My Kinda-Sorta Eva Magnum Opus...

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:05 pm

If you all don't mind me bumping this old topic, this was a terrific read. Thank you for sharing. My experience with Eva seems to have been very similar so far.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks for posting Bomby. :)
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:49 pm

that was beautiful. honestly, watching eva for most people is an enlightening experiance in one way or another. eva is truly a masterpiece, undoubtably the best anime ever. it makes you want to contribute to it, but at the same time leave it pure and untouched. its amazing.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Tokyo-3
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Tokyo-3 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:04 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:It kinda brings to mind The Sopranos

Yeah, this clearly has anything whatsoever to do with Eva in the slightest. That really sounds like something Yojimbo would say. Inspiring essay but too bad you let others interfere with it's content. :facepalm:
Last edited by Tokyo-3 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:18 am

SSAS wrote:eva is truly a masterpiece, undoubtably the best anime ever.

Well, that's a tad subjective. Especially when K-On!! is the best anime ever.

Tokyo-3 wrote:Yeah, this clearly has anything whatsoever to do with Eva in the slightest.

Eva shares a lot of compositional similarities to the great Russian directors Tarkovsky and Eisenstein. This kinda stuff happens, what's your point?
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:05 pm

View Original PostTokyo-3 wrote:Yeah, this clearly has anything whatsoever to do with Eva in the slightest. That really sounds like something Yojimbo would say. Inspiring essay but too bad you let others interfere with it's content. :facepalm:
Wait... what? I have no idea what you're saying here. I wasn't comparing NGE to The Sopranos, I was comparing my writing of this essay to something I heard on The Sopranos. I don't know what you mean by "too bad I let others interfere with its content", which I didn't...
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Tokyo-3
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Tokyo-3 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:56 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:K-On!! is the best anime ever.

That's your opinion but still :facepalm:.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:58 pm

View Original PostTokyo-3 wrote:That's your opinion but still :facepalm:.

EGF is experiencing some sort of an all-time low today because I've witnessed two major failures of noticing irony today. First was with Sep's reaction in music thread and now this. It's ran's post for God's sake!
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Oh fuck you, Oz. Fuck you. The first thing I read after waking up is a horrific dump on Evangelion.

And Jimbo, I teared up.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:40 pm

View Original Postplanet news wrote:Oh fuck you, Oz. Fuck you. The first thing I read after waking up is a horrific dump on Evangelion.
Hmmm?

View Original Postplanet news wrote:And Jimbo, I teared up.
:redface: It's always nice to hear that this little exorcism of mine has effected others as well.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:57 pm

I don't really give a damn that I'm bumping an old topic, y'all can just deal with it.

Jimbo, you summed up my feelings towards Eva a million times better than I ever could and I thank you for it. I never really knew how to describe the change that happened because of Eva, but you (And it seems Anno) already did: rebirth. It's only been 5 months but I already am a completely different person because of it, I've done all the things I wasn't frightened of doing now that Eva showed me my own fears and showed me how meaningless they were, and I've become more and more the person I always wanted to be and whilst I'm still a long way off I at least know I'm in the right direction.

I know you've already had enough embarrassing praise (And I'm sure I'll return to this post tomorrow and be embarrassed too) so I'll just offer one last piece: thank you for reminding me of what it was that made me love Eva in the first place. Thanks for reminding me of what I was and how much better off I am now.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:06 am

It's people like you and posts like yours, liquidus, that makes me glad I chose to write and post this years ago. This thread seems to get bumped once in a blue moon, and I've always grateful to hear what people have to say about what I wrote about my own experience, which was so life-changing. If it wasn't for NGE I certainly wouldn't be where I am now, doing what I do. Like you it forced me to confront my fears and overcome them. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but NGE certainly pushed me into a life where I feel as comfortable as possible in my own skin.

Spud
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Spud » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:59 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Well, Evangelion only had one purpose to begin with

To give gigantic kick on people's asses

I can agree with this
This series has defiantly changed me.
When I first watched it I was expecting your run of the mil robot-beat-em'-up-show. This was shot down in the first episode when Unit-01 got really messed up. At that point (exactly the part my avatar's screen cap was taken) I though "This isn't going to be anywhere close to what I was expecting." Being surprised by it I decided to stick by the series.
Later on in the series it started to present some interesting questions. These questions and my answers caused me to reevaluate my life and the way I deal with others. Throughout the end of the series I was almost a little scared to watch another episode, because I wasn't sure how I would change. From episode 16 on my hands would shake whenever I watched it.
They still do.
�We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.� ~ Carlos Castaneda
"Blessed, truly blessed, are those who have not known devastation " Antigone

I am the Verizon of the desert

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Jimmy, with writings like this, I'm surprised that a blog for yourself isn't set in stone yet
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:37 pm

^ This was kinda a "one-off" for me. I've never written anything quite like it before or since, and because most of my writings nowadays is just film criticism, the EG filmfag Forced Perspective blog is perfectly suitable.

FES
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FES » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:31 pm

Well done, you could have easily flooded your essay with pretentious ramblings similar to a melodramatic teenager, though I feel your aversion of it was exemplary.

Rei Makes You Go Splat
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Rei Makes You Go Splat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:12 pm

Such a fantastic essay, Jimbo. Like you, Evangelion was more than just a piece of art to appreciate from afar, but an emotional tour-de-force that has impacted my life like no other. My sentiments aren't far from yours, you just put them more eloquently than I ever could. Well, what can I say but...

Congratulations! :clap:
Evangelion extends life. Evangelion expands consciousness.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:19 pm

Thanks to both FES and RMYGS for the kind words. :)

shadowcloud1433
Embryo

Re: My Kinda-Sorta Eva Magnum Opus...

•      
  •      

Postby shadowcloud1433 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:09 am

Jimbo - I first read your Magum Opus in 2008, 11 years ago. I experienced NGE for the first time around the same time frame as you. I haven't looked at EvaGeeks since at least 2011 or 2012. Oddly, your essay sprung to mind today (no idea why) and it took me forever to find after some searching. I'm glad I was able to read through it again. I even created an account to comment on it. Unbeknownst to you, your Magum Opus helped me through a very difficult time in 2008 (as did NGE, of course). Even though I don't know you personally and vice versa, I wanted to thank you for helping me, all those years ago.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”