(Second) Evas vs. Angels Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:43 am

View Original PostChowwow wrote:Ugh, just have to endure this a little longer...

I'm not entirely sure how to interpret this statement.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:07 am

Quite a distinctive little Angel over there. I had been toying with the idea of an Angel using ATFs like a blender (actually, an Angel that used its ATF like a tornado of octagonal blades that could slice an Eva like salami or shred all 22 layers of geofront armor in less than a minute), but I just didn't know how to put it to good use. Your Micah seems more intelligent than even you give it credit for, NemZ. Based on its behavior and pattern of attack, I would expect it to understand quite a bit more about human emotions and how they effect behavior across the group, rather than just amplifying latent emotions.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:23 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Your Micah seems more intelligent than even you give it credit for, NemZ. Based on its behavior and pattern of attack, I would expect it to understand quite a bit more about human emotions and how they effect behavior across the group, rather than just amplifying latent emotions.

That's somewhat where her contemptuous attitude and perspective limits her understanding. To her way of thinking Lilim is like a massively upscaled Iruel, a swarming, infiltrating mass that assimilates, enslaves or devours anything it encounters and whose true form is in the networked pattern amongst it's component parts. Individual emotions are just ripples in the web, and all she cares to understand is in which direction a particular bond is pulling.

Basically she sees Humanity's true self like a giant Gordian Knot spread across the planet that grows ever more complex with each passing minute. Even Adam wasn't able to simply cut it asunder with a single blow, so instead she has to pick and pull to find the major tangles and pry it apart a little at a time using the slack that Mother sacrificed herself to create.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Eva Unit D-09

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:51 am

NemZ wrote:I'm not entirely sure how to interpret this statement.

By this I mean all the hardship I've had to endure at this point trying to keep all of these things together. Damn, I'm behind. Oh well, enough complaining.

August 24
Image NemZ

NemZ wrote:General Data:
Original -
 Unit Designation: D-09
 Size: 40m x 16m x 8m
 Test Pilot: Aoba Shigeru
Final -
 Unit Designation: Simulation Body #2
 Size: 18m x 12m x 6m
 Simulation Pilot: Ikari Shinji
Class: C (estimated)
Type: Development prototype [failed]

Unit History:
Ninth attempt in the D series of Adam revival experiments following the failed and occasionally disastrous A, B, and C experimental series. The D-series, begun in spring of 2002, are noted for being derived from an engineered genetic seed implanted into a recovered Adam fragment, as opposed to the earlier series which attempted to use cultivated bacterial biomass, LCL and human-derived clones as initial substrates, respectively. While the possibility was discussed that such experiments were at fault for the 2nd Impact incident and thus the reason for earlier alternative experiments, PWM quickly proved to be the best material choice because of its rapid growth and mutability.

D-01 through D-07 were stepping stones to a stable DNA state, each suffering from incurable malformations. Starting with D-08 the genetic base had achieved a combination with the proper stability however, and was only slightly tweaked for the remaining models in the D series to adjust for the auto-immune reaction it suffered following the implantation of the control plug frame into its spine and core. D-09, D-10 and D-11 are genetically identical, the last being the first accepted prototype and officially redesignated E-00 following the restructuring of Gehirn into Nerv (partially as a way to hide the true number of developmental units created, and thus the full scope of 2I relief funding that was diverted to the Evangelion Project).

D-09 holds a special distinction in the prototype series second only to D-11 as the first model used in a synchronization experiment. An accident during the installation procedures of the unit’s armored shell resulted in the death of project junior-grade engineer Aoba Toru, who fell from the unit’s head to landed on the upturned ridge of the clavicle plate, then tumbled down D-09’s chest. Upon contact with the core organ the engineer’s body was reduced to LCL and his soul absorbed, thus rendering D-09 the first unit so endowed. As a result of this incident, safety protocol now requires all personnel to be fully enclosed in protective gear when servicing an eva or angel whose core has not been confirmed inactive and is not contained within intact armor plating, to avoid any future mishaps.

Though well outside the projected synchronization requirements of a mother/child bond (Mr. Aoba was an unwed man without children), it was decided to attempt synchronization anyway with his closest potential match. Aoba Shigeru, nephew of the subject, was enticed to participate despite the circumstances in exchange for a college scholarship. After seventeen failed attempts over a period of eight weeks the project was terminated, the resident soul never showing any signs of responsivity whatsoever. The younger Aoba was released from service, sworn to secrecy and placed under heavy covert surveillance, with his compensation contingent upon these conditions. Proving himself intellectually capable, reliable, and possessing a personality free of troublesome scruples while under Nerv scrutiny, Aoba Shigeru was later recruited into the organization.

