Fanime 2011: Seiji Mizushima Interview

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

Fanime 2011: Seiji Mizushima Interview

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:38 pm

http://www.ani.me/zine/home/article/1052/

Ani.me: It’s hard to explain, but many American fans have a very strong attachment to the series, and just being involved to a lot of people was a big thing, and when you think of Evangelion today, and your involvement of it, what comes to mind?

(Pause to clarify translation)

Ani.me: (Re-statement) When you think of Evangelion today and what it’s become in society, what comes to your personal mind?

Seiji Mizushima: I’m super happy that it’s still popular, I’m very good friends with Hideaki Anno, the series director. I think he’s a very unique director, have a lot of respect for him, and I feel, even if it was just one episode [episode 9], that if I didn’t work on that series I probably wouldn’t have gotten the amount of attention from other projects later on and I feel that it was kind of a turning point in my career that really kicked it into high gear, really made me a known face in the industry.

Ani.me: Do you feel that you’re involvement with it makes you a part of animation history?

Seiji Mizushima: Me?! I’m not quite sure if I can say that I feel that I’m part of the history, because I only directed one episode. Now that I’m a series director I have other projects I need to focus on, but I sometimes feel that I can go out and scream “I was a staff member on the Eva team!”, and sometimes I can let that be known.

The FMA questions were particularly interesting.

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”