[LAEM] What about Christophe Gans?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

What about Christophe Gans?

Postby AuthenticM » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:40 am

If you've seen any of his movies (most notably 'Le Pacte des Loups'), then you know it would be pretty interesting to see him direct Evangelion. He is also the one who directed Silent Hill (the best video-game adaptation ever). If Evangelion is about character development and interactions, then he'd be well suited for EVA. He also has a distinct visual style that would recreate well the 'atmosphere' of the anime. What do you guys think?
Last edited by AuthenticM on Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Mundane » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:42 am

Silent Hill was NOWHERE, absolutely NOWHERE close to the video-game plot.

Although I'll give it to you, it was the greatest video-game adaptation thus far.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby AuthenticM » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:46 am

Mundane wrote:Silent Hill was NOWHERE, absolutely NOWHERE close to the video-game plot.

I never said that, neither did he. He didn't want to translate the first game into a movie; he has taken elements from each game and has come up with something original, something that very well deserves the title 'Silent Hill'. And he has succeeded very well, I must say. But that's besides the topic at hand...
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Mundane » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:51 am

I need the video of Girr touching that hippies face and saying "I like you...".

:!:

Aside from that, it was an excellent adaptation. Except Pyramid-Head was in number two. God that was brutal, you remember the thing with the red-head?

Anyway, I'd give him a shot. Just don't "originalize" anything, leave it as it is. A girl with her arms lit on fire and twisting her head, that's not original, that's cool as hell.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby zeaven » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:13 am

Is it one of those horror movies that uses unnaturally sped up movement and darkness and quick cuts and crazy unnatural metallic sounds to achieve a creepy effect? If so, I don't think it suits Evangelion.

Of course, I've never even heard of this guy.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Postby jcmoorehead » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:15 am

Mundane wrote:I need the video of Girr touching that hippies face and saying "I like you...".

:!:

Aside from that, it was an excellent adaptation. Except Pyramid-Head was in number two. God that was brutal, you remember the thing with the red-head?

Yeah, Pyramid Head being in the film was only fan service really because it's probably the most popular SH Monster. Silent Hill was an awesome film though.

I havn't seen any of this guys other films apart from Silent Hill so I wouldn't really know how he'd do for Eva.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Kaysow » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:28 am

He's okay, generally. Not very emotional. Silent Hill was awesome, tho.

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby AuthenticM » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:21 pm

Guys, do yourself a favor and watch 'Le Pacte des Loups' ('Brotherhood of the Wolf', in english). [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christophe_Gans[/url]

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:31 pm

Silent Hill, while an attractive film to behold with a decent premise, was hampered by some of the most inexcusably bad acting I've seen in a Hollywood motion picture in quite a while. (Of course, being both an American horror film and a videogame adaptation, I typically avoid those movies where I can, so this fault might be typical of either genre.) Most of the dialogue was flat and uninvolving; the requisite, uncolored, bare-bones banter you'd normally see in a game to get you from point A to point B. Rose's evolution into a heroine was, for the most part, sudden and inexplicable. "It'll be alright." With what authority do you offer this assurance, woman? What have you learned in your adventure, other than running and sneaking around?

I don't know what it is that people seem to love about this movie, but if Evangelion shared anything in common with it other than perhaps the gothic novelty found in seeing a bedridden child tear a woman in half, I would cast its writers into the sea.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:56 pm

For me, it's more important to get a director who can get the acting right than one who has experience with sci-fi and special effects stuff. Richard Taylor will probably be a producer and I'm sure that he and Weta will have the effects and visuals side of the movie taken care of, so what they need is a director who can get good performances out of the actors.

Christopher Nolan didn't have much experience with action or special effects prior to Batman Begins, but he was good at working with his actors and getting inside characters' heads, and Begins turned out to be an excellent movie. I think the expectations for Evangelion's director should be similar-- someone who delivers solid character drama.

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

Postby master0rolando » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:38 pm

Silent Hill was cool.... i think it was very well done as far as bringing the silent hill world to life...

the only problem i had with it was the storyline

it wouldve been a good storyline for another Silent Hill game...(i honestly think they should make a game corresponding to the movie)

but its not good for a 2 hour movie...not enough time

other than that, Silent Hill was cool

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”