Puella Magi Madoka Magika [2]

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 4166
Joined: Feb 11, 2010
Gender: Male

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:59 pm

won't even mention Mami v Charlotte.

That and the other witch battles weren't that good, just weapon spawning and teleportation.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Randomanon
Ramiel
Ramiel
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 317
Joined: May 23, 2011

Postby Randomanon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:17 pm

It's really not surprising you don't like Madoka. You made it abundantly clear from the start it was not your kind of anime. But for some reason, you'd decided already to see it. To be honest, if you'd come to this thread telling us your preferences and then asking if you should see Madoka, I for one would have recommended no. I consider it an excellent anime but there is no anime (or anything in general) that exists which I'd universally recommend to everyone. Anime taste is a subjective thing and there are plenty that I recognize as objectively excellent but I either didn't bother to watch or didn't enjoy watching because it wasn't to my tastes. It's not like there's any shortage of anime shown every season. I don't even have time to watch all the anime I would like to see and my backlog is easily over 100+.

So I never quite understood why people would try to watch something that they don't think they'd like. Why would you do that? Furthermore, why would you come to a fan thread and complain about how much you didn't like it when you expected not to like it in the first place? The whole thinking and acts behind that is beyond me and seems disrespectful or intended only to gain attention. I don't have time to post about the anime I do like much less even consider (not that its in my nature to do so, though) posting complaints about anime I don't like so yes I find it hard to understand this kind of behavior.

If you want my frank opinion, I'd say stop spending time watching Madoka or posting about it and spend the time more productively finding anime that is to your taste. It would be a win on both sides if you did so.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 4166
Joined: Feb 11, 2010
Gender: Male

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:37 pm

The rest of the folks here want to see my thoughts on it. Who knows, maybe it'll turn out decent from ep 5 onwards, maybe it'll be worse than.... That ONE series.... But I'm not the kind of guy that makes final decisions until I finish them. That and I don't drop anything. Besides, you guys might get a laugh out of me being tortured.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 14187
Joined: Jan 03, 2008
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

Postby Xard » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:54 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:I can't find ONE GOOD THING ABOUT THIS SERIES SO FAR.


and in that case you aren't even trying. Art direction and especially set designs and designjob in general are superb and the OST generally speaking sets the mood for scenes magnificently and is pretty great listen on its own right (a bit too repetitive and without enough range in material to me at times but then again, that's Kajiura biggest problem as talented as she is). It's also generally speaking pretty well animated (too bad Ume's adapted character designs have faces very prone for QUALITY, though as usual with SHAFT BD releases have been fixing things up) and the final two episodes are rather incredible looking, to say the least.

To say you can't find a single good thing about the series reveal the kind of buffoony, preconceived to max approach you use with everything in general and shows you come to show from very biased angle. I'm not the biggest Madoka fan on this board for sure (see my arguments with symbv in the past about merits of ending) but to deny the show doesn't have any virtues at all is stupid.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:First off, the hell is with the opening? The song itself is bleh, but the thing that has me is the "transformation" sequence in the beginning; it seems like it has pedo bait written all over it *shrivels*.


I rather really digged Connect in the OP lenght (though it does get a bit too repetitive and bland in full lenght, sadly enough...at least Kalafina's ED is awesome no matter what) and its wonderfully made sequence in general but I agree about that bit. It's rather unsettling and out of place instance of SHAFT's on your face loli fanservice that has always bothered me in the OP. One gets used to it but I still think it was a bad move. Madoka is no Nanoha and there's close to zero fanservice in series proper.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote: Next, Kyubey is supposed to be a guy, right? Why does he sound like a woman? Is he a cat version of Wendolo from SRW or something that grants wishes?


Why do you assume QB has a gender in the first place? Reason it's translated as "he" is because QB uses personal pronoun boku, which is a masculine variant but on its own it doesn't mean much. It just suits QB's character and, uhh, persona he projects.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:
Third, although I give them a point for creativity, the witch sequences are flat out nonsense and annoying; it's just random.


I love Inu Curry's animation and way it was used in the series more than anything else about it so I disagree, but obviously one's mileage can vary here. But I don't really see the "nonsense" and randomness in there. They're rather easy to follow and aren't random at all, there's huge amount of thought and symbolism (if one is willing to search for it) in all witch scenes. They're carefully thought out bits.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Fourth, way too much f**king talking



How on Earth do they dare to try to tell a story and assume all viewers aren't ADHD "action" junkies who go mad without their scheduled juvenile fix every fifth minute

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:, at least Macross series show off the main variable fighters by now, even Baldios didn't take this long for the title hero to appear! When does whatshername get her powers?


Stop forcing your ludicruous preconceived notions of relationships between series names and their contents on everything you watch. That show is called Puella Magi Madoka Magica doesn't mean she needs to become a puella magi at some specific time during the story.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Fifth, the main character is a crybaby, ugh.


Guilty as charged! It didn't bother me much but I can see why people don't like this thing.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote: Sixth, is the black haired transfer student good, bad, or an anti-hero or what? I seriously can't tell, they either imply too much or make things too vague.


Gee, maybe it isn't ment to be revealed just yet?

