The Evangelion Artbooks

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Darius
Lilith

The Evangelion Artbooks

•      
  •      

Postby Darius » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:05 pm

The ones i'm talking about are like Der Mond (I'm not worried about this one...i pre-ordered it), Die Sterne, Neon Genesis Evangelion Artbook Photofile 01: Eve, Neon Genesis Evangelion Artbook Photofile 02: Adam, Groundwork of Evangelion (it says V1 on it..so im gona assume theres more to come of that particular book), and I think somehting with the cover talking about Kaji (I know it has his whole name on it..) ..I can't find it anymore...

Basically, I just want to know if all of the books (other than Der Mond) are available in english or if they're ever gonna be in english (like on amazon.ca Die Stern is french and on amazon.com its in Japanese..I said this on another thread somehwere..lol) and I suppose thats it..If I missed any artbooks (Which I know I did..lol), this threads ere to talk about the artbooks in general....and I'm just asking about them in my post thus far.

Right, so here are links for all the books I mentioned (they're gonna be Amazon.com links..since most people on the forums are from the States)

Der Mond

Die Sterne

Neon Genesis Evangelion Artbook Photofile 01: Eve

Neon Genesis Evangelion Artbook Photofile 02: Adam

Groundwork of Evangelion

So yes, thanks in advance =)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:44 pm

Der Mond is the only Evangelion book outside of the Manga to receive a North American release. The only other book "in English" is 2015 // The Last Year of Ryohji Kaji which is completely bilingual.

Der Mond is a nice book, I look forward to the second edition of that.

Die Sterne is a nice book too, although I wish that they didn't pack so many illustration in. They focused on quantity a bit more than quality, so some illustrations are tiny. But there are still some nice illustrations that you just can't find on the internet still.

Adam and Eve are nothing more than screenshots from the show. They're not very satisfying. I don't recommend them at all.

The Groundworks are interesting, but I don't recommend them very highly. They're basically just the key frames of animation prior to being painted and inked. If you like to draw, these are right up your alley. But otherwise, they're not very satisfying. I bought volume 2 years ago, and I never went back and bought 1,3, or either of the two movie groundworks.

2015 // The Last Year of Ryohji Kaji is a limited edition Japanese/English collection or notes and photography by Ryohji Kaji. Having been written by one of the series' writers, it can be considered canonical, even if it doesn't really offer many new insights. It's a must have for any Evangelion collector. Perhaps one of the most gorgeous Evangelion books to flip through. It makes the art student in me go "Squee!".

Even though the page needs to be updated, I have or am very knowledgeable of all of the books on the books page of the site. If you have questions pertaining to any of these books beyond the descriptions on the site, I'm happy to fill in the blanks.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:50 pm

2015 // The Last Year of Ryohji Kaji is a limited edition Japanese/English collection or notes and photography by Ryohji Kaji. Having been written by one of the series' writers, it can be considered canonical, even if it doesn't really offer many new insights. It's a must have for any Evangelion collector. Perhaps one of the most gorgeous Evangelion books to flip through. It makes the art student in me go "Squee!".

I've heard rumors that the commiteemen's names and positions are revealed in taht book? But damn I've grown attached to the fanon names they've been given.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Darius
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Darius » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback! So, do you know of any site that sells 2015 // The Last Year of Ryohji Kaji? I remember seeing it on amazon...then I tried the search with the exact words on it after reading your post..and nothing turned out dammit...

And (not that this matters) I posted these specific names because these were the ones that I saw on amazon lol.

Now, for Die Sterne..I guess i'll wait for a possible release in north America..and if not...i'll just stick to Reichu's page about it...But I think i'm quickly getting the urge to collect all this Eva stuff (I dunno but...this urge was recent..) So yes, I wish to collect as much as possible...but mainly good stuff like books and "some" (keyword..lol) models.

thanks again, and if I do have any other questions, i'll be sure to ask.

EDIT: Turns out that after going on the Tribalbeing forums by searching for the Kaji book on google..and then clicking on the firs link in your post...my memory returned...Turns out that it was here. not amazon, that I learned of the book..lol...But dammit, I want it!
Last edited by Darius on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:21 pm

SEELE 08 wrote:

I've heard rumors that the commiteemen's names and positions are revealed in taht book? But damn I've grown attached to the fanon names they've been given.

They are safe.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1305209

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:22 am

Aww man nothing about the commitee! I still personally think "Vlad" is the result of a soviet era expirament involving high doses of radiation and lots of vodka.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”