Adult swim. Ugh.

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:25 pm

I am actually kinda annoyed about it, it is going to become one of those things that seven year olds see and act like they are cool because of it.

And that will ruin Eva.

That makes absolutely no sense.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Toilet Duck
Lilith

Re: Adult swim. Ugh.

•      
  •      

Postby Toilet Duck » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:12 am

Josko wrote:I got this email tonight from ADV, so I watched it. HORRIBLY done. Every scene change, the frame jumps about an inch.

consider this your introduction to the infamous "gainax jitter".

the version shown on cartoon network is adv's older release of evangelion, which also had different "next episode" segments - those were cobbled together from scratch, whereas the ones in "platinum" kept the original animation and simply had a new voiceover dubbed in.

oh yeah, and the "gollum" commentary perfectly illustrates my image of an annoyingly obsessive evangelion fan.
"Do you think Reis big giant head would be enough to make a nuclear winter?" --defectron

Being banned from GodTube = VICTOLY

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:08 am

sachiel wrote:I was asleep until I heard Spike Spencer go, "I musn't run away!" in that horrible voice of his.

XD The rest of the episode made me giggle, and yet got me all depressed at the same time. What kind of attention is this going to attract for the series? And how much are they really going to cut out?

They showed EoE on an HBO channel. My friend was watching it, and they CUT OUT GNR. D: That's like. Half the movie right there. And the scientists being tangified, and most of the Instrumentality sequence.

So it was what, ten minutes long?
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:18 am

Tsu-chan wrote:"Eva is for smart sophisticated people and teenage boys with sexual problems!"

:lol: </grammarwhore>

Space Penis wrote:So it was what, ten minutes long?

Probably about that. I didn't see it. :(
i AM the internets.

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:04 am

I WAS going to point out that "Sophisticated" isn't spelled "Syfisticated" and then point out the irony of that entire statement included the word "Smart." But someone TECHNICALLY got to it before I did so I'll just giggle to myself.

Anywho, I am nervous to watch it. Watching it for 5 minutes on AS just made me want to put it back on my computer and watch it.

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:53 pm

Eternal Yamcha wrote:I WAS going to point out that "Sophisticated" isn't spelled "Syfisticated" and then point out the irony of that entire statement included the word "Smart." But someone TECHNICALLY got to it before I did so I'll just giggle to myself.

Anywho, I am nervous to watch it. Watching it for 5 minutes on AS just made me want to put it back on my computer and watch it.

well, if you do decide to watch it, dont stay up for Squidbillies.

Really, dont.

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:39 pm

I also hear that EVA did for anime what Nirvana did for rock, so the MTV quote seems not inappropriate. But MTV didn't jump on the bandwagon; they have been covering anime longer than many EVANGELION fans have been alive.

The first segment they did on it was in late 1988, a Kurt Loder piece on MTV News focusing on the AKIRA manga and anime. Clips of the Japanese trailer were shown, together with short translated commentary from Katsuhiro Otomo. Bill Sienkienwicz, at the time one of the hottest U.S. comics artists, talked about the wide varieties of story genre you could find in manga, and MTV flashed many excerpts (including a shot of Ryo Saeba reading a newspaper on the toilet). Finally, Kurt Loder talked about some of the manga which were just beginning to be published in English then, including LONE WOLF AND CUB and MAI THE PSYCHIC GIRL.

The piece was remarkable for combining accuracy (something you can't count on in coverage about anime, even today) with MTV's visual flair in the edits (something Gainax, inspired by MTV to make DAICON IV, would have appreciated). The only dumb thing in it was some cheerful (Japanese) muzak that had obviously come with the canned Katsuhiro Otomo interview; otherwise MTV let the incredible AKIRA main theme (the Geinoh Yamashirogumi's "Kaneda") be the background to the piece.

Don't worry too much about these new EVA fans discovering the show through Adult Swim—pretty soon they will be frantically masturbating to pictures of Asuka, in-between long, convoluted postings on the significance of a smudge in episode 18. In other words, your normal evamonkey member.

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby anatrok » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:48 pm

Like I've said before, I like EVA getting this mainstream exposure. Finally another "real" anime on CN. If EVA get's popular, which it should, on the pure basis of it BEING anime on Adult Swim, then I can finally get them Asuka blow up dolls, and maybe them groundwork books, and a re-release of Der Mond.

Carl Horn wrote:I also hear that EVA did for anime what Nirvana did for rock...

Have you ever made a post without mentioning Nirvana or Kurt? :wink:
But that reminds me of how much I wanna see Last Days.....

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:14 pm

anatrok wrote:Like I've said before, I like EVA getting this mainstream exposure. Finally another "real" anime on CN. If EVA get's popular, which it should, on the pure basis of it BEING anime on Adult Swim, then I can finally get them Asuka blow up dolls, and maybe them groundwork books, and a re-release of Der Mond.

Carl Horn wrote:I also hear that EVA did for anime what Nirvana did for rock...

Have you ever made a post without mentioning Nirvana or Kurt? :wink:
But that reminds me of how much I wanna see Last Days.....

Actually, it was WIRED which said that about EVANGELION. But, yeah, I liked LAST DAYS, although I think it beats even EVA for the longest still frames.