Following these experiments D-09 was placed in a stasis tank in Central Dogma alongside the previously mentioned D-08 and D-10, which was rendered unusable when a misalignment during the plug frame installation went awry and fractured the unit’s core organ. The three failures were intended to be used for further study, as spare parts or possibly refurbished into useable combat units if proper techniques for their salvage/repair were developed. The experimental development of E-01 changed this plan when it became apparent that Angel- 02, “Lilith” might be consumed in the process and continued to refuse to absorb any alternate mass supplies of a typical nature. It proved incapable of resisting absorption of a PWM sample however, namely the left arm of D-10, after which all three tank samples were reduced to a minimal experimental state via amputation to sustain the E-01 experiment.

With the success of the E-01 project the D series were relegated to an even lower level of interest, now scheduled to be decapitated and de-cored to prevent any future accidental activations (the cranial removal later proving to be unnecessary) and redesignated as Simulation Bodies #1-3 in conjunction with the Gehirn-Nerv transition. However an incident occurred during the core extraction procedure of D-09, causing it to enter the first recorded berserker state (though already limbless and headless at that point and thus far less threatening than later episodes) and thus establish that its resident soul was not completely silent.

A secondary level technical team continued experiments on the unit while the main focus was shifted to a contact experiment with E-01, attempting to create an impression or double of a pilot’s soul to empower the unit without loss of life. When that experiment again resulted in the absorption of a human D-09 was utilized as a guinea pig for the development of recovery procedures. Though the E-01 effort was ultimately unsuccessful, these experiments were useful in ruling out the use of the first retrieval plan which failed catastrophically, resulting in the resident soul of D-09 being dispersed into unrecognizable pattern noise.

A second attempt at decoring was made and completed without incident, after which D-09, now Simulation Body #2, was returned to cold storage with its fellows. All three were later transferred to B-wing’s Prinbow Box facility and hardwired into a secondary magi access terminal for use in virtual synchronization trials which provided valuable data towards the early development of the Dummy System. This assignment ended following the invasion of Angel-11 “Iruel”, as all three units were finally disposed of as a precautionary measure against any lingering contamination.

Physical Description and Combat Ability:
D-09 was identical to the pre-refit Eva-00 before being reduced to a headless torso with only right arm to show for itself. If successfully repaired, including the installation of a fresh core and all the necessary circuitry, hardware, restraints and armor, it would have theoretically been as combat-capable as its series descendant. All manner of performance-lessening bugs should be expected after such treatment, however. 65% of Unit-01’s average combat utility is probably a fair estimate.

Designer:
NemZ

Regardless of personal hardships, this Contest is shaping up to be one kick-ass event - and we still have a lot more to go!

Next time: TheAyanamiOtaku

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:01 pm

I'm really really enjoying Nemzie-kun's use of colour. ^____^
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Love the back ground :D

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:08 am

I need to rest a bit before I start judging all you other motherfooks. Brb.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:00 am

@ oOoOoOo & tehprognoob:

Thanks, glad you got some enjoyment out of it.

So... where's the next entry? You doing okay, Chowwow?

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:36 am

I suspect that he's had connection trouble. Putting up a properly formatted entry should take barely a minute.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:37 am

Guess he's been busy lately, juding by his previous few posts. Don't worry, we can wait.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Camael, Angel of Joy

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:48 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:So... where's the next entry? You doing okay, Chowwow?

Hold your horses guys!

August 25
Image TheAyanamiOtaku

TheAyanamiOtaku wrote:General Data:
Name & Title: Camael, Angel of Joy - "One Who Sees God"
Measurements:
Squall Line: 160-260km
Thunderstorm 23km diameter
Type: Stealth Infection

Inspiration: Various Google and Wikipedia Search Results on "Thermic Lance," "Thunderstorm," "Autocannon," "Caliber," "Lightning bolts," "Electric generators," "Electrolysis," myself, TV Tropes, my high school education.

Background History:
TL;DR: Camael was born in the upper atmosphere, collecting a part of Adam's vaporized remains in the high atmosphere, and educated himself in manipulating biological systems and electromagnetic fields in 14 years, and then heard Adam call to him. He followed the instinct to Tokyo-3, moments before Shamshel's attempt, and settled in.

