Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:34 am

[URL=http://img18.imageshack.us/i/bmfb6.jpg/]Image[/URL]

Glad to see reaction to ep 24 seems to be quite universal...

I wonder if Seiyu Numata or someone with similar style is working as key animator on the finale. The insane, distorted faces Wako, Takuto (not to mention Head, oh god) pull in finale preview remind me of his Kanada-style animation...

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:33 am

final battle  SPOILER: Show
IT'S

A

PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNCH

Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:23 pm

[URL=http://img27.imageshack.us/i/vlcsnap2011040401h11m29.png/]Image[/URL]

THE MOST AMAZING PUNCH IN ANIME HISTORY

THE MOST AMAZING FINALE SINCE MACROSS FRONTIER IN 2008

IT EVEN HAD A SKY END (LITERALLY) LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

AND THEN SAKUGAFAGS DIED OF COLLECTIVE ORGASM

BONES DESTROYED THEIR REPUTATION FOR SHIT TIER ENDINGS WITH THAT ONE PUNCH

ITSA PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNCH

TAKUTO TOP 5 LEADS EVER

BOKU NIWA MIETEIRU!!!!!

I want to rate Star Driver 10/10 for this episode alone

This was audiovisual orgasm. I haven't reacted like this to any anime episode in forever. By the time episode ended I realized my face was red, I was sweating and that throat was sore from all the FUCK YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS screams. I was jumping, whirling my whists and behaving nearly like ape towards the end.

This was AMAZING

Oh God.

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:25 pm

Honestly, I saw Takuto punching Head in the face from like a mile away...also does anybody else feel this show just SCREAMS Utena?? I don't quite know what it is but look at this and tell me there isn't something simular

SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://img834.imageshack.us/i/utenaxtakuto.png/]Image[/URL]
Last edited by cd603 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:37 pm

:scanners_head:
HOLY SHIT

It took them ten goddamn years, but Bones finally did it. They made one hell of an original mecha series, here. Enokido, I'll never ever doubt you. I don't think I even doubted you much while watching Star Driver, but this has banished any doubts I might have ever had. Bones was already a pretty good studio, but Star Driver--its ending notwithstanding, even--stood head and shoulders above the pretentious train wreck of Eureka 7 and the meandering and uneven RahXephon. It didn't help that both of those titles had ludicrously bad endings, especially since they (or, Rah at the very least) would have been great otherwise. But Star Driver? Mother of god. Well done, fellas. You've just delivered the best show of the past couple years.

View Original PostXard wrote: I want to rate Star Driver 10/10 for this episode alone
you sound as though you'd give Star Driver anything LESS

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

kuwisdelu
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby kuwisdelu » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:49 pm

AND MONOCHROME IS BACK.

But seriously, that was awesome.

Upon seeing that IT'S A PUNCH spoiler image on gg before watching, I was also fully expecting Takuto to climb out of (de-bubble from?) Tauburn and walk over to Sinpathy to punch out Head, a la Gurren Lagann.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:49 pm

It reminded me of One Piece

TaintedHero
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TaintedHero » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:29 am

Audio/music: 11/10

Action: 12/10

Super punch: 13/10

God bless bones for finally doing something right, but not just right, freaking amazing.

Total: 36/10 (yes my math is 100% right)

"It's frozen, I can't get it to work", "Thats because it doesn't have a touchscreen, it's an ipod classic..."
Danger Please: Do not imitate a rapist!

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:05 am

By the way, has it been explained any place why the show is called Star Driver not Kiraboshi?
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:02 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote: you sound as though you'd give Star Driver anything LESS

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

because overall I've been of the opinion it is strong 9/10 show for quite a while now and that didn't really change to any direction before finale and now I don't know what to do :chair:

The animation quality of the finale was absolutely insane. It's as if BONES in addition to their own formidable talent base had 2nd key animation done by practically every guy who is worth his shit in mecha anime... Insane stuff, in this regard I haven't seen anything like SD ep 25 since Gurren Lagann

I know many /m/en consider current times bad for mecha anime (for understandable reasons) and Star Driver's focus really even isn't in the mecha aspect of things at all, but nonetheless the most amazing finales from last years I've seen all come from mecha anime: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Macross Frontier and now Star Driver...

at least works in the genre seem to know how to end things in mindblowing bang instead of whimper that typically characterizes anime endings.

I wasn't even particularly trolled by "Sky End" as that was something I already went through so my reaction to that was basically "OH Japan, you did this again" :lol:

and who cares about that stuff when you can end it on most bro high note of them all

Hell, I wasn't even bothered by GG's "trollsubs" in the end: they were FUCK YESSSSSS too :lol:

[URL=http://img860.imageshack.us/i/vlcsnap2011040410h15m19.png/]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://img813.imageshack.us/i/vlcsnap2011040410h15m21.png/]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://img861.imageshack.us/i/vlcsnap2011040410h15m26.png/]Image[/URL]

Hell yeah, take that Head :thumbsup:

View Original Postsymbv wrote:By the way, has it been explained any place why the show is called Star Driver not Kiraboshi?

Kiraboshi/Glittering Crux is name of the organization that wants to release Cybodies from their slumber and into real world (their reasons vary). Basically these guys. Star Driver is the title for those who apprivoise Cybodies...the full name is Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto so the name part "Star Driver" refers to Takuto himself in particular. And he is not member of Kiraboshi so it wouldn't make sense to call show that...

and since when has shows been named after antagonists anyway?

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:51 pm

>> MF(s)W battle-worn Takuto goes mono-e-mono with newly-reborn Samekh.

And yeah Ornette, I wouldn't be surprised if that scene from the One Piece movie inspired the paaaaaanch-u. It's also inspired the final bit of the second Gurren Lagann movie, and even a scene in the One Piece series itself. They sorta reinvented the toast-in-mouth cliche as a skethcy-punch-from-Hell cliche.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Xard, in a completely different thread, wrote:but honestly, I've been thinking lately that Star Driver wasn't all that fantastic in the end. Good overall, but that's it.

Eh. I can see where you're coming from, it's certainly far from perfect, but really I think its only major flaw was a lack of ambition. Which isn't to say it had no ambition at all - Enokido wanted to write a story in homage to all those space-youth bildungsroman anime he watched back in the 70s, and the resultant story is something that emphasizes the thickness of the nostalgia goggles he's wearing - but I think it also epitomizes that kind of original Star Wars innocence, and does so while remaining other than sappy or dull. Rather, what I mean by a lack of ambition is that it doesn't aim to have the punch in the gut of an Eva or even a Gundam, and deliberately, because while those stories deliberately build that kind of childhood innocence with the intent to show how very false it will become when you have to grow up, SD aims at the idea of deliberately setting aside that innocence before the world beats it out of you the way it beat it out of Head. Or Hideaki Anno. It's a sort of "jump out of the burning plane without a parachute because at least you won't be in the crash" thing. Of course, the viewer would be more amazed if the passenger died hideously in the crash than they would if the passenger bailed out and miraculously landed in a mattress factory and survived without injury. But ultimately SD wasn't an attempt to amaze the viewer (at least not in the writing department), just to make them think a little about the bad-ass innocent hero looking to enjoy his youth against the older worldlier villain struggling to stay young forever and what his existence means for the existence of nostalgia (or hell, what that means for the existence of twenty-something men and women who watch anime after anime about a bunch of cutesy characters attending high school, all the while sitting in front of a computer in a dark apartment and complaining about how laid they cant get).

Of course, it does suffer from character bloat like so many modern anime - any time you come up with enemies based on a boss-of-the-week scheme you have to reuse a handful of them (as did Utena arcs 1 and 3) or resign yourself to minimally detailing them (as did Utena arc 2 - except Ikuhara skilfully contrived a method in this arc by which everythign about the minibosses in question would be made clear to the viewer, while SD leaves us sadly in the dark about the deep mind of George-kun and why he believes fighting and boxing are totally different). Some characters remain memorable to me - Head and Takuto, the most recurrent pair, as well as Kanako, who wasn't too well fleshed out but was acted so brilliantly whenever she did show up that it would have been just as possible to center a completely different storyline about her and her supporting cast. Sugata and Wako remains a little underwhelming to me, too much objects and not enough characters. Others (the goddamn lesbians, the idiot trio) were basically there to fill Cybodies - which is maybe the sort of thing they could have afforded to do with another cour, but not so much here.

Nonetheless: that level of fantastic hand-drawn mecha animation (something we will probably never see again) and the strong thematic questions asked here, as well as Miyano and Ishida's utterly sextastic performances, are enough that I give the series a final verdict of 8.5/10, best anime 2010.

Don't know whether that counts as fantastic or not.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

The LABORS, YEAH! BD

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:36 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:It reminded me of One Piece

Hey! So you did watch One Piece! Actually, that's the one long-lived shounen I haven't kept tabs on.

@topic: This show is... okay, ultimately I don't have anything bad to say about it, only that it just didn't leave much of an impression, as I stopped watching after... 16 I think (EDIT: It was 23, hmm). This was not out of any conscious decision, but merely because I forgot. Then again, I may have just forgotten about the entire season, as I think this was the only show I was following at the time.

I can get into mecha for dumb fun, Zoids, G Gundam, Gunbuster, Full metal panic? Fumoffu, I love every single one of them (though as in the first case, not every iteration). This however, reminded me of Heroic Age, and a bit of X'amd, with a lot of the angst taken out, a good thing, but it also leaves me with the question "Why should I care?". I don't really relate to these characters, and what was truly at stake, or even how characters had gotten into their positions (from where I had stopped watching) wasn't made all that clear.

Like Heroic Age, what's truly clever about the series may not be apparent until later on, so I'll probably finish it out of that sentiment, but as "fresh" as its concept may be, it just, for whatever reason, doesn't resonate with me.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Goddamnit you guys. And here I was thinking that a sequel was being announced.

Goes back to waiting for eventual inclusion in a SRW game.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

classified-zerogoki
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby classified-zerogoki » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:24 pm

They should make a light novel adaption in my opinion. Every episode is good in it's own way. I just hate the first opening. The second opening was FABULOUS! Also, Monochrome is my favorite maiden song. Also, I like EVERY character in this show that is part of the cast. Episode 8 and 16 made me sad. I like what Wako does in Episode 19. Also, the masks are cool!

In my opinion

Audio/Music: 24/10
Visuals 24/10
Plot: 24/10
Characters: 24/10

FABULOUS! TOTAL: 96/40
"CHAAANGE! EVA TRAIN! SWITCH ON!"
-Asuka, After The End Audio Drama
Evangelion is Serious Business.
Kaworu x Asuka OTP!

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:27 pm

Hmm, you people seem to enjoy this Star Driver stuff, wonder if I should take it on.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:36 am

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Hmm, you people seem to enjoy this Star Driver stuff, wonder if I should take it on.

Oh god this will be hilarious.. :rofl:

I'll warn you in advance: main mecha wears high heels.

I don't get why people bash the 1st OP though. it's probably my favorite part of the show. It's pretty catchy..

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

... It's like they mechanized some French dude. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:23 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:I'll warn you in advance: main mecha wears high heels.

It's a French noblemen, it goes with the territory.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:03 pm

I'll warn you in advance: main mecha wears high heels.

Sounds really dumb, but I already new that. The main mecha looks like a colored version of the Mermaid Queen from the remake of She Creature if you ask me.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

classified-zerogoki
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby classified-zerogoki » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:19 pm

I haven't played 2nd Impression for the Sega Saturn yet, but who thought of Mayumi Yamagishi when they saw Kaito/Kate?
"CHAAANGE! EVA TRAIN! SWITCH ON!"
-Asuka, After The End Audio Drama
Evangelion is Serious Business.
Kaworu x Asuka OTP!

Return to “Anime and Manga”