Ayanami Raising Project - Nintendo DS

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:18 pm

I love to play Ayanami Raising Project, but I can't read Japanese, so whatever
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Fredrick2003
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fredrick2003 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:42 pm

GasmaskAvenger wrote:I love to play Ayanami Raising Project, but I can't read Japanese, so whatever

This is always the case for me.

One of these days I really need to just buckle down and learn Japanese. I've said this before but I keep giving up.

It would be really nice if they would release some of these games in English though, there is definitely a market.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:44 pm

I have Ayanami Raising Project with Asuka Supplementary Project on the Nintendo DS. Since I can't read Japanese, I've stumbled through the game with the assistance of various walkthroughs and faqs. Although it is my first experience with title I was aware that it was a port of the Playstation 2 version. Upon first starting it up I was surprised to see that this version plays with the visuals aligned ninety degrees clockwise - to see it upright I needed to hold my DS with the right side facing upwards: unfolded, the normal screen is to the left and the touch screen to the right. Aside from three or four skips in the battle cut scenes, my experience with the game was smooth. I encountered no issues with using the stylus on the touch screen as the port was prepared with its use in mind – interactivity and dialogue is kept on the touch screen. The main screen is used primarily for imagery, while special event images (for example, the Snow White play) are spread across the two screens - it’s unfortunate as for the images that this didn't suit, the immersion and atmosphere of the game took a hit.

Before I talk about my actual experiences as San'i, I'd like to make some notes for those of who also have the PS2 or the DS version:
- Unlocking Asuka is fairly simple: send Ayanami to school on the 3rd day of the 7th Month (3/7) and you'll be treated to a screen fill of Asuka introducing herself to Rei and Shinji.
- To pass the first test, I think Rei/Asuka will need their intelligence and knowledge stats above one hundred (naturally this means Asuka, as a latecomer, will fail and take supplementary lessons). The pass mark for second and third test might be 150 and 200 respectively.
^It's worth noting that although you'll get images of Rei/Asuka swimming, the strength and athletic stats do not count towards whether they pass or fail (as far as I can tell).
- Increasing Rei/Asuka's Strength stat early in the game is useful as the higher this stat is, the higher the fatigue bar fill up without Rei/Asuka becoming overworked.
^It's a good alternative to spending your budget on salads and milkshakes - though I must say, the rare screen fill event where Rei happily eats the ice cream is not to be missed
- Although maxing out Rei/Asuka's pheromone stat increases the likelihood of San'i acquiring their affection, it's ultimately up to a secret love stat. I'm not sure which events/purchases are associated with this stat, but it's reasonable to assume that someone with a good understanding of Japanese could figure it out from the games' dialogue.
^That said, it's possible for either of the girls to marry San'i after the credits even if they weren't affectionate for him beforehand. I'd say your best chance of Rei marrying San'i is to have her affectionate before the 16th, and to ask the correct questions when San'i tries to restore her memory. I'm not sure about Asuka since she doesn't have a sequence like that, but my hunch is that unless Asuka acknowledges Kyoko (unsure of how this is triggered, it comes with an image of Asuka sitting infront of Unit 02) you'll have no chance at those wedding bells.
- I think it's possible that if Rei was affectionate for San'i before the 16th Angel and the first of the two 3I outcomes occurs (Rei/Lillith), San'i will see an image of Rei before he is tanged. I haven't unlocked this ending, it's a speculation of mine based on this image.
- For the Evageeks Wiki folks out there, the credits music for the DS version is not Fly Me to the Moon, but Refrain of Soul by Yoko Takahashi.

First Playthrough with Rei
Okay so this was pretty much a test run for me. At the time I was focusing on maxing out Rei's pheromone stat, as I didn't realise the importance of other stats such as social skill and empathy. It was all okay up until I realised that despite Rei's neverending blush I wasn't getting some of the events I should have (e.g., Rei spending Christmas with San'i). I continued keeping Rei happy, unfortunately this approach made Rei into a maid. Plus no marriage. I was peeved.

