Geektionary

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:45 pm

I agree. One page would make it tidier and easier.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:59 pm

Hmm... Anyway it could be trimmed down to only 2 pages? I somehow can't see all the content fitting on a single page.

Perhaps something along the lines of: Page 1 could be A through P and Page 2 could be Q through Z.

And dear God, I sometimes wonder if I should delete my first-few dozen forum-posts. They're so lame and noobish to read nowadays. >_<
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:27 am

We must all face up our past selves sooner or later. Tempting as it may be to believe we were always this enlightened. Moving on....

I've created an Single page Geektionary test page for peolpe to see how it would work. It uses an alphabetical style table of contents for hopefully easier navigation, and it also seems to load in good time. I would say that the Geektionary is only about as heavy on bandwidth as a single commentary scene.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:06 am

Wow, looks good! I say go for it! :asuka_thumbsup:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:29 pm

I've moved the Geektionary to a single page format. Unfortunately, this looks like links all across the wiki may have to be updated. Remind me to look into a pywikipediabot based automated solution.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Geektionary - Additions, Etc.

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Geektionary is here

I have various updates in mind for this thing, but what I'm most interested in right now are suggestions for additions. Most of the stuff in there is from the AnimeNation days, meaning it's scant on subsequent memetic developments.

So, what needs to be added in order to make the chronicle of our subculture more complete and helpful for newcomers (or just plain amusing)? Here's a shitty start:

Clockiel
Erotic Asphyxiation
Genben
"Kaworu died for your sins"
The Land Before Time
Mayo
Ork Rei
Santa Barb
Tunniel
[s]Vagina [/s]Vulva Palms
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:08 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Here's a shitty start:

It's a nice list. You could probably also add a little bit about the Werewolf Asuka, and perhaps a bit on anything else that people have been asking about recently.
Voluntary Illusion.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:13 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:a bit on anything else that people have been asking about recently.

Did you have anything in mind when you wrote that? :tongue:

I added Werewolf Asuka to the Geektionary earlier today (just needs a pic). Dunno if you saw that.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:22 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Did you have anything in mind when you wrote that? :tongue:

...So I did a quick browse of the boards and here's stuff that I'd like to add as an afterthought:
- FAR/First Ancestral Race (I know it's in the acronym list, but a quick summary wouldn't hurt)
- SIRP / The Shinji Ikari Raising Project (For acronym - also might be worthwhile to mention it in the Fan Service bit)
- The 'Slut Suit' (Shikinami's test plug suit)
- 'moe' (since people sometimes like to bring it up and debate whether or not the franchise has anything that is moe... yeah)
- Puchi Eva (It probably has its own article, but a sentence or two and an ref pic wouldn't hurt)
- Those goddamn Asuka is Hot / Rei is Cold topics, or any other recent Eva-related trends that I might have missed.

Don't forget to add reference pics for Clockiel and Tunniel.
Voluntary Illusion.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

Re: Geektionary - Additions, Etc.

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:09 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Ork Rei

Actually, I think everyone calls the Rei from Shinji and Warhammer 40k Apocalypse!Rei. At least that's the way I hear it.

There's also Terrifying!Rei from Nobody Dies, who has reached memetic status due to her air duct escapes and Animaniacs style of thought. She also popularized Reip as a verb.

In addition, there should perhaps be a mention of the Spacebattles forum, as a surprising amount of Evangelion content is hosted there. Not to mention the fact that they've spawned a whole new sequence of memes and fans of the series.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:38 am

EvangelionFan: I don't think I'm qualified to write the entry on "moe"... Want to give it a shot?

View Original PostCody MacArthur Fett wrote:Actually, I think everyone calls the Rei from Shinji and Warhammer 40k Apocalypse!Rei. At least that's the way I hear it.

I was actually referring to the Ork Rei from one of MaggotMaster's classic posts (Ursus' sig linked to it last I checked). I don't know if she's related to the one from the fanfic.

The other stuff you mention (aside from Rei Puns, which deserve a Geektionary entry) would probably be better qualified for inclusion in one of those neglected/not-yet-created pages on fan works. It'd be great if you could add what you know to them.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Category:Fandom

Currently, most of those link to Geektionary entries, but the intention was to have dedicated pages for most of them. I absolutely encourage you and/or anyone else to create pages on Doujinshi, Fan art, and Fanfiction, and to expand/update Fan parodies and Online communities.

If you need an account, just give the word.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:52 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:- 'moe' (since people sometimes like to bring it up and debate whether or not the franchise has anything that is moe... yeah)

I don't see much Evageeks relation here. This seems more like channer territory. Besides, moe is one of those terms that has become impossible to define, much like hipster.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:00 am

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:I don't see much Evageeks relation here. This seems more like channer territory. Besides, moe is one of those terms that has become impossible to define, much like hipster.

Fair enough, don't worry about it then. :)
Voluntary Illusion.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:05 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:EvangelionFan: I don't think I'm qualified to write the entry on "moe"... Want to give it a shot?

I was actually referring to the Ork Rei from one of MaggotMaster's classic posts (Ursus' sig linked to it last I checked). I don't know if she's related to the one from the fanfic.

The other stuff you mention (aside from Rei Puns, which deserve a Geektionary entry) would probably be better qualified for inclusion in one of those neglected/not-yet-created pages on fan works. It'd be great if you could add what you know to them.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Category:Fandom

Currently, most of those link to Geektionary entries, but the intention was to have dedicated pages for most of them. I absolutely encourage you and/or anyone else to create pages on Doujinshi, Fan art, and Fanfiction, and to expand/update Fan parodies and Online communities.

If you need an account, just give the word.

I actually have an account from back when I was updating the page on personal weapons (which should be renamed "Small Arms"). However, I do not know how to add pictures or new pages, so my ability to edit is sort of limited.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:24 am

I've PMed you with instructions, Cody.

And don't hesitate to lather up the poor neglected wiki with your love, too, EvangelionFan! <3
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”