New Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

New Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:16 pm

The first episode of season 5 just finished airing in the UK, and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions of the new Doctor/new series.

Personally I liked the new episode, the beginning was brilliant, the pacing in the middle was a little off, but the ending was still good. I'll have to see a bit more of Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor before I can form a real opinion, but so far so good...

SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://img709.imageshack.us/i/1270321721532.gif/]Image[/URL]

^Anyone agree/disagree?
Last edited by master_lloyd on Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

The Triforce Fighter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Triforce Fighter » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Totally agreeing with what you just said! I've only now realised how much I've missed everyones favorite Time Lord. I think Matt Smith first episode was possibly better than David's = P Although he quote Lion King and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and no awesome references to pick up this time round. Guess you can't have it always.

Also, after watching the 'Coming Soon' trailer was I right in thinking that I saw River Song? I mean Steven Moffatt wrote 'Silence in the Library' so out of all the 'Tennent era' characters to come back she would make the most sense seeing as Moffatt is the new Russall T Davies.

Anyways I can't wait to see what happens next. Zombie Cybermen and Daleks that are fighting in WW2! This is why I love Doctor Who X D

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:37 pm

View Original PostThe Triforce Fighter wrote: I think Matt Smith first episode was possibly better than David's

I'm inclined to disagree a bit, perhaps due to a bad case of the nostalgia's. I liked 10's introduction more for some reason, even if he did spend most of the time in a coma, this may have been due to the familiarity of seeing Rose's family and stuff, so everything didn't seem all new. With this new episode almost everything was different, the Doctor, companion, TARDIS, even the way it was filmed (I'm looking at you, weird matrix/CSI panning shot) and, at first at least, it was a bit jarring. But it was certainly a good episode, particularly the beginning and ending.

View Original PostThe Triforce Fighter wrote:Also, after watching the 'Coming Soon' trailer was I right in thinking that I saw River Song? I mean Steven Moffatt wrote 'Silence in the Library' so out of all the 'Tennent era' characters to come back she would make the most sense seeing as Moffatt is the new Russall T Davies.

Anyways I can't wait to see what happens next. Zombie Cybermen and Daleks that are fighting in WW2! This is why I love Doctor Who X D

River song is confirmed for at least 4 eps I think; a two parter involving the weeping angels, and the finale. But since Moffat established River Song as a future companion, it's possible we're going to see a lot more of her (I'm speculating that Moffat will do a similar thing to 'Eleventh Hour' and 'The Girl in the Fireplace' where the Doctor appears at lots of different times during her life).

Also Zombie Cybermen and Nazi-spy Daleks are why we all love Doctor Who! History lessons are far more fun when they involve robot aliens from the future!
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:38 am

I just saw it here in the U.S. (WonderCon was showing an special premiere), and I really liked it. I've never watched Dr. Who before, but I know my mom is a big nut about it, and after watching it she explained to me the gist of everything; I'm quite compelled and I may start following this series.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:28 am

[URL=http://img202.imageshack.us/i/1270377762288.jpg/]Image[/URL]

^An amusing 'Advice Doctor' I spotted on my inter-travels.
Eva Facts:

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:11 am

Wow, a new logo, a new title sequence, a new musical theme, a new head writer, a new companion, and of course a new Doctor -- we're getting as close to a total reboot as Doctor Who gets. I have to say I'm happy; Tennant was brilliant, but Russell T. Davies seemed to have monster-of-the-week tunnel vision and Steven Moffatt wrote some of the best episodes of the previous few series. As I understand it, he was one of the principal torch-bearers in the dark period between 1989 and 2005, editing Doctor Who Magazine and co-writing the Comic Relief special "The Curse of Fatal Death."

It seems we're getting a continuation of the joy and exuberance that Tennant brought to the role with Matt Smith so far, bordering on arrogance. I have to wonder if this season will see the humbling of the Time Lord in the same way Eccleston's season ended with his realization that he had become a monster of a warrior.

It's worth noting that Matt Smith would be the first Doctor young enough to have mostly grown up in the period when Doctor Who was off the air, and yet I feel like this incarnation is at least as true to the original as the past few. Still, no crochety old men in scarecrow suits this time (sadly enough?). He seems to be pulling off the role of a 900-year-old quite well.

And did I spot Vincent van Gogh in the previews? I suppose that might be one of this year's historical episodes. I would really, really, really like to see some more multipart stories with depth beyond what they can do in a frenetic fifty minutes. This series' music and design, so far, remind me of a 1940s adventure serial, or Indiana Jones.

In any case, the new outfit makes me think that I might be on the lookout for some tweeds before this year's Otakon... I like it.

Also, just saw this link on Slashdot to a classic bit from the Tom Baker serial "The City of Death," with John Cleese making a cameo. Must get back to the old series at some point. (Tom Baker's autobiography is a rollicking good read, by the way, even if he glosses over how he basically abandoned his first wife).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7VglzL_NZE

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:30 pm

I think this thread is incomplete without my input.

Personally, I can't wait to see it. I'm looking at "The Waters of Mars" and "The End of Time 2-Disc Set" as my next big purchase.

By the way, S5 is currently in this week's TV Guide. Wa-hey!
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:53 pm

View Original PostSharaz Destler wrote:I think this thread is incomplete without my input.

Agreed, I was actually surprised you hadn't commented earlier...
View Original PostSharaz Destler wrote:Personally, I can't wait to see it. I'm looking at "The Waters of Mars" and "The End of Time 2-Disc Set" as my next big purchase.