SPOILER: Show
Camael, like the rest of his Angels, witnessed Second Impact, but could not do anything to change its course. Camael remained in the upper atmosphere, among Adam's vaporized remains, and took control of them. After despairing to his satisfaction, Camael willed himself into materialization, affirming his existence.
He fell down somewhere in Tibet. Camael first resembled a football field-sized peach seed, with core nested inside. Changing to resemble a plasmodial slime mold, he started to invade Lilim descendents, microscopic life forms, and then macroscopic, understanding their properties, how they work, and most importantly, what they desire, their reason to exist. In the local fauna and flora, he sensed a certain desperation to perpetuate, less a fear from death, and more a desire to beat it. He wanted to understand them to beat them. Simply put, they had no right to exist here nor defend themselves from their insurrection.

He switched his forms to dissipate his existence to render himself invisible, and observed a small town. Invading his first human, a mother of two, things were very different. Here, his host exposed him to the intricacies of human society, and the powerful expression of hope in the future, with children. Of course, all of this could render back to neurons firing and misfiring, but it felt like the terrible desperation here existed less powerfully. There was a desire to see someone else, not as a chance for perpetuation, but for their own success. It felt like going in a circle back to the same desperation, but not exactly. There was seemingly something else to live for here, and Camael changed from the compassion and joy found in this first experience. It also resonated with his past.

Later experiences with other humans promptly dashed his naivete. Sometimes, he tried intervening, to no satisfying end. Lilim seem to be contradictingly simple but complicated. 15 Years later, Camael was experimenting with Lilim when he felt Adam calling to him.

It couldn't have been any other voice. He headed towards Tokyo-3, and nearly manifested himself when he suspected a trap. He then observed Shamshel, Ramiel, and Gaghiel's failed attempts to enter the area below, and the terrifying abilities of his siblings' murderers, and realized his life's purpose. All of his learnings prepared him for this moment. He was going to try to return Adam to life, to give his unawakened siblings another chance to experience compassion and hope and love, or die trying. No other alternatives existed.

Until he discovered the other reasons for keeping "Adam" hidden in the ground.

Physical Description:

TL;DR: Camael is composed of several types of Particle-Wave Matter particles - each type is small enough for the wind to carry it, and small enough to appear as viruses. Each "Ganglia"-type PWM particle house S2 Engines, has a set amount of other particles to govern, and together make decisions, acting as Camael's "brain". In the high atmosphere, Camael has a naked core, surrounded by these particles, and Camael's AT-Field, traveling in the generated thunderstorm.

Note: Camael Particles refer to the bits that make up Camael, and one "Unit" of Camael refers to the constant amount of Camael particles needed to commandeer one human body - one "Ganglia"-type, and several trillion of the others.

Outside a host, and away from Tokyo-3, Camael rides the Jet Stream. He collect himself windward to Tokyo-3, before using his AT-Field to jumpstart the squall line. Camael's body is not the thunderstorm, but dissipated inside it. Camael has no “head,” but instead a network of "Ganglia"-type particle wave matter governing other particles. "Anion, Cation, and Control"-types resemble an influenza virus, while "Ganglia"-types have a diameter of 200 microns, resembling a peach seed.

"Anion"-type, releases electrons.

"Cation"-type, absorbs electrons, works with "Anion"-type to promote electrolysis.

"Ganglia"-type, it functions as the mind of Camael, complete with AT-Field, communicating among other "Ganglia"-type particles, as well as organizing the other particlewave matter into Units through their AT-Fields without them Camael is good as dead, and the rest of the particles turn into the telltale bloodlike liquid found in other Angel battle aftermaths. Each destruction of a "Ganglia"-type will cause a small explosion, comparable in force and effect to an antitank mine. Without an AT-Field, a group of hundreds of thousands of hosts can be eliminated with one shot. However, it is not reccommended to set off such a mass detonation when the numbers reach millions of host.

Each "Ganglia"-type has its own S2 Organ, and can produce its own supply of "Anion," "Cation," and "Control" type particles. Through the "grid" of hosts, "Ganglia"-type particles in the bodies have an "intelligence" of their own, understanding commands, communicating with one another, and issuing out their own orders and returning feedback. This "grid" is Camael's memory and intelligence. Camael uses his AT-Field to sense temperature, electromagnetic field, and atmospheric changes. However, differentiated "Control"-type particles can only sense properties respective to their differentiated purposes. Destruction of a "Ganglia"-type will equate to destruction to a part of Camael, and he will fight hard to keep "Ganglia"-type particles from destruction. Camael has a total of 6 Million "Ganglia"-type particles.

"Control"-type, it enters the human body, disguised as viruses, adapts to the host's red blood cell's surface proteins, tracks down the differentiated cell commanded to hijack, enters it, and manipulates the cell's epigenetic system, using its weakened AT-Field as a fine instrument to control and interfere with gene expression and cellular communication. "Control"-types direct the AT-Field, from the "Ganglia" to various directions, to grasp, move, etc.

