The Next Generation of Gaming

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

The Next Generation of Gaming

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:21 pm

I want to hear people's thoughts on the next generation of gaming.

With the XBOX 360, PS3, and Wii, I've just become completely apathetic to the next generation of games. I don't like what I'm seeing, I don't like the prices, and I just want to flip off the entire gaming industry, and play old NES ROMs all day.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:33 pm

Well I was gonna go for a PS3, then I saw the nice high price and the games and opted for a 360 instead. Mainly because it has the games that appeal to me more. I love my 360 so far though its a really good console and is everything I hoped for in a next gen machine.

The prices don't bother me too much although I'd prefer the games to be a bit cheaper. Certain games don't warrent the prices (See sports games or racing games) some games do (See: Oblivion) but they'll come down eventually.

I'd love to see some old games converted for the 360 though, i'm hoping they go for the old Amiga games, i'd love to be able to play Superfrog again :D

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Re: The Next Generation of Gaming

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:40 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:With the XBOX 360, PS3, and Wii, I've just become completely apathetic to the next generation of games. I don't like what I'm seeing, I don't like the prices, and I just want to flip off the entire gaming industry, and play old NES ROMs all day.

I miss the old good days.. :cry:

The Eva Monkey wrote:I want to hear people's thoughts on the next generation of gaming.

I think it kinda sucks --about price mainly!!-- but still i'm gonna buy some of the upcoming games! --FFXIII, RE5, SH5, KH2--
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:42 pm

I just can't be bothered. If I want to play video games, there are countless classics for the consoles I already have that I've yet to play.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:47 pm

The Wii is pretty cheap, for $250 or something right? For me, $250 plus the $70 or so is something I'd pay just to play twilight princess.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:58 pm

I'm sufficiently old, that when I think of the "next generation of gaming" I think about systems that will make the verisimilitude of Space/Time as flexible as Hero and easy as OD&D. And that what we will get instead is 4th edition D&D in about 3-4 years time.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Re: The Next Generation of Gaming

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:02 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I I just want to flip off the entire gaming industry, and play old NES ROMs all day.

I want an old NES just so I can play Chrono Trigger again. I miss that game.

As for the other systems, I will probably get a PS3 after it has been out for a year or so. That way most of the bugs will be out of it and it should be down in price. Currently there are no games out there that I am interested in so I don't plan on buying any for quite awhile.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Rahaquiel-2D1S
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Rahaquiel-2D1S » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:12 pm

The Wii can download old NES/SNES/N64/Sega Genesis/Turbografix 16 games via WiFi, IIRC.
Haunted dolls? If Rozen Maiden ever taught us anything it would be to look under it's dress.

<No animated GIF in sig, please. -Admin>

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:52 pm

I got a 360 for damn cheap from a friend, and really there isn't a whole lot that the PS3 or the Wii offered that I wanted. I mean, the new FF looks nice, but that's about it, while the 360 had a load of stuff I wanted, like GRAW, PDZ, Oblivion, CoD2 and there's loads I'm looking forward to like Mass Effect, Gears of War and Lost Planet.

And Halo 3, of course.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Rahaquiel-2D1S
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Rahaquiel-2D1S » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:10 pm

When it comes to chosing a console, it's what YOU want, not what the gaming company fapboys want.
Haunted dolls? If Rozen Maiden ever taught us anything it would be to look under it's dress.

<No animated GIF in sig, please. -Admin>

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:15 pm

It's the Sequelstation3 the Mario WII! or the Halo360.

Take your pick.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

toReason
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby toReason » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:58 am

I haven't really given much thought to the latest generation, since getting my DS, I've hardly played anything else apar from my ps2, which still has some great games coming out for it.
I think I'll be stuck where I am for awhile yet.
Or atleast until MGS 4 is released.
*TBA*

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:01 am

Rahaquiel-2D1S wrote:The Wii can download old NES/SNES/N64/Sega Genesis/Turbografix 16 games via WiFi, IIRC.

[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

i dont know about you guys....

But seriously....

I want me some Super Smash Bros. Brawl...Snake is in it....looks like Sonic isnt...and i am PISSED...Sonic betta be an unlockable in that game or i will shove that skinny, goofy lookin controller up somebodies ass...

What else..... Twilight Princess.....it was supposed to be out in freaking March...but no....theyre releasing a Wii and a Cube version when Wii comes out....those sluts know i want that game like a fine woman...and they playin me like a bitch with it....

also... I will get a PS3 JUST for Metal Gear Solid 4...not even joking....i CANNOT wait for that game

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:18 am

Definately not buying any of them for a few years at least. I already have Xenosaga Episode III, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy III: DS, Final Fantasy V: Advance and Final Fantasy VI: Advance to buy in the near future. Combine those with all the ROMs/PSX images I've downloaded I have enough to keep me going until the PS9.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:28 am

Looks like I am the only one so far that is getting a PS3.

I have a PS and PS2 ( by the way my PS2 has survived 6 years without any problems *touches wood*) library of games, plus I dont want to trade them because EB rip you off. From what I heard some games are going to look slightly better ( a bit sharper eg one of the lastest ign reports) on the PS3 than the XBOX360.

I really never have liked microsoft and I compare them to the Umbrella corporation from Resident Evil. Plus I dislike the feel of the stiff buttons. Most of the games on the XBOX360 dont look that much next gen to me to be honest. Plus Microsoft and Nintendo are stealing the Eyetoy idea ( take that 360 fanboys)

Just to point out to XBOX fans that if you take the premium pack + wireless kit + HD-DVD Add-on it is alreasy more expensive than the PS3 ( according the prices here in Aus) and thats not including the online price. So say what you will about price but just realise that you are essentially paying more with all the add-ons.

Just a side note thou- has anyone seen the HD-DVD addon???? Its huge and I am being serious. Add that on with the power supply and the actual console its self and you have something thats bigger than than the PS3.

I respect all gamers whether they be 360, Wii or Sony gamers. I just dont see why everyone is making such aa big fuss about Sony.

Anyways, I am really looking forward to TGS 06 ( Toyko Game Show 2006) because at the event they will have 27 Ps3 playable demo's ( different one) of the up coming games. So that means a lot of in game footage and gameplay footage :D
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:22 am

Alright, could someone explain me what is Wii? It hasn't made its way on Greece yet!
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

toReason
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby toReason » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:37 am

The Wii is Nintendo's new console. It used to be called the Revolution.
The main thing to note is its controller. It is a motion sensor which, if the hype is to be believed, will allow you to have (for example) sword fights whilst swinging the controller around.
*TBA*

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:11 am

The controller

The console

http://www.britishgaming.co.uk/wp-content/wallpapers/wii.jpg
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:13 am

But it requires a TV right? I mean the console, it's not like PSP?

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:11 pm

the_seventh_child wrote:But it requires a TV right? I mean the console, it's not like PSP?

It requires a Tv

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”