Evangelion 2.22 release date: 03/29/11

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:57 pm

All in all a great BD!

Haven't watched the English dub but will give it a view this weekend. Only real downside so far of the actual disc is not being able to have subtitles for the dialogue only! It was distracting anytime having subtitles come up at the top of the screen giving out the lyrics for the songs. It would've been nice to give fans an option- Subtitles All, Subtitles Dialogue Only & Subtitles Songs Only

Still, image is nice & sharp! Audio crystal clear! And this Eva nerd is once again tearful that we haven't heard a thing about what happens next!

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:12 pm

The official bloody release date was yesterday, and yet Amazon still has not shipped my copy which I ordered, oh, three weeks ago? What gives, Amazon Dot Com??

I need my copy of Evangelion Two Point Tutu: You Can (Not) Dance, now with additional dance sequences set to the score of Swan Lake and West Side Story. Will Shinji ever escape his oppressive giant-robot-piloting lifestyle and fulfill his lifelong dream of becoming a ballerina?? I just gotta find out!
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:17 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:The official bloody release date was yesterday, and yet Amazon still has not shipped my copy which I ordered, oh, three weeks ago? What gives, Amazon Dot Com??

I need my copy of Evangelion Two Point Tutu: You Can (Not) Dance, now with additional dance sequences set to the score of Swan Lake and West Side Story. Will Shinji ever escape his oppressive giant-robot-piloting lifestyle and fulfill his lifelong dream of becoming a ballerina?? I just gotta find out!

Are we talkin' 'bout the same damn movie? What the hell are you talking about?

I know it's probably a joke, but stilll... WHAT?!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Alastor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:53 pm

View Original PostShogo-Kun wrote:Are we talkin' 'bout the same damn movie? What the hell are you talking about?

I know it's probably a joke, but stilll... WHAT?!

I think is a joke about those ballet dancer Rei and Asuka figures...?
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:06 pm

I thought it was a reference to Black Swan?

Also: still awaiting my copy to arrive (only a day has passed, but...); hopefully it'll show up tomorrow. I'll be sure to screencap the DVD menus for both discs. :)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

insomniac
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby insomniac » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:54 am

Given how bad the packaging looks, I think I'll wait 3 months for the local version instead of importing the US version.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:25 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I thought it was a reference to Black Swan?

Also: still awaiting my copy to arrive (only a day has passed, but...); hopefully it'll show up tomorrow. I'll be sure to screencap the DVD menus for both discs. :)

The menus aren't that great with 2.22 I like the ones on 1.11 beter
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:39 am

Damn you funi! I knew a Tuesday release was questionable business practice, but, you make us wait until a second Tuesday. :thumbsdown: I hope Mari's voice makes up for it.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:54 am

So, I got an e-mail from amazon yesterday saying that the screwed up my shipping and that my DVD probably won't come in the mail until the 4th of April.

Okay, seriously. Why didn't I just buy this thing at Best Buy for $15? Oh, well. I'm going for the Blu-Ray in a few weeks anyway.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:52 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Go with Rightstuf, people.

:404: :shrug:

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:07 am

View Original PostCombs wrote:Damn you funi! I knew a Tuesday release was questionable business practice, but, you make us wait until a second Tuesday. :thumbsdown: I hope Mari's voice makes up for it.

Tuesday is the industry standard release date.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

SpearofLonginus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby SpearofLonginus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:29 pm

I ordered the Eva blu-ray with 3rd Birthday.. estimated arrival is April 6th :( But free shipping does that. I can wait. ^^

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:16 pm

Ugh, white bits of paint on what should be an ORANGE DVD case just from removing the damn sticker is not cool, Funi. (Is it that hard for there to be an easy-to-remove sticker like with the FLCL DVD? Or even better: put the DVD'S sticker OVER shrink-wrap instead of on the DVD CASE? >_> )

It's really a minor issue, but an annoyance and unprofessional nevertheless.

Going to glance at the DVD menus and post them. At least the booklet is nice (and includes Aoba :kawaii: ).

EDIT: Skimmed through the Extras, all good stuff. Haven't had subtitles problems with my Extras.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Castle
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Castle » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:57 pm

This release has some seriously shitty packaging. It gets worse every time I look at the case.

I went to put in my Eva 2.22 disc back in it's case as I got my Wings of Honneamise BD today (which has like 100000x better packaging than this, although it did/does have an MSRP of $80...) and... more chips on the slipcase. The BD casing's eco casing with the bits cut out of the plastic made a mark in the back of the cover when I pressed the disc back in. The cover is all deformed and wavey looking, like it was printed on the cheapest possible paper ever. There's also a small tear in the manual for some reason, guess it got caught inside the case or something.

Packaging wise, it feels bootleg quality. Maybe even worse. Thankfully the movie/audio quality itself is good I guess.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:02 pm

Packaging issues aside, I love Rebuild's handwriting-style logo. It eschews blocky "sci-fi" type fonts you'd think would be found on stuff like this.

Temjin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Temjin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:26 pm

View Original PostSpearofLonginus wrote:I ordered the Eva blu-ray with 3rd Birthday.. estimated arrival is April 6th :( But free shipping does that. I can wait. ^^

Hey, that's when mine SHIPS. amazon.ca and their inexplicably later release date.

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:18 pm

Y'all must've got jipped because my case has a few chips on the edges which is typical but doesn't have half of the issues I'm hearing.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:48 pm

So I've finally gone through scouring the RA-US Blu-ray for it's technical details.

Video
Contains a clean video track that does not have the Japanese translations burned into the screen. It is offset by 48 frames in the beginning and then adds about 200 frames to the end for authoring credits compared to the RA-JP Blu-ray. All titles are replaced with English only titles. Credits are REALLY FUCKING SLOW and double spaced because Funimation doesn't care about the Japanese crew and seek only to shamelessly self-promote themselves.

Audio
Japanese TrueHD track is 20-bit except for the center track, which is 16-bit. English TrueHD track is 16-bit. A few sound effects at the very beginning opening logos are removed (The Starchild Records logo and EIRIN logo) in both tracks. Why? I have no idea.

Subtitles
A bit cleaner than what I saw in theaters. Was not as wordy. Though they subbed some unnecessary signs, and the background songs are still subbed.

Extras
Originally, I thought that the extras were identical to the RA-JP Blu-ray, but apparently, Funimation does not have the license for Utada Hikaru's Fly Me to the Moon, so the Teaser was not included. Neither was the Yahoo.jp spot. About half of the TV spots were included (run time for Japanese was 2:40, US was about 1:40). They did not organize these, either. Instead, they just lumped them together as one playlist so you have no idea what you're watching. For the "I Would Give You Anything" Scene NOGUCHI ver., the DTS-MA and 2.0 tracks were dropped, thankfully (it's stupid to use DTS-MA in the first place), but why Funimation didn't dub that version is beyond me. All it would have taken was a simply copy paste of the center channel and nobody would have been the wiser. Hell, now that I think about it, I may just do that and see how it turns out. Each of the Omit Scenes was fully subtitled, so I don't know what people were griping about when they said only a portion was subtitled.

makinami
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby makinami » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:01 pm

View Original Postsquall.leonhart wrote:Each of the Omit Scenes was fully subtitled, so I don't know what people were griping about when they said only a portion was subtitled.

You have the Bluray, I have the DVD. This probably has something to do with it.

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:17 pm

I got it on the day it came out at Best Buy. Feels good.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”