The core is located in the upper atmosphere, with the remainder of Camael. Here, its AT-Field is strongest. If Camael possesses 3.5 million hosts, a Positron Sniper Rifle can pierce the weakened atmospheric AT-Field and puncture the core, if someone can keep the core from moving. At exactly 4 Million hosts, Camael's core moves to the surface to travel with the largest group of possessed bodies.

Abilities/AT-Field Performance:

TL;DR: Camael uses his particles to direct his AT-Field and influence possessed people's subconscious. Camael can protect them from some harm. With his AT-Field, Camael has the equivalent of an "energy beam," can trigger Electromagnetic Pulses, and various orders of thunderstorms. Camael can also leech off of his hosts' own AT-Fields to augment his own, at the risk of Tanging them. When possessed people die, for one reason or another, Camael manipulates their bodies more directly, changing body structure for his own purposes.

Non-AT-Field Abilities

Camael infects humans by air. It uses the thunderstorm as a way to travel to the surface, and does not risk materializing into a form dense enough to fall down by gravity, or get detected by NERV. Infected people can transmit Camael particles by skin to skin contact, at least.

Camael particles get absorbed through the pores. Once inside, the particles maneuver the host subconsciously to expose him or herself to more particles, until enough enter the body to allow full control. If a portion of Camael exists in the atmosphere, he can choose to keep a portion of his AT-Field dedicated to perpetuate the thunderstorm.

His vast knowledge of biological systems, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics supplement his powerful AT Field, and make him very formidable. To make matters worse, Camael can plan his next attacks while simultaneously handling such immense micromanagement responsibilities of controlling millions of hosts and select biological systems and pathways. However, Camael is still a child, and can lose his cool in a very, very tense moment, resorting to mayhem and chaos in frustration, especially if he is already very close to realizing his goal.

AT-Field Abilities/Possession Details

TL;DR: Camael can screw up host's heads to get what he wants, wreck havoc with his energy projection and EMP blasts, and keep hosts in a dangerously altered sleep state to farm their AT-Fields and bodies.

Camael divides his powerful AT-Field among its hosts, creating a weak force field around each body, capable of protecting each host from a lone attacker armed with a blunt or sharp object. In addition, Camael's AT-Field powers all of his abilities and detection systems, and grows in power when several units gather in proximity. The AT-Field of one host can concentrate into a smaller area, to deflect projectiles from low caliber weapons. Anything more powerful than the average 9mm handgun will have inflict unusually minor injury to the host. Such attacks become a much less viable option when scores of hosts are encountered.

The host does not control the unit’s AT-Field, but the unit can use its host’s AT-Field to augment its own, but risking reverting its host back to LCL. Camael leeches from his hosts' AT-Fields when many hosts are together, or in emergency situations.

Camael’s possession range spans a maximum of 900 cubic kilometers from its center of mass. If the unit violates this rule, it will be only able to control the host’s subconscious, which it will manipulate to return the host to the range.

Camael has a preference towards adults, but children and the elderly are not excluded.

Once it reaches the brain, it influences subconscious thoughts, defined here, as thoughts we do not consciously notice, or thoughts we believe to be “human nature,” “our true beliefs,” or “ones heart/soul.” The host's body and consciousness control over it and their conscious thoughts are not interfered with. In some cases, Camael does not even affect its host subconsciously. A unit cannot control a human body against the host’s will, it takes too much effort. A human is not aware of Camael’s presence, until told. Camael reads the electrical impulses in humans, and performs "wiretaps" on the host's bodily functions and abilities, effectively monitoring the host.

In the most general case, Camael augments creativity, willpower, optimism, and self-sacrifice. Many possessed people report a “deep sensation of relief,” "a sudden burst of clarity," or “euphoria." But such augmentations can drive people to less than morally sound ends, and Camael can choose to augment whatever facet of humanity he chooses.

Camael chooses to not possess other organisms, but the “amount” of Camael needed to commandeer a body is proportional to the organism’s size. He could possess a hive of bees to raid some terribly allergic people, if it wanted to.

The angel can also slightly augment a host’s physical abilities, specifically, endurance by slightly reducing muscle fatigue and lung capacity. This exertion will weaken the angel’s forcefield; when caught offguard hosts can be killed easily in this state. The angel can switch between states in a fraction of a second. A host can run, full sprint, at 32-64 kilometers per hour, depending on the host’s athletic prowess at that time. This, again, will be used in special situations.

