(Second) Evas vs. Angels Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:29 pm

Umm....Is that colored pencil? Crayon?

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:42 am

And here is where we hit the snags. Both AyrYntake and Combs have not replied to my last PMs, which indicate to me that at the least they will be late or, at worst, they've dropped out. I'll still keep the light on for them, but prepare to wait.

I am still quite grateful for all the work everyone has put into this Contest and I greatly admire your talents and your generosity with your time! Because of you all, we have quite a solid Contest in our hands!

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:07 pm

Through the fault of my own bad planning and various circumstances it appears I shall have to be at least slightly late for my presentation. Apologies to all those waiting and to Chowwow in particular. Will have it in ASAP. AyrYntake
:bow:
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Archaiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Archaiel » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:01 pm

View Original Posttehprognoob wrote:Umm....Is that colored pencil? Crayon?

Colored pencil my friend. It's my forte :] I could have put more effort into it but I had done like 6 drawings before to get everything right so I was pooped xD

It's all good. Waiting isn't bad, Chow and besides it's been a great pleasure to take part in these contests ^-^. Next year my entries shall be much better :] My next college semester starts Monday giving me plenty to do until then so waiting isn't an issue.
Avatar: Eva Unit 6.66 LCFL (My original design)

Participated in:
2011 - LDC & EvADC

Current Eva Projects:
-Tweaking Eva 6.66
-Weaving a Continuity

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:10 am

View Original PostAyrYntake wrote:Through the fault of my own bad planning and various circumstances it appears I shall have to be at least slightly late for my presentation. Apologies to all those waiting and to Chowwow in particular. Will have it in ASAP. AyrYntake
:bow:

Don't feel so bad; I've done a disservice to this Contest myself in the past. I'm glad you are making an effort to see this through. I'll just reschedule you to the latest Presentation.

As expected, Combs is AWOL. Damn, and he said that he was doing well with it last time I checked. Until he touches base with me again, I'm holding off on rescheduling him for now.

MillionsKnives, however, seems to be on track with his work. So...

Next time:
Image MillionsKnives

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Eva Unit-07 by MillionsKnives

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:45 am

The author would like for us to excuse him for the lateness of his entry. I'm just glad that he's here!

August 24:
Image MillionsKnives

MillionsKnives wrote:---------------------

Name and Title:
Design Plans for Evangelion Unit-07. A-Type Equipment (Aquatic type)

Pilot:
N/A. unit never built

Size Measurements:
Standard Eva Unit

Type & Background:
The original designs specs for Unit-07 were focused on underwater combat, which was seen as a very real eventuality. Unit-07 was specifically designed around the A-Type equipment prototype.

The plans were eventually shelved due to budget restrictions. While Unit-07 could operate on-land, it was decided an entire new unit was not needed for underwater combat. Instead the A-type equipment was designed to be fitted onto other Evangelions, with the shoulder mounts built for Units 02, 03 & 04. Why unit 02 was shipped to Japan in B-type equipment remains a mystery... well, to me at least.

Physical Description:
Body - Production design. This was water tight.
Head - A unique design for the units underwater role. The main addition was a 'gas mask' to allow the unit to breathe underwater. The head was designed to be dynamic at underwater movement, and unlike Unit-01 the space on unit-07s eyes on the helmet was covered by a transparent material, making the head water tight.

(I know its a debate if Evas need to breathe, while berserk they seem to, but then the next minute they're in space, so just bare with me on that for coolness sake :P. My original plan for the mask before I made the unit A-type was for it to be used to sedate the Eva, as they only seem to breathe while berserk as gas was maybe a way to knock em out. I also thought it'd look really cool going berserk and ripping the mask off.)

Propulsion:
Propulsion was to mainly be achieved via water jet engines housed on the Units shoulder pylons. Inside the mounted engine was a series of propellers of decreasing size. When spinning these would speed up and condense a great amount of water, which upon being ejected would propel the Eva. (I based this of Dyson hoovers >_>; no idea how applicable that is irl). The pylons are designed to extend away from the Eva, allowing the mounted jets to rotate, thus giving movement forward, backward, up and down.

As a supplement to these rotating water jet engines, two static engines were located on the Units legs. These were mainly designed to aid momentum straight ahead (in a missile fashion), but could also be used in various other ways when the legs were moved into other positions.

Turning was to be achieved via fans at the front on the pylons. These fans were mounted on moving rings, which allowed 360 degree movement. By using these at different angles and speeds the Eva could turn. (The best way I can describe this is akin to one of those large sphere devices you're strapped into, and then it can spin you around at a fast speed. I can't remember what they're called. But thats how the fans get 360 degree movement.)