Second Playthrough with Rei
I learnt from my mistakes and began to pay more attention to Rei's social and empathy stats - since I also wanted her to pursue something academic, I made her education my top priority. Of course I also wanted Rei to be content, so most of my budget ended up being spent on that. I managed to get her social stat over 200 before the play, so she played the Queen/Witch in Snow White. I wasn't able to get the Christmas event this time either - it isn't related solely to the secret love stat, clearly I didn't meet all the criteria. I was surprised shortly before/after Valentines (and another batch of home made chocolate, mmm) to see that Rei was blushing. This was good, but there was an obstacle: since I can't read Japanese, I needed to trial and error my way through restoring her memory. It took a couple of tries but I ended up getting to the second part where she hugs San'i and cries, but not the part where she looks up at him and smiles. This time I was satisfied to see Rei turn out as a scientist, though still no marriage. I was somewhat peeved.

First Playthrough with Asuka
Ah yes, the fiery redhead. I figured I'd take the same approach as before; focusing on her intelligence while ensuring that she was social and all that. It began to become interesting when Asuka went out to the Cultural festival with San'i. I continued to sail along smoothly until out of the nowhere, Asuka spends Christmas with San'i, hands him a present, dances with him and kisses him. What? She wasn't showing any affection for San'i, and I wasn't even trying to gain her affection - something strange was going on here. It continued along a natural pace, and it was clear by the bought chocolate at Valentines that Asuka wasn't interested in San'i - though I couldn't tell if she was interested in anyone else either. Skip ahead to the end and she of course survives the Harpies and 3I is averted (I'm not sure - I should learn to read Japanese). As it turned out Asuka became an Academic professor or something, so I was quite pleased! Then suddenly I'm treated to an event image of Asuka marrying San'i. What? Why? I couldn't believe it. I wasn't even trying like I was with Rei. I'm still baffled by this today.

Second Playthrough with Asuka
I thought I'd take another approach and try to have Asuka come out as a singer or something. I kept to a very balanced schedule. I was surprised to see Asuka begin to blush shortly before Christmas. I was expecting the christmas event, only it never happened. Asuka got San'i bought chocolate again, but I got something like three love letters from Asuka in the course of the game. This time I don't think I completed the Asuka/Kyoko arc, because at the end of the game I was treated to nothing but an image of Kaji walking along with Asuka on his arm. Pfft, Kaji.

Overall I think if I'm to fully experience Ayanami Raising Project with Asuka Supplementary Project I should learn to read Japanese. Someone might suggest acquiring the PS2 version for better visuals, while I've considered this I'd only feel comfortable playing it when I'm by myself. Y'know, cause... parents.
Voluntary Illusion.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:13 pm

San'i, first time I heard that. How's the original written?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Aaaaand... I shouldn't have bought a DSi.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:24 pm

Does anyone know if this game will work on a US DSi? I've only got a DSi, and apparently games with "DSi enhanced features" are region locked now. So, if RARP doesn't have any DSi features(was it released before the DSi?) then it should work. I'd like to know before I spend $60 to import it, though.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Re: Aaaaand... I shouldn't have bought a DSi.

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:50 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:Does anyone know if this game will work on a US DSi? I've only got a DSi, and apparently games with "DSi enhanced features" are region locked now. So, if RARP doesn't have any DSi features(was it released before the DSi?) then it should work. I'd like to know before I spend $60 to import it, though.

The game has been released before the DSi (the DSi has been released in Japan in 1 November 2008, this game has been released in 28 August 2008) so probably you should be able to play it but I can't confirm it since I don' own a DS (any version) and I've played this version of the game just once (on an emulator) for each character.
I'm not a great fan of this kind of game (à la Princess Maker), they give me a mixed impression, yet it's a shame that it hasn't been ported to the PSP (yet), it has received tons of portings and the PSP itself received almost all recent EVA games except this one (GoS SV, GoS2nd, Secret of Evangelion, Evangelion 2 and so on) and Puchi EVA.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Late reply is late, but you get points for trying.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:49 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:The game has been released before the DSi (the DSi has been released in Japan in 1 November 2008, this game has been released in 28 August 2008) so probably you should be able to play it but I can't confirm it since I don' own a DS (any version) and I've played this version of the game just once (on an emulator) for each character.
I'm not a great fan of this kind of game (à la Princess Maker), they give me a mixed impression, yet it's a shame that it hasn't been ported to the PSP (yet), it has received tons of portings and the PSP itself received almost all recent EVA games except this one (GoS SV, GoS2nd, Secret of Evangelion, Evangelion 2 and so on) and Puchi EVA.

Yeah, it seems like it should work. Doesn't really matter since I've had to commandeer my sister's DSlite in order to play Pokemon Black, so... yeah. I'll probably get this after I learn some kanji, just to have an Eva game(I still don't have a PSP. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a region-free PSP2).

