[LAEM] What would Tim Burton do with Evangelion?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:03 am

Tim Burton would be awful for ELAM. He'd probably do the same thing to it that he did to Batman (mess it up). Burton is okay when he's doing something original, but when he tries to adapt it usually goes pretty bad. Keep him away from Evangelion!

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Mundane » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:32 pm

Timstuff wrote:Tim Burton would be awful for ELAM. He'd probably do the same thing to it that he did to Batman (mess it up). Burton is okay when he's doing something original, but when he tries to adapt it usually goes pretty bad. Keep him away from Evangelion!

Nobody has done an excellent Batman, I don't think that's a fair assessment :( .
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:41 pm

Timstuff wrote:Tim Burton would be awful for ELAM. He'd probably do the same thing to it that he did to Batman (mess it up). Burton is okay when he's doing something original, but when he tries to adapt it usually goes pretty bad. Keep him away from Evangelion!

Tim Burton's Batman is my favorite Batman movie. Not that I don't agree with you about LAEM.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:23 pm

Mundane wrote:

Nobody has done an excellent Batman, I don't think that's a fair assessment :( .

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt at assume that you somehow have managed not to hear of this movie.

And if you just plain failed to see how excellent it was, then I offer my most sincere condolences.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Mundane » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:46 pm

Qui-gon Jin was in it.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

Postby master0rolando » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:00 am

[URL=http://serv1.imagehigh.com/view.php?id=3747303_sign_INCORRECT.jpg&path=/imgss]Image[/URL]

Perhaps Tim Burton wouldnt be the best for Eva...theyre may be a better one for it...i cant think of besides Peter Jackson...but if he were assigned to Eva...i wouldnt be upset...and he did a pretty cool job with Batman...sure it was a little odd compared to the comic...but those Batman movies were hella nice...

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:09 am

Also, I'm not convinced that he can handle the intimate, small-scale moments between characters that will be necessary.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:31 am

Timstuff wrote:Also, I'm not convinced that he can handle the intimate, small-scale moments between characters that will be necessary.

You mean the silences, avoidances, wild outbursts, and otherwise normal conversational moments that occur in almost all films with sound?

_get some help

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:42 am

Anyone can handle character moments, but to make believable character drama that people will give a crap about takes a lot of skill. I think it'd be wiser to get a director with firm roots and drama and the capacity to experiment with Sci-Fi than it would be to get a Sci-Fi director and hope that they can pull off the drama. Evangelion is more about the drama between characters than it is about kajus and acid trips, and I think that the priority should be to find someone who can do that. Richard Taylor and his buddies at Weta obviously will have the sci-fi element taken care of, so it's all about finding a director who can mix with that nicely and still handle the dramatic elements.

Winslow Leach
Adam

Postby Winslow Leach » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:26 am

Eh, Burton's a very good director when he wants to be, but yeah, when adaptating other people's work, with the exception of Big Fish, he usually fails. Planet of the Apes was an abomination. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory sucked. His Batman films were both messes, fun messes, but messes with little to do with the comic books nonetheless. His career's pretty much over as far as I'm concerned, though I was really looking forward to his Believe It Or Not film, which unfortunately they canned.

Tim Burton is highly visual, but I don't think his visual style would suit Eva all that well. For Evangelion, we need someone more like Alfonso Cuaron, Peter Jackson, Ridley Scott or someone Japanese, like Shinji Higuchi.

Crusaious27
Embryo

Postby Crusaious27 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:39 am

Let's make Evangelion a new scene kids' trend! :D

... Tim Burton would be a TERRIBLE choice.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:33 pm

Crusaious27 wrote:Let's make Evangelion a new scene kids' trend! :D

The hell did you just say?

_get some help

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:54 pm

Crusaious27 wrote:Let's make Evangelion a new scene kids' trend! :D

All my fears at once.

NO to Peter Jackson. NO NO NO! I love Lord of the Rings, both book and movie, but he'd do something stupid again, like in the directors cut, theres Viggo, John-Rhys Davies, and Orlando, running from AN AVALANCH OF SKULLS OH EM GEE!
King Kong? barf.
Weta? yay! if you saw anything of the lotr commentaries you would know just how much effort they put into staying true to a story.

Nicole Kidman as Ritsuko works, Fuyutski and Keel could be played by any number of people already mentioned, but for Keel, I'm thinking Christopher Lee.

For director I'm thinking maybe Ridley Scott? I heard rumors he was going to direct the halo movie, but, alas, no longer.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Shnooks » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:58 pm

Is it definate if Peter Jackson is doing it? I've been behind the times a bit.

Either way - most of his movies are incredibly long and boring. I fell asleep during King Kong IN THE MOVIE THEATRE, and LoTR was hell to sit through. I cant imagine what he'll do to Eva. Something probably along the lines of a 5 hour movie with a lot of running and mindless, stupid drivel.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:21 am

Shnooks wrote:Is it definate if Peter Jackson is doing it? I've been behind the times a bit.

No, and I don't blame you for falling behind. It's the film that's been falling behind you.

_get some help

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

Postby master0rolando » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:38 am

in Russia ...behind falls on you...

but seriously i think they said it wont be Jackson
Last edited by master0rolando on Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:50 am

They haven't really said anything about who it will or won't be in the terms of actually names. They just said a couple big name directors (those were their words so take it as is) were interested and that was all.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:14 pm

There's supposed to be a big announcement this fall, though I don't remember how this is tied to disclosing a director. Anyway, it's September, so they've only got a couple of months.

_get some help

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby zeaven » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:24 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:There's supposed to be a big announcement this fall, though I don't remember how this is tied to disclosing a director. Anyway, it's September, so they've only got a couple of months.

Is there a source for this information?

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:29 pm

zeaven wrote:
Hexon.Arq wrote:There's supposed to be a big announcement this fall, though I don't remember how this is tied to disclosing a director. Anyway, it's September, so they've only got a couple of months.

Is there a source for this information?

Yes. Look for it.

_get some help

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”