The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side A & Side B

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side A & Side B

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:21 pm

Did anybody ever actually buy these two books? The Evageeks Wiki has no information about them, other than the release dates. Any idea on how many pages of the original 960 paged Evangelion Chronicle were reprinted here? I saw both books at my local Kinokuniya, but the price was too high for a blind buy. Especially because I'm mainly interested in owning a physical copy of the 35 Evangelion Proposal pages. Does either book contain all of them?

If not, which of the original 30 issues of Evangelion Chronicle contains the Proposal stuff?
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:25 am

Reichu scanned them, so why not ask here where in the Evangelion Chronicle they were located?

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:28 pm

Well, I'd rather find out if the pages I'm looking for are featured in Essential or not. The individual Evangelion Chronicle issues are probably harder to track down...

Nobody ever bought these things, though?
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:32 am

You'll need to find issues 1-24 of Eva Chronicle if you want every page of the proposal. And the place I bought my copies from is long sold out.

In other words, you're stuffed.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Those sneaky bastards... I figured they'd split them up like that. Have you confirmed that Essential A and B don't have the Proposal pages, though?
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:22 am

I have no idea what's in those books, but I always assumed that they included everything that's in chronicle.

Here's the best description I could find: [url]http://www.hlj.com/product/SON77018[/url]
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:39 pm

128 pages x 2 books is 256 pages. Chronicle was 960 pages. :D

I'd just look at the books at Kinokuniya, except all of their books are wrapped in plastic. Bastards...
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:06 am

Normally you can ask to have a look at the books that are wrapped in plastic, unless they're wrapped by the publishers (well, at least you can at my Kino).
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:14 am

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:Normally you can ask to have a look at the books that are wrapped in plastic, unless they're wrapped by the publishers (well, at least you can at my Kino).

Really? I've never dared ask that. Do they just open it up, let you look, and then put it back on the shelf?

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:26 am

Well, the only time I asked I ended up buying the book, so I don't know what they do with it if you don't want to buy it.
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

Riotgear
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Riotgear » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:46 pm

You're lucky COACH, because my anime-related books are some of the few of my possessions that I know the location of. When I was packing, preparing to move, I knew I'd want to have access to many of my books so I put them all together and marked those boxes clearly. So I looked through the boxes, found Side A & B, cut them out of the bubble wrap I'd put wrapped them in over two years ago and took a quick look through them.

Unfortunately neither book contains the proposal pages (oh, uh sorry. I guess you're not that lucky). Both books are divided into the same three sections - "Character and Evangelion", "Episode Guide and Checkpoint" and "Goods Collection". Side A covers episodes 1-14 and Side B covers 15-26 and EoE.

Did you want to know anything else about them before I seal them back up and lock them away again? :P I have the original 30 issues and the "Evangelion Chronicle Illustrations" book as well. I'd sorta prefer not to have to unwrap all the individual issues but if there was something you really desperately needed to know that you couldn't find out online I might be persuaded.

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:21 am

Nope, that will be all! Oh well... Perhaps I'll try to hunt down the entirety of Chronicle in the near future. (Don't know if it's possible anymore, though.) I kinda wanted to buy it for awhile anyway.

Thank you!
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:16 pm

I got them while in London in 2008. Were quite expensive, considering how expensive quids were relative to other currencies those days (before the Lehman thingie). Never browsed them in detail though, but now during my efforts to move to a new home I took a more detailed look at them and they're cool. Don't think they have essentially anything that the individual "chronicles" did not, but it's a nice compilation to have.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Gib
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gib » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:42 am

Are these books mere episode guides? Are they useful? Don't scanlations exist? Where can I see any pages? I think that Glénat published these books in french last year.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:16 pm

These books contain an abridged version of the complete Evangelion Chronicle. They aren't just episode guides, they contain various other info.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:58 pm

I bumped this thread because it looks like the books are going to be released in English this November. Wondering if these books are worth it?

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:42 pm

I'll try to get ahold of them for art purposes. For my works on Eva Xover ga Fanfics and for my fan work on Rommels H fic he wrote. :toothy:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:10 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I bumped this thread because it looks like the books are going to be released in English this November. Wondering if these books are worth it?

Udon Entertainment will release three Neon Genesis Evangelion art books. The Evangelion Chronicle: Illustrations book will contain original artwork created for the Evangelion Chronicle encyclopedia series. It will also include rough sketches and creators' comments. The book will go on sale in November 2012.

The Evangelion Chronicle: Side A book will cover the first 13 television episodes of the original television series with original artwork, a character relationship chart, character and EVA profiles, a timeline, and a comprehensive episode guide. The Evangelion Chronicle: Side B will provide the same details for episodes 14-26 plus original movies.

Interesting. I don't think the Proposal was ever fully translated for the EGF wiki, so this might be useful.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:50 am

I'm Definitely picking this up when it comes out.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:54 am

Just to bump this thread: http://www.evageeks.org/2013/01/udon-entertainment-releasing-evangelion-chronicle-illustrations/

Christopher Butcher from Udon Entertainment contacted the site and said they're still planning on releasing Side A and Side B this year.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”