One unit of Camael can jump from one host to another, and establish control in 30 minutes. This is only used in special situations – leaving the previous host so quickly will render them unable to balance brain chemicals, resulting in major depressive disorder, schizophrenia, or bipolar disorder.

Camael can augment a host’s pain tolerance level, and reflexes during a fight-or-flight situation, where the host behaves instinctually to survive. This ability is used only when Camael has to preserve a host for later use. Usually, when caught, the unit will not activate this ability, and will allow the host to die.

Several "Ganglia" particles can live in one body, and can jump to others people like an infection.

When hosts die, the Camael unit may choose to leave or undergo posthumous metamorphosis. The choice depends on the nature of death, and condition of the corpse.

Posthumous Metamorphoses & Sleep-Possession

TL;DR: Camael uses his AT-Field to change a corpse's skeletal structure into something more destructive. If there are still possessed living left, Camael will put them to a special kind of sleep, that will cause their brain to go haywire, but will heighten the hosts' AT-Fields, to boost Camael's.

Once the host dies, the angel no longer disguises itself as sentient proteins. They particles enter the musculoskeletal and nervous system, to physically control the body. The host body’s local AT-Field is not powerful enough undergo the metamorphosis. Most of the time, dead bodies will congregate to concentrate their AT-Field (bodies floating up into the atmosphere and then metamorphose would definitely blow Camael’s cover), rolling into a ball, or as close to a sphere as possible. Camael would disguise his metamorphosis with the coming Angel attacks (changing the corpses' skeletal structure takes a detectable amount of AT-Field), but if he cannot, he would plan to metamorphose all of his corpses at once, specifically, at the start of a siege on NERV HQ.

With the combined AT-Field, one body per "ball" starts to mutate. The general metamorphosis is simple: all of the ribs are transformed into serrated, jointed appendages. These appendages are often used for vicious melee attacks. These new appendages grow by absorbing tissue from other, less important parts of the body, such as the digestive system, muscular system, and fat cells.

Hundreds of corpses can congregate to form a digsite, using the combined AT-Field to cut into the ground and push the dirt out, while using the majority of the AT-Field to cancel the other out and remain undetected. Camael can dig to form several points of entry into the NERV GEOFRONT, or cause structural weaknesses in Tokyo-3.

In large numbers, Camael exerts greater control over idle living hosts, causing them to go into a physical state similar to Klein-Levin Syndrome, where hosts sleep for days, and in the worst cases, weeks on end. The sleeping hosts' sleeping cycles are altered to a point where up to 75% of the sleep cycle is dominated by REM sleep. In addition, pain nerves are detached, Endorphin and Epinephrine receptors are selectively activated to cause hosts to enter a state of heightened awareness during dreaming. It is in this altered REM sleep, hosts mysteriously laugh or giggle when idle, and have a notably higher human AT-Field, which Camael uses to strengthen his own. When mobile, neither reanimated corpse nor living host make such "involuntary laughter," and only make noise when directed to.

The very worst case scenarios involve Camael inducing the equivalent of Locked-In Syndrome on a host, then waking the person from sleep, and driving the host to insanity. Camael dramatically changes brain chemistry by selectively allowing neurotransmitters to travel (opening voltage-gated channels in the dendrites and axons of select neurons). This specific recipe further boosts a host's AT-Field. This time, camael will leech enough of it to eventually revert the body to LCL in exactly 6,000 seconds, or 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Offensive and Defensive Capabilities

OFFENSE

Against Eva Units:

Possessed or reanimated humans alone can do very little against a fully equipped Eva Unit, except severing its power supply, which any pilot with a reasonable synchro rate can prevent. A single shot from an Eva Assault Rifle will kill a host, but not the "Ganglia." An Eva can easily kill host and "Ganglia" in any single host, possessed or reanimated, in its expanded AT-Field.

In larger groups, Camael poses a much more serious threat, especially when dealing with reanimated bodies. A pilot must protect its power supply; Camael will target it first, while attempting to sever the pilot from its Eva Unit. 600,000 hosts will begin to affect an Evangelion Unit's AT Field. An Evangelion fighting such a group will notice its AT-FIELD distorting to the group's but will have no problems eventually dispatching it. At its highest resistance, the group will resist pallet rifle projectiles. This group does not have the dexterity to distort its AT-FIELD into complicated shapes (explained later). It can only concentrate the field to deflect incoming fire, but cannot puncture an Evangelion with any attack, and will resort to using its abilities to slow down or trap the Evangelion Unit.