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:You people so owe me for this.


No. Stop placing responsibility for your own decisions on others in immature fashion. No one here owes you anything for watching Madoka. It was your choice


I honestly don't mind whether you like Madoka or not but bad complaints and obnoxiously biased attitude from the beginning are something I don't exactly appreciate.

Still, I'm interested in what you've got to say in the end.

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:If you want my frank opinion, I'd say stop spending time watching Madoka or posting about it and spend the time more productively finding anime that is to your taste. It would be a win on both sides if you did so.


and miss the fun of TDSA's hissyfits? Hell no!
ran1: Oh gosh this sentence gave me an internet boner. You're so tsundere.
Mugwump: Goddamn it, Xard! Take me in your arms, you magnificent sex god bastard!
And don't forget to wear the Ran mask.
Eva Yojimbo: You really are the Otaku equivalent of a Catholic and Jew rolled up into one giant dakimakura of guilt.
Gob Hobblin: Sanctimonious, subtly racist, vaguely misogynist, somehow says something while at the same time saying...nothing, really, at all....

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 4166
Joined: Feb 11, 2010
Gender: Male

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:01 pm

How on Earth do they dare to try to tell a story and assume all viewers aren't ADHD "action" junkies who go mad without their scheduled juvenile fix every fifth minute

First off I do NOT have ADHD or ADD or any other mental handicap of any sorts. Second, do you know an actual anime with action every five minutes? Because I've never seen one.
Stop forcing your ludicruous preconceived notions of relationships between series names and their contents on everything you watch.

Explain why.
That show is called Puella Magi Madoka Magica doesn't mean she needs to become a puella magi at some specific time during the story.

It kind of does because her name is IN THE TITLE. Not doing it as soon as possible is kind of deceptive and I dislike deceptive titles that fail to deliver.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

The Bastard King
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 1236
Joined: Nov 10, 2006
Location: Colby-Sawyer College
Gender: Male

Postby The Bastard King » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:26 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:It kind of does because her name is IN THE TITLE. Not doing it as soon as possible is kind of deceptive and I dislike deceptive titles that fail to deliver.


Image

How dare this book be different from how I judged the cover!

And there is no such thing as absolutes with regards to opinions. You probably did like one or two things you saw, but they were overwhelmed by your need to treat minor annoyances like travesties the like of which we haven't seen since the Vatican ruled Europe. Well, that, or you're simply to afraid to admit you liked it after coming off so strongly before about how the show sucked.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Randomanon
Ramiel
Ramiel
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 317
Joined: May 23, 2011

Postby Randomanon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:33 pm

So our usual 2ch insider has leaked the menu screens from BD 6. Not much to see but it appears the background will have all the magical girls, judging by Mami and Kyouko's silhouettes. Possibly with Madoka at the forefront? Hard to tell.
SPOILER: Show
ImageImage
Someone on 2ch claimed this is from a Windows 8 build...I thought they might be joking but then again, as I had previously posted before, Microsoft did use KitaEri for Claudia, complete with lines straight from the anime (not just Sayaka's lines either, she also says lines from other characters). And this is how an anime infiltrates into popular culture.... Vid on Window's Claudia - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd-fFxzH4U8

Image

More info on the Bandai figs - http://www.narinari.com/Nd/20110916313.html

ImageImage
Last edited by Randomanon on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl
User avatar
Posts: 5843
Joined: Apr 09, 2005
Location: 5th dimension

Postby Defectron » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:29 am

Besides, you guys might get a laugh out of me being tortured.


Image

What do you mean by "might"?

It kind of does because her name is IN THE TITLE. Not doing it as soon as possible is kind of deceptive and I dislike deceptive titles that fail to deliver.


Image

Oh boy! hahaha! This is going tobe good! In case you guys didn't notice I'm having the same sort of reaction I had right now to when I had gasmask stream Ai city on his channel, I like where this is going!
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Randomanon
Ramiel
Ramiel
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 317
Joined: May 23, 2011

Postby Randomanon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:41 am

Decorative Madoka iphone apps, 350 yen per app. http://www.biglobe.co.jp/press/2011/09/110916-1.html

Image

This Kyubey pen talks. http://www.goodsmile.info/product/ja/3289/

Write your wish and contract with me!

Image

Samples of the Decryption book. This is one I plan to purchase and scan:
SPOILER: Show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
symbv, I finally got around to posting the Mami twitter from Miyamoto on the wiki http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Tweets#New_ ... nformation

As well as the translation you did for the Kobe award from the news thread - http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Animation_Kobe_2011

Sayaka version of the OP:

Image

More Nendoroid play, featuring a heroic Sayaka:

Image

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 4166
Joined: Feb 11, 2010
Gender: Male

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:39 am

You probably did like one or two things you saw, but they were overwhelmed by your need to treat minor annoyances like travesties the like of which we haven't seen since the Vatican ruled Europe. Well, that, or you're simply to afraid to admit you liked it after coming off so strongly before about how the show sucked.

