Child/ Children?

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

Child/ Children?

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:51 pm

In the 'Characters' page of the Glossaries, the main characters are introduced. However I realise in the Japanese original version the Eva pilots are called children, not child, even if it refers to a single boy/ girl.

For example, Shinji is the third one, and he's called the Third Children in the animation. Although it seems grammatically incorrect, it's set by the author. Therefore, would it be better to follow the original names? I think it would be better to change 'Child' back to 'Children'. Thank you.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:00 pm

I've thought about it more than once. Part of it is a force of habit, given that every time I watch Eva, regardless of sub or dub, it's always "Child". If I were to switch over to more Nihon-centric terminology like "Children", "Shogouki", "Longinus no Yari", etc, I would be afraid of alienating the more casual fans. The more dedicated and educated fans understand and typically don't care unless it's a glaring inaccuracy. I'm taking things like this into consideration at the moment. I'm trying to give the site an overhaul, making it less oriented towards North American fandom, and simply english speaking oriented. Switching to using the terminology "children" for instance may come about in the near future, as I try to up the level of content.

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:37 am

I have a kawaru background, it says 5th children, I dont mind it, but I'd rather it say child, or even piolet but that would be totally off topic.

Its a sweet pick of him sitting by the broken angel statue holding a black kitty! I believe it was posted here somewhere... mr. tines?
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AuthenticM » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:42 am

Why did Anno write it up as 'children' in the first place? He did know that it was grammaticaly incorrect. So why?
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:59 pm

AuthenticM wrote:Why did Anno write it up as 'children' in the first place?

Rei counts as "children", I think.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:33 pm

Unless there's some sort of controversy over meaning that I'm not aware of, as in the debate over what exactly an "Angel" is in the context of the series, it seems that it would be better just to leave it as "child." Creates a lot less dissonance in the mind while reading.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”