For power the Unit ran off an Umbilical Cable. Should this be severed the backup supply could last one minute at the most, due to the enormous energy consumption of the engines. Even pylon mounted battery packs provided only 6 minutes operation while running the engines at normal speed.

Defenses/Regenerative abilities:
All abilities to be within expected norms.

Offenses, Combat skills and strategies:
Planned weaponry included a Harpoon. This mechanical device would allow the Unit to have a direct tie to the Angel. Either helping move the unit towards larger targets, or pull smaller Angels to the Eva. The plan was to reduce the need on always using the engines by keeping the Angel close, as even with the engines movement underwater was complicated, not to mention the power consumed by it.

Other weaponry included the standard Prog Knife and a Trident style lance.

Names of Designer and all contributors: Just me ;P

This thing would have been nice to have around to fight Gaghiel, but have we seen other aquatic Angels in the Contest?

In other news, AyrYntake has been moved to the end of the schedule list. Combs, due to inactivity in his account for a long time, has been removed from the roster until he gets back to me. For now:

Next time:
Image AyrYntake

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:13 am

what about swim bladders/ballasts and fins?
humanoid shape has shit hydrodynamics.what about swim bladders/ballasts and fins?
humanoid shape has shit hydrodynamics.

Also, how much pressure? Eva shapes will be squashed in deep enough water.

MillionsKnives
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MillionsKnives » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:36 pm

View Original Posttehprognoob wrote:what about swim bladders/ballasts and fins?
humanoid shape has shit hydrodynamics.what about swim bladders/ballasts and fins?

I did debate putting flippers on its feet etc, but decided it would look stupid and make for a slow transition from sea to land combat.

It has a human shape as that's the Eva standard :D the new Unit-05 from rebuild really annoys me... I think Evas should look like Evas!

As for pressure, I'd not even though of it... but since Unit-02 did ok in B-Type, I'm guessing it's not a problem. We can say for the sake of argument that the A-type armor is reinforced ;P
Last edited by MillionsKnives on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archaiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Archaiel » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:15 pm

View Original Posttehprognoob wrote:what about swim bladders/ballasts and fins?

Aren't we being a bit too critical? Besides Millions makes an excellent point, Eva 02 was fine when fighting Gaghiel. The only issue was the severe drop in mobility which this design is focused on changing. The angels always went towards Tokyo 3 where the water wasn't incredibly deep so the pressure scenario flies out the door. Technobabble doesn't seem important here

Very interesting Millions. I like your style.
Avatar: Eva Unit 6.66 LCFL (My original design)

Participated in:
2011 - LDC & EvADC

Current Eva Projects:
-Tweaking Eva 6.66
-Weaving a Continuity

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:43 pm

Sure, but Unit 02 just hung in the water. For an Eva to whiz around attacking things it needs a ballast to control buoyancy if it needs to dive or surface. This is why fish have them. I tend towards technicality, lol... :shinchair:

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:56 pm

View Original Posttehprognoob wrote:Sure, but Unit 02 just hung in the water. For an Eva to whiz around attacking things it needs a ballast to control buoyancy if it needs to dive or surface. This is why fish have them. I tend towards technicality, lol... :shinchair:

parts of the armor could be enlarge to accommodate ballast tanks
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Gamaliel: Angel of Time by AyrYntake

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:24 pm

I greatly apologize for the lateness of this post. AyrYntake completed his entry much earlier and labored intensely to do so. I, due to personal reasons, was not able to post it much earlier.

Anyone familiar with AyrYntake's entry from last year ought to be familiar with the style he brings back with his Presentation. Without further ado, here is our last Presentation!

August 26:
ImageAyrYntake

AyrYntake wrote:Name and Title: Gamaliel, Angel of Time

Size:
[SKELETAL MODEL PROVIDED FOR REFERENCE]
Class: B

Type:
Composite/Conglomerate Burrower

Characterization:
On the 13th of September, 2000, under the instructions of SEELE, the Katsuragi Expedition Team carried out the first Contact Experiment in which human DNA was to be inserted into the dormant Adam. Direct injection being out of the question due to the nature of the being and the AT Field present, the team instead opted to carry out the experiment using a parasitic vector--a “carrier” that would first take up the human DNA into itself, then be introduced into the host body, transfecting Adam with the human DNA.

Initially it seemed that all was going to plan: The human genetic material was transferred to the parasite which, sensing an enormous source of Adamic energy untapped, immediately proceeded to infect the first Angel. However, the host’s dormancy was short-lived. Sensing an outside threat in the form of a parasite, the Angelic system within Adam reacted--violently. The result was, as the world knows it, the “Second Impact” - a cataclysmic explosion that wiped out half the earth’s population and devastated the South Pole.

The result of the point-blank blast at the site of the experiment had profound effects on the organisms within the area. The human and angelic material, charred and immolated, was scattered across the newly-formed Antarctic Ocean. Yet in this seemingly sterile and insurvivable environment, something survived.
It was the parasitic vector that the team had brought with the for the purposes of the experiment. A robust, extremophile organism that thrived off any energy available (it was for this exact reason that it had been chosen to infect Adam with), its resilience was now its strength. Feeding off the angelic matter and taking into themselves the critical S2 Engine, various strains of parasite grew into thriving colonies of contaminated angelic matter until soon they were the only significant organisms for miles around...and naturally began to turn on each other for food. Whether in mutual attack or support, these colonies fused into each other much like the fusing of Adam with Gendo's hand, accruing matter to form a composite being of epic proportions. Gamaliel was born!
The battle, however, is far from over. Not only is Gamaliel's body ridden with warring parasitic colonies, his origins are also locked in eternal conflict: while the more powerful identity within him is Angelic in origin--Adamic, specifically--the ruling entity carries with it the longer memory of a Lilithic being, the parasitic vector that first made contact. The parasite hearkens back to a time when Adam lay bound and frozen in the earth, and Lilithic life reigned supreme over the face of the planet.
Gamaliel has thus spent the past fifteen years in conflict with himself as much as he is in conflict with the outside world. Now two deep and immeasurable energy signatures--Lilith and Adam--call out to Gamaliel's fractured and troubled soul, and he marches--staggers--wanders insatiably towards Tokyo-3, seeking but one end and no other: Resolution. To project a human emotion onto Gamaliel, he cannot wait for the ending of this tormented life and the beginning of the next.

Physical Appearance:
It is not known if Gamaliel is one body afflicted by a diverse plague of Angelic parasites, or if each component Angel plays a similar role with no clear-cut demarcation between parasite and host.
In Rebuild 2.0 we were told that “The analysis…extraction of the third Angel was so extensive, all that was left were some bones” (whatever can be made of what Kaji says anyway). All that remained of the captive, unnamed third Angel was a skeleton and a core, and yet it managed not only to break out of a world-class containment base but bring Unit 05 down with it as well.

At the time of appearance, Gamaliel is essentially in the process of becoming what the third Angel has turned into. Apart from a bulging head the rest of the body is withered and emaciated, and comprising little more than a tendril-covered skin draped over a framework of bones. Chunks of rotting flesh drop off the bulk from time to time, sending the ground below Gamaliel into decay as he moves along.

Looking at the outer form it is clear that Gamaliel's body comprises several very differently patterned spherical nodes. These are the various AT Field signatures of the parasitic colonies that plague this zombie Angel. Consistency of form and inconsistency of feature are perhaps a running theme in Gamaliel's design: the same tentacles and limbs protrude from spheres on one side of the body as from the opposite side, but on one side they are bright and shining like Adam's while on the other they are dark, monstrous, rotting and covered in slime.

Gamaliel's method of propulsion is similar to the molecular motor kinesin which "walks" along a tubulin strand inside a living cell. On the single leg the two "feet" (parts of a split wood-like colony) rotate in such a way that a constant, incessant forward march is achieved.

Abilities
Combat skills/strategies:
Faced with an immobilized Evangelion, for example, Gamaliel would not attempt to “infect” the Eva per se; rather, the parasitic swarm would probably attempt a wholesale takeover of the body, absorbing the Eva's PWM to deconstruct and remake in its own image. This katamari-style move works fine for an incapacitated foe--but how to defeat them in the first place?
Offensive/Defensive:
This is where the title "Angel of Time" comes in most appropriately. Be it through S2-powered enzymatic catalysis or a combination of AT Field magic and parasitic messing up of neural systems, Gamaliel's prime weapon is altering timescales and the perception thereof. At long distances this may only be perceptible as an enemy's slowed reaction speeds or movement; at close range this can become apparent precognition of enemy activity and high degrees of unpredictability in Gamaliel's attacks. At the point of physical contact Gamaliel has one more trick up his sleeve: anything that he touches immediately undergoes a severe bout of rapid aging. Flesh decays, metal corrodes, even solid rock can weather and crumble in a matter of seconds. Unlike most Angels, this combination of time-warping abilities makes Gamaliel best dealt with from afar.
Miscellaneous:
Naturally the arms tentacles will play a role in Gamaliel's offense, though perhaps not as significantly. Gamaliel's attempt in reaching the Geofront will not be by punching through layers and layers of reinforced armour, but rather by digging past it. The rapid weathering of soil and rock around him make burrowing a far faster option that it would be for most, and prevent the ranged attacks from Evas that so often prove devastating for an Angel. Gamaliel simply scoops loose soil and pebbles into the fleshy canopies above and below the head which instantly turn into dust and sand.
All in all, a tough guy to deal with, but only if you haven't dealt with the likes of him before.

Name:
I first came across the name Gamaliel Ratsey as the title of a highway robber in early England, and I've been looking into the name since then. It seems unique in that it shares both positive and negative connotations, and putting together an Angel that fits the name hasn't been easy! Here's what I've sourced from Wikipedia: "The Gamaliel are the Misshapen and polluted images that produce vile results."
"To Gamaliel, Lilith is attributed and is the grand lady of all demons."
(From [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qliphoth#Gamaliel[/url])
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamaliel_%28disambiguation%29[/url]:
'Gamaliel...is the Greek form of the Hebrew name meaning "God is my reward/recompense"'. Certainly this Angel seeks a reward, if only in the form of recompense.
Also check the page on Qliphoth:[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamaliel_%28Qliphoth%29[/url] The part on repressed sexuality seems to echo hauntingly with the Lilith/Adam theme.
The notion of there being "Qliphoth" in contrast to the holy "Sephiroth" was one I thought worth pursuing. Indeed you can see that Gamaliel's skeletal design was in part incorporated from a skewed mockery of the Tree of Life, with interconnections here and there.

Inspirations:
The Gravemind from the Halo series. Zombie-tentacle-badguy for the win. :tentacles:
GLaDOS from Portal 1 and 2: Yeah, she and her multiple cores definitely played a part.
The Qliphothic Tree, as detailed earlier.
Hmm...there was a Flash game called "Phage wars" I've been playing recently. Wonder if that clicked a switch in my mind somewhere?

Designed by:
ImageAyrYntake

Thanks a lot to all. Look forward to next week when we Judge our entries for Awards! Be sure to review and comment on our Entries in the mean time; our Designers live for them!

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:23 pm

Another Angel with a split personality, huh? I thought mine was the only one, lol. Guess the theory about there being a general theme every year is right.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:33 am

Well my votes are in, but apparently the others are a bit bogged down with RL. Have patience!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:00 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Well my votes are in, but apparently the others are a bit bogged down with RL. Have patience!

Indeed. While our other Judge needs a little more time to deliberate, I'll be cleaning up the Awards for this year. I've got more work to do, but until then, we have the conclusion of the LDC to look forward to.

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:44 pm

Aight, I've sent in my votes! I look forward to seeing how my fellow judge(s) voted and what results of our combined votes.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:20 pm

I expect anywhere we disagreed will result in a PM soon enough, so that I might better explain why you're wrong. Bah, such a nuisance though... I should just judge these all by myself from now on. It's far easier than competing and is way better at encouraging my nascent megalomaniacal tendencies. Dance, my puppets! Dance!

:worship:

:rei_hissyfit: :rei_hissyfit: :rei_hissyfit: :rei_hissyfit: :rei_hissyfit:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Daniel: The Angel Judged by God

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:17 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I expect anywhere we disagreed will result in a PM soon enough, so that I might better explain why you're wrong. Bah, such a nuisance though... I should just judge these all by myself from now on. It's far easier than competing and is way better at encouraging my nascent megalomaniacal tendencies. Dance, my puppets! Dance!

Now, now. We all know that being the final arbitrator is MY job in this Contest.

In other news, I have received all the votes. Awards will begin Saturday night. Until then, I would like to present another one of my own Angel Designs. It was written, if my records are correct, four years ago and I have had little opportunity to revamp it, so please excuse any writing eccentricities that you may find.

September 10
Image Chowwow

A long time ago I wrote:Daniel: The Angel Judged by God
Class: D
Type: Infiltrator/Infector, Shape-shifter
Height (human form): 6 feet
Weight (human form): 150 pounds

References:
The name is in loose reference to Daniel, as in the author of the book of Daniel.

Human form as played by Hollywood’s James Spader.

Rough anime incarnation played by Yukito Tsukishiro of Card Captor Sakura Fame.

True form of Daniel, played by Amoeba proteus as seen from INSIDE YOUR GUT.
Lol kidding, they live in fresh water…

Personality:
Daniel, at first seems to be a very friendly and warm: always polite and sometimes punctuating his words with smiles. Yet he is very business-oriented and is very focused - even single-minded - on the task at hand, even when there is no good reason for it other than because he was ordered to or had a sudden compulsion to do it (a nod towards his Angel heritage). Other than this, Daniel is fairly adjusted and happy with his simple life - and has no particular mental illness to speak of (unlike the rest of the cast of Evangelion). While some elements of aggression still remain, Daniel has become a very placid and peaceful individual: he wouldn't harm a fly - without reason.

While he may seem intelligent, he is still an Angel and thus his knowledge base is different from a human: while Daniel seems to have a very deep understanding of what we call a soul (which can seem convoluted even to one well-versed in modern philosophy).

Daniel seems to prefer a simple life, spending his days bothering with the nuisances of men and being with his lover, Sarah, rather than more ambitious goals like, say, resculpting the Earth to the way he ordains it to be. Indeed, his years of being with Sarah has neutered him and taught him to appreciate what he has on this Earth. He was neither very powerful nor very smart in the first place, yet human life had given him strength and a meaning to life when the compulsion to find Lilith yielded neither answers nor comfort. Ah, what marriage can do to a man...

Yet, because of his devotion to his life as a Lilim, he is also willing to defend it - fiercely and with his own life if he has to...

Description:
Actually an amoeba-like Angel, Daniel can divide, grow, change shape, and even bud off fragments of himself using his very malleable body mass. Think the T-1000 from the movie Terminator 2.

At the microscopic level, his body consists of amoeba-like cells. Each blob-like cell consists of a foggy, light blue cytoplasm (the fluid inside the cell) and the familiar red core in place of the nucleus. Because each cell has Daniel's core, each cell is like a microscopic Daniel and each hold all of his memories and behaviors. The cells are able to communicate with each other using a type of telepathic communication between the cores, allowing them to meld together and shape Daniel's body into larger forms or function as a single unit when separated over large physical distances. The cells can rapidly divide to produce more or replace Daniel cells for various uses. They can also act as brain cells/transistors: with more cells, Daniel can multitask and process information more quickly.

When zoomed out to regular size, the entire mass of cells (blue cytoplasm, red cores) look like a big purple blob.

For his human form, Daniel chose to make himself into a combination of all the things his human partner found appealing. He has brown hair that goes down to his ears and taper away, has foggy, light blue eyes and wears narrow-rimmed glasses. Like all anime characters (for some reason) he appears Caucasian. His face lean, youthful and somewhat pretty-boyish (though to be honest, it's been a while since one could fairly call James Spader a pretty boy). He usually has a calm and happy expression on his face (especially when around his mate), but has a serious and grave expression when dealing with matters of business (such as stopping Instrumentality before it begins).

Standing at 6 feet tall and at a healthy weight, Daniel is a tall man with medium-to-lanky-built features. While as an Angel he is a big purple blob of ooze, as a human he usually looks very brown because of his hair and preference of earthy-styled clothing, with his eyes as his only standout color. He is often seen wearing a business suit (even when not on business), corporate casual clothing, or (his best outfit yet) a long coat that covers down to his knees. For an Angel masquerading as a human, he dresses very stylishly.

Abilities:

Defenses: Daniel has very light defenses and is appears weak, but he is actually much more resilient than what he seems.

AT-Field: Light to Medium.
    There is nothing particularly special about his AT-Field: normally it is very weak and can be easily penetrated by another field or a human-scale projectile with sufficient kinetic energy. Daniel may concentrate to double the field's effective strength, but it is well below the threshold of the blows that an Eva may dish.

Armor: Pliable skin.
    Daniel does not have any hard armor to protect him in either of his forms; he is as soft as you or I. To his credit, though, because his body consists of squishy, malleable amoeba cells, most physical attacks simply pass though him or squish him, where he reforms soon afterward.

Regeneration:Variable Automatic Healing (minimum of 2 seconds)
    Damage from most attacks do not usually require regeneration, but when cells separate or if cellular damage is incurred, Daniel's cells divide to repair and replace the cells with great rapidity. However, unlike the healing abilities of most of his Angelic peers, Daniel's healing ability is not constant and is dependent on his "state of mind" and the amount of damage incurred.

Offenses: Daniel doesn't have many offensive abilities. Rather, he uses his infected hosts and the environment as his weapons.

Melee: Daniel learned Hapkido during his time as a human. This defensive style martial art is used to defend against attacks by humans, and has demonstrated great adeptness at the art. However, since he isn't Eva-sized nor an S-Class, it is completely useless against Angels and Evas.

Infection/Mind Control: A very elaborate ability, it is the heart of what makes Daniel so powerful in spite of his small size. By dividing and applying a few ounces of his biomass onto a mobile life form or an object with moving parts, he is able to take physical control of it using his mind. Things can be infected either by contact with Daniel himself or contact with another infected body. The host body he infects falls under his telepathic remote control, and he can maintain fluid, constant contact with it within a radius of several miles. When under his will, the host body essentially becomes part of Daniel, and is under his complete control.

Daniel is able to possess small animals and other lifeforms with weak souls and/or low sentience.

Oh look! A small animal!

Most unnerving is his ability to hijack an Eva that is devoid of an active pilot or soul. This is much like the same rule behind how Kaworu was able to commandeer Eva Unit-02 during his final hours. When hacking an Eva, his sync ratio is between 19 - 30%.

Like Iruel, the virus Angel, Daniel is also able to infect and repurpose electronic systems, machinery and computers using the same means of spreading his biomass like above examples. This way of infection is somewhat easier to perform since machines have no souls to overcome, though Daniel must be familiar with a device's operation before use.

In an environment where there is abundant human technology (say, NERV headquarters), this is a valuable tool: he can spread around and hack everything from computers (excluding the MAGI, because they are much too complicated for him to ever figure out), to motor vehicles (watch out for those go-carts, Shinji!), to manual and automatic doors, to security cameras, to even the lights. For the record, he cannot take over a power generator (like a nuclear reactor) because the energy to too dangerous for him. Daniel has a great amount of knowledge and experience with human technology, and uses this form of infection with reckless abandon.

Special Abilities:
While he is an primarily an infection-type Angel, Daniel possesses modest supernatural powers which grant the Angel access the future and beyond.

Prophetic: Daniel has a limited ability to see into the future. The time span of which he can see ranges from a few hours to a few years, but never too far away. The amount of detail varies, as some visions of the future are seen as flashes, while others are like 3 minute shorts. The relevance of the visions to Daniel also varies: some visions are about Instrumentality, some may be what happens after Third Impact, and some are about what happens in a T.V show being broadcast later that night.

An hour saved is an hour earned.

These visions also rarely occur at will, most seem to just happen. Finally, the visions have become less frequent since Daniel became directly involved with his human companion. In spite of these limits, Daniel's prophecies were helpful with his job - and seem to reveal more questions than answers, offering tantalizing hints as what is to come.

Judgment: Daniel possesses a superhuman ability of judging of character. By penetrating the AT-Field around a person's will, he can catch a glimpse of their soul and, based on what he sees, can pass judgment on that individual soul.

Daniel must spend time and trade dialog with the individual in question in order to wrap his senses around the individual. The rogue Angel has been getting progressively better at it as he continues to be in contact with humans; presently it has progressed to the point were it has become a part of his behavior.

Scenario:
Daniel's story begins when he awoke after Second Impact, near a household in the Sweden. Thus, he became one of the first Angels to emerge - the other being Kaworu/Tabris. However, he was too weak (and too early for the party), and spent his time fused with a tree in the backyard of the home he found himself in. There he found a girl named Sarah (very young at the time) and was curious of, and eventually attracted to, her personality and her way of life.

What started off as an activity to pass the time, became a creepy obsession, and then into a mature and devoted love over the years as both of them matured. Ten years after Second Impact, he finally resolved to enter her life by gathering the strength he had and molding himself into the man she would love - the result is the form we know him by.

Call it short-sightedness. Call it weakness. Call it lack of ambition. Call it fulfillment of a psychological need. Whatever it was, Daniel forgot/ignored his compulsion to find Lilith and to start Third Impact. He chose to protect her with his life, and devoted his powers in order to support her.

Daniel kept his past as enigmatic as reasonably possible to Sarah because, frankly, he did not know his past very well himself. He had no last name (taking Sarah's when they married), and when asked about his own family, he spoke in terms very vague and general. Some how this didn't seem to bother anyone too much, as at that point in time, no one made the connection that anything or anyone with a name that ended in -iel or rhymed with "Angel" was an Angel.

Through his wife's connections with friends and family, Daniel capitalized on his God-like powers of perception in the blue collar world: by rising through the ranks of property insurers and contractors of large corporations and government organizations. With such a job, the incognito Angel was free to determine accurate rates for clients and determining risks.

He was dead set on forgetting his goals as an Angel, even when his brethren emerged to pursue Third Impact. As the war between the Lilim and Angels heated up and the destruction grew, he realized that he could not stand by and watch the world that his wife was born in be destroyed.

Yet, he would not help the likes of NERV with their war, as he saw the Evas and how they operated as bad omens. Thus, against his own instincts, his own "family", his own legacy, he chose get rid of the means of initiating Third Impact: destroying the Evas, dispose of the Lance of Longinus, and disabling Lilith. Though a lowly D-class, even his powers would allow him to infiltrate NERV headquarters and use their own technologies against them.

His company was interested in insuring NERV for a long time, in the interest of supporting the organization and making a profit, but was unsure about it. Daniel, their best assessor, volunteered to check out the facility to see if it was worthy of their time. Always in need of money and support, NERV agreed to have the company survey the headquarters for a free estimate.

Daniel's plan was simple and decisive: upon his arrival, he would spread his cells along the machinery all over NERV - under the noses of its personnel and sensors. He planned on infecting as much as the facility itself and get as close as he could to the Evas. Hiding his presence until night fall, after he completed his assessment and leaving the building, before striking all at once. He would then infect the Evas and then use them to level the base, seal Lilith, and rid the world of the Lance.

As he was going about his duties, and covertly dropping a piece of himself in every computer and door he could find, the Angel met his would-be conquerors, the Eva pilots. He paid particular attention on Shinji, as he noticed a something strange about him. He held a few brief exchanges with Shinji while commenting on the facility's safety. Shinji, in turn, notice something odd about this man who was too awkwardly friendly.

When the day drew to a close, he left and waited for most of the personnel to leave - the fewer the opponents, the faster the operation. As soon it was quiet, Daniel activated his remote cells all at once: immediately he had control of over half of the headquarters. As he invited himself back to the facility, he took over security and several of the entrances and continued to spread along to infect the Evas.

Shinji just happened to be nearby, and upon hearing it was an Angel attack, was ordered by Misato to get to Unit-01 and secure the other Evas and kill the Angel. With her help, Shinji (after much whining and sighing, as usual) was able to use the low-tech air-ducts to reach the Eva cages.

Meanwhile, Daniel makes it to the cages and manages to infect Unit-00 and Unit-02, but realizes that he cannot interface with Unit-01. As a matter of fact, it turns out that Unit-01 is very resistant to infection and cheap mind-hacking techniques (as seen by the rejection of the Dummy Plug), a side effect of being a clone of Lilith and having Yui's strong soul within it. Daniel resolves to destroy it instead with his new dummies, until Shinji comes crashing down from the air ducts.

Shinji sees and immediately recognizes Daniel, and is in disbelief at the fact that he is apparently an Angel. Daniel offers a small apology, and tells him that he should retreat, because what he is doing would be better for the both of them. Shinji tries to enter Unit-01 - only to find that the entry plug has not been installed. Just as Daniel is about to break out of the cages, Shinji manages to get Unit-01 to move without him in it.

What ensues is a tense battle between Shinji and Daniel using only their mechanical marionettes with their mind connections: Daniel and two zombie Evas versus Shinji and Unit-01 using a method of control that Shinji never understood. Both parties climb on to, run and dodge on, and jump off from their mighty yet clumsy Evas while trying to position the other to be squashed.

The battle takes a severe toll on the nerve-wreaked Shinji, but manages to hold his own thanks to his Eva. Daniel, on the other hand, finds himself distracted as he is trying to hold off the rest of NERV from entering the cages while trying to use two Evas to stop Unit-01 and Shinji. He finds himself slowly losing control, particularly from Unit-02 which he is starting to lose interface with.

All the while, Daniel talks with Shinji and confronts him about the war with the Angels, NERV's place in it, and their own involvement in it. It is during this time that Daniel is able to see into Shinji's soul - and what the future has in store for him. Daniel comes to the realization that he is a part of a massive conspiracy, and that other forces held all the cards. He realized that if he continued to fight, he would be destroyed and all that he had done would be in vain. Yet, if there was one who had a chance at saving the world, stopping Third Impact, and saving his wife, that person was Shinji.

Thus, Daniel stops moving just long enough for Shinji to move Unit-01's mighty fist to crush him while atop a steel girder. Realizing what just happened, Shinji moves the arm away to reveal a fine, wet layer of purple ooze...

The next day, Shinji reports to headquarters to find Daniel at the scene surveying the damage. Shinji was the only person who knew Daniel was the Angel and he never told anyone about him. Surprised, he walks over to Daniel, who gives him a kind smile. Daniel tells Gendo and Fuyutsuki that in spite of the damage and inherent danger in their jobs, he would recommend that his company offer their services to NERV, saying: "For the task of saving the world, and all the things we hold dear, no price is too much to pay."

This strange development, seeing a man who hours before was wreaking havoc upon their fortress standing before him while others being oblivious to what had happened, raises a moral issue for our boy Shinji: "What price is too much for the truth?"
Last edited by Chowwow on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:28 am

happy(ish) ending?!
He's certainly an original Angel, taking a job as an insurance guy. The amoeba part is pretty useful, as demonstrated by the Kawuro-like death that didn't happen. Now we've another Angel who doesn't want Third Impact to happen!

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

2nd EvADC: Best Innovation, Design, Presentation

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:31 am

I apologize for the lateness of this presentation, as there was some tuning that was needed for this batch of Awards. Without further wait:

Now Presenting the Awards of the Second Evangelions versus Angels Design Contest!

Today's Awards refer to the creative aspects of each Design. These include Best Innovation, Design, and Presentation.

The Award for Best Innovation went to the Design with the most interesting features or abilities – be it in its design, how it fought, or its concept in general.

Our Eva winner is:

Image MillionsKnives with Evangelion Unit-07, Aquatic Type

A Judge wrote:On my first vote, I was quite intrigued by seeing an Eva with underwater capabilities the first time I read 07's entry, and continued readings solidified my vote here. Some of the other Evas had some nice innovation as well, but to have an Eva with functionality in places regular Evas can't tread, that is pretty dang innovative in my opinion.

The other Judge wrote:Little evas, melee evas, missile evas... none of these strike me as anything particularly new. A dedicated underwater eva, however, is an idea that's both undeveloped to the best of my knowledge and something that should have been obvious... a real facepalm moment.

Our Angel winner is:

ImageAyrYntake with Gamaliel: Angel of Time

A Judge for Gamaliel wrote:While this angel has an interesting combination of time and disease related abilities, but what takes it over the top for me in this category is the gestalt nature of it's composition, a very interesting twist on the split angel concept that I think has potential to be explored much further, sort of a little brother to the 'angel tower'.

A Judge for Artemisael wrote:My second vote goes to Artemisael, with its hunt-and stalk strategy and the capabilities of transforming its shape to be able to do so, as well as its somewhat advanced particle beam capabilities. Belial also had a very interesting an innovative design, with its ability to manipulate people and all, but in the end, my vote goes to our flying, transforming, hunting stick bird friend here.

The Award for Best Design was given for the one with the most artistically attractive/interesting/practical/etc. physical design. Attention was given to illustrations, text descriptions, et al.

Our Eva winner is:

Image Archaiel with Evangelion Unit 6.66 LCFL

A Judge for Unit 6.66 wrote:My first vote goes to Unit 6.66 for its lovely design, especially that marvelously crafted head it has. The whites, blues, and blacks that compose of its overall color scheme are well-balanced and in all of the right places. Plus, it's designed to be a brutal and capable fighter, with an AT-Field-powered sword and last resort claws to help it along.

The other Judge for Unit DD wrote:Despite being vaguelly creepy around the edges the design feels very vibrant and fresh, practically jumping off the page. The 3D rendering helps of course, but just as important is the very lively color palette.

(Adding)

6.66 LCFL had an interesting look as well, but the helmet design just doesn't work for me... it makes the head look comically tiny.

Our Angel winner is:

ImageAyrYntake with Gamaliel: Angel of Time

A Judge for Gamaliel wrote:Gamaliel, the parasite-turned angel, a massive, shabling beast whose own rot affected the very environment around it. While one could say it is a quirky design, I think it stands out well enough and has a dangrousness factor to be the best. Others come close, but I went on to picking him.

A Judge for Artemisael wrote:My first though was a dismissive "oh look, an Arael clone"... except that's exactly what this angel was going for, so job well done! While not the most detailed or colorful angel, it has a visual style that works to convey the sense of speed and fragility it carries, as well as having just enough variation to keep it from falling flat.

The Award for Best Presentation was given to the presentation that was executed in an attractive and enjoyable format. Attention was paid to format, grammar, and use of word play, illustrations etc.

Our Eva winner is:

Imagechazthesilencer with Evangelion Unit: DD

A Judge for Unit DD wrote:Lots of art, clearly labeled and attractively presented. The text is a bit short but again very clearly set out, not repetitive and easy to follow.

(Adding)

Honorable mention goes to eva-07, which is edged out because of the abuse of direct comments from the author rather than letting the entry stand on it's own.

The other Judge for Unit 05a wrote:First vote goes to 05a, for not only the presentation itself, but being the part of a larger, all-encompassing presentation that adds a sense of a complete story and a larger piece of lore. All of the contestants for the Eva category had something going for them, but this helped solidify my vote for sure.

Our Angel winner is:

Imagechazthesilencer with Huaddaheul: the Angel of Nourishment

Judge #1 wrote:As for the Angel vote, why the quirky Huaddaheul? Wonderful and amusing presentation with plenty of pictures to give visual aids of its battle, and the fact the Angel narrates nearly its whole presentation just really adds to everything and makes him stand out just enough from the rest.

Judge #2 wrote:Lots of pictures, with a variety of styles to serve both as effective illustrations and as a vital piece of understanding the mindset of the angel they portray. The minimal use of text was a ballsy choice.

Don't miss tomarrow where we Award the Designs for Best Character, Best Fighter and Quirkiest!

Return to “Fan Works”