EoTV and EoE equality

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

EoTV and EoE equality

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:05 am

Hey folks. I was just kinda bored and the wiki imho needs some pictures. So I just made some screencaps. (if you need them at all, also higher resolution... just tell me :f

And we all know that "Air" is based on the original script of Episode 25. So I just compared em a little. Also some storyboards... just a little question. I read that production of EoE begun when the Series was still airing for the first time. So does anybody have some insights on when these scenes were dropped? Like Asuka fighting the Eva series.

Storyboards & Final Version

EoTV & EoE

Eva 02 at the bottom of the lake

Misato wounded

Ritsukos body floating

Gendo & Rei

The sandbox

Shinji watching Misato and Kaji

Shinji floating "nowhere"

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:42 am

Whenever or not you agree with the whole EoTV=EOE thing, at least we got pics of it, and I do have to thank ya for taking them. I never made the "floating 'nowhere'" until now, and I'm sure we're going to use those pictures somewhere in the wiki.

Also, I'm pretty sure the animation of "Air" was in production after the show was all done. No way could they work on a battle like that with the money and time they got with the show.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:52 am

Hasn't there been a lot of conflicting statements regarding the origins of the last two episodes popping up lately? Some say that the clip show ending was planned relatively early on.

Also, I'm not sure if this is what you're implying, but I've encountered a lot of people who insist that the rough animation seen in the DC 24 preview does in fact come from the cancelled TV version of EoE and not the movie itself.
Where exactly is the evidence for that?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:00 pm

View Original PostRodeo wrote:Hasn't there been a lot of conflicting statements regarding the origins of the last two episodes popping up lately? Some say that the clip show ending was planned relatively early on.

Yes.

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9158
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=10029
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:31 pm

I recently read somewhere (I think one of the articles I linked to in that Discussion thread) that there's an image similarity of the EoE fallen/steaming coffee-pot with a live-action coffee pot shot (not sure if Episode 25 or 26).

Also, just an interesting observation in terms of dialogue (although there are several dialogue similarities in EoTV and EoE): Gendo at one point says something about "No person can live alone" while there's a shot of Yui's grave. >_>

Thanks for the image comparisons, anyway, interesting stuff. :)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Just to clarify, the storyboards in question are only present on the DC version of 24, which wasn't released until after EoE. The original version of 24 has a preview that covers only the events of EoTV.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:07 am

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Whenever or not you agree with the whole EoTV=EOE thing, at least we got pics of it, and I do have to thank ya for taking them. I never made the "floating 'nowhere'" until now, and I'm sure we're going to use those pictures somewhere in the wiki.

For me EoTV = EoE. Similar scenes. And stuff. Like seen above :D And in both cases Shinji rejects HIP.

Also, I'm pretty sure the animation of "Air" was in production after the show was all done. No way could they work on a battle like that with the money and time they got with the show.

I dont really know... this is also kinda why I asked.

Interview with Toshmichi Otsuki (Neon Genesis Evangelion producer)

Interviewer: WHAT WERE THE TOUGHEST TIMES?

Otsuki: Without doubt, the hardest thing was when we couldn't make the opening deadline for the movie back in 1997.

We couldn't release a complete work and were forced to bring out a movie in both the spring and again in the summer.

We had been working on the movie version while the TV series while still running for the first time, but I knew by the end of 1996 that we weren't going to make the deadline, so I made the decision to create two movies.

Anno-san never apologized, though. The end result was that we got almost the same amount of people in to watch both movies, which made the distributor, Toho, very happy, but it was really tough to make the decision to split up the story.

Even then, we still had to work up until the very last moment to get the second movie out on time. I went home to catch up on some sleep without even watching the movie.

Another difficult matter was the scheduling of the end of the TV series.

I have absolutely no recollection of having seen the rushes before the shows aired. Before I knew it, I was seeing things like (Eva) Unit 03 fighting on the screen and thinking: "What the hell is going on here?"

So they might have started? Some bits and pieces of EoE went into the TV-version (seen above :D) and yeah... I dunno...

View Original PostRodeo wrote:Also, I'm not sure if this is what you're implying, but I've encountered a lot of people who insist that the rough animation seen in the DC 24 preview does in fact come from the cancelled TV version of EoE and not the movie itself.
Where exactly is the evidence for that?