Something else new EVA fans will discover is something that happens to every new viewer sooner or later...there comes a point, at a certain episode, it varies...where you begin to feel the inspiring opening credits are becoming increasingly inappropriate to the mood of the series. It would have been interesting if the mix of both the song and the visuals in the opening underwent a gradual shift as the show went on, as the ending credits did.

ferrarimanf355
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:02 am

I'll tell you what's so bad about the Adult Swim airings: some retard... I mean, special person thought it was cool to schedule 12 Oz. Mouse and Squidbillies before Eva. Those two shows, on average, drain my IQ 30 points. Each. Not the best thing to schedule two painfully unfunny reasons why American animation is mostly dead to me (aside from Family Guy and Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law) before an anime that requires a lot of thinking. I hope AS fixes this before the alleged psychobabble starts... or is it too late already?
myspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobig... I am a banana!

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:23 pm

ferrarimanf355 wrote:I'll tell you what's so bad about the Adult Swim airings: some retard... I mean, special person thought it was cool to schedule 12 Oz. Mouse and Squidbillies before Eva. Those two shows, on average, drain my IQ 30 points. Each. Not the best thing to schedule two painfully unfunny reasons why American animation is mostly dead to me (aside from Family Guy and Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law) before an anime that requires a lot of thinking. I hope AS fixes this before the alleged psychobabble starts... or is it too late already?

I stayed up to watch Squidbillies one night and I dont know how anything that stupid can get produced.

Personally, I like some American cartoons. Ren & Stimpy (old onces, not the new disgusting ones) and some nickelodeon toons from ages back (you know, Rocko's Modern Life, Angry Beavers)

Yeah. I liked the shittiest shows out of the bunch.

ferrarimanf355
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:36 pm

Shnooks wrote:
ferrarimanf355 wrote:I'll tell you what's so bad about the Adult Swim airings: some retard... I mean, special person thought it was cool to schedule 12 Oz. Mouse and Squidbillies before Eva. Those two shows, on average, drain my IQ 30 points. Each. Not the best thing to schedule two painfully unfunny reasons why American animation is mostly dead to me (aside from Family Guy and Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law) before an anime that requires a lot of thinking. I hope AS fixes this before the alleged psychobabble starts... or is it too late already?

I stayed up to watch Squidbillies one night and I dont know how anything that stupid can get produced.

Personally, I like some American cartoons. Ren & Stimpy (old onces, not the new disgusting ones) and some nickelodeon toons from ages back (you know, Rocko's Modern Life, Angry Beavers)

Hey, man, I understand where you're going. I'm still scratching my head about how Squidbillies, 12 Oz. Mouse and Tom Goes To The Mayor got green-lighted...

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:21 pm

Shnooks wrote:

That's got me wondering what was on before and after EVA in Japan. I've got my off-air tapes from 1995 somewhere, which might have some hints. I tend to remember the SEGA! commercials in the middle better.

Hey, does the Adult Swim version also have only one commercial break in the middle, or do they have two breaks? If so, where do they put the eyecatch?

—C.

"Evangelion is some really popular anime cartoon about some unlikable kid who whines about how badly his life sucks while insanely hot female cartoon ladies dance around him."
--SomethingAwful.com

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:35 pm

Carl Horn wrote:That's got me wondering what was on before and after EVA in Japan. I've got my off-air tapes from 1995 somewhere, which might have some hints. I tend to remember the SEGA! commercials in the middle better.

Hey, does the Adult Swim version also have only one commercial break in the middle, or do they have two breaks? If so, where do they put the eyecatch?

—C.

"Evangelion is some really popular anime cartoon about some unlikable kid who whines about how badly his life sucks while insanely hot female cartoon ladies dance around him."
--SomethingAwful.com

On most shows, I think they have....hmmm....

Well, Trigun had 1 break, and Trigun had a little thing to stop it, you know, between breaks.

Most other shows have 2. What they'll probably do with eva is just stop it, and then start it up again from a few minutes where they left off.

ferrarimanf355
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:56 pm

Carl Horn wrote:Hey, does the Adult Swim version also have only one commercial break in the middle, or do they have two breaks? If so, where do they put the eyecatch?

Just one commercial break. This applies to all shows on Adult Swim, not just anime shows. 8)

Toilet Duck
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Toilet Duck » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:33 pm

i'm assuming they're just not going to show the first eyecatch at all. they did have the second one for "the beast" (but not for "angel attack"), so i'm not sure how the rest will be.

while i'm at it, hurrah for ridiculously and unnecessarily long episode titles ("those women longed for the touch of others' lips, and thus invited their kisses.").
"Do you think Reis big giant head would be enough to make a nuclear winter?" --defectron

Being banned from GodTube = VICTOLY

ferrarimanf355
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:40 pm

Toilet Duck wrote:i'm assuming they're just not going to show the first eyecatch at all. they did have the second one for "the beast" (but not for "angel attack"), so i'm not sure how the rest will be.

while i'm at it, hurrah for ridiculously and unnecessarily long episode titles ("those women longed for the touch of others' lips, and thus invited their kisses.").

Yeah, I didn't notice an eyecatch for the first episode, but there was one for the second. I can back that up.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”