Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

The Mazinger Movies!

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:58 pm

So besides me and maybe Guyver Spawn, who's seen these movies from the one and only Go Nagai? This is a series of either 6-8 movies depending on what you count a couple, they run from between half an hour to forty five minutes, all but the last one is considered non-canon to anything, and they are mostly entertaining. Here are all eight with brief descriptions:

1. Mazinger Z vs. Devilman: Dr. Hell awakens three members of the Demon Tribe to fight Mazinger Z while he and his mechanical beasts take care of Devilman. Both heroes team up to take on their respective nemeses.

2. Mazinger Z vs. The Great General of Darkness: An alternate retelling of the end of the series, warrior beasts are sent by the Mikene Empire lead by General Juuma (not the General of Darkness mind you) to conquer the world. Mazinger Z is eventually saved by the new Great Mazinger. This movie heavily reminds me of Destroy All Monsters.

3. Great Mazinger vs. Geter Robo: The alien bioweapon Gilgilgan is sent to take over the world starting with Japan and it requires the combined efforts of Great Mazinger and the Getter Robo crew to take down the adaptive monster. For some reason this resembles Gamera movies.

4. War of The Flying Saucers: Not really a Mazinger movie, but it was shown with the one below, has the same run time and staff, and it is the pilot of Grendizer so.... It's basically a sci-fi romance identical to the first few episodes of Grendizer except the enemy home world is called Yaban, the robot's name is Gattaiger (similar to Grendizer no less), and a brief invasion of Earth and yes I mean brief.

5. Great Mazinger vs. Getter Robo G: Great Clash in The Sky: The aliens from GMvsGR return with three new monsters to take on Great Mazinger and Getter Robo, the latter of which is destroyed and is replaced by Getter Robo G.

6. Grendizer vs. Great Mazinger: It's basically an extended Grednzier episode with Great Mazinger guest staring with a new bad guy and three saucer beasts that get destroyed very quickly. This is the only 70s Mazinger movie to have an actual fight with the title characters.

7. Grendizer, Getter Robo G, Great Mazinger: Monster of The Ocean Floor: My favorite of the eight Mazinger movies, involves a colossal creature called the Dragonsaurus that takes on the three title robots at once and more or less proves it is the most powerful creature created by Go Nagai of that era; I arguably consider Dragonsaurus the most powerful giant monster of the showa era after Vacuumon from Ultraman Jack (who was basically like Galactus from the second Fantastic Four movie). Awesome short is awesome.

8. Deathmatch! Mazinkaiser vs. The Great General of Darkness: The longest of the Mazinger movies, takes place I think a year after the OVA does, basically a remake of the second movie except Mazinkaiser actually fights Great General of Darkness (aka Ankoku Daishogun). It is pretty cool, although sadly the title mech doesn't show up until the last ten minutes.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Return to “Anime and Manga”