So, was emo Asuka really trying to be AN HERO in #24?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:11 am

AuraTwilight wrote:Seconded on that WTF-sandwich. Son, you ever seen old blood?

no, i like my victims fresh :w00:
for your better understanding, fresh flowing blood doesnt stain in WATER, it will float untill it coagulates and the more heavy parts preciptate, the image looks more like old rust, than a fresh blood trail, or precipitated blood, if it was blood, from the look it would seem someone was scratching the tub too hard with her nails, and left that blood trail.

lolwtf to you.
ANATA BAKA !?

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:25 am

:-{|
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:30 am

bladerj wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:Seconded on that WTF-sandwich. Son, you ever seen old blood?

no, i like my victims fresh :w00:
for your better understanding, fresh flowing blood doesnt stain in WATER, it will float untill it coagulates and the more heavy parts preciptate, the image looks more like old rust, than a fresh blood trail, or precipitated blood, if it was blood, from the look it would seem someone was scratching the tub too hard with her nails, and left that blood trail.

lolwtf to you.

Trying to put realism about the situation in a show where the pilots sit in fluid the entire time yet the show completely ignores this after the first couple episodes and ignore physics.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:36 am

I think a few of you need to go home and sit in the tub and cut your wrists*. Then come back and we'll compare the results. That's the only way we'll ever solve this.

*Don't actually do this. I bear no responsibility if any of you are stupid enough to do it.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:56 pm

ZapX wrote:I think a few of you need to go home and sit in the tub and cut your wrists*. Then come back and we'll compare the results. That's the only way we'll ever solve this.

*Don't actually do this. I bear no responsibility if any of you are stupid enough to do it.

dude, i actually know a friend who did this, so i have more phisical insight than most of you, just cut your finger with a pin, put on a glass with water and watch what happens.
ANATA BAKA !?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:12 pm

Or, of course, we could all think of the catgirls.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:15 pm

bladerj wrote:dude...

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:28 pm

ZapX wrote:
bladerj wrote:dude...

lol no, i quote the wrong person, i meant the guy before you.
ANATA BAKA !?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:33 pm

you still missed the point

could we please let the catgirls alone for a moment?

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:04 pm

Blood is more dense than water, so it would definitely not float.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:23 pm

It doesn't either sink or float. Blood in water diffuses, somewhat like milk in tea, or ink in water.

In addition, the mechanics of blood in water have absolutely no bearing on this scene. The water is off.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:23 pm

We can't chalk this up to taking some artistic liscence? We're talking about anime physics here.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:24 am

I think it's just rust, but I also think it's intentionally put there to subliminally suggest she's taking a roman bath. The point has never been the details of how she's trying to die, just that the audience understands that she does in fact want to.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:12 am

The impression I got with the scene is that she's just going to sit there and wait until she dies but all she can do is stare into the sky waiting for it.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:18 am

Just one thing and I might be wrong here. Sometimes women can have more than one period a month. Specially during high stress situations.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:25 pm

Fazmotron wrote:Blood is more dense than water, so it would definitely not float.

read my post again, wise wikiman, fressh flowing blood floats, then precipitate, if you pour blood into water it will not sink imediatly,most of what sinks is iron and other components, plasma and lighter tends to float untill they dissipate.

never saw those fishing boats baiting for shark ? have you seen whaling boats and how there is a river of blood following the ship ? guess why that happens.

ANATA BAKA !?

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:31 pm

You're confusing the scale of things. According to your picture it may seem as blood floats but try cutting yourself above a small glass of water, what happens. It sinks.

You say the heavier components of the blood sinks first but you fail to take into account the viscosity of blood, besides you're not gonna get a huge seperation between the plasma and the cellular component unless you do something drastic like centrifuge it.

Plasma = mainly water similar to sea water so even plasma wouldn't really float, it would just hang out with the other stuff in the ocean.

Lastly, blood isn't some magical component that exists outside the laws of physics. When it comes to fluids and sinking and stuff, it either sinks/floats or is the same density and just diffuses or something. Blood = denser than water, which means it sinks. You can't say "oh it doesn't sink fast so it must be floating" cuz that's friggin stupid.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 pm

Study of specific gravity of whole blood and plasma: http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/abstract/20/5/615
At body temperature, whole blood has a specific gravity of 1.0506, and plasma has 1.0205.

Specific gravity of water: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-gravity-liquids-d_336.html
Pure water, obviously is 1, salt water is about 1.025-ish at 77F.

So blood has a higher specific gravity than even salt water, but not by much, so it will sink slowly in still water. Given that there's some heat in the water, the Brownian motion itself is enough to eventually mix the two, considering there's a person in the still water, it will mix a bit faster.

As already mentioned in this thread, it would either be anime-physics-just-bled-blood, or it's not blood at all.

Discussion about the blood ends here because it's turning out to be a tangent.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:21 am

zilluss wrote:I haven't found any mention in the thread, but after seeing Ep 22' I wonder why nobody mentioned the connection because in Ep 24 Asuka has her very own Bath Tub (no need to share with Misato and Shinji).

That's exactly what I was thinking. I think that scene was more symbolic of the idea that, even though she 'hates' Misato and Shinji and expresses such in 22' she ends up in a bathtub again in 24, possibly because in some way, she wants them [Did that make sense?] I don't think she tried to kill herself, if anything I reckon she'd sit there and rot away and that's it.

The bandages on her wrist didn't prove anything to me either, needles where inserted where those bandages were, and from what I imagine they usually do wrap bandages around inserted needles to prevent infection. I could ask my friend who was hospitalised for a few months about this to be sure though.

It might be possible to even suggest that the red in the tub might be someone else's blood, after all, with that explosion I wouldn't be surprised there were some causualites [This is a long shot but I feel it's worth mentioning.]

I also feel there's some connection between that bathtub scene, and the bathtub scenes we see with Misato and Shinji earlier on, but I can't figure out what just yet and that's not really related to this discussion.

Heroslayer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Heroslayer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:28 pm

Not to sound weird, but isn't LCL that color also. I mean, it's usually shown as being close to the color of blood.

She mentions a Sync Test, so couldn't that mean this is after that and she was supposed to wash the LCL off but instead just sat there. The LCL could have just dripped off of her and pooled at the bottom of the tub.
"When a man bleeds freely for the sake of other people, it's only proper that you pretend you never saw it!" Musashi from Eyeshield 21

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”