[MANGA] [NGE] Is it worth it?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:16 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Ornette wrote:
Darius wrote:Mr. Sadamoto is one of the founding members of Eva..

He is? Where did you read that?

He was involved in drawing character concepts; and the first manga stages predated the anime, soo...

Yes, the stage 1 release in Shounen Ace predated the airing of the first episode, but the TV show quickly passed the manga as far as what point they were at in the story.

But was curious about how much creative participation Sadamoto actually HAD in the TV show. He's not credited for anything except character design. I haven't seen anything official concerning this. If you meant "designed the characters" = "founding member", then that's fine, but it's the "designed the characters" = "canon", that I'm not sure about.

Darius
Lilith

Postby Darius » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:20 pm

Hmm..ok. I just read it and it sais he was a founding member and character designer...so i didn't really specify in what way he founded it...cuz i didnt know lol.

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby AuthenticM » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:53 pm

He has been in the production of NGE since day one with Anno. He's probably the most important person on the project behind Anno.
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:29 pm

AuthenticM wrote:He has been in the production of NGE since day one with Anno. He's probably the most important person on the project behind Anno.

From wiki: "The character designer creates the basic designs for the characters that the animators use when drawing cels."

I'm not saying I know how much continued involvement Sadamoto had with Anno and the show, but I've always been under the impression that a character designer's job is to produce a set of drawings of the characters in an anime, in different clothes, different angles, different facial expressions, what color everything is supposed to be, etc. Afterwards, his job is done, and in Sadamoto's case, he embarked on his first full manga work. When the script/story calls for more characters, they'll bring the character designer back to create the drawings/designs for the new character. It may be the case that Sadamoto continued to stick around and did some uncredited work for Anno, but I've never seen or read anything that substantiates that.

IMO, this is equivalent to Ikuto Yamashita's role in the show. He designed the Eva's and provided the necessary drawings for the animators to animate the Evas. Or Takeshi Honda's role in EoE.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:52 pm

The funny thing about Sadamoto's character designs for Eva is that he cheated and didn't come up with entirely new character designs. He borrowed an awful lot from what he and Anno did for Nadia.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”