When host numbers approach 4 million, Camael exhibits a much stronger and flexible AT-Field, capable of trapping up to two Evangelion units at a time. Camael can decrease its AT-Field signature, lulling unsuspecting Evangelion Pilots into an "AT-Field Trap," where Camael reactivates his AT-Field once the Evangelion Units are encircled in hosts, effectively holding the Eva hostage (note: Camael cannot hold beserk Eva). Camael will then seek to decapitate each Eva, before incinerating its remains, pilots and all. Camael can learn and retreat quickly, so other strategies for attacking Evangelion will quickly develop.

Against Conventional Weapons:

Camael can strategize just as any human general. He can construct ambushes and traps, and understand how to use his enemies' weaknesses to his advantage. Camael prefers guerilla warfare, destroying bits and pieces of his opponent, and rarely attacking them full on. In hand-to-hand combat with other human soldiers, Camael units definitely outgun soldiers. Host attacks soldiers psychologically and physically, using their transformed ribcages and screaming to make a cacophony during a surprise attack, then disappearing after inflicting heavy casualties and leaving a few survivors, for possession's sake.

Miscellaneous Destructive Abilities:

Variable-Scale Plasma Lance:
Camael makes a vortex with his AT-Field, sucking matter in, spinning and compressing it, until the matter reaches the plasma state. The vertex of plasma is directed towards one direction. Camael can direct this lance into the ground to create a "pillar of fire." The vertex's end radius ranges from a micron to 2km across. Camael can start making Plasma Lances when a host group reaches the 600,000 mark. Camael cannot create lances in space.

EMP & Lightning Strikes:
Camael takes advantage of his "Anion" and "Cation"-type particles and AT-Field to generate a powerful Electromagnetic Field by spinning charged particles in a circle, and then abruptly altering direction. While "charging" the EMP, the Field may attract lightning strikes towards the area, and maybe even the location of the field, if strong enough. However, the EMP generated leaves Camael vulnerable - the pulse disables his Electromagnetic Field-sensing aspect of his AT-Field. Therefore, Camael can also detonate the EMP with a small percentage of his body, away from the majority, to minimize damage.

Supercell:
If Camael particles are not extinguished with the dead body, they can escape into the atmosphere. 500,000 Camael Units have enough AT-Field to develop a Supercell in a Squall Line and perpetuate the Supercell, causing general damage. Camael can use the storm as a distraction to shut down NERV HQ and detection systems, take over larger numbers, bring the core down, or other equally vulnerable activities.

DEFENSE
Outside of its AT-Field, Camael has no other armor. He can regenerate Units if the "Ganglia"-type survives from the host. Regarding evasive maneuvers, Camael can "power down" his AT-Field, appearing on and off sensors at will, while remaining in control of his hosts. Camael has been suspected of putting "spin" on his AT-Field in very large numbers, dispersing energy-based weapons in different random directions, or deflecting it towards another target. Camael has been known to "burrow" into the ground to evade and ensnare opponents. Other than that, Camael rests his defense in numbers, and his high degree of maneuverability. If he can outrun and hide from his opponents, he doesn't need to worry about an actual defense, or so Camael believes.

Strategy

TL;DR: 1. Intelligence-Gathering and Institution-Infiltration 2. Interference with NERV and Evangelion 3. Attack when NERV HQ is most vulnerable

Camael allows some of his hosts to pursue their own interests, and nudges others towards investigating NERV, Evangelion, and locating Adam's body. Possessing NERV Officials to gather information is highest priority, and causing distractions is the second, by sabotage, social movements (both resultsoriented and otherwise), and sometimes assassinations and intimidation. Living, sane, unsuspecting hosts make the best infiltrators – Camael will not waste bodies so easily.

First order of business is shutting down systems linking NERV to the outside world, and defensive and offensive capabilities of Tokyo-3 and the JSSDF. Infiltration of NERV begins as soon as possible, to study NERV HQ and find the location of Adam. Avoiding detection demands highest priority, however. Camael is a less dangerous target when dealt with in its early development. Possession of regular folks is a secondary objective.

Once Camael has satisfactorily infiltrated both institutions, Camael will wait until an opportune moment arrives, such as Evangelion away on a maintainence visit, or better yet, another Angel chooses to attack NERV HQ. Disabling or commandeering Evangelion is a secondary objective; information received observing the attack against Bardiel imply the odds of success stacked against Camael, unless he personally invades a Child, which is unnecessarily difficult to do undetected. Camael will also want to control institutions that service the public, such as the ultilities and especially network news broadcasting.

Large groups of reanimated bodies meanwhile will burrow their way into the edge of the Geofront. NERV might be able to detect Camael's presence here, so he might find another way to enter NERV. Camael groups will almost always act as human as possible, including the reanimated corpses (meaning they will not walk around on street level). they will still act as such, until Camael gives the green light to assault NERV HQ.

