[LAEM] Definitely on?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Maffew
Embryo

Definitely on?

Postby Maffew » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:59 am

Just wondering if this film is 100% still 'on', because wasn't the live-action Akira film at a similar stage to this? And that ended up cancelled.
Any thoughts?

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby tinmeigut » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:21 am

Well no one can be sure... So don't give it too much aniticipation... But seeing the biological designs of the Evas... I don't know if I should have much anticipation.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Maffew
Embryo

Postby Maffew » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:41 am

hallemotherfuckinglujah!
Finally someone else on a damn forum isn't optimistic about the film! I knew if I searched hard enough I'd find one.
I detest CSI:Miami, but right now I don't give a fuck.
What are your opinions then?
Last edited by Maffew on Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:18 am

Maffew wrote:Finally someone else on a damn forum isn't optimistic about the film!

How long have you been searching, because there's nothing but unoptomistic people, at least on Eva forums.

And as to whether it's on or not, Matt Greenfield of ADV, who is a producer claims that it is on, but I think the point where we can officially say that it is on is sometime between a director signing on and the project getting greenlighted. That hasn't happened yet, so I'm hiesitant to say that the project is on.

Possibility of happening, certainly. Certainty of happening, unconclusive.

Maffew
Embryo

Postby Maffew » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:46 am

I've spent a few weeks. Not THAT long, but still.
Shit, I don't know what to say now.
What's your opinion of it?

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby tinmeigut » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:54 am

Let's not talk about CSI here, let's talk Eva. Well if Evangelion will go up to Hollywood I'm certainly very happy. But if the series will be changed to such a thing that hardly resembles Eva then I'd rather the movie not be done, let the good image of Evangelion be preserved. But after seeing the drawing of the project it seems it's not that bad, but not as good as I think it would be. Why couldn't they just let the Evas be what they look like now? The present Evas are the best looking...
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Kaysow » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:15 am

Eva and Hollywood just don't mix. It's not that I don't want them too, just that IF Eva goes through the Hollywood Apparatus, it most certainly won't BE Eva anymore.

Nevertheless, I'm still eager to see how it turns out. No way is the Live Action version gonna belittle the original anyway.

Not like FFVII:AC. That killed FFVII, as it finally became crystal clear to me what a fucking moron Tetsuya Nomura really is.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:22 am

Kaysow wrote:Not like FFVII:AC. That killed FFVII, as it finally became crystal clear to me what a fucking moron Tetsuya Nomura really is.

Oh, oh god. That.... hurts. Oh, my Advent Children... it's ok. He didn't mean it. *pet pet*

Maffew
Embryo

Postby Maffew » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:23 am

Kaysow wrote:Eva and Hollywood just don't mix. It's not that I don't want them too, just that IF Eva goes through the Hollywood Apparatus, it most certainly won't BE Eva anymore.

Nevertheless, I'm still eager to see how it turns out. No way is the Live Action version gonna belittle the original anyway.

Not like FFVII:AC. That killed FFVII, as it finally became crystal clear to me what a fucking moron Tetsuya Nomura really is.

I'm intriqued. Why did you think FFVII:AC killed FFVII?
(Not wanting to change the subject at all, it's just everybody I've spoken to fawns over it. To hear a different view is something special.)

Back to NGE: Nearly fully agree with your beliefs, but I have the rather odd belief that having a butchered version of NGE shown to a wide audience will not do NGE any good.
But that's just me.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Kaysow » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:08 am

It probably won't, but I'm just being selfish and wanting to see it anyway =)

*Inhale*
Well, it's not that I wasn't entertained by Advent Children. You wouldn't find a bigger FFVII fan than me before this. Only I had grown more and more jaded with Final Fantasy becoming less and less relatable with every game I played. And seeing how Tetsuya Nomura, whom I had once regarded as being the creative force behind it all, kept getting more and more freedom to roam about.
And so, as they return to their former masterpiece to bring new life into it, it all turns to shit. For a number of reasons;

1: Square(Enix) have no idea who their target audience is. They can try and woe FFXI kids into liking it, or they can try and appeal to fans of the original (whom by now are most likely all well past 20).
They chose both, and it's all messed up.

2: Square have no idea about the concept of "overkill". Apparently, noone taught them that "LESS IS MORE". I know I'm not the only one who, by the time Sephiroth showed, couldn't care less about the flashy Dragonballesque action and effects. I am currently watching my lil' bro going through the Japanese version of Dirge of Cerberus, and it just goes on like that. You wouldn't believe how many times Vincent strikes poses and looks all badass, the cape bellowing in the wind, and you're generally too fed up to care how sweet it's all supposed to look.

