Movies [Death, Death(true), Death(true)²]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:17 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:>I know they are
This knowledge, is there a link to its source?

What, that there are people that collect old film reels? It's not like all those film prints get destroyed or retrieved by the publisher. The Senator Theater in Baltimore shut down last year, and in an effort to try to raise money to keep it in business, they had a huge sale on stuff they had in storage. There were tons of posters, stand-ups, and even some trailers and entire films on reels.

People collect film prints. We need to find one of these people that has a film print of Death & Rebirth, amongst others. I imagine it will be a tall order, but it is possible.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:23 pm

>Insanity and paranoia
Last edited by Clover on Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:18 pm

I do recall coming across a version of Death that still had the five minute intermission. It was dubbed, though, so it probably wasn't really the theatrical version. I haven't been able to find it since.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:44 am

Just wanted to let you all know that I just now won an Yahoo.jp auction for the solo "Death and Rebirth" disc (GDVD-008) from the 3rd "Second Impact Box" set (GDVD-012), so I'll be able to verify first-hand the video contents whenever I get it in from J.I.G.S.'s auction proxy service...

Based on my research, this disc should be the same as the D+R disc in the KIBA-105 set (even the disc art is identical with the "Disc 1" logo on the left side) and since the EoE disc in that set doesn't have any rare content that hasn't been duplicated elsewhere in US sets, I think I came out quite well @ 610 JPY (before the proxy fees and shipping, of course) instead of the 4000 JPY that the KIBA-105/6 set goes for lately...

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/143398571

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:29 pm

I have the KIBA-105 set. TBH I wasn’t yet able to pinpoint any significant differences between Rebirth and the corresponding part of 25' (aside from the obvious such as the music in the last scene of Rebirth) or the European release of D&R... but I only watched it once so far.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:21 pm

View Original PostLiLi wrote:I have the KIBA-105 set. TBH I wasn’t yet able to pinpoint any significant differences between Rebirth and the corresponding part of 25' (aside from the obvious such as the music in the last scene of Rebirth) or the European release of D&R... but I only watched it once so far.
You haven't ripped an iso yet? Shameful. As for svenge, I would very much like to get my hands on an iso of the disc.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:23 pm

View Original PostLiLi wrote:I have the KIBA-105 set. TBH I wasn’t yet able to pinpoint any significant differences between Rebirth and the corresponding part of 25' (aside from the obvious such as the music in the last scene of Rebirth) or the European release of D&R... but I only watched it once so far.

Here's a breakdown of the differences: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Rebirth_vs._Episode_25%27
There's nothing too groundbreaking, but it's interesting from a completist's point of view. I've wanted a proper DVD of Rebirth (and NOT the Air cut-down that Manga US did) for a while now, and I finally got my chance. Hopefully I'll receive it mid-January...

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:54 am

View Original PostClover wrote:You haven't ripped an iso yet? Shameful.

I can't even download anime, let alone upload something like that.

svenge: Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I guess it's possible the domestic European version I had wasn't mangled the same way the American one was though...
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:18 am

View Original PostLiLi wrote:svenge: Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I guess it's possible the domestic European version I had wasn't mangled the same way the American one was though...

Good luck with that. Please note that the times given in the comparison are for the NTSC versions (US/Japan) and since the European DVDs are in PAL format, they run 4% faster (i.e. 2 minutes of PAL footage = 2 min 5 sec of NTSC footage.)

distopia
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby distopia » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:30 am

Hi everybody,

i've got a question for you: has death(true) ever been shown in theaters?

i was reading this wiki page ( http://wiki.evageeks.org/Death ) and afaik death(true) was only shown on wowow in association with rebirth.

i googled the web and this forum and i didn't find another source about a death(true) theatrical release without rebirth too.

if there was such a release, there should be a Japanese release date and a theatrical release poster, but i didn't find them.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:40 pm

As far as I've ever been able to find out, the original version of "Death" was shown in theaters in March 1997 in "Death + Rebirth", while "Death(True)²" was shown w/ EoE as "Revival of Evangelion" in March 1998.

Death(True) was only ever released on WOWOW satellite TV in January 1998, which makes sense as it was a premium service, and Death (in any format) hadn't made it on home video yet (and hadn't been exhibited theatrically since the original D+R run) so Gainax had the luxury of re-editing things without leaving too permanant a record. It would also explain why there's no posters or other promotional material extant for that version.

distopia
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby distopia » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:59 am

View Original Postsvenge wrote:As far as I've ever been able to find out, the original version of "Death" was shown in theaters in March 1997 in "Death + Rebirth", while "Death(True)²" was shown w/ EoE as "Revival of Evangelion" in March 1998.