Camael selects hosts based on their ability to draw resources away from NERV HQ. Of course, until Camael get his hands on a SEELE member or a core NERV Officer, he cannot do much, provided that the Magi Supercomputers can prevent corruption, and maneuver the municipal government towards a direction with the least possible amount of unhappiness in the general population. What Camael can do is use his pawns to dredge up inflammatory information from NERV to release into the public. Camael can choose to create a powerful system of spies selling information to competing countries, while evading capture until the opportune moment.

When Camael's core has reached the surface, he will accelerate energydraining operations, such as creating conditions to create a terrorist organization the public can support, helping the Japanese Department of the Interior to infiltrate NERV via whistleblowers, and creating the previously-mentioned espionage network.

In a perfect world, Camael would've rallied a high majority of Tokyo-3's population to investigate NERV's actions, armed this same majority (which includes hosts and nonhosts), before assaulting NERV HQ from different areas with this group of people, reanimated corpses, and the JSDF, while a powerful Angel is keeping all Evangelion Units busy, or a past battle put them all in recovery or out of commission. In this scenario, the corpses would hold the highest majority of Camael's AT-Field, to wreck havoc inside NERV HQ, in front of the JSDF strikegroups, getting to Terminal Dogma before they do. By then Camael would've already returned to Adam, if Adam was really situated inside Terminal Dogma.

WARNING: This is just a simulation, Camael may or may not actually follow such detailed and predictable procedures.

Detection, countermeasures, and recommended neutralization strategies

TL;DR: Use anti-personnel weapons to separate "Ganglia" from body, or energy-based weapons to kill on contact.

NERV can possibly detect Camael’s presence in an host's suspiciously accelerated metabolism, but definitely with the changed mental states, but his AT-Field will not be detectable until hundreds of thousands of Camael hosts congregate.

People infected with Camael particles can travel beyond its range, restrained, for approximately 6 days. After, the particles will escape through the host's skin pores, back into the air. Outside of this possibility, we reccommend catching targets in surprise, killing the infected and incinerating remains using industrial furnaces. Camael can be defeated by destroying the central nervous system. This is much easier said than done with one of Camael’s reanimated corpses, as physical ganglia develop around the body; destroying a corpse’s head will not neutralize it. Flamethrowers, automatic shotguns, and weapons that separate as much flesh from body as fast as possible work best. An Evangelion with a fitted Chain Gun, Gatling Gun, or other Autocannon with explosive or incendiary rounds will effectively neutralize most groups of Camael units, until they number in the several millions.

There is a high chance that such weapons will leave "Ganglia" exposed, but untouched. To permanently damage Camael, directed energy-based weapons are recommended, especially those that vaporize targets, ignite the air around it, or have a very large blast radius.

NERV can easily dispatch Camael, because of his modus operandi - information gathering and response. He depends on infering his next moves, so luring all of Camael into human hosts, or at least near the ground, dispersing all of the hosts to divide the AT-Fields, and then releasing several N^2 Payloads onto the area will surely eliminate Camael.
Finding the core before Camael hosts reach 4 million is another way. However, if Camael correctly guesses NERV's plans as they're unfolding, we only have a 3 seconds window to completely carry out their attack, before he counters. Detecting if Camael has understood one's strategy is impossible, however, and that is exactly what he wants. If Camael learns to become more inventive and improvising, we may have much smaller chances of surviving his onslaught.

Name of Designer: TAO

Excellent entry, TAO! Very organized!

So far, we've all be doing very good in time and keeping up with schedules. Great work guys! What we have left:

Aug. 26: Vegeta 20XX Angel
    Aug. 27: Vegeta 20XX Eva
    Aug. 28: chazthesilencer Angel
    Aug. 29: Formless One Angel
    Aug. 30: D. Tuck Eva
    Aug. 31: Slammacow Eva
    Sept. 1: Agentomega Eva

I'm expecting drop outs, since I have not heard from D. Tuck or Slammacow in a long time. Anyone who is further down the list feel free to submit your entry to me ASAP, so we could present you instead in case of no-shows.

I hope by the end of tomorrow I can put things into gear. I don't want a situation like the last LDC where I couldn't post my own entry!
Last edited by Chowwow on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:56 am

NemZ wrote:D-09
:sweatdrop: I think I must have some sort of fetish for things with a detailed back story, it just adds so much to the art... And Aboa, it’s nice having him tied to things versus just kept in the periphery all the time; although it’s fitting that both he and his EVA/relative are pushed aside and relegated to supporting the current pilots. I also thought it was interesting that he basically goes down the same road as his relative, ending up as one of NERV’s junior officers without any particularly close connections to anyone.

