Eva 2.XX Storyboards vs. Final

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sanctus Scorpius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sanctus Scorpius » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:57 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:By the way, I haven't picked up the Funi 2.22 DVD yet. Are the "Omit Scenes" translated?

Yes, they are.

Shinji is Lilith

Shinji: I must kill the Angels!

Mari: No, Shinji. You are are the Angels.

And then Shinji was an Eva.

...Sorry, couldn't resist.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:27 pm

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:But the "could have been/still could be" implications are staggering. Shinji is getting brainwashed while having visions about Rei and trains. And Rei is sitting outside his room. Does this mean that, through some plot convolution and telepathy hax, Rei herself is the instrument for headscrewing Shinji? Such a twist would be insane. (snip)

I dunno about Rei being involved one way or the other, but one thing that immediately comes to mind are Gendo's weird plans for Shinji and Rei. This "brainwashing" stuff, whatever the heck it is, raises the creepy possibility that Gendo has been fucking with Shinji's (and probably Rei's, as well) brain to achieve the results seen at the end of 2.XX. Don't leave to "prophecy" what you can leave to the neurologists* who spend tons of time with your Eva pilots.

* In Rei's case, append "fucked-up cyperpunk bondage gear hidden within the bowels of Nerv" to "neurologists".

Khara is probably keeping the heavy artillery for the next movie. I'm already salviating.

Tell me about it...

Scorpius wrote:And then Shinji was an Eva.

I'll just leave this here.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:12 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:By the way, I haven't picked up the Funi 2.22 DVD yet. Are the "Omit Scenes" translated?

Like Sanctus Scorpius wrote, yes, BUT I'd advise you to pick up a copy sooner than later on the off-chance shit like this ends up happening again.

SaltyJoe wrote:Khara is probably keeping the heavy artillery for the next movie. I'm already salivating.

Same here. Hopefully the scenes that make their way into the films (as well as cut-scenes mentioned in CRC) [s]better have[/s] will have equal "holy shit this is awesome" vibes. I don't think they'd be stupid enough to waste their time on what some saw as "filler" in 2.xx, whether for 3.0 or 3.33, but...
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:24 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:47 pm

@Seele: As mentioned, the brainwashing is really strongly implied to be something they're doing to Shinji. See my post here. "Brainwashing" the pilots is even mentioned as a possibility in the first movie.

Yui would be "sad" because she'd asked Gendo to take care of Shinji for her (one of the only lines from her in the movies so far), and instead he's having their son brainwashed for throwing a temper tantrum. (I dunno how Fuyutsuki figures she knows about that, though.)

This all also leads into the Eva (I think) howling in disapproval at the re-insertion of the Dummy System later in the movie.

The entry plug is making the noise when it's rejected. (I mentioned this in the OP, I think.)

Is this a way of interpreting the lines that adds the least new elements and corresponds the most with what we already know?

"Adding the fewest new elements" is a bit of a peripheral concern, considering we don't have a full translation of the storyboard version of 2.0 to put all this in context.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:53 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:07 am

Seele08: It's right there in the final film.

Eva 1.11 wrote:Fuyutsuki:
What do you plan to do about Unit-01's pilot?

Gendo:
It's too soon to test the Dummy Plug.
We have no other practical means other than letting the current pilot handle it.

Fuyutsuki:
In the worst case, do we brainwash him?

Gendo:
If he's unusable, we'll use Rei.

So, since brainwashing Shinji has already been mentioned as a possibility, that seems like the go-to interpretation. If you want to denounce it as "stupid", go ahead. I welcome just about anything that might make the "scenarios written fifteen years ago" unfold slightly less magically.

If all that isn't enough for you, let's not forget: not only does Shinji trippin' in the hospital directly follow the Fuyu/Gendo scene, Ritsuko and Misato were talking about Shinji immediately beforehand (Eva-03 demolition). Same as episode #19, except Fuyutsuki finishes Misato's sentence instead of Asuka.

mostly copypasta wrote:Misato:
So what happened to Shinji?

RITSUKO:
I understand that they opened the escape hatch with a laser cutter,
and removed him forcibly.

Misato:
That's just wonderful.
This time...

*Shinji and Asuka's files lying on desk -OR- Nerv pyramid being reconstructed*

FUYUTSUKI:
It might really be over.

FUYUTSUKI:
Stop the brainwashing, Ikari.
Yui is sad.

So, yeah... the "brainwashed Yui" interpretation is pretty forced and out-of-context.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:41 am

Okay, folks, open wide and have some delightful crappy translations of the scrapped Eva-04-related material. "Screenplay" refers to the draft of the story published in the back of Eva 2.0 CRC (which precedes the storyboards).