No evidence at all. I was just asking. IF they started production early on, they might be "old" and have been dropped.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I recently read somewhere (I think one of the articles I linked to in that Discussion thread) that there's an image similarity of the EoE fallen/steaming coffee-pot with a live-action coffee pot shot (not sure if Episode 25 or 26).

Also, just an interesting observation in terms of dialogue (although there are several dialogue similarities in EoTV and EoE): Gendo at one point says something about "No person can live alone" while there's a shot of Yui's grave. >_>

Thanks for the image comparisons, anyway, interesting stuff. :)

Will check out the coffeepot :) And maybe Ill find some other things. I doubt it. But I will do anyway :D

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Just to clarify, the storyboards in question are only present on the DC version of 24, which wasn't released until after EoE. The original version of 24 has a preview that covers only the events of EoTV.

Are you 100% sure? I just have the platinum DVDs. We all know NGE has been edited a few times. Images were added and removed. Do the real original first screening still exist somewhere? :D

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:35 pm

The nearest we have to the original as aired is the ADV first releases -- the Japanese home video release was what we call the DC version. I don't know what those had for next episode previws, though.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:00 pm

Yes, I'm sure. The original plan was to redo 21-26 building on the script from 25' and leading to a new 'complementary' ending. Things quickly got out of hand though with new ideas and deadline issues, thus it got split up into Death and Rebirth followed by EoE and the home release of 21-24 was put on hold. The DC episodes weren't actually completed until after EoE was released in theaters, inserting footage from the theatrical version of D&R and some completely new shots, along with reanimating some other stuff along the way.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:14 pm

It seems strange that they would be so short sighted as to promise a full on episode in the preview, only to churn out a clip show one week later.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:38 pm

They didn't.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: EoTV and EoE equality

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:56 pm

All of the claims regarding the Eva endings really need to be substantiated with references to interviews and stuff. And in that regard, we need some nice, fresh material. There's been too much mulling over the same stale body of vague/conflicting statements and evidence, and so many memetic mutations have accumulated that we don't have a fucking clue what we're talking about anymore.

View Original Postqu4d wrote:Hey folks. I was just kinda bored and the wiki imho needs some pictures. So I just made some screencaps. (if you need them at all, also higher resolution... just tell me :f

The images you made are more suited for forum threads than for the wiki. For the wiki, each separate screenshot image should be uploaded individually (assuming it isn't already there), and then the juxtapositions made like e.g. this. Hope that makes some sense.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:25 pm

Some of these statements would indicate that they planned two different endinds or that Anno just couldn't decide and therefore made two and... yeah, nothing fits together.

As I got it, they planned sometjing EOE-like, then had a better idea or one that they could finish in time, and tried out the old idea when they had more cash and ppl complains indicated new stuff would give them even more cash.
Still, this displays the "inductive creation method" mentioned in the Rebuild interviews.

I'd compare the discrepancy between the two endinds to that between old!NGE as a whole and Rebuild. Starts out similar, uses different methods, pursues similar themes but with other emphasis, grows appart as the story progresses. (Note how Rei's expressions is different in the comparision pics. EoE!Rei looks somewhat more blank... It may hint at how (in my opinion) her final choice was different...)
And I wouldn't compare the "floating" scenes since EoE! Shinji is more like falling. IF anything, the "floating" scene would be the rough equivalent of the "dream" dialogue or the "Sea of LCL sex scene". It is about what the world without others (The Sea of LCL/merged state) is like.

That storyboards for what would be a good chunk of ep 25' were already partially finished, yes, that's why the beginnings are somewhat similar, but it diverges afterwards - I think EoTV is pretty much Gendo's Intrumentality, except Shinji also rejects it. Also, I think there's a confrontation between the adults. Both versions have stuff that wasn't in the orther.

But my personal theories aside, with all the conflicting statements and so on, whether the endings are the same or not can't really be absolutely clarified.
Anno likes repeating his story (Death, Rebuild, the DC...They publish the alternate storyboards and drafts and stuff...) adding bits and pieces here and there and taking others away, always changing it as his own life changes or doesn't change...
EoE is like Rebuild both a "polished version" an alternative AND a reaction (two years, lots of reactions to NGE ans infamous reactions from Anno to those... How could it be the same after all that took place in its creator's life. The radically different AU sequences (EoE also was once meant to have one they cut it for runtime and published it as an extra)should speak for themselves. )

To have a comparision page for the "similar scenes" of both versions would be nice, with a few comments on both the similarities and the possible small differences.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”