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Re: Late reply is late, but you get points for trying.

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:18 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:(I still don't have a PSP. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a region-free PSP2).

The PSP is region free for the games, do you hope that it'll be both region free and retro-compatible with PSP games? It'd be weird that it's not region free, the PS3 is region free as well and in the end it's Nintendo that introduced region lock in videogames and they ended up introducing it in the handheld market as well...
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:48 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:The PSP is region free for the games, do you hope that it'll be both region free and retro-compatible with PSP games?

the PSP2 definately won't be backwards compatible because it doesn't use a UMD drive. But I'm sure they'll make/port Eva games for it.

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:it's Nintendo that introduced region lock in videogames and they ended up introducing it in the handheld market as well...

And I'm hoping Sony doesn't decide to follow their example, which they very well might. Just because the PSP2 and PS3 are region-free doesn't mean all future Sony consoles will be, especially in this day and age.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:48 am

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:the PSP2 definately won't be backwards compatible because it doesn't use a UMD drive. But I'm sure they'll make/port Eva games for it.

These are optimistic thoughts. We don't even have a porting of Ayanami Raising Project for the PSP as I was mentioning before; who tell if they'll be ported and which games will be ported?
And I'm hoping Sony doesn't decide to follow their example, which they very well might. Just because the PSP2 and PS3 are region-free doesn't mean all future Sony consoles will be, especially in this day and age.

Technically both the PSP and the PS3 could be regionally locked, the PSP has BattleZone which is the only title that has been locked and the PS3 could use region lockout using the same region of the Blu Ray.
The PSN's features also aren't regionally locked, you simply need to connect to that particular PSN website (for example the Japanese one) and create an account; then make another PS3's account, link it to that PSN account and purchase/download games and other contents.
I doubt that Sony will enforce regional lockout again, it's something that is slowly fading out, it's used only by a certain old minded company (that weirdly enough make innovative products but innovative R&D doesn't necessarily implies that they have innovative marketing strategies).
What is the point in putting a regional lock on a game that won't ever be distributed outside of Japan? It's simply a suicide since you will prevent potential (foreign) customers from buying it.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:52 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I doubt that Sony will enforce regional lockout again, it's something that is slowly fading out, it's used only by a certain old minded company (that weirdly enough make innovative products but innovative R&D doesn't necessarily implies that they have innovative marketing strategies).

Game publishers are the ones who want the region locking. Makes it easier to market games separately and do price differentiation (=gouging the price the markets will bear) in different regions. As I believe you are referring to the 'N' here, they are also the most prominent publisher of games for their platform...

Sure, it sucks for the odd customer who might want something else than the locally approved 'latest and greatest', but what can you do...?

What is the point in putting a regional lock on a game that won't ever be distributed outside of Japan? It's simply a suicide since you will prevent potential (foreign) customers from buying it.

As a 2D shooting game lover, I ask this again and again. A certain company named Cave actually did publish two of their Arcade to XBOX360 ports without region locking; however, they seem to like the idea of relicensing more since they announced that for the foreseeable future, their ports would be region locked. Maybe they are figuring out that they can get more money out of the relicensing deals than the few additional sales from the overseas hobbyists who import their games... Which may be true.

That, or there is some kind of "exclusivity pride" going on, too.
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

StellarKei
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby StellarKei » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:58 pm

I've been playing this recently. My first play through with Rei ended up with her being a fast food waitress. xD;

No marriage and hardly any special scenes D:

This thread has a helpful chart for translating the stats in the DS version.
You Will (Not) Survive
MyAnimeList

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Would you like fries with that, Ikari-kun?

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:32 pm

View Original PostStellarKei wrote:I've been playing this recently. My first play through with Rei ended up with her being a fast food waitress. xD;

That's, like, the most hilarious mental image ever: Rei working at McDonald's. :hitthetable:

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Re: Would you like fries with that, Ikari-kun?

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:44 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:That's, like, the most hilarious mental image ever: Rei working at McDonald's. :hitthetable:

She can give me two orders of chicken tenders any time of the week. :kaos_cigar:
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

ShadowGT
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShadowGT » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:22 am

View Original PostStellarKei wrote:I've been playing this recently. My first play through with Rei ended up with her being a fast food waitress. xD;

No marriage and hardly any special scenes D:

This thread has a helpful chart for translating the stats in the DS version.