Also the dossier really seems just like something you’d find from NERV; it comes off as absolutely creepy, in the most objective/case study sounding way possible, it sounds just like them. The part about snatching a dead man’s soul because it’s convenient and then just cannibalizing the disappointing result is pretty creepy, the part about the delimbed EVAboa going berserk and NERV using him as experiment fodder for Yui’s sake is even more creepy, especially given how neutral and technical sounding the description is. It all just works to highlight just how amoral NERV is. Those simulation models really are the equivalent to zombies.
Oh, and I was wondering, D-9 is Eva00’s sister unit from a biological standpoint, right?
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:36 am

tooooo muuuuuccccchhhh txt !!!!!!!!!
and sounds like zombie story

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:43 am

@tehprognoob: That's what TL;DRs are for.
@TAO: =D High five for electricity and particle-based sleep-state brain-invader Angels!! Oh, and for numerous possessed bodies. Great minds really do think alike.
@Chowwow: I see what you mean by the overriding trends each season now, but then I suppose it makes sense statistically. Oh, and you might like to take my username off that list, much as I don't mind presenting Phanuel all over again. XD

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:55 am

View Original PostAyrYntake wrote:Oh, Chowwow, you might like to take my username off that list, much as I don't mind presenting Phanuel all over again. XD

Why are you so obscure? Why do you have to be a paper work issue all the time?

The schedule has been updated. FYI, Agentomega is being pushed up to Sept. 1, since there is no sense in keeping a blank spot in the schedule there.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:08 am

If Camael were IRL, Nerv needs to start looking into getting the Children Left 4 Dead for practice :D

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:13 am

This context is shaping up to be far better than the previous one. Particle Angel, Storm-Zombie Angel, Sociological Angel, Kali, Mini Counterattack Eva...we're running High On Idea Octane in this thread!

As an aside, Chowwow, are you planning to hold this context next year as well?

(Looks like the paperwork issues are actually far less this time around...)

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:16 am

View Original PostChowwow wrote:Why are you so obscure? Why do you have to be a paper work issue all the time?

Does that win me the "Most Overlooked Designer" Award? :F

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:26 pm

View Original Posttehprognoob wrote:If Camael were IRL, Nerv needs to start looking into getting the Children Left 4 Dead for practice :D

Now I wish I could draw Shinji in Unit-01, watching Tokyo-3 paramilitary forces mow down millions of sentient, conscious rioters. /overreacting

Reviews.

NemZ: I enjoyed reading both of your entries. Smart Angels are always fun angels. To be irritatingly nitpicky, having the relief working not report in his find felt very suspicious, but I'm sure we can chalk up such anomalies to human error or something like that.

D-09 was just fun to read. You really described GEHIRN/NERV/SEELE's singlemindedness well, and it was nice of you to take advantage of Aoba's character and develop his background. I don't really know you too well, but I admire your eye for detail.

oOoOoOo: Damn, I need to meet more people like you! I really enjoyed the whole backstory of Kali. Unit-M's concept felt very refreshing for robot animes. Kali/Asuka is really fucked up and depressing and sweet at the same time, maybe I don't get out too often, but she felt alive to me. At some times the story didn't seem very coherent, but as AyrYntake pointed out, complaining about that seems like laziness on my part.

I get reminded of Hellsing's Walter C. Dornez with Unit-M, but I put presentation as more important than "originality," (since both are related anyways) usually a matter of coincidence than plagiarism. Or maybe social outcasts get easily amused by drug-induced literature.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:37 pm

@ Camael:

While I definately appreciate the effort to add so much detail to the entry, it's also a detriment because this angel feels like it has far too much going on. Zombie plague, 'brain slugs', or the living thunderstorm; any one of these is probably a strong enough idea to stand on it's own but doing all three dilutes the theme and makes it harder to really 'grok' the design.

Don't get me wrong, I like Camael... I'd just like it more if it had a shaper focus.

Responses:
Synapsid:
That cold, detached vibe is precisely what I was going for; an expanded history lesson with a side-order of Nerv-brand casual horror. Yes, D-09 (and 10) are identical siblings of Eva-00, and if not for Aoba's uncle's accident D-09 would have been the Eva that Rei piloted.

TAO:
I was thinking the relief worker was looking at his '2I meteor' as either a personal souvenir or something to sell later, neither of which would be likely outcomes if the proper authorities became aware of it. Besides, the scientists had to have plenty more where that came from to understand what really happened, right? :sly:

Return to “Fan Works”