3: And this is the most devestating of all;
After all this time, we can finally see how the minds that made FFVII works. And it's not a pretty sight.
If Tetsuya Nomura, Yoshinori Kitase and the rest of the crew made FFVII great, then how the fuck can they possibly have had a hand in this incoherent waste of space?

I understand that Advent Children is supposed to be nothing but eyecandy, but what story they have put into it just makes me sad. Coupled with what they've been up to since their last good game (in 1999), it's painfully obvious that the debating and overanalyzing that the fans have been doing for this past near-decade was all horribly redundant.
They didn't answered all the questions, and that's a good thing. But now that we see what they're capable of, they have rendered all questions utterly obsolete.

I guess that's why I hate AC. It's not terrible, except for the fact that it's Final Fantasy VII, which I have oh-so adored for the longest time now.
It didn't push the original game down from #1 on my Top 10 Games Ever list, there's just too much history between myself and it.
But I can't see myself ever playing it again, and for that, I can thank The Compilation of FFVII.

That was last summer, I think. Then, almost a year later, Eva comes along and fills the void.

Maffew
Embryo

Postby Maffew » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:42 am

Good reasons. I didn't have much of a connection to FFVII like a lot of people did, because I was poor (Oh woe is me) and couldn't afford it when it came out. But it was nice to read your thoughts.

Getting back to NGE, do you not think that maybe the Live-action film will do to NGE what AC did to FFVII?

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Kaysow » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:29 pm

Travesties like this can only happen if the original crew themselves would be involved, making asses of themselves. So a live action, or an elusive anime sequel could both be devestating, as long as Anno himself would be involved in the ruining. Now that different people are doing the adaption, it'll hopefully not affect fans of the anime as strongly.

Maybe others will feel differently, and maybe I will too :? We'll see when it happens. Right now tho, I'm not expecting anything, but hoping it'll be both faithful and crazy awesome :)

Maffew
Embryo

Postby Maffew » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:21 pm

Yeah, we'll just have to wait.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

Postby SEELE 08 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:24 pm

2: Square have no idea about the concept of "overkill". Apparently, noone taught them that "LESS IS MORE". I know I'm not the only one who, by the time Sephiroth showed, couldn't care less about the flashy Dragonballesque action and effects. I am currently watching my lil' bro going through the Japanese version of Dirge of Cerberus, and it just goes on like that. You wouldn't believe how many times Vincent strikes poses and looks all badass, the cape bellowing in the wind, and you're generally too fed up to care how sweet it's all supposed to look.

Welcome to FFX-2. While I enjoyed the gameplay and how pretty things were....it was overkill. But I still love Yuna....but the character designs are getting over the top these days. Tidus's costume came off as moronic (as did his character) and Va'an just looks like Meg Ryan for crying out loud and Ashe's skirt is so short if she moves her ass will show. They need to back down on character design....except for Auron....mmm Auron.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Maffew
Embryo

Postby Maffew » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:16 pm

SEELE 08 wrote:

Welcome to FFX-2. While I enjoyed the gameplay and how pretty things were....it was overkill. But I still love Yuna....but the character designs are getting over the top these days. Tidus's costume came off as moronic (as did his character) and Va'an just looks like Meg Ryan for crying out loud and Ashe's skirt is so short if she moves her ass will show. They need to back down on character design....except for Auron....mmm Auron.

Except he wasn't in FFX-2, was he? Bugger.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Kaysow » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:58 pm

Although I understand the Japanese fascination with bishonen (aka. girly men), Nomura spares NOONE. Cloud got the feminine treatment for AC, Vaan is downright bangable, and from what I've seen of FFXII, even the badasses look androgynous.

I simply cannot understand why this guy is allowed to roam free like this.

Ah, yes. Auron :) The best thing to come along since FFVIII.

You can hear him cheering you on during the final battle. That's about it, I think.

Satsume
Embryo

Postby Satsume » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:13 pm

Wiki wrote:Greenfield says they don't want to make it for profit, but because they want to do it, and they want to do it right, and do it justice in the same way that Lord of the Rings did.

I'm looking forward to the live action movie. I can hardly wait to see what it's going to be like! If it's good, then that'll be great! If it's not, then it's not that big of a deal. It'll be fun just seeing what Hollywood will come up with. I mean, it's Eva! With real people! Even that simple idea gets me excited!

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”