What anime are you watching right now? May07-Feb10

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:51 am

chazthesilencer wrote: However, beyond ep 6*, this show really has become the DullZord...
While the excellent artwork has remained consistent, I've also noticed how static the scenes can be- with characters just standing around, talking.
And there really is a lot of talking...too much...the pacing is too slow at times. Break out the friggin spear, already.
:lol: yeah, that was a flaw with Moribito. There are some shows where exposition & dialogue are a bit more tolerable due to their atmosphere & environment, but Moribito struck me as too Miyazaki-esque to make that kind of dialogue worthwhile. It was interesting, but I think a lot of it could have been cut out or replaced with actual imagery instead of just two heads sitting in a hut talking. This is ultimately why I gave Moribito an 8/10 rather than a 9; if it had handled its ‘slow down, cool down’ middle section a little better, it coulda been a lot better.
chazthesilencer wrote: From the start, one could easily see a potential "monster(assassin)-of-the-week" show in the works:
"The royal guards have failed their task! Now we dispatch - Diclonius #7!!!"
I was both relieved and disappointed this didn't happen.
I thought it handled the overall plot line rather well, up until the end. The end was where my only complaints rested, simply because it felt a little too… contrived, I guess,
SPOILER: Show
with how everyone suddenly teamed up and there was absolutely NO paranoia, fear of backstabbing, plotting, etc. that would typically go on in a court of that size.
The end was cool, just an anticlimax in more than a few ways. I do have to admit that I found it interesting how it would start one of the middle-arc’s episodes off with the illusion of “filler” and then slide some key important information thing in there around the middle/end of the episode.

Jimbo wrote: Wasn't Macross Plus a OVA? I actually have that and have seen it.
Macross Plus was the kickass OVA directed by Shinichiro Watanabe. Macross Zero was that other one.

Xard wrote: Our hero is retarded paranoid fucknut who should've died way back in first ep.
:lol: he gets better. Or, well, he relegates himself to status of “witness” more than “hero”.
Unfortunately, TEXHNOLYZE suffers from the disastrous defect that the climax takes place halfway through the series -- and it then promptly falls completely to pieces. It's almost as if the person guiding the production up to that point quit or died and the whole thing fell into the hands of incompetents. The story degrades at one point into something that looks like THE GODFATHER MEETS INVASION OF THE CYBERMEN, and keeps right on going downhill. I kept watching to the final episode to see if it would finally tie things up, but TEXHNOLYZE ultimately fizzles out completely into violent twaddle so totally incoherent that I wondered what toxic stuff the scriptwriters had been smoking.
:hitthetable: I don’t think the reviewer gets it, TBH. That climax resulted in the destabilization of the whole society, so of course everything falls apart & goes to hell. And yeah, Yoshii is easily the most important character in the series, and apart from maybe only one or two instances outside of anime, this is the only example I can think of that uses such an important character in such a way. He impacted the narrative to such an extent that he’s practically present for most of the rest of the show, and Texhnolyze rarely relies on flashbacks to make that effect. I thought it was pretty damn creative, myself.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Allemann » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:55 am

I don't like Texhnolyze, but the last scene in the last episode was one of the most beautiful endings I've seen in a Japanese animation.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:01 am

Merridian wrote:
Jimbo wrote: Wasn't Macross Plus a OVA? I actually have that and have seen it.
Macross Plus was the kickass OVA directed by Shinichiro Watanabe. Macross Zero was that other one.

Co-directed with Kawamori, actually. Kawamori was chief director but Watanabe is primaly responsible for storyboards.

Merridian wrote:
Xard wrote: Our hero is retarded paranoid fucknut who should've died way back in first ep.
:lol: he gets better. Or, well, he relegates himself to status of “witness” more than “hero”.

Sure, he finally behaved decently in last ep. Actually, you know, spoke. That's rad.

Merridian wrote::hitthetable: I don’t think the reviewer gets it, TBH. That climax resulted in the destabilization of the whole society, so of course everything falls apart & goes to hell. And yeah, Yoshii is easily the most important character in the series, and apart from maybe only one or two instances outside of anime, this is the only example I can think of that uses such an important character in such a way. He impacted the narrative to such an extent that he’s practically present for most of the rest of the show, and Texhnolyze rarely relies on flashbacks to make that effect. I thought it was pretty damn creative, myself.

Yeah, I suspected reviewer didn't "get it". :)

SPOILER: Show
Yoshii was just awesome. I'm seriously annoyed our punk protagonist ended up delivering that megaton punch that indirectly led to his demise. WTF man :(

Well, let's see what'll happen... I'm actually rather unable to comment on title so far apart from the fact form is masterful: though it didn't quite keep on level first ep seemed to imply

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:11 am

Just finished watching a little more of Monster right now. Got to say I admire Johann.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:38 am

UrsusArctos wrote:Got to say I admire Johann.

:uhh:

Just why I keep forgetting that I watched Neo-Tokyo before starting Texhnolyze...

It was really great. Recommended

Texhnolyze ep 13 here I come...

I wonder if anyone is ever going to genuinely smile in this show. Even Rei did that. Well, I'm doubtful. I also hope Ran survives to the end but somehow I suspect it's going to end in massive slaughter/EVERYONE FUCKING DIES scenario. (:|

I'd really like to know how Madhouse ever got budget big enough to do all the crazy shit they've been doing in this show. This doesn't exactly scream "bestseller! You get your money doubled back!"

Also, judging from how much this show uses dutch angles director must've been really drunk through the whole production :smirk:

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:43 am

Xard wrote:Our hero is retarded paranoid fucknut who should've died way back in first ep.
Hero is pretty much what he's always described as; a stray dog running on nothing but pure instinct. I think it was awfully bold to make the hero so damn inhuman.

