Wiki Policies and Guidelines

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:20 am

_ SHE
x IT

The pronoun controversy should be explained somewhere, though. Perhaps the old Gender page should be retooled a bit, so that it would answer any newbie questions like this:

Q: I've been reading the forum archives, and I've encountered some pretty strange pronoun usages, like some people calling Ramiel a "she". Do the Angels have genders? And what is this strange pronoun "ve"?

In other words, one page could serve as "gender bullshit central".

majlund
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby majlund » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:16 am

_ SHE
X IT

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:28 am

Going by the "bipolar" voting system, it's currently 0:4 (including me). I think I have "a pretty good idea" of what the outcome will be, but it's not over until it's over. Cast your ballot today! For great justice!

Dr. Nick wrote:The pronoun controversy should be explained somewhere, though. Perhaps the old Gender page should be retooled a bit

Good idea, though it would probably be best to keep to keep the retarded Angel "M/F/O?" stuff separate and make its semi-satirical nature more obvious -- I've seen one too many newbies fall prey to it (= take it 100% serious) over the years. So basically, we'd have:

(1) A page addressing this whole "sex/gender/wtf?" mess in a semi-serious manner. Would serve as a basic primer on the issues concerning Evas, Seeds, and Angels and how fans may or may not regard them, without going too deep into some of the fanfaggotry that can be involved ("lol even if Seeds can reproduce asexually that doesn't mean they aren't biologically female, haven't you ever met whiptail lizards or aphids, lamers").

(2) The pseudo-satire page on "if the Angels had sexes, what would they be...?", revised to compensate for its obvious antiquity. There's currently no mention of that evil Angel-XX franchise, for one thing. And much as I hate to bring it up to you directly, because the thought still raises my blood pressure for some reason, the all-terrible fem-Kaworu escapes mention as well. (In case you still hold that strong stigma against it: these days fem-Kaworu is, don't ask me how, more or less a retarded Godwin's Law-esque meme, and totally not the manically-proposed "theory" that you came to initially know.)

EDITS: For added clarity.
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:15 am

Reichu wrote:(In case you still hold that strong stigma against it: these days fem-Kaworu is, don't ask me how, more or less a retarded Godwin's Law-esque meme, and totally not the manically-proposed "theory" that you came to initially know.)

I've noticed that. And I'm too old and indifferent to care about it anyway. What's currently on the Radioactive Waste page seems like a good summary to me.

So, if we have these three pages
1. mostly-serious NPOV gender page
2. Angel gender "omake" page
3. Radioactive Waste

are they enough to contain all aspects of the gender issue?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:41 am

_SHE
XIT

I think those three pages will do. Any more would be rather excessive.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:44 am

My vote:

X_ SHE
_ IT

What can I say, I'm used to it and at least the Eva/SoL being female makes sense to me. :shrug: The Angels I'd have no problem being called "it" but majority rules.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:29 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:I've noticed that. And I'm too old and indifferent to care about it anyway.

Heh, I know the feeling.

So, if we have these three pages ... are they enough to contain all aspects of the gender issue?

For our purposes now, at least. The female/mother themes and symbolism in the show deserve analysis pages at some point, but it's not entirely the same thing. I guess.

I scribbled out some stuff for a general page addressing the whole sex/gender thing, and it occurs to me that this might be a good opportunity to introduce the first original "essay" to the site. The subject just kind of lends itself to essay format, plus it involves some issues I'm a huge sucker for and could do some nice writing on.

The overview of “pronoun usage in the fandom and pros/cons” would be there, natch. However, I also think that there is value in exploring some of the closely interwoven, at times inseparable issues. For example, the role that English’s limitations and socio-lingual considerations have played in generating this “dilemma” in the first place, and contrasting it with, say, Japanese, where arguing about this stuff just doesn’t seem to have occurred to people. (Unless I simply failed to Google the right combinations of keywords when searching for equivalent discussions in the Japanese fandom, which I suppose is possible…)

You don't need to worry about me writing a book -- it would all be structured and build up to its points deliberately. But, for all the ADD kids who find even that too much, there would be a "tl;dr" abstract at the beginning.

SSD wrote:What can I say, I'm used to it and at least the Eva/SoL being female makes sense to me.

I'm not certain that everyone who voted "it" actually goes that route, left to their own devices. (In fact, I'm certain that not all of them do.) This is less about personal preference and more about what makes good policy for a community-run site. At least, that's the message I hoped to get across by raising a white flag and relinquishing my own infamous and divisive sensibilities.

I do appreciate your honesty. I guess I just want my own motivations to be clear.
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Reichu wrote:This is less about personal preference and more about what makes good policy for a community-run site.

Agreed. 'It' is more sensible as a general policy.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:23 pm

Adam, Lilith and Evas = she

Angels = it

I won't use "ve" under any circumstances, as it is not a legitimate part of the English language.

Re Capitalization: My concern is that if we don't capitalize title pages properly people will think that we are not entirely literate.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:23 pm

Reichu wrote:I do appreciate your honesty. I guess I just want my own motivations to be clear.

Glad to hear it and perfectly understandable.

thewayneiac wrote:Adam, Lilith and Evas = she

Angels = it

How I feel, and what I was trying to say if I didn't make it clear earlier.

With "ve", I have no problem using it in the forums if nothing else.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:01 pm

_ SHE
X IT

Angels, Adam, Lilith and the Evas. And I have always considered "ve" very unfriendly to newbies and visitors as it is an invented pronoun. I'd use something like S/he instead.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:53 am

Currently 2:7. Should we keep going...?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:11 am

Seems like a pretty set trend to me. Your call.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:45 pm

I don't really expect any change at this point, but I'll leave it open for new votes until Monday. Then it gets officially implemented.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:05 pm

I didn't vote because it didn't matter to me either way. I went ahead and changed the Adam and Lilith pages to see how they read. Everyone should peruse through them to see if they like the "she" -> "it" and "her" -> "its" changes.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:59 pm

How does this change affect the commentary? In just the last 2 days I've pasted several instances of Unit-01 being called "she". Do I leave in the shes because it's the commentary? Change them in the script but leave them in the comments? :???:
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:07 pm

I think we should let the Evas remain "she" in the commentary pages. Looks like there's another rule modification to make. "It" remains for the wiki pages proper but not the commentary.

Edit: Never mind...
Last edited by UrsusArctos on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:25 pm

Wayne, feel free to change any instances of "she" you see in my script translations. Don't worry about the cuts you've already finished; you can just start implementing the policy with the cuts you're putting up now. I'll take care of the others when I do my cleanup operation.

The non-NPOV comments, naturally, don't get touched.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:21 pm

(1)
While working on some Wiki updates, it occurred to me that, being as NME Angels still don't officially have names, they should be referred to by ordinal. E.g., even though 9th Angel is shelved on the Bardiel page -- due to being essentially the same thing -- when talking about the thing in Eva 2.0, "9th Angel" should be used, not "Bardiel".

(2)
In the wake of "Unit ##" being used in the English dialogue in 2.XX, my stupid old guideline about Evangelion designations can probably be shot dead for something more lax. Hence, the shorthand formulations "Unit ##", "Unit-##", etc., would also be acceptable, although a single article should stick to one or the other.

(3)
See last item here for reason to modify Asuka's westernized name orders to "Asuka Soryu Langley" and "Asuka Shikinami Langley".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”