*watches ep 5* Hmm, nope, not finding anything I like, not even whatshername with the red hair. Five eps in and the main character STILL doesn't have powers? Ugh, can't wait until this is over, the stuff I do for my fans.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Merridian
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3349
Joined: Jun 24, 2009
Location: Merriland

Postby Merridian » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:04 am

^
SPOILER: Show
She never gets powers, none of the girls are heroes, everyone angsts over everything, all the little girls remain little girls and most of them die, and the "evil" mascot gets snubbed by an arbitrarily manifested god in the end. Don't expect a lot of dynamicism out of this show. It's basically if Camus dropped acid and rewrote Alice in Wonderland with William Burroughs, except not nearly as creatively written or as homoerotic as that might imply.


I'm finding more amusement out of the responses to your posts than to your posts this time.

The Bastard King
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 1236
Joined: Nov 10, 2006
Location: Colby-Sawyer College
Gender: Male

Postby The Bastard King » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:07 am

Treating the characters like you don't even know their names when you probably do, and overly exaggerated claims as to how painful this is to force yourself to watch. I was implying heavy sarcasm when I said you were acting this way to not let others suspect that you really like this show, but now I'm 20% more sure that this might actually be the case.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 4166
Joined: Feb 11, 2010
Gender: Male

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:09 pm

*watches ep 6* I seriously considered dropping this, but the twist with souls was interesting enough for this to last two more eps, maybe there might be something in this after all.
She never gets powers, none of the girls are heroes, everyone angsts over everything, all the little girls remain little girls

Which begs the question why do so many people like this? I could get a cult following or something, but serious mainstream? Really?
most of them die, and the "evil" mascot gets snubbed by an arbitrarily manifested god in the end.

That sounds entertaining.
It's basically if Camus dropped acid and rewrote Alice in Wonderland with William Burroughs, except not nearly as creatively written or as homoerotic as that might imply.

I don't even know who these Camus and Burroughs folks are.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Merridian
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3349
Joined: Jun 24, 2009
Location: Merriland

Postby Merridian » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:13 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Which begs the question why do so many people like this? I could get a cult following or something, but serious mainstream? Really?
Because it looks cool and the girls are kind of cute. And for some reason, grimdark sells.

Also, Kalafina.

CalicoCat
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 108
Joined: Jul 12, 2011
Location: Calico Towers, San Serriffe

Postby CalicoCat » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:20 pm

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:Someone on 2ch claimed this is from a Windows 8 build...I thought they might be joking but then again, as I had previously posted before, Microsoft did use KitaEri for Claudia, complete with lines straight from the anime (not just Sayaka's lines either, she also says lines from other characters). And this is how an anime infiltrates into popular culture.... Vid on Window's Claudia - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd-fFxzH4U8

English Win 8 builds get this:
SPOILER: Show
Image

I think it's unlikely that QB made it in if you switch your locale to Japanese, but you never know... (maybe Ballmer wished for the disappearance of Apple and Google, and this is the price he's having to pay...)
Do not throw souls!

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl
User avatar
Posts: 5843
Joined: Apr 09, 2005
Location: 5th dimension

Postby Defectron » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:50 pm

Five eps in and the main character STILL doesn't have powers?


Image

View Original PostMerridian wrote:^
SPOILER: Show
She never gets powers, none of the girls are heroes, everyone angsts over everything, all the little girls remain little girls and most of them die, and the "evil" mascot gets snubbed by an arbitrarily manifested god in the end. Don't expect a lot of dynamicism out of this show. It's basically if Camus dropped acid and rewrote Alice in Wonderland with William Burroughs, except not nearly as creatively written or as homoerotic as that might imply.


Dammit Merridian, its not as fun watching someone get kicked in the balls if they know its coming, regardless of whether all the spoilers are true or not.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

CalicoCat
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 108
Joined: Jul 12, 2011
Location: Calico Towers, San Serriffe

Postby CalicoCat » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:09 pm

White Screen of Death:
SPOILER: Show
Image

Well, I'm all for it.
Do not throw souls!

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades
User avatar
Age: 43
Posts: 4881
Joined: Feb 26, 2010
Location: Anywhere
Gender: Male

Re: To her credit, she brought up valid points. Bl

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:13 pm

Come Win8, once I get the hold of it, I imagine Sayaka talking to me. :lol:

(What a coincidence, in that case: the voice of the main character in Blood-C is Nana Mizuki, who also did work for Windows 7 as Nana Madobe; Eri Kitamura's debute role is in Blood+)

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Actually no, I'm quoting an Eva hater (whose "sans manhood"), though it wouldn't surprised me if the quote worked its way from Animesuki.


Didn't like reading reviews; they're terribly written and poorly thought of as if those wannabes want to show who's the most otakuest.

@TDSA:

:rofl:

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 4166
Joined: Feb 11, 2010
Gender: Male

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:38 am

And now I'm three quarters the way done, did this series come semi-watchable?
Because it looks cool and the girls are kind of cute.

Mixed animation and potential pedo-bait is all this has going for it? Really?
And for some reason, grimdark sells.

Oh, that explains some of it (I guess).
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 62
Posts: 20345
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:09 am

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:And now I'm three quarters the way done
Shit gets real starting episode 10.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"


Return to “Anime and Manga”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests