The most disturbing moment in Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Zenithfleet
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zenithfleet » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:13 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Why would circumcision make him require lubricant?

MisatoRitsukoFan wrote:Instrumentality in general? Watching everybody die is not fun.

Some posts should not be read in consecutive order. :uhh:

On topic... oh, hell, is it even possible to choose a most disturbing moment? They turn up in EoE about every five seconds or so.

The DC eps held a few for me, because I was so familiar with the on-air versions by the time I saw them and thought I knew how scenes were supposed to go. Freaky!Armisael probably wins. Although that bit in 22' with Asuka and the little girl holding the toy bear probably also qualifies. "You're lying." *camera pans up* *hideous scream*

Mind you, the way Unit 02 struggles within Arael's light as though it's trying to fend off a rapist really got to me last time I watched the show. Brr.

Actually, I think the most disturbing thing of all is the true nature of the Evangelions. It's not really a 'moment', but anyway. Somehow, despite seeing the whole series many times, I'd persisted in thinking of them as robots that happen to have organic parts. It was only after discovering Eva-Geeks and reading what Reichu and others had to say that everything suddenly became far freakier. Now I can't even look at an Eva's boots without seeing a giant enslaved deformed humanoid superglued into extreme bondage gear. The entry plug is inserted into the spine for chrissakes...
Proud fan of the ADV TV dub.
And the on-air episodes.
And Magma Diver.

Sorry.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:37 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:People were more concerned about the fact that an eleven year old girl said cunt in Kick-Ass than the fact that she had just killed thirteen people with a frakking katana.
That comes down to the level of absurdism and abstraction. When we watch an 11-year old girl kill tons of people with swords it's so out-there that people accept it as fantasy/fiction, but when she says "cunt" that brings it down to the everyday level of language.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Rei Makes You Go Splat
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Rei Makes You Go Splat » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:23 pm

Naoko killing Rei I. I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I saw it.
Evangelion extends life. Evangelion expands consciousness.

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Six Winged Angel » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:49 pm

Asuka having a mental image of her own rotting corpse in the EoE "i dont want to die" scene

that freaked the hell out of me
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:18 pm

For me, it was Rei III unwrapping her bandages and squeezing the glasses, just because it made it clear that drastically that THIS ISN'T OUR Rei. Yeah, it was clear before that (Ritsuko finding the scorched corpse etc) but that scene still got me.

Rei III in her entirety. Just standing there when her arm falls off, coldly staring down at Kaworu who surrendered himself to his fate, simply saying "I want to die" to my face...(She's facing the camera when she says it and it creeped me out) She's like an empty zombie shell with a bit of a vengeful spirit in one corner of her being and some echo of her predecessors feelings for Shinji at the other, but it's just that, an Echo, you never know how 'real' it is, how far it reaches, you can never predict if she'll remain creepily passive or if she'll just stab you in the chest.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Simply put: Most of EOE.

Guilt & Innocence
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Guilt & Innocence » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:29 am

Third Impact in EoE, Kom Susser tod is Permanently burned into my mind, and I will never look at orange juice the same way again
Will the darkness in their hearts be purified?
"Rawr *Chomp Chomp* RawR *Chomp* *swallow*" - Yui Ikari

"Let's analyze this, if I were to run away, where the fuck would I go?" - Shinji Ikari Gag dub

flapjack
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby flapjack » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:24 pm

the JSSDF missile tearing a hole into the truck surrounded by nerv guards, THEN exploding. Gets me every time.

sbtekno
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sbtekno » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:36 pm

View Original Postcomicguy81 wrote:This.
http://evacommentary.org/episode-m26/m26_C461A_big.jpg

Abso-freaking-lutely. IT HAUNTS ME. I kid you not.
I steal jokes. DEAL WITH IT.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:44 am

Ive got a friend who has had little exposure to anime whos working her way through the platinum collection at the moment. I leant her Vol 4 and 5 last week so she'll be just starting on the Descent Arc so ill report back with the nightmare fuel by proxy as I hear about it.

I want to watch EoE with her just to see the reactions to the calvalcade of mindfuckery.

Abso-freaking-lutely. IT HAUNTS ME. I kid you not.

Testify. Between that and the corpse-flash. Brrrr.

Erizo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Erizo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:01 am

View Original Postcomicguy81 wrote:This.
http://evacommentary.org/episode-m26/m26_C461A_big.jpg

That scene creeps me out as much as it astounds me. I would love to see that in a live action film, even more so in person. I don't know why, I have always been attracted and intrigued by post-apocalyptic dark red skies, while the giant half-head seems like a celestial world wonder that is so large, it stays in place even if you travel miles back and forth. I'd be like WHOA.
Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:05 am

But on the flip side the shot of the GNR head coming into land and causing a big explosion/tsunami is kinda funny.

Surprised the dub didnt add a big *splat* or *ba-doiiiing* noise for it.

Light
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Light » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:54 am

I'd say the fight between Unit 01 and Unit 03. I recall laughing throughout the thing in my first watch, for some reason.

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:17 pm

^HORRIBLE PERSON.

Most of End of Evangelion. Specially the ending.

I totally missed this btw:
SPOILER: Show
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:15 pm

View Original PostLight wrote:I'd say the fight between Unit 01 and Unit 03. I recall laughing throughout the thing in my first watch, for some reason.

I actually did the same thing. Why is that? I can hardly see anything funny about the whole thing... :rei_meh:

SaVaGe
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby SaVaGe » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:41 pm

View Original PostSomeone wrote:^HORRIBLE PERSON.

Most of End of Evangelion. Specially the ending.

Really? For some reason I found the enviornment in the ending absolutely breath taking.

If I had to choose I'd say either the tangification of everybody, or the odd pleasure the MP Evas get while peircing themselves.

ALSO, the Seele foot soldiers massacring absolutely everybody.
I'm SaVaGe and I am an Evaholic

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:04 pm

For me, it's either the orgasmic pleasure the MP Eva's had from stabbing themselves in the core, or when Asuka was wrecked by said MP Eva's.

Or maybe when we first see Unit-01's human-like eye and killer smile, when everything else on its face is wrapped in bandages.

Or the soul-less, smiling clone!Reis. They were disturbing no matter what scene they were in, whether it was when they were first shown or when they were disintegrating.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:00 pm

I didn't find anything disturbing.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:19 am

View Original PostJayfive wrote:But on the flip side the shot of the GNR head coming into land and causing a big explosion/tsunami is kinda funny.

Surprised the dub didnt add a big *splat* or *ba-doiiiing* noise for it.

In response to this scene:
Commentary of Controversy wrote: Ow.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:15 am

View Original PostTankred wrote:I didn't find anything disturbing.

THEN WHY ARE YOU ON THIS FORUM?!
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”