Evangelion and Religion

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Evangelion and Religion

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:15 pm

Here is the proper place for this discussion.

A little off subject but I've never understood why so many christians, catholics, baptists, religous groups etc. etc.
Have such a problem with Eva. Any Ideas?

These tend to be the same people who will complain about anything that might seem to be outside of their norm, so it is just another thing for them to yell, and be unaccepting about (which by the way is not a very christian attitude). I myself am Catholic and the only problems I have with the series is some of the plot holes.

Now go have a nice discussion, and be CIVIL.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:42 pm

Religious groups that protest things are usually somewhat extreme. Just because they speak the loudest doesn't mean that they make up the majority. The religous right always protests anything even slightly controversial. They wanted to burn Harry Potter for pete's sake.
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Crazyman42
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Crazyman42 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:50 pm

Yes, but mostly Religous groups are different. The Church tends to be very sensitive against the "Anti-Religion", the "YOUR WRONG CHRISTIANS!" or the "The church is WATCHING YOU!". Evangelion does use a lot of references and things that argue against Christianity. Comflicts like these come up all the time, it has happened with : The Matrix Series, His Dark Materials Series, The Da Vinchi Code, ect. Overall, it's not a surprise that they would target Evangelion, especially since it's popularity is growing over-seas.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:13 pm

What religious groups are targeting Evangelion? It seems to me that all this talk is a little premature and that most major religious groups either A) couldn't care less what some depressed Japanese director made 9 years ago or B) simply havn't noticed Evangelion yet (which seems a little unlikely considering how long it has been around).
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:19 pm

1. No mainstream religious groups target Evangelion (atleast in the United States, where I live). They take ridiculous stances on other issues FAR more important than an anime that 95% of the population has never even heard of. You think Jerry Falwell has even ever heard of Eva? I doubt it. They're too interested in destroying the first amendment, because we all now how the world is going to end if the a-word is said on the radio, to notice Eva. The sole attacks I have ever seen is from this absurd site on the web where some lady attacks every form of entertainment in existence (Pokemon, Gundam Wing, various american stuff too) and takes a lot of letters, in which every one the writer makes her look like a fool. Thats all. Never one mention in a church, in the paper, on tv, on the radio, anywhere about a religious group being critical of the show.

2. While Eva has a lot of religious symbolism, it does not comment on religion. To say that Eva argues against Christianity is wrong. They're not commenting on any religion in Evangelion. As Tsurumaki has said (although he must be LYING!!!! according to Dave :evil: ), it is there to look cool, not to attack Christianity.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:22 pm

Damn right. He is either a liar or GAINAX is the right hand of God. If anyone can stare me in the face and tell me End of Evangelion simply uses religious symbols to look cool I will personally eat their heart. (I use EoE as an example because it the most blatant integration of religion into Evangelion)
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:05 am

I actually found a religious anime community where you're not allowed to discuss Evangelion!!!

http://www.christiananime.net/

ShoKenju
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ShoKenju » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:06 am

im gonna have a lot of fun with them

edit- i got banned within 5 minutes :roll:

reasons for being banned
1. he had an offensive sig
2. his username
3. his first post was about Evangelion which is a no-discuss, as you all know
a man within the trap of one sided love is a man torn beyond his imagination.
-----------
Reason = Virtue = Happiness

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:12 am

ShoKenju wrote:im gonna have a lot of fun with them

edit- i got banned within 5 minutes :roll:
reasons for being banned
1. he had an offensive sig
2. his username
3. his first post was about Evangelion which is a no-discuss, as you all know

Looks like they went and deleted all your posts so I can't see what you said. Oh well. I'll probably try to have some fun of my own over there; using 'IAmTheDevil' for my username, with quotes from Cliver Barker's Imajica in my sig (a very blasphemous novel about a modern age Christ), with this for my avatar: Image
I wonder how long I can talk about Eva before they ban me. I'm surprised a site like that even exists, I'd figure pretty much all anime would be seen as heresy with them.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

ShoKenju
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ShoKenju » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:30 am

i had 2 quotes from the bible in my sig, one from revelations and one from corinthians. ill post them in just a sec. i understand why my first account was banned. but the second i dont. my only post was agreeing with a friend of mine about women and men being equal
-----------

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:20 am

Reviewing all the posts about religion and all that, i don't understand how can USA culture be so polarized. I mean, here in Chile, the standard people are Catholics a little conservative, but open minded, even the most Catholics or Protestant people respects other people's opinion.

Over there you have big religious groups that think they're right and everybody should think the same way they do. And also you have other big group of people that are WAY TOO LIBERAL for my taste.
*insert cool signature here*

ShoKenju
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ShoKenju » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:22 am

case in point. people are an ignorant mass
-----------

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:22 pm

Like I said in another thread, I think that in general Catholics are much more open minded than most protestants.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:40 pm

I find catholism rather odd. For all of their rigid conservative rules, most are actually quite liberal. Really, liberal christianity isn't problem. It's the uptight "religious right" that gives many people the wrong idea about christianity. Those are the people who don't respect others' beliefs or ways of life, you know the televangelists. Being an observer of faiths, I've seen the best and the worst of "God's love".

All religions have love as there core philosophy. They may start out as good ideas but its people, greedy humans, that twists the words of the teachers so they can get what they want.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

ShoKenju
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ShoKenju » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:42 pm

Karma Burn wrote:I find catholism rather odd. For all of their rigid conservative rules, most are actually quite liberal. Really, liberal christianity isn't problem. It's the uptight "religious right" that gives many people the wrong idea about christianity. Those are the people who don't respect others' beliefs or ways of life, you know the televangelists. Being an observer of faiths, I've seen the best and the worst of "God's love".

All religions have love as there core philosophy. They may start out as good ideas but its people, greedy humans, that twists the words of the teachers so they can get what they want.

well, if you mean religion as a faith in God. id have to disagree with you. although mine is of my own creation based off an understanding
-----------

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:42 pm

Huh? Be more specific about what you might disagree with and I'll be more specific so we can fix this misunderstanding.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

ShoKenju
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ShoKenju » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:41 am

love can not be the core of one philosophy if one does not believe in its existence right?

in my yes God is balanced equal fair etc etc. in the end all good will complement all the evil.
-----------

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:12 am

All mainstream religions (I'm not talking about cults or satanism in this one) have love as their core philosophy. The idea that everyone should have mutual respect for everyone else, so we can all get along. Love and peace are considered the holiest of holies. Sure, there will always be good and evil, neither can exist without the other. But it is repect for fellow living creatures, or at least other humans, that many religions profess, but none seem to be able to do.

ShoKenju
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ShoKenju » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:26 am

and theres a very good reason for that. its mentally satifying. people want to know theyre loved because it fills the gap in them. its why sex has become such common place now a days. we grow up thinking that you fuck the one you love. so we try to feel loved by fucking. language aside of course.

although to shamelessly promote my religion a bit. balance is the core philosophy. opinions are good, but one should always try and keep an on the fence approach to new issues, no matter what.

since i talked about sex earlier. id like to mention that sex is God's one heavenly gift to man. do with it as you please, it doesnt care at all. no matter you preference of mate and/or style. it doesnt affect your point record when the preverbial shit hits the fan
-----------

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”