I'll put all this shit up on the Wiki someday, and it will be all pretty and have storyboard scans and everything, but this will have to do for now.

The scenes are presented in order without omissions. Gray indicates stuff that made it into the final, as a point of reference.

Staff meeting [omitted/altered lines from screenplay]

日向「現存するデータからマギが推測する原因は、三万二千七百六十八通りです」
リツコ「主因は4号機の疑似S²器官の搭載実験の失敗」
ミサト「ここの工ヴァ、大丈夫でしょうね」

Misato:
This is bad.

Hyuga:
From the extant data, Magi extrapolates 32,718 possible causes.

Ritsuko:
The primary one being a mistake in the experimental installation of Eva-04's pseudo S2 organ*.

Misato:
So that means the Evas here are okay.

Ibuki:
Eva-04 was—

(etc. -- dialogue for remainder of scene is same)

*Yes, they use the kanji for “organ” here. Also, if I see "pseudo" ONE MORE TIME...

Gendo's office [From screenplay and storyboard]

4号機のデータを見ている冬月。
冬月「エヴァ4号機。疑似S²機関を仮設搭載した試作実験機だ。何が起きてもおかしくはない。しかし一一一」

(Fuyutsuki looking at Eva-04's data. In the storyboard, we can see the report on Fuyutsuki's clipboard, which includes a photo of the Eva.)

Fuyutsuki:
Eva Unit 04. The trial experimental unit provisionally installed with the pseudo S2 engine/organ*. I suppose anything can happen. But, still---

*Screenplay says “engine”, storyboard says “organ”. 'Kay.

Kaji smokin' and spyin'.

Kaji:
Was this really an accident?

Nerv staff on the move, chatting about the incident

During this scene, it looks like they're walking through Nerv past a bicycle rental outlet and getting on an escalator. The screenplay version is still undecided above location and suggests a few possibilities, including the final choice.

The dialogue is modified between the screenplay and storyboard versions, so I'm including both. Some of the translation is "off", but hopefully it gets the general idea across.

Screenplay Version

ミサト「しっかし、完成部品が20%にも満たない4号機で、何故、S2器官搭載実験を強行したのかしら」
日向「米国もあせってんじゃないすか。日本だけが工ヴァを3体も独占してますから」
ミサ卜「だから3、4号機の建造と保有はあっちが主張して強引に権利を取ってったんじゃない。今更3号機の有人起動実験をパイロット込みでこっちに押し付けるなんて、虫がよすぎない」
リツコ「エヴァ不要論者が議会工作してるのよ。国防省は工ヴァ保有の名目を維持したいし。ただでさえ国 家予算の2割相当を工ヴァとネJレフ運用のために強制的に供出させられてんのよ。無理も通したいでしょ」
伊吹「出資は当然ですよ。ここは人類存続の要ですから」
青葉「ま、その分あちこちから、嫌われてますけどね」

Misato:
But Eva-04 wasn't even 20% finished, so why did they force the experimental installation of the S2 organ?

Hyuga:
I guess the U.S. was in a hurry? With three Evas, Japan really has a monopoly.

Misato:
So they insisted on building Evas 03 and 04 for themselves and took the right by force. And now they've got the nerve to push Eva-03's manned activation experiment on us, pilot and all.

Ritsuko:
Anti-Eva advocates have been lobbying Congress. The Department of Defense maintains nominal ownership. Even a significant 20% of the state budget is allocated to their investment in Nerv and the Evas. There's no point in pursuing it further.

Maya:
That it's an investment should be a given. We're talking about the crux of humanity's survival here.

Aoba:
Well, (something about being out of favor/on sb's bad side).*

* I can't completely make out Aoba's language here, but it probably has something to do with the U.S. abandoning its investment due to the bad experience they've been having with the Evas.

Storyboard Version

ミサト「しっかし、完成部位が60%に満たない4号機で、何故実験を強行したのかしら」
日向「米国もあせってんじゃないですか。日本だけがエヴァを3体も独占してますから」
青葉「だから3号機、4号機の建造と保有は、あっちが強引に持っていったんじゃないか」
ミサト「それを今更、3号機の起動実験をパイロット込みで押し付けてくるなんて、虫がよすぎない。 それも大統領直々に」
リツコ「エヴァ不要論者が議会工作してるのよ。国防省はエヴァ保有の名目を維持したいし。
ただでさえ、国家予算の2割相当をエヴァとネルフ運用のため、強制的に供出させられているのよ。無理も通したいでしょ」
伊吹「出資は当然ですよ。ここは人類存続の要なんですから」

Misato:
But Eva-04 wasn't even 60% finished, so why did they force the experiment?

Hyuga:
I guess the U.S. was in a hurry? With three Evas, Japan really has a monopoly.

Aoba:
Sounds like they really wanted (the right) to build Eva-03 and Eva-04 for themselves.

Misato:
And now they've got the nerve to push Eva-03's activation experiment on us, pilot and all. That’s direct from the President, too.

Ritsuko:
Anti-Eva advocates are lobbying Congress. The Department of Defense maintains nominal ownership. Even a whole 20% of the state budget is allocated to their investment in Nerv and the Evas. Pursuing it further is pointless.

Maya:
That it's an investment should be a given. We're talking about the crux of humanity's survival here.

Gendo's office [Screenplay and storyboard]

ゲンドウ「ああ、了解した」
各月「米国大統領から公式な直訴とはな。裏でゼーレが動いてるとはいえ、無視も出来んか」

(Gendo on his red emergency phone.)

Gendo:
Yes. Understood.*

(Gendo puts phone away. Fuyutsuki is standing with his back to Gendo, but his face turned toward him.)

Fuyutsuki:
An official appeal from the President of the United States. (turns away) Even though Seele are operating behind the scenes, it’s impossible not to notice.

* Storyboard tentatively suggests that Gendo say "Yes. Sir?" in English here. ohlawd

Seele monoliths [Screenplay only]*

キール「何かを得れば、等しく別の何かを失う」
「それが世界の摂理だ」
「工ヴァ4号機と多くの同胞を消失したが、代わりに得たものも大きい」
キール「犠牲なくして、人類の浄化は望めぬ。エヴァという名のヒ卜柱は、やむを得まい」

Keel:
There is no gain without an equal loss.

??:
Such is the providence of the world.

??:
Eva Unit 04, along with many of our brethren, have vanished, but what we have gained is more than compensation.

Keel:
We cannot ask for humanity's sanctification without making sacrifices. The human sacrifice "Eva" is a necessary evil.

* Storyboard replaces this with the "True Evangelion" scene.
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:41 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The Department of Defense maintains nominal ownership. Even a significant 20% of the state budget is allocated to their investment in Nerv and the Evas.

Even assuming that the post-apocalypse budget is less than the present one (which isn't an assumption I'd necessarily make), that still means over $600 billion go into Project E yearly. Jesus. SEELE got the bank.

View Original PostReichu wrote:* Storyboard tentatively suggests that Gendo say "Yes. Sir?" in English here. ohlawd

I'll never forgive whichever editor it was from depriving us of the pleasure of hearing Tachiki drawl "YESSU, SAA".

View Original PostReichu wrote:??:
Eva Unit 04, along with many of our brethren, have vanished, but what we have gained is more than compensation.

Well...what have they gained, exactly? Data on the S2 Engine? Why would they need such to blow up half a state to get such things when they have an S2-equipped Eva on the moon that they could test entirely unmolested?
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Deyno
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Deyno » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:37 pm

When are you going to scan the CRC?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:18 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Even assuming that the post-apocalypse budget is less than the present one (which isn't an assumption I'd necessarily make), that still means over $600 billion go into Project E yearly.

My 1st draft translation is definitely missing some critical nuances, but the impression I got is that Ritsuko's implying that, due to the significance of the expenditures (among other things), it isn't a real big surprise that the Americans would want out of Project E.

I'll keep working on it. Translating Ritsuko is annoying when she isn't talking about science.

Why would they need such to blow up half a state to get such things when they have an S2-equipped Eva on the moon that they could test entirely unmolested?

That's assuming Eva-06 had anything installed at that point.

They're also using the same language about "sacrifices" here that they use in the later excised scene about Eva-03. I wonder what Seele's hard-on for sacrifices -- which we can see them deny with all their might -- is all about. I guess goats and sheep just aren't expensive, huge, and dangerous enough to provide that good ol' sin-cleansing satisfaction.

Of course, since the "sacrifices" stuff was cut, it may end up not having any relevance, but the final film does leave in Kaji's line intimating that what happened to Eva-04 wasn't an accident.* Just in case they end up wanting to follow up on it, I guess.

Right now, I'm thinking that a lot of this stuff got cut so that they could keep their options open for the next movie. The writing of it seems to be quite grueling, so, perhaps knowing that a lot of details still needed to be ironed out, a lot of the iffier material regarding plot machinations was snipped. Would be nice if they reimplemented some of it later, though.

* And Asuka STILL ends up "chained" to a big coffin-shaped slab surrounded by skyward-pointing pillars, bathed in red. They don't say she's a "human sacrifice" in the final film, but the visuals sure do say a lot.

View Original PostDeyno wrote:When are you going to scan the CRC?

If you're asking if I'm going to scan the whole thing, it's "never". I've scanned interview pages for Number-kun to translate, and sometime or other I'm going to get some scans from the storyboards that I've mentioned. "When", I dunno.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:46 pm

Here are some scans. Most of them are pretty shitty -- due to certain obnoxious features of the library scanner, which I shan't bore you with -- but they'll do for now.

• C-0811~0814: Staff meeting about Eva-04 incident
  • C-0815~0819: Misato: "I know"; Gendo & Fuyu; Kaji exhaling.
  • C-0820~0823: Kaji: Was this really an accident?; Misato et al. chatting about the Eva-04 incident.
  • C-0821~0823: Revised storyboards. (Yeah, I didn't figure out what these were before; I'm baka desu.)
  • C-0824~0827: Gendo talking to the president; Fuyutsuki: "There's no way you can't notice (their machinations)."
  • C-0989~90: Faces popping out of Bardiel's core and freaking Shinji out.
  • C-1069~70: Eva-03's upper body attempting to crawl away. In the dialogue column, "(Asuka)" is written next to the sound Eva-03 makes as it tries to escape.
  • C-1107~1112: "Eva-03 is completely silent."
  • C-1117~1120: Eva-01's eyes turning back to white; Shinji sniffling in plug as dummy system boots off and releases him.
  • C-1120~23: "Asuka's alive?"
  • C-1124~29: Shinji sees Asuka being taken out of the plug.

Scroll up a little for a translation of the Eva-04 stuff (albeit just dialogue). I haven't done the others yet.

More later...
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:54 pm

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:17 am

Asuka being pulled out... looks like the face ripping idea was NOT completely in her head. :asuka_sad:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:21 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Asuka being pulled out... looks like the face ripping idea was NOT completely in her head.

Well, she DID put it back on, but... yeah. The script is kind of vague here, only really saying that she's "cruelly/pitifully marred by traces of (the Angel's) corrosion". There's a note on the side wondering if they should include a bunch (lit. "mountain") of needles.

The techs also say that they're having trouble getting Asuka out.

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:In regards to the first one involving the railway, it's good to see they were conceptually addressing the location change from the Bardiel battle at the surface down to the underground where Shinji ended up stomping the pyramid.

The final film still addresses the location change: the Eva transport restraint frame can be seen in flames right before they pan up on the Nerv pyramid.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:21 pm

Delicious scans. Sweet.

View Original PostReichu wrote:C-1107~1112: "Eva-03 is completely silent."

On the seocnd panel: is that round shape Eva-03's ravaged core, or just some random bundle of intestines? Do the notes say anything about that?
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:53 pm

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:On the seocnd panel: is that round shape Eva-03's ravaged core, or just some random bundle of intestines? Do the notes say anything about that?

I think it's just random innards; the storyboard-ists typically label cores (コア) whenever there's any ambiguity.

Incidentally, the line "We've lost control of the core unit!" (or however it goes) is the final reference to Eva-03's core in the film, AFAIK. And I've looked. No mention in the background dialogue at the cleanup or anything. It's very weird.

EDIT: I also just noticed that the "Nerv staff walking around and talking about Eva-04" scene's dialogue was changed slightly between screenplay and storyboard, so the relevant post now has both versions.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Xous
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xous » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:38 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:[*]C-1069~70: Eva-03's upper body attempting to crawl away. In the dialogue column, "(Asuka)" is written next to the sound Eva-03 makes as it tries to escape.
[*]C-1120~23: "Asuka's alive?"
[*]C-1124~29: Shinji sees Asuka being taken out of the plug.

I found those the most interesting. The idea of seeing Bardiel crawl away as just an upper half really shook me for some reason, though it would have fit with the grotesque imagery of the rest of the scene. In addition, having it making "Asuka" sounds as it tries to crawl away... *Shudders*

And seeing that they had planned for Shinji to see Asuka being pulled from the plug is interesting.

Thanks for the scans, and looking forward to the other ones you mentioned would be coming later. :3

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:18 pm

View Original PostXous wrote:The idea of seeing Bardiel crawl away as just an upper half really shook me for some reason, though it would have fit with the grotesque imagery of the rest of the scene. In addition, having it making "Asuka" sounds as it tries to crawl away... *Shudders*

Wouldn't it have been spectacular? :w00t: When I finally noticed that, in the actual movie, Eva-03 is actually making a feeble effort to fight back (or just keep Eva-01 the fuck away), I wish it had been played up a bit more. I have some kind of sick thing for the marriage of pathos and primal violence, so seeing those excised storyboards filled my heart with rueful longing...

Errr, anyway. :nyao: From what I can tell, the "(Asuka)" note is just attributing the Eva's noise to Asuka, but they don't specify for the Eva to actually sound like her.

Seele08 and everybody else, forget what I said about Eva-01 being put on rails. I'm a moron. It's just Eva-01's head being reflected in the paddy field while they show her eyes revert to white.

I guess I'll post some more.

• 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6: For old times' sake, here's Asuka talking to her disembodied face and turning into a porcupine. There was an at least partial translation of this scene posted somewhere, but I can't remember which thread and I don't feel like looking.
  • C-1227: A giant glowing tree / root thing sprouting out of the Bardiel explosion. Who the fuck knows.
  • C-1251~55: Seele conversation about how they wanted Eva-03 to get Angel-raped.
  • C-1284~85: Beginning of Eva-03 cleanup scene.
  • C-1286~90: Rest of Eva-03 cleanup scene.
  • C-1291~96: "Yui-kun is sad."
  • C-1316B~1302: Original segueway into Shinji train mindfuck. (No red goop, just Rei saying "Ikari-kun" off-camera.)
  • C-1432: 10th Angel at its most intimidating. (Yes, I'm just posting this because I think it's funny.)
  • C-1444~47: Zeruel setting off a Lavos-like pile of crossplosions. (And making one of those big cross-shaped incisions in the ground the Angels seem so fond of now.) But... wait, what's Shinji doing here?
  • C-1627~28: Zeruel's core turning into a face while the Angel groans like Rei.
  • C-1649~52: Dummy system screaming like Rei.
  • C-1655~57: Kaji saying that Eva-01 has a human heart and Shinji's will (right after Gendo calls the Eva "Yui", wtf).
  • C-1677~81: Big pillars being deployed against Zeruel in command center. (EDIT: Also looks like Ritsuko is taking some initiative and trying to start the self-destruct, but both her and Misato have to input their "keys".)
  • C-1681~86: It's completely ineffective!
  • C-1740~43: Zeruel throwing an arm at Eva-01 (instead of four). That's Tsurumaki's concept for 10th Angel's 2nd form on exhibit. (He probably did the boards here, too.)
  • C-1744~46: Zeruel throwing another arm. Here's the halo that never made it into the final. ...BUT WHY?

More later.
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Xous
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xous » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:57 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Wouldn't it have been spectacular? When I finally noticed that, in the final scene, Eva-03 is actually making a feeble effort to fight back (or just keep Eva-01 the fuck away), I wish it had been played up a bit more. I have some kind of sick thing for the marriage of pathos and primal violence, so seeing those excised storyboards filled my heart with rueful longing...

Errr, anyway. From what I can tell, the "(Asuka)" note is just attributing the Eva's noise to Asuka, but they don't specify for the Eva to actually sound like her.

xD I agree! I remember seeing 03's angel-arms come up and try to push 01 away (which struck me as odd at first since they went limp after it was choked out), and I do wish it had gone further, probably for the same reason you stated. I appreciate the fact Evangelion often goes that extra mile when it comes to this kind of thing.

As far as the Asuka note goes, I see what you mean now.

From those new scans (thanks again by the way), the ones concerning Zeruel are the ones I find most interesting. Its core turning into a face is a neat concept.

Seeing the other concept for its second form is nice, and finally seeing it with a halo fills my heart with joy. Did they just forget to add it in the final product, or was there a specific reason it was excluded? (Or do we just not know?)

And finally, something that always confused me has been put to rest (somewhat). Seeing the boards with pillars rising to protect the command center! It always bugged me that they had plans for protection of pretty much every other thing in NERV (something's always popping out of somewhere!), but when an Angel storms into the center of command, they just have to stand there and go "Welp, we're doomed."

Of course, maybe they assumed if an Angel got that far it would mean game over and they'd just let the auto self-destruct take course, or maybe Zeruel storming through the wall disabled whatever they had planned to defend themselves. Though it's comical to see "It's completely ineffective!", because that's what pillars are against something that can fire lasers. xD

Also, the Bardiel treesplosion is odd... Maybe Angel + Eva + Death = ...Trees? (Ignore me, I'm ramblin'.)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”