Death(True) was only ever released on WOWOW satellite TV in January 1998, which makes sense as it was a premium service, and Death (in any format) hadn't made it on home video yet (and hadn't been exhibited theatrically since the original D+R run) so Gainax had the luxury of re-editing things without leaving too permanant a record. It would also explain why there's no posters or other promotional material extant for that version.

Yes, I wanted to know if i was right, and you confirmed me so.

So this wiki entry
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Death wrote:There was a second theatrical version shown in theatres, without Rebirth

cannot be proved because there is no evidence about it.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:57 am

I've never heard of a solo presentation of "Death" (just "Death+Rebirth" and then "Revival of Evangelion" [Death and EoE together]) but my lack of knowledge hardly proves that it never happened. The year 1997 was a long time ago, and the internet was hardly prevalent at that point; even if it did happen, who's to say that information was ever put on a webpage or Usenet conversation, let alone that having that data survive to this day?

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:52 am

View Original Postsvenge wrote: The year 1997 was a long time ago, and the internet was hardly prevalent at that point; even if it did happen, who's to say that information was ever put on a webpage or Usenet conversation, let alone that having that data survive to this day?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_lIv-0-CXQ&feature=related
45 seconds in. Information is immortal. You just have to know where to look. End of Evangelion shows times from 13 years ago. 9 AM, 11 AM, 1 PM, 3, 5, 7, and 9 PM. Dig and you can find anything.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Original Death

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:48 pm

Was there any release of the original Death ever? I'm looking at my lists and none seem to have it, yet Studio Sokodei somehow got their hands on it and I want to know how they got it. Every DVD and rip i find is the (true)2 version. Were there any rips of (true) for that matter?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Original Death

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:27 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:...none seem to have it, yet Studio Sokodei somehow got their hands on it and I want to know how they got it.

I am fairly certain you are mistaken. I don't know where the VHS fansubs that they used for the original version originated from, but I know for a fact that the ReDux version was created from the Japanese renewal release.

Also, re-read this thread in full, there's similar discussion from very recently that you might be interested in.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Re: Original Death

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:39 pm

I also went through their webpage, and they mentioned that their original ReDeath version from 2000 was based off of a VHS fansub. The KIVA-9401 VHS Movie Box Set [which like the LD version had Death(True)²] was released on 12/23/1998, so there was plenty of time for it to hit the fansub circuit and be used in their project. Their site never said which cut of Death was used, so Occam's Razor would indicate it's not the original theatrical cut since it would be the hardest to obtain as a source for the original fansubber.

shito
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shito » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:47 pm

There must be a copy of the TV broadcasted Death(True) somewhere. I'm not completely sure but I believe the first time I saw Death and Rebirth, it must have been this version, borrowed it in bad quality VHS from some guys I knew, I specifically remember at some point an icon of what seemed a TV channel logo appeared in one of the upper corners of the screen, so it was probably recorded from TV. I can't remember what the logo looked like, though... and also can't remember much about the video itself. The animated parts with the children playing their instruments were there... but I'm not sure about the newly added animation scenes, I think there were some, not sure if all that made into True^2.
The VHS I had contained chinese subtitles, I specifically remember them being chinese, no hiragana or katakana to be seen. I don't think Death and Rebirth was broadcasted in chinese TV?... probably it was recorded from WoWoW, and then fansubbed by chinese fans, and somehow I got a copy of that VHS. Sadly I was dumb enough not to make a copy of it for myself.. I thought the quality was so bad I shouldn't bother and wait for a better copy.
death and

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:21 am

View Original Postshito wrote:TL;Read Anyway
Do you know if the copy you watched still exists?

shito
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shito » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:29 am

No, lost contact with all of those people about a decade ago. But there must be more people out there having the same video I watched... the thing is that probably the only way to get it is someone to rip the VHS, we know nobody does this if there's a DVD available to make the rip from.
By the way, i was reading, it seems Death(True) contains even less footage than the original Death from the theatres (they cut-off the director's cut scenes). I remember the video I watched started with the 2nd impact hidden camera scene; which was taken from ep. 21 DC... so maybe what I watched was just Death(True)^2 and the fansubbers just added some logo in it, that could be, too... definitely looked like a TV channel logo, though, it was modest and small, usually fansubbers spam their name and homepages all over the screen. Maybe Death(true) contained *some* DC scenes? such as the 2nd impact scene?.. I can't imagine Death starting any other way than that.
death and

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”