Xard wrote:I'm a bit worried now since I read review yesterday that essentially said this:
Merridian covered it but I'll just say that I concur. Yeah, Yoshi's death is pretty much what triggers the breakdown of everything.

Xard wrote:I'm actually rather unable to comment on title so far apart from the fact form is masterful: though it didn't quite keep on level first ep seemed to imply
Ep. 19 and 20 (Heavenward and Hades) are two of the most amazing things I've ever seen in an anime. Just... well, I don't want to spoil them.

Allemann wrote:the last scene in the last episode was one of the most beautiful endings I've seen in a Japanese animation.
QFT.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:54 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I think it was awfully bold to make the hero so damn inhuman.
Well, it definitely doesn't help with the "Who are these people and why should I care?" test, that's for sure.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:01 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Xard wrote:Our hero is retarded paranoid fucknut who should've died way back in first ep.
Hero is pretty much what he's always described as; a stray dog running on nothing but pure instinct. I think it was awfully bold to make the hero so damn inhuman.

I got to agree with Mr. Tines here. It's not good thing all other characters were far more interesting either. Especially Ran and Yoshi. Onishi's badass too.

Ichisei started to become likeable in ep 11 or so and eventually turned out to be good enough guy. But in all honesty that's more than a bit too late. Add that together with absolutely disastrous pacing of first 7 eps or so I really can't blame anyone dropping the show.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Xard wrote:I'm actually rather unable to comment on title so far apart from the fact form is masterful: though it didn't quite keep on level first ep seemed to imply
Ep. 19 and 20 (Heavenward and Hades) are two of the most amazing things I've ever seen in an anime. Just... well, I don't want to spoil them.

If some mod had not decided to delete my two later posts (IT'S NOT MY FAULT NO ONE POSTED IN THIS WHOLE THREAd THROUGH THE DAY!!! GAHH!) you would've known I finished Texhnolyze yesterday. I watched whole show within two days's time frame.

And yes, those two eps were indeed amazing, especially visually. Stunning.

That said I don't know what to think about this show. Ending was eartshattering trainwreck of gigantic proportions and in every possible meaning of words.

by the time final scene came about I had already long gone into "oh boy, well ain't that nice :hohum: " mode and watched what happened with absurd bemusement.

As of now I could rate this anything from 7 to 10. It would be be a lot easier to judge if I didn't have to go through oozes of fanwank generated by single line in final episode (you know what I'm talking about)

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Allemann wrote:the last scene in the last episode was one of the most beautiful endings I've seen in a Japanese animation.
QFT.

The hilariously engrishy pronouncing kept me distracted well enough through that scene...talk about mood ruiner. I just thought all the time "damn why couldn't Sakamoto sing this instead" :lol:

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:31 pm

I deleted your posts. Take things in moderation. If I post in this thread every time I start watching a new anime, I'd be posting 10 times every day. It's not my blog so I don't bother, if anyone cares they can check my ANN list.

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:54 pm

I'm watching Welcome to the NHK right now. I like it. It's a great anime; it has solid themes and no annoying/stupid characters.
Last edited by LeoXiao on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:56 pm

LeoXiao wrote:It's a great anime

Fixed, because I believe you mistyped. :smirk:
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Sachi wrote:

Fixed

Agreed. I loved that show.
I want to watch it again but on DVD.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:34 pm

Sachi wrote:

Fixed, because I believe you mistyped. :smirk:

Actually, you're right now that I rethink it.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:44 pm

ok well I watched the firs t ep of dance of the vampire bund, not quite as strong a start as a lot of shafts other shows, but so far it is the best anime of the year for me, though given that its the only anime of the year I've seen so far this wasnt difficult. It's also the first anime of the decade for me. So how good of a start was this? I believe that the first anime of 2000 I saw was Noir which was a lot better then how this looked, and the first anime of the 90's I saw was super Atragon which was worse then this looked. So the answer is it could be worse.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:21 pm

@Xard & Tines RE Texhonlyze: I bumped the appropriate topic to reply. I don't want to derail this one.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:31 pm

SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO IS AMAZING.

I marathoned the last 14 episodes today. My review can be found on MAL, here. :) But really, who needs a review when there's a conveniently succinct five-word sound bite?

That is all.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:43 am

Just watched the first ep of Hidamari Sketch x☆☆☆. I love this series.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:42 am

Ornette wrote:I deleted your posts. Take things in moderation. If I post in this thread every time I start watching a new anime, I'd be posting 10 times every day. It's not my blog so I don't bother, if anyone cares they can check my ANN list.

yeah, I thought it was there on borderline of appropriatiness but I figured out they'd be merged with that big post. I did not expect deletion :tongue:

so, it's now either Monster or GitS: SAC

:chinscratch:

I also plan to watch Ponyo and Urotsukidoji on same day soon

is this awesome Y/N

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:11 am

Xard wrote:I also plan to watch Ponyo and Urotsukidoji on same day soon

is this awesome Y/N
Yes. Urotsukodoji is friggin hilarious/brilliant/amazing. I just wish I could get my hands on the actual OVA for an affordable price...

Now that SBY's over I'll be shifting my primarily attention over to SDF Macross. But since Patlabor TV hasn't come in yet, nor even the rest of Macross (they should be in very soon, though), I think I'll just start on Macross Frontier... :)

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Allemann » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:23 am

Merridian wrote: Yes. Urotsukodoji is friggin hilarious/brilliant/amazing. I just wish I could get my hands on the actual OVA for an affordable price...

I consider Return of the Overfiend best part of the saga.

Return to “Old Stickies”