The Water of Mars was a brilliant episode:
I loved how it put the Doctor in the awkward position of meddling with a 'fixed point in time', also the ending when he finally goes mad with power and pushes it too far was epic.

The End of Time two parter was very good, and the last 20 minutes were some of the most tear-jerking television I'd seen in years. Say what you like about Russell T Davies, but the man can do emotional very well, and at the same time mix it with humour. Also Tennant was on top form for all the 2009 specials. I'm really going to miss the 10th...
Eva Facts:

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:22 pm

He meddled in the Pompey episode, it's just that it seemed he was more aware of his consequences that time.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:17 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:He meddled in the Pompey episode, it's just that it seemed he was more aware of his consequences that time.

He meddled a bit by saving the one family (the sort of "little people" he referred to in his 'Timelord Victorious' speech), but he still preserved the timeline by making the volcano to erupt. However in Waters of Mars he seemed intent on completely changing the timeline by allowing Adelaide to live, despite the potential advancement of the human race resting on the fact that her death apparently inspires further space exploration.

It was great seeing his reaction as she shot herself, the look of helplessness, the sort of "knocking down a peg or two" the Doctor needs every now and then to show he isn't perfect.
Eva Facts:

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:19 pm

View Original Postmaster_lloyd wrote:Agreed, I was actually surprised you hadn't commented earlier...

Eh, research papers, writer's block and all that.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

WellManicuredMan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby WellManicuredMan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:09 pm

I enjoyed the new episode. It was probably one of Moffat's weaker episodes, but even his weaker episodes are head and shoulders above some of the weaker episodes of the past 4 series.

I found Matt Smith a lot easier to get used to than I thought, although I was already prepared for a good performance from him--although I felt like he was a younger version of David Tennant at some times.

Here's to what looks so far like a great new series of Doctor Who! I'm particularly looking forward to the two-parter with the Weeping Angels, which, if my calculations are correct, will be twice as scary as "Blink."

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:05 pm

Space Whales and Elizabeth the 10th made for an enjoyable, if not exactly action-packed episode. In other news, Amy Pond continues to be awesome, and Matt Smith is settling in as a solidly good Doctor.

But I think what I'm really looking forward to is ep3, Mark Gatiss penned Nazi Daleks and Spitfire space battles should provide some much needed EPIC.
Eva Facts:

The Triforce Fighter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Triforce Fighter » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:16 pm

I wonder if there's a plant pot somewhere near this space whale = P

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:57 pm

View Original PostThe Triforce Fighter wrote:I wonder if there's a plant pot somewhere near this space whale = P

Why not, the last episode employed a Somebody Else's Problem field...

Space Whales aside, this episode brought up a lot of interesting questions that felt very rushed, and again left me wishing for more multipart serials like the old days.

Also, a brief introduction to the new series I thought was well-done: http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/opinions/about_time.php

The Triforce Fighter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Triforce Fighter » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:23 pm

Quite liked the latest episode of Doctor Who. Power Ranger Daleks! I do love Doctor Who for its off the wall moments. Threatening to blow up a Dalek ship with a Jammy Dodger? Genius! Or how about the Dalek offering people cups of tea X D

I do think the new Daleks are a bit to bulky though. I quite liked the old ones = / Oh well out with the old and in with the new! Least they did an episode explaining what happened to the old ones and not just suddenly introducing the new ones = P
Last edited by The Triforce Fighter on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:09 am

I didn't really like the new metrosexual rainbow Daleks. Is it me or is Steven Moffat deliberately removing any trace of Russell T Davies? Even going as far to erase Amy's memory of the Daleks invading earth (probably not, I'm sure this is a plot point that'll come up later. Probably nearer the finale).

I can't really put my finger on it, but I didn't enjoy this episode as much as the others, it seemed to badly lull in parts, and then go far too fast the rest of the time. Maybe my hopes were raised too high from the Spitfires in space preview (which was still made for an awesome scene, so no complaints there).
Eva Facts:

The Triforce Fighter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Triforce Fighter » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:16 am

View Original Postmaster_lloyd wrote:I didn't really like the new metrosexual rainbow Daleks. Is it me or is Steven Moffat deliberately removing any trace of Russell T Davies? Even going as far to erase Amy's memory of the Daleks invading earth (probably not, I'm sure this is a plot point that'll come up later. Probably nearer the finale).

I think to a certain extent thats exactly what Moffat is doing and I do reckon what you said about Amy forgetting everything is defiantly a plot point otherwise The Doctor wouldn't have kept bringing it up.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:21 pm

Well, in the spirit of speculation and fan wankery, I present this article written on the very subject of Moffat's timeline tinkering and how it might be leading to a Sixth Sense-esque "OH SHIT!" moment.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/04/14/the-great-doctor-who-conspiracy-of-the-fifth-season/

In other news, Russell T Davies will be writing a 2-part episode for the 11th Doctor...

...in Sarah Jane Adventures
http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/108/1084468p1.html
Eva Facts:

The Triforce Fighter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Triforce Fighter » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:01 pm

View Original Postmaster_lloyd wrote:http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/04/14/the-great-doctor-who-conspiracy-of-the-fifth-season/

Mind blown. Would make sense I guess and I wouldn't put it past Moffat. This IS Doctor Who after all.

Anyways Weeping Angels in my eyes just got even scarier! I mean a whole army of them X D Plus the whole snapping of the necks and vocal chords ripped out seemed rather morbid for a 7:00 family TV program. Or was it just me who found that un-nerving? I'm looking forward to see what'll happen to Amy though in the next one. Doubt she'll actually BECOME a Weeping Angel though (Although that would be cool).

Return to “Film and Video”