A couple Reiquarium pictures in more detail

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
someguy
Embryo

A couple Reiquarium pictures in more detail

•      
  •      

Postby someguy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:44 pm

I was looking through the Reiquarium article and noticed a few images had very sparse descriptions admitting most of the details of the photos weren't recognized. I decided to try using the difference blending mode in Photoshop to compare these images with the clean ones off of the Platinum DVDs and see if I could better tell what was going on (it turns out others have tried this but as far as I can tell I got a better read of what's going on in the picture).

The first image I checked was the "Lincoln" image (It's not Lincoln).
There are three men in this picture, in a semicircle. A bearded man's head is visible near the upper right of the image. Another man, wearing glasses, is about a third of the image to the left - his arm is extended towards a round object below the bearded man. A third man is shown in profile in the bottom left - he also has his arm (wristwatch visible) reaching under the bearded man's head.

The second image had an even more vague description of a man looking down.

There are four men in this picture, standing around a large piece of paper laid out flat. Their heads form a diagonal line starting just to the right of the upper left corner. Two of them have their hands resting on the paper. The rightmost man is most detailed, wearing a jacket, his arm extended towards the paper. There appears to be scaffolding in the background.
This image is almost certainly a photograph.

--

Hopefully this isn't old news that just hadn't made it to the article and I haven't wasted my time :P
<\-=/>

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:06 pm

I think the article was taken from this thread from ANF back in 2005: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=3782

Dunno if there's any more info in that thread.

someguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby someguy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:38 pm

Yeah, thanks, that was where I saw they used the difference effect. I skimmed that thread to see if anyone had better identified these pictures and didn't catch one but I could always have missed something
<\-=/>

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:47 pm

I can't seem to help but see something else in that second Reiquarium picture: http://i.imgur.com/SFOzA.gif

:|

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:50 pm

Thank you, that's the best result I've seen at enhancing these images.

Did you happen to try your luck with this one?:

[wikimg width=500:25k9od06]File:Tank image 22.jpg[/wikimg:25k9od06]

We were never able to make out any details at all.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:54 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:34 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:I can't seem to help but see something else in that second Reiquarium picture

ZOMG ITS Rei
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: A couple Reiquarium pictures in more detail

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:17 pm

View Original Postsomeguy wrote:Image

I'd bet that the guy second from the right is Anno.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

someguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby someguy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:04 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:You're definitely getting better results with your method.

thewayneiac wrote:Thank you, that's the best result I've seen at enhancing these images.

Thanks, both of you :) . I'm glad I went through the effort.

Could you at all possibly take a look at these two parts of the sequence? I found them to be the most interesting of the unexpanded upon / mysterious ones.

I also wanted to check those out. I actually already tried the first one, but I still can't make out any details. My guess is that it's rubble representing the damage caused by Second Impact. Anyway, here's the best I got.
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/tankimage22.png/]Image[/URL]
Is that a kneeling figure wearing a white shirt in the center foreground? I actually wondered if this was a file photo of postnuke Hiroshima or Nagasaki but didn't find a matching image skimming Google. The level of detail makes me think Photograph but I'm not sure.

I haven't tried the other one yet but I will later.
<\-=/>

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:20 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:19 am

Rei'S! Rei'S EVERYWHERE! :deadhead:
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

someguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby someguy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:18 am

Hmm, interesting theory, but I don't see Lilith or Adam in that picture. I do notice the objects that might be cranes. I feel like I'm on the verge of seeing it but not yet. I figured out an alternative way to blend the images which I used for this next image, but I will try it for that one tomorrow.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/827/23c317npc30bigb.png/]Image[/URL]
I believe this is a white blood cell (or t-cell) along the endothelium/artery wall, or maybe (and more appropriately I guess) an egg cell, although I'm no biologist so I could be way off.

The image with the overlay has horrible distortion artifacts in it. If you look very closely you can see where parts of the image have sheared. I'm not sure if this is a capture problem or the tank originally had a rippling water effect but the net result is it is physically impossible to align both images perfectly.
<\-=/>

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:58 am

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:48 am

Could it be a skyshot of a building? It looks like a science-y building, could be a lab building or something near the excavation site.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:17 am

No real improvement, more loss of detail.

Horizontal shift motion filter -> alpha, compensated by overlaying 6 different stills of the scene. Problem is, the overlay itself is moving vertically so it gets a little blurred.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:05 pm

I see a beautiful butterfly floating gently over a cheese grater wearing a sweater vest.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:47 pm

View Original Postsomeguy wrote:Image
This one has always been a frustrating Rorschach. In some versions, it looks like people standing in a ring certainly there are what look like 3 figures in the top left quadrant; and there's something -- a cart? a signpost? -- about halfway from centre to top right.

My two long-ago takes on this (hand-crafted Java apps to allow me to diff two images and slide them relative to each other)

using code from http://www.ravnaandtines.com/eva/ereiser.zip

using code from http://www.ravnaandtines.com/eva/ereiser2.zip
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:02 pm

Anyone still have a clip of this version...?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:23 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:31 pm

top right = cabin in the woods, snow on the ground.
bottom = one or more guys hunkered down behind a log fence (possibly a bridge over a shallow creekbed?), either hiding or examining something.
left = guy in combat gear using some sort of periscope to look across the scene from behind cover.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”