Common Misconceptions

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Symion
Embryo

Re: Misconception: The Asuka-Rei-Misato Amalgamation

•      
  •      

Postby Symion » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:14 pm

Impressive response speed, I just finished channel surfing after I posted and there's already a well thought out post. Glad to see the community still alive.

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:It's bizarre as a theory and a thousand times more fucked up than the rest of EoE if you seriously think about its ramifications.

I think its a fitting climax in the bizarre world that is Evangelion to have a question mark left as to who really is Shinji's choice as his "Neo-Eve". Especially after the mental scene of her rejection of him in his own mind.

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Mirroring Yui, I think you mean. There is no look of utter disgust, more a thousand-yard stare. And I don't have any idea what you're getting at with Rei.

I) I tend to use Yui and Rei interchangeably when speaking about the mind of the person. Yui when talking about the figure's ambition and maternal love for Shinji. Rei when speaking about the figure's reservedness and sisterly love for Shinji. Either could suffice for the stroking of the face.
II) I watched the scene while posting and I'm not talking about the look she has throughout the scene, only the look when she looks down into Shinji's face. I should have been more specific.
III)It might be a bit of fan-wank on my part here but even with Asuka's seiyuu speaking the words the choice of words and the tone remind me more of Rei than Asuka

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Compensation for her memories of being injured/visual joke on Anno's part.

Psychologically why choose to resemble that which you hate? Asuka seems more the type to categorically reject ever being in any way like Rei. Though the point about Anno wanting her appearance to resemble Rei at the start of the series is poignant. (See, this kind of back and forth about the situation with points about why Anno would have her bandaged like that are what would be great additions to the entry imho).

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:What? It's Asuka's line spoken by Asuka, written by Asuka's seiyuu, and would make no sense whatsoever coming from either Rei or Misato.

I disagree in terms of the sense of who would have reason to say it. Again: Pardon my fanwank but: The line smack of attributes of all three women. The disgust screams of Asuka, the over-arching observation of human kind is more Misato (similar to her line about the tragedy of everyone involved with GEHIRN, NERV and the EVAs) and the tonality is more Rei-like in word choice.

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Ultimately, what defeats the theory is not the evidence presented in the show - I doubt Anno ever anticipated that anyone would come up with such a weird theory - but the fact that the script refers to the character as Asuka.

Another nail in the coffin that isn't in the entry. Again: I've always been on the fence about the theory but facts like that are ironically what I think should be in the entry to give its status as a Misconception even more weight.

Thanks for the response.
I think, therefore I am.
I know, therefore I once was.
I inspire, therefore I shall always be.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Re: Misconception: The Asuka-Rei-Misato Amalgamation

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:48 pm

View Original PostSymion wrote:I think its a fitting climax in the bizarre world that is Evangelion to have a question mark left as to who really is Shinji's choice as his "Neo-Eve". Especially after the mental scene of her rejection of him in his own mind.

Shinji doesn't get to choose who comes back and who doesn't.

View Original PostSymion wrote:I) I tend to use Yui and Rei interchangeably when speaking about the mind of the person.

But they're not the same person at all.

View Original PostSymion wrote:III)It might be a bit of fan-wank on my part here but even with Asuka's seiyuu speaking the words the choice of words and the tone remind me more of Rei than Asuka

Even more fanwanky than the canonical explanation.

View Original PostSymion wrote:Psychologically why choose to resemble that which you hate? Asuka seems more the type to categorically reject ever being in any way like Rei.

Her injuries are in the same places as Rei's were. I doubt she was thinking about resembling anyone else as much as bolstering her own shattered self-image with anything at hand.

View Original PostSymion wrote:I disagree in terms of the sense of who would have reason to say it. Again: Pardon my fanwank but: The line smack of attributes of all three women. The disgust screams of Asuka, the over-arching observation of human kind is more Misato (similar to her line about the tragedy of everyone involved with GEHIRN, NERV and the EVAs) and the tonality is more Rei-like in word choice.

Asuka makes plenty of observations on the human condition; consider her remarks about why humanity is fighting the Angels in episode 11 - not that "kimochi warui" constitutes that necessarily - and "kimochi warui" is an extremely common phrase. And Asuka has plenty of lines in a sulky/emotionless voice - compare to her monologue at the beginning of episode 24.

View Original PostSymion wrote:Another nail in the coffin that isn't in the entry. Again: I've always been on the fence about the theory but facts like that are ironically what I think should be in the entry to give its status as a Misconception even more weight.

Agreed with you there, but the wiki is in a pretty dire state to be honest - although that's a kind of an overbold thing for me to say given that I don't work on it.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:57 am

There more discussion about this in this old thread (and some dispersed in other ones)

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=1457

spica
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby spica » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:25 am

In reference to the claim that "A.T. Field" is a real-life psychology term:

I have a B.S. in psychology, and I never heard the term "Absolute Terror" used in reference to Autism (or any other mental illness) in any of my abnormal psychology classes. I still have access to academic journal databases through my Alma Mater, and a search of PsycInfo turned up no info regarding the term "Absolute Terror" or any similar terms.

I think this myth has been thoroughly busted, and the entry on the Common Misconceptions page can safely be changed to reflect that academia does not acknowledge the term "Absolute Terror Field."

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:56 am

Well, the wording of the entry made it pretty plain that the rumor had been proven false, but confirmation from someone in the field is always better than whatever we can gather from our searches in Google. I changed the entry to make the point about academia. Thanks!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

spica
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby spica » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:38 pm

There was a request for academic confirmation on the wiki's discussion page. I saw it and felt the need to help. It's nice to finally use my degree for something, even if it is only putting the last nail in the coffin of an ignorant, old Evangelion rumor.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”