Hahahaha thats the Ending i got too :) I dont understand one bit of Japanese So my playthroughs consist of picking random events for her weeks & playing tick tack toe to pick a answer anytime a multiple choice question pops up.

One thing i love about Ayanami raising project is the Full FMV opening movie you get at start up (A rarity for DS games)

*EDIT* I just remembered i took a photo of the fast food Rei ending due to the WTFness of it

Enjoy :D

Crazy Packers Fan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Crazy Packers Fan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:38 am

Okay, I've become fairly interested in this "Ayanami Raising Project" game, mainly because of one image of Rei wielding a whip, which apparently comes from this game. So I have some questions to ask:

-Which versions, if any, if all, work on an American version of the system without needing any modding of the console?

-Is there any version available in English? My guess is no, so follow-up questions:

-Are there any guides for English speakers that help with translations?

-Is the game unplayable or incredibly unenjoyable without understanding Japanese?

About gameplay itself:

-What's the worst thing that can happen to Rei? Can you make her angry or very depressed? It would be fun just as a side thing to do whatever is possible to hurt Rei's feelings and then see something tragic happen to her.

-How is it possible to get that awesome image of Rei holding a whip?

Thank you to anyone who can answer these questions.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:53 am

View Original PostCrazy Packers Fan wrote:-What's the worst thing that can happen to Rei? Can you make her angry or very depressed? It would be fun just as a side thing to do whatever is possible to hurt Rei's feelings and then see something tragic happen to her.

:um:

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:54 am

View Original PostCrazy Packers Fan wrote:-Which versions, if any, if all, work on an American version of the system without needing any modding of the console?

-Is there any version available in English? My guess is no, so follow-up questions:

If you have a real copy of the game you shouldn't have any problems playing it on a DS Lite. Although the DS port of this game came out before the DSi, I can't say for certain if you will or won't encounter region locking with this game on the DSi as people have with Japanese versions of, e.g., Pokemon Black and White.

View Original PostCrazy Packers Fan wrote:-Are there any guides for English speakers that help with translations?

-Is the game unplayable or incredibly unenjoyable without understanding Japanese?

I've played without understanding Japanese and I found the entire experience to be average. I did however, use at a combination of FAQ sets to help me understand and play the game.
- General FAQ and Calendar
- Item List (note: a supplementary guide as you can identify items in the game by their sprites)
I can't recall what other FAQ's I used, I probably searched for some on the internet. You should do the same.

View Original PostCrazy Packers Fan wrote:-What's the worst thing that can happen to Rei? Can you make her angry or very depressed? It would be fun just as a side thing to do whatever is possible to hurt Rei's feelings and then see something tragic happen to her.

The worst thing you can do is absolutely nothing - that is, let her stay at home all day and/or let her fatigue build up to the point where she becomes sick and has to a) stay home or b) go to the hospital. If you let this persist or allow it to happen early in the game, you'll soon find that Rei won't follow the schedule you set for her, she'll skip school, etc.
By the way, unless you raise her super-duper-nicely, Rei will refuse to wear the special dresses and costumes that you can buy for her.

View Original PostCrazy Packers Fan wrote:-How is it possible to get that awesome image of Rei holding a whip?.

Either you'd have to find someone who managed to get it on their game and run through the steps with them, or you'd have to make an effort to understand the Japanese text. Sure, you can play the game just by knowing what the stats are and guessing as to which classes will lean towards the ending you want, unfortunately, there is a fair bit of text in this game and not knowing what Rei/Asuka are saying will make it extremely difficult for you to get the rarer ends such as the Rei-with-a-whip.
Last edited by EvangelionFan on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voluntary Illusion.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:56 am

*Stab you*
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Crazy Packers Fan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Crazy Packers Fan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:05 am

*Stab you*

Ha ha, I love the angry responses over my (potential) treatment of Rei. Trust me, I like Rei, even though I love Asuka. But I have a morbid curiosity of what's the worst that could happen.

If you have a real copy of the game you shouldn't have any problems playing it on a DS Lite.

Good, that's all I have.

Sure, you can play the game just by knowing what the stats are and guessing as to which classes will lean towards the ending you want, unfortunately, there is a fair bit of text in this game and not knowing what Rei/Asuka are saying will make it extremely difficult for you to get the rarer ends such as the Rei-with-a-whip.

Crap. Even worse, I probably would have no idea why she's doing that or what drove her to doing that.

Any more responses are appreciated!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”