss on dubs. but late at night, you dont want to have to read all those little things
monstrum in fronte, monstrum in animo

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Ayanami » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:22 am

Back in the day (which really wasn't that long ago), I used to watch all my anime subbed, because I thought all dubbed versions were as bad as the crap-tastic job they did on Sailor Moon. But lately, especially in ADV's case, their dubs have been quite exceptional, and now I prefer watching the dubbed version.

I watched Eva all the way through dubbed, and I found the job very well done. Allison Keith is AMAZING, and in the movies she just delivers an incredible, wonderful performance. I thought Tristan McAvery was great as Gendo, and I actually dislike Gendo's Japanese VA. He's too monotonous, even when he's supposed to be yelling. Spike (I love him so much) wasn't all that great in the beginning of the series, but after it picked up a bit, he got a little better. He was great in EoE.

I do have great respect for the Japanese VAs, and they did an incredible job themselves. I mean, nothing compares to the way Megumi Ogata screams. I honestly don't have a big preference to one version, because they're both so well done.
Close your eyes and listen hard

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby coff » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:57 pm

I always watch anime dubbed unless all I can get is subs. Guess I'm a n00b or whatever.

Quiddity you said the dub was horrible but you never really said what was horrible about it. I think most people agree that the Eva dub is pretty good.

Personally, I watch dubs because I find them more entertaining. And, don't hate me for saying this, but I think the reason why a lot of people condemn dubs is because they are so infatuated with Japanese culture that they are unwilling to accept any non-Japanese element. According to what I've read online, a Japanese seiyuu has never given a bad performance.

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby wildarmsheero » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:21 pm

Well, I for one think the Eva dub was bad because it just didn't seem convincing. When I watch it in Japanese, I can actually believe that these characters are feeling these emotions.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

MantiCore
Embryo

Postby MantiCore » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:37 am

I feel a majority of the characters sound flat in the dub. Only Fuyuzuki and Hyuga sounded halfway decent (imo).

Probably one of the most straining, powerful scenes (to me) in the series, when Misato is weeping while listening to her answering machine over and over, the VA's emotion felt incredibly distant and impersonal on the English dub.

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Vulkurt » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:07 am

For me, this has to do with how I initially see the series. If it is dubbed the first time I see it, I tend to watch the rest of it dubbed. If I see it first as subbed, then that's what I finish it as. For instance, yesterday at the Otakon AMV prescreenings, I saw an episode of One Piece subbed, so I'll watch it subbed if I watch any more of it (which is highly likely - it was entertaining :D ).
Done. Guarding.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”