So, was emo Asuka really trying to be AN HERO in #24?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:05 am

Based off the faucet I wanna say it's rust. Also there's no glass/blade or sharp object visible with blood on it. Also the show was pretty anal about details and other then stress/anxiety there aren't any signs that show Asuka wanting to commit suicide. But that isn't clear ether because there was no for Asuka to talk to anyway. The Iv might be clue of heavy blood loss but It could also mean she was just dehydrated from malnutrition. Which would make sense since she went rogue for a while and people who do get dehydrated end up in the hospital and feel very sick/weak for a while. But that seems overly complicated and Misato didn't show the typical signs of a child abuser so Asuka might've been cutting herself. What ever the case it doesn't matter because she was in the process of suicidal thinking:
lost of hope
lost of purpose
lost of appetite
separating your-self from everyone
etc
which is equivalent to actually trying to kill yourself when trying to send the message of hitting rock-bottom emotionally.

As for the bandages when I was taught to apply an Iv in basic training we used a bandage/clear tape and not regular bandages like the one shown in the images and we applied it by the elbow not the wrist but I'm not medic or nurse so I don't know the standard or if it matters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zlink64 wrote:
As for being a hero
Know your memes. There's a difference between being a hero and going to be an hero.

Ty sorry Mr.tines
Last edited by zlink64 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:36 am, edited 11 times in total.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:23 am

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:As for being a hero
Know your memes. There's a difference between being a hero and going to be an hero.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Fleetleader101
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fleetleader101 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:55 pm

A roman bath is very likely here, but... if feels as if Anno relooked at it and added it in at a later time, possibly due to censorship.

I wouldnt put it her away from her state of mind to pull this off.

Good find.
Asuka and Shinji are no doubt a couple and Rebuild is a sequel. There is no debate.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Asuka's alledged suicide attempt in 24

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:59 am

Nah.

SPOILER: Show

No bandages or marks. One wrist has some tape on it but they appear to be there to keep IV drips etc in place

Whatever that is in the bath in 24, it aint blood. Most likely its the after-effects of excessive fanwank.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:53 am

Do we know how much time passes between her arrest by the NERV agents and the scene with Shinji?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:09 am

As far as I knew EoE follows immediately on from 24. Given that EoE is closer to the ending to the original show that Anno & Co intended, this would make sense. Events and dialogue seem to bear this out.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:03 am

I've always stood by the belief that the "Blood" in the Renewal set was just the rust we see in the original touched up. No doubt in my mind Asuka went there to die, but I'm far from convinced she actually tried to actively do the deed rather than just lay in apathy.

But still, I think that's far from conclusive evidence she didn't cut herself. Quite possible bandages on her wrists slipped by Anno.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:15 am

Even if she didn't slit her wrists, I think it's possible she may have tried to kill herself in some other way. I know that we don't see any evidence of it, but could she have tried to overdose on something?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:16 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Even if she didn't slit her wrists, I think it's possible she may have tried to kill herself in some other way. I know that we don't see any evidence of it, but could she have tried to overdose on something?

Entirely possible but the "blood," and the idea that Anno enhanced it in Renewal, is a rather large part of the theory. Remove that and the argument becomes much less convincing.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:33 pm

Thats true, about being suicidal she could be simply leaving herself there to die. The most significant thing to me is that shes taken her a10 headset off.

But obviously shes been taken into protective custody primarily because shes lost her marbles rather than being a suicide risk specifically.

Also, I thought I spotted a similarity to the shot of the shower head from Asuka's POV in 24 and the final shot of Asuka's arm splitting in EoE - but I think i'm overthinking things. Go check and you'll see where im coming from.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:37 pm

What matters most are her motives during the scene. She had gone there to literally waste away and die; she had lost the motivation to live on. Regardless of whether or not she cut herself, the scene is still Asuka's suicide attempt and where she's hit rock bottom (where we see Shinji during EoE). The red color of the bath tub may simply be a visual allusion to the "Roman Bath."

EDIT: And for further reference of the original discussion thread, see here.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:16 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:What matters most are her motives during the scene. She had gone there to literally waste away and die; she had lost the motivation to live on. Regardless of whether or not she cut herself, the scene is still Asuka's suicide attempt and where she's hit rock bottom (where we see Shinji during EoE). The red color of the bath tub may simply be a visual allusion to the "Roman Bath."

Pretty much, suicide attempt or not Asuka has already lost everything by that point, she is already dead in there. Pretty sad now that i think of it.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:47 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:What matters most are her motives during the scene. She had gone there to literally waste away and die; she had lost the motivation to live on. Regardless of whether or not she cut herself, the scene is still Asuka's suicide attempt and where she's hit rock bottom (where we see Shinji during EoE). The red color of the bath tub may simply be a visual allusion to the "Roman Bath."

No way. There's a very distinct difference between pure apathy, letting yourself waste away, and an actual suicide attempt. I can say from experience that the jump from "losing the motivation to live" and "having the motivation to die" is huge. If we're going to call that a suicide attempt it, at least, needs an asterisk next to it.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:33 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:No way. There's a very distinct difference between pure apathy, letting yourself waste away, and an actual suicide attempt. I can say from experience that the jump from "losing the motivation to live" and "having the motivation to die" is huge. If we're going to call that a suicide attempt it, at least, needs an asterisk next to it.

The actions may be different, but the intent is the same: she wanted to die, and if her plan was to just sit there until it happened that would be intentional self-termination, in other words passive suicide, even if it's just there on a symbolic level.

In any case, the theme of death and destruction of spirit are quite apparent in this scene, and it's clear that something had died in Asuka that wouldn't be revived again until her recovery in EoE.
Last edited by Sachi on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:35 pm

And in the case of Asuka, i think a passive suicide would be even more shocking than an active one, since it's very unlike her.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Gtamor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gtamor » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:57 pm

It makes so much sense that Asuka would have attempted suicide in that bathtub but the biggest problem is: how did she survive?

It seems impossible to me that someone who cut her wrist would recover on her own.

Unless, of course, she never intended on killing herself and it wall all for attention.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:24 pm

View Original PostGtamor wrote:how did she survive?
The Men in Black from Section II arrived in the nick of time.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:50 pm

How much time was there from episode 22 to 24? I am wondering because in 22 Asuka complains about her period and uh doesn't menstrual fluid contain some blood? And like zlink64 said the tub could just be rusty.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:34 pm

I can never lay my hands on any of the time-lines when I need them; but there was enough time elapsed for Asuka's stay at Hikari's playing games all day to have worn out her welcome, before Armisael's arrival, and for Ritsuko's abduction, interrogation and return, after the rubble has stopped bouncing and a new Rei has been decanted.

Also, the biggest mass of the red is by her right hand.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:53 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Also, the biggest mass of the red is by her right hand.
too much of tub is in shadows to conclude that, plus blood is liquid therefore flows so any change in tub elevation would cause blood to flow to lower elevated portions and it would not be impossible given the state of the building for